Is green tea safe for children? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 04-21-2015, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Is green tea safe for children?

it just seems like a great oral health product as well as prevention of many diseases. I wonder about the idea that it may stunt growth. Does anyone have any opinions or facts on green tea for children?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-22-2015, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Green tea contains caffeine. Caffeine is addictive and can cause various problems.
#3 of 9 Old 04-22-2015, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

While i completely understand the caffeine issue. I do wonder if certain cultures who consume a lot of green tea would be giving it to their children? This is just out of curiosity and general wonderment. Chocolate contains caffeine as well as soda, not that I agree with giving children these items, but surely green tea has much less caffeine and boasts numerous health benefits as well. Anyone have any research links on either side of the coin?
#4 of 9 Old 04-23-2015, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I just did a quick search and the content in green tea varies from 140 mg to 6 mg. It can have more than a serving of chocolate. There can be lots of variation in plant material. Anyway, Look up the numbers for the brand you use and recognize the dose can vary if you use brands with an unknown content.

I agree that some caffeine intake is not that big a deal. Just be aware of the fact that it will cause mood, sleep, and activity level changes in your kids.

Last edited by muddie; 04-23-2015 at 05:40 AM.
#5 of 9 Old 04-23-2015, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I've been going through this thread and I'm very interested. We drink tea at home at night - yes, green tea specifically. My daughter has tried it and liked it too, but we only drink it in moderation. I guess if caffeine is the only thing I have to be worried about, I'll be ok.

Someone told me that apple has caffeine, which made me interested. It's not that apple has caffeine. In case you are interested, here is an article about apples and caffeine.
#6 of 9 Old 04-25-2015, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I know that drinking green tea has good effects on the body but I just can't stand the taste of it, it taste like grass lol so I don't expect my kids to like it also.
#7 of 9 Old 04-29-2015, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would have never considered green tea as a tea for babies, I wonder how comes they enjoy the tangy taste... anyway, aside from caffeine, green tea also has tannins that can affect the iron level, here is an article with more details http://www.livestrong.com/article/40...ntain-tannins/. Why not try another herbal tea that is more suitable for baby?
#8 of 9 Old 04-29-2015, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I guess since my daughter is used to drinking tea, she has acquired a taste for it? I come from a family of tea drinkers. In my old job, bosley, if you are familiar with this company, my colleagues and I were tea drinkers too. The tea drinking has probably rubbed off on my daughter

Last edited by verticalscope; 05-21-2015 at 06:02 AM.
#9 of 9 Old 04-30-2015, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

My children also love the taste of green tea and any other tea for that matter. But I agree with the tannins and caffeine issues. Thanks ladies, I think we'll try some green tea mouthwash!

Recommended Reading
User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page