What type of iron is best absorbed? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-18-2004, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know what types of supplemental iron are most absorbable for a toddler and has the fewest side effects (like constipation, etc)?

DD is anemic despite my attempts to add iron to her diet...I didn't get the numbers because dh spoke to the doc on the phone (they're really a pain in the a** about giving info over the phone, so I haven't called them back to get the details). I am looking for a natural multivitamin that has a safe type of iron in it for her.

I bought some vitamins at the health food store, but I'd love more info on this before I give her too many of the wrong type...
TIA
#2 of 4 Old 05-18-2004, 02:26 AM

Ferrous gluconate is good -- found in Floradix, among others.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#3 of 4 Old 05-18-2004, 09:56 AM

ITA w/ Pookietooth - and Floridix is a very gentle and effective supplement
Steer clear of ferrous sulfate. Basically, look for a vegetarian supplement since the iron will be plant based and easily stored and used
#4 of 4 Old 05-18-2004, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

The vitamins I bought are 'Animal Parade' by nature plus. It's a vegetarian multivitamin with iron (I was giving her a non-iron multi before).

It says Iron is from 'aminoate complex'...it's 5mg (50% of daily value for children under 4), but I just realized that the serving size is 2 tablets, so she's only going to get 2.5mg per tab.

Do you think thats enough? What's the dosage on the floradix? I looked at the ped-recommended ferinsol web page, and their dosage (ferrous sulfate) is 7.5mg per day...but I figure that they expect a lot of that will not be absorbed because it's in that form, right?

Thanks again...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page