Veg Mamas Tribal Roll Call and Veg Support: June Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 223 Old 06-14-2004, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I come??

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 223 Old 06-14-2004, 11:35 PM

Sounds delish Annie. Hey, if you need any potato salad recipies, let me know. I just picked up The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook, and it's got (can you guess?) tons of potato salad recipies, many of them, if not all, vegan.
Pikku - I agree with you, I guess my question is, will we be kicked off good eating if we don't exclusively talk about food? I feel like if they move us here, it's ok, as long as we can keep posting how we have been in FYT.

Mama to 3:
#63 of 223 Old 06-15-2004, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

I say we post jus like we have been.. start a new thread every month... im not happy and i do hope that non vegs will not leave bad comments on this thread...

ok i want some potato salad recipes...

Yes im lethargic too.. its the heat and humidity.. man i took a nap this afternoon i couldnt handle it.. im glad my apt is in the basement of my building.. its nice and cool down here... :LOL

i made a vegan mac salad the other day with my vegan mayo and it was good.. dd gobbled down 2 bowls.. gonna have to use that since its nice and cool.. anyone have any good vegetarian recipes for cold pastas.. and yes i know about www.vegweb.com i jus wanna see if any of my mommas have tried and true recipes... even if its L/O i can easily modify it.. so post ladies!!!

hmmm maybe we should do a vegetarian summer food thread.. where we can put some of our fave summer dishes up that require little cooking... what do you all think???

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#64 of 223 Old 06-15-2004, 12:30 AM

Agreed on all points Tricia. I'm looking for recipies for my mamas!

Mama to 3:
#65 of 223 Old 06-15-2004, 12:42 AM

childish- but I'm still so annoyed this thread is in here. Sure it is about food- but it is also about shoes, sofa's, makeup, social issues, travel, clothing, kids, school, guests, advocasy, everything! It is more of an alternative lifestyle than a food thing.

We went out for Japanese tonight- OMG this is our favorite food in the whole world. And they cook my veggies and the other side of the grill from the meat. They seat you at a big table with strangers and repeat what you ordered to everyone before they begin to confirm- so when they get to me and say "vegetarian?" I get to proudly nod my head and it usually sparks an interesting conversation if my kids aren't to wild. Tonight the woman said she could never go veg. I told her I thought the same thing, but it has been so much easier than I thought. I said "I watched this movie called "meet your meat" on the computer and I just knew I couldn't eat meat anymore. I haven't looked back, and I'm shocked at how much my health, cravings and tastes have changed since then!" The well, kind of funny part is that the chef forgot I had ordered vegetarian and out of habit dropped the shrimp (2 come with each meal) on my plate and as soon as he dropped he knew what he had done. he felt bad so I just put them off to the side. Shrimp is sometimes even my DH has given up- because we read that for every 1 pound of shrimp caught 4 pounds of sea life are killed and wasted.

I really do feel worlds better since going veg. The only problem I'm having is that during my period I think my iron gets low. So I've just has to be careful to really adjust my diet accordingly. Lots of broccoli, spinach and citrus.

So, I told playgroup I'd take hummis in the morning and I am out of tahini. I have sesame seeds can I make some or must I go shopping before playgroup?
#66 of 223 Old 06-15-2004, 09:16 AM

I also agree that being vegetarian/vegan is much more than just food, it is a lifestyle.

Oh I'd love to hear some summer recipe ideas. I usually make a pasta salad byjust tossing in whatever veggies I have, sometimes some italian dressing or vegan mayonnaise.
#67 of 223 Old 06-15-2004, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

ok starting a food only thread on quick summer dish ideas...

and someone better post a potato salad recipe on there... :LOL

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#68 of 223 Old 06-15-2004, 10:42 AM

Does anyone have any good links that talk about food combining?My DH thinks Im a nutcase for going veggie and thinks out children are going to starve because they arent getting the nutrients they need from meat
Speaking of makeup, what brands and types are considered vegan? I love makeup and need to be caught up to speed on that aspect of it. There was a news report last night, but I missed it, about the dangers of products such as makeup, shampoo and lotion to your body. Im going to look now to see if I can find it
#69 of 223 Old 06-15-2004, 11:07 AM

Just wanted to let you all know I posted a few recipies on the thread Tricia started. (Some potato salads, yes!)
Also..........I was going through this and our original thread last night.......did you know we have 51 different members using those 2 threads? I think that's great, maybe there are more of us here than we realize

Mama to 3:
#70 of 223 Old 06-15-2004, 12:25 PM

I was wondering what you guys were doing for dp for father's day (I apoligize in advance to those of you with no dps). We're moving the day before and working the day of, but I thought maybe I could still plan something.....I don't know. We went to a movie last weekend for father's day, but I still feel I should do something more, maybe. So what do you all have planned?

Mama to 3:
#71 of 223 Old 06-15-2004, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isosmom
I was wondering what you guys were doing for dp for father's day (I apoligize in advance to those of you with no dps). We're moving the day before and working the day of, but I thought maybe I could still plan something.....I don't know. We went to a movie last weekend for father's day, but I still feel I should do something more, maybe. So what do you all have planned?
well this is what I would have planned,except my dh decided to go to the college world series with his dad, so we wont be seeing him that day. We would be going to a park to have a picnic and play with the kids. My dh owns his own buisness, so he has long hours and doesnt get that much time with the kids, so doing something like park time is something I usually only get to do with them. I also like to have the kids make him some kind of art project, havent decided what yet.
#72 of 223 Old 06-15-2004, 03:37 PM

Awesome, Annie, awesome:-)
#73 of 223 Old 06-15-2004, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I havent decided what im gonna do for myself for fathers day.... im both mommy and daddy so im celebrating darn it...

i will probably take dd out to lunch and go see Garfield the movie... sounds like fun to me... :LOL

P.S. Isosmom no need to apologize...

#74 of 223 Old 06-15-2004, 06:16 PM

My DH has spent all our money on kayaking (gear, gas/food to take boating trips, fees to enter rodeos,etc). So I feel no need to *buy* him anything, since we're all broke now . He wants to go to Salida, CO to enter a kayaking rodeo on Father's day. So that's what we're doing.. woo-hoo, hanging out with a bunch of college aged guys drinking beer... (not sure if I'm glad to party or bummed cause there'll be no other mamas there)...

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#75 of 223 Old 06-15-2004, 06:48 PM

FWIW: I'm glad you've been relocated. I'd never read this thread before. I'm enjoying it and getting a lot of ideas. I hope you all continue to share here.

If you've got a good non-dairy smoothie recipe, I'd love to have it. If you know a way I can get "good" fat in there for my toddler, but leave it out for the rest of us, that's even better. TIA.
#76 of 223 Old 06-15-2004, 11:29 PM

Let me be the first to welcome you Chelle. I think we've got a good thing going here. I'll look into the smoothie thing, but I think you can just sub soy or rice milk, it's what I do. Why don't you want to eat good fats? They're good!
Uh..........anyone else notice Keys Mama absence? Where are you?????????

Mama to 3:
#77 of 223 Old 06-16-2004, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

for smoothies.. i jus put soy milk, fruits, ice, and sucanet or other sweetner in (if needed) and blend... thats about it...

there are good healthy fats out there... avocado, and flax seeds and oils

yeah where is keys mama?????

#78 of 223 Old 06-16-2004, 02:15 AM

We just use soy/rice milk, fruit and a frozen banana to make smoothies.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#79 of 223 Old 06-16-2004, 09:20 AM

We to use soy/rice/almond milk. In fact we use it in everything in place of cows milk. I've never had a problem making anything with it in place. Even baked foods and alfredo sauce
#80 of 223 Old 06-16-2004, 09:21 AM

So does anyone wanna talk leather? I want to understand more about the industry. Most of us have leather shoes- even my birks are leather. Are there vegan robeez style shoes for kids?

Also- lets talk wood. I've been wood crazy- it's natural right? I was watching a national geographic movie on siberian tigers. 10,000 acres a DAY are being taken from their habitat. I can't imagine how many animals that is harming. And that is only one area. Wood can't be all that good now I'm feeling. Plastic has horrors to. I'm thinking maybe of switching to bamboo kitchen wares- does anyone know anything about it? I know it grows like weeds and is highly renewable- but I know little about the trade end. What about toys?

Now they'll be sorry they moved this to nutrition *evil grin* : Seriously though, these are some non food veggie related issues I'm struggling with.
#81 of 223 Old 06-16-2004, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Welcome Amanda! You've got my name and I grew up in Concord :LOL. Wonder if I know you....
Maybe I'm your alter ego :

I want to mention that I just had a physical and a whole blood work up and my doctor was amazed. My cholesterol was the best she's ever seen and I was not deficient in anything. She asked me about my eating habits and I told her and she was very interested.

Leather: I only buy leather products second hand. I've read the tanning industry is horrible for the environment not to mention to the animals who give up their skins. I've been tempted to order shoes but how can I be sure they'll be comfortable? I have picky feet. So, I read the labels in the store or I buy shoes second hand. I go barefoot at home.
#82 of 223 Old 06-16-2004, 11:52 AM

Amandzia and chellemarie~

As for smoothies--just soy/rice milk, banana, fruit and blend.
Some of my Faves:

chocolate soy milk, banana, and a nut butter
vanilla soy milk, and peaches~kinda like peaches and cream
soy milk, banana, blueberries and wheat germ~my usual breakfast one

The fats we use are veg oil, olive oil, avocados, and soy margarine (for baking).

Rainbow~I have been wondering the same thing. I have been trying to become plastic free but there is soooooo much to get rid of! I would not be able to be on the computer! It just makes me sad to think of all of the plastic in the world. Wood seems like a good thing but it is decvastating to the environment. I did a research paper on Deforestation and if I need to use wood, I try to use leftovers from contruction sites, or wood that cam efrom old houses.

I have been doing some research on bamboo and that is what we will use for the floors in the house we will build. I also saw bamboo cutting boards and trivets. I think bamboo is really pretty.

As for the other, I know that Birks have vegan shoes that are called Birko-Flor. They don't have any animal products in them.

mamacarey~when I use makeup I use barescentuals. It is a makeup made from powdered minerals.

Where is Keysmama?

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#83 of 223 Old 06-16-2004, 12:01 PM

I just thought of something.

Maybe, if we all feel strongly about wanting to be back in FYT, we could PM Cynthia our reasons for being there? Maybe she will move us back, yk?

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#84 of 223 Old 06-16-2004, 12:10 PM

We use PETA's Caring Consumers guide when shopping. It has which companies don't test on animals and also marks the ones who sell vegan products. Some of the entries have web ordering, which is convenient.
Does anyone have their pets on vegan diets? I was joking to my step daughter the other day that the only meat in the house was the cat food. She thinks I'm completely nuts anyway. The cat is almost 16 yrs old (same age as my step daughter) and I'm scared to change his diet at this point.
#85 of 223 Old 06-16-2004, 12:21 PM

From what I've read the animal food is a by-product of the meat industry. Basically the animals to sickly for human consumption are put in animal food. YICK. I used to feed my dog vegan dog food- but I had a small dog that didn't eat much. It seems it would break you if you had a larger dog. I also scrambled eggs with rice every day or two to be sure she was getting enough since they are pretty much omni's by nature. We also had a dog who would catch it's own food from time to time. blech.
#86 of 223 Old 06-16-2004, 12:27 PM

I to love bamboo- I just adore how it looks and there are all kinds of bamboo kitchen options. I don't know about toys though. Right now we have to many toys so it will be awhile before we have to think about toys- but I feel uncomfortable with wood toys now. I like to buy used- but wood toys are hard to find used.
As I need to replace things in my kitchen I'll for sure be replacing them with bamboo. And our blinds and such are already all bamboo. I didn't know they made bamboo flooring.

I don't know that I could justify buying new vegan birks- I buy them used now. I guess to me it is feeling like justifying eating meat by saying that someone else bought it and it will just get thrown out. I'm still buying used leather- but it is feelign wrong.
#87 of 223 Old 06-16-2004, 03:58 PM

oh, yeah, our cat still catches mice, rats, and even squirrals. He leaves the raccoons alone, however.

I agree about even used leather feeling wrong. It's pretty gross when you think about how this was somebody's skin. When it's fur, it's obvious, but leather doesn't actually look like the animal, so I sometimes forget. Some things you can't even tell if it's real leather or not until you read the tag.
#88 of 223 Old 06-16-2004, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

my cats are the carnivores in my family... but i buy holistic food.. which is fit for human consumption, organic, and free range, and killed humanely in order to prevent the release of stress hormones ... hence the term holistic...

its actually not that much more expensive.. and they love it.. and it doesnt smell as revolting as the other crap...

#89 of 223 Old 06-16-2004, 05:21 PM

tricia- where do you buy the holistic food from?

Ok just a mini vent here. While watching some tv today, which is not usual for me. But commercials just annoy me. What's w/the 24/24 for milk to lose weight? The 3 a day thing for dairy. Then I was thinking of other commercials the beef-whats for dinner, pork the other white meat, etc... Ok so how come no one is advertising for the veggies out there. I mean is there an agency out there designed for the promotion of healthy fruits and veggies? Sure I see an occasional green giant commercial but really? It seems they are sure advertising heavily for dairy and meat.
#90 of 223 Old 06-16-2004, 05:47 PM

I guess because the most money is there?

tricia- where do you buy? The small bag of cat food at our co-op is 8.00 and we feed many a neighbohood cat so it gets pricey compared to the 2.00 grocery store bag.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page