Veg Mamas Tribal Roll Call and Veg Support: June Thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 223 Old 06-08-2004, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well here we are in June... and a new thread since some ppl were sayin the other thread is tooo long....

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#2 of 223 Old 06-08-2004, 11:14 AM

:
So, we have been an 'ethical vegetarian' home for about 8 years or so, and have always done cloth furniture. Now we are really in need of something more stainproof and dh wants leather
Yesterday I was at a friends home who had a new leather sectional and I must admit it was dreamy to sit on ( cool, smooth, etc) but she cringed FOR me at the 'dead cow' aspect.
So anyone have any ideas on nice non-leather furniture that is not too cheap (has to last!)
#3 of 223 Old 06-08-2004, 11:16 AM

Keysmama, Our looks like suede and feels like suede.....Nylon!
#4 of 223 Old 06-08-2004, 11:19 AM

#5 of 223 Old 06-08-2004, 12:17 PM

After going back and doing more than "skimming" the previously posted article, I realized the date is way passed! I don't know why this hit my mail this morning because "Jan '03" is stated there. Sorry for any panic-like attacks I may have caused.
My Bad. :
#6 of 223 Old 06-08-2004, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysMama
So anyone have any ideas on nice non-leather furniture that is not too cheap (has to last!)
Yeah, this it probably why I've lived with the big leather sectional that my dh bought before we were married - that & it cost $5,000. We can't afford to toss it yet! It is durable, but when we do eventually replace it, I would like something that isn't dead animal skin. I'll watch closely for any suggestions!
#7 of 223 Old 06-08-2004, 12:58 PM

I hear that (one of my favorite designers) Todd Oldham is now making faux-skin furniture for one of the big fancy chains, but I haven't tracked it down yet. It is sure to be pricey.
#8 of 223 Old 06-08-2004, 02:29 PM

I like that micro-fiber stuff on furniture.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#9 of 223 Old 06-08-2004, 02:56 PM

Hi I was wondering if there were any alternatives to replace chicken nuggets that arent soy? My ds has a limited diet (read my last post on the other veggie thread) but loves chicken nuggets. What about hamburgers? anyone have any good veggie burger recipies?
#10 of 223 Old 06-08-2004, 07:07 PM

mamcarey - I don't know about nuggets that are totally non-soy, but I do have a mushroom based one that has a little tofu in it if you are interested. Also have a great black bean burger recipie that my dd just gobbled up. Let me know if you are interested.

Mama to 3:
#11 of 223 Old 06-08-2004, 09:20 PM

isosmom~ Those recipes sound great! Can you pm them to me?

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#12 of 223 Old 06-09-2004, 10:22 AM

We just can't post copyrighted recipes. Those have to go through PM.
#13 of 223 Old 06-09-2004, 10:28 AM
tug

i've heard good things about the microfiber stuff being very cleanable. we have dh's 30 year old leather sofa from his family. it actually looked great until our stupid cat malled the arms and back. we've been ovo lacto vegs for 12 years (16 for dh), though, so having a leather sofa does seem a bit odd, but it doesn't hold the dog/cat/baby milk smells like fabric so it does work well. dh has said that leather is a by-product of the meat-eating industry and is, therefore, not as bad. i don't know though...
#14 of 223 Old 06-09-2004, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug
dh has said that leather is a by-product of the meat-eating industry and is, therefore, not as bad. i don't know though...

Unfortunately, leather has it's own industry.
#15 of 223 Old 06-09-2004, 11:49 AM

Emmama and mamapenelope, check your pmS. Hope you ladies enjoy them!

Mama to 3:
#16 of 223 Old 06-09-2004, 06:04 PM

Oh yeah, and I just found that recipie for Whole Foods vegan chocolate mousse that I can't shut up about of anyone's interested

Mama to 3:
#17 of 223 Old 06-09-2004, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

I want the recipes... especially the vegan chocolate mousse one... mmmmm

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#18 of 223 Old 06-09-2004, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia80
I want the recipes... especially the vegan chocolate mousse one... mmmmm
lalalalala I'm not listening lalalalala
#19 of 223 Old 06-10-2004, 12:09 AM

please send me the yummy recipies too
#20 of 223 Old 06-10-2004, 12:28 PM

Hi all. I'm dealing with the dreaded father's day bbq in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone had any ideas about a potluck type vegan dish to bring. I'll be going late because of work, but thought I could bring something.....I hate going to my dad's, after all these years my step-mom still thinks it's a phase.......
I was wondering where you all lived and how supportive your community is with your life choices, alright, your not all of them, just your ethical eating choices I live in Alameda, CA which is the city next to Oakland and across the bay from San Francisco. Obviously we've got tons of veg restaurants (at least veg options at normal restuarants). The markets are great, but I still have trouble finding something vegan at restaurants. I always have to ask them to hold the cheese. I find I don't really want to eat out too much anymore, esp. when there will be one or two things I can eat! How bout you all?

Mama to 3:
#21 of 223 Old 06-10-2004, 01:35 PM

isosmom~ First, thanky you for the yummy recipes!! The mushroom nuggets are soooo Second, ugh must be nice! I live in the middle of farming central and also there are ranchers here . We have a few HFS here, but it would be nice to have a VEG resturant! DH family doesn't know and I don't think that they will be very supportive. I am weird to them anyway and since DH is omni (although transitioning), I doubt he will support my decision to have the kids not eat meat. We are visiting them this next week and I think that I am going to have to go food shopping unless I plan on icegerg lettuce salads. Can someone tell me why people think that stuff is healthy ??? I am SOOOO jealous of the ppl that live close to veg resturants, Wild Oats, and/or WFM!

why Why WHY do ppl think that kids NEED to eat meat? My mother is supportive of them not eating meat but she doesn't think it is a good idea to raise them vegan. I REALLy need to get Erin's book.........in two weeks when we have extra money.

Erin Pavlina~does veg family still have a coupon for a vita mix? I think I will be getting one of those here too.

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#22 of 223 Old 06-10-2004, 02:18 PM

Isosmom - Alameda is such a cute little town! It kind of has that 'beach town' feel like Santa Cruz to me - more so than most of the other cities in the bay area. We are living in northern Colorado now - about 45 mins. to an hour south of Wyoming. We moved here from Oakland (right near Mills College) when our oldest was 4 months old. Where we live now is a very nice place to raise kids, very family friendly, etc., but not nearly as veg-friendly as the bay area.

We will be staying w/ my dh's sister in San Carlos later this summer when we come out that way to visit & I am really looking forward to eating at restaurants, etc. I guess that it is all relative. The first person whom I told that I was vegan here said, "cool, I'm pagan, too!" No one seems to know what a vegan is & my older daughter was the first vegetarian child that her kg teacher had had in 27 years of teaching!

Actually, one of my dh's co-workers thought himself to be vegan, but he eats dairy, egg, fish & poultry . I guess that he is no longer calling himself vegan since we spoke at the last X-mas party.

I usually bring salads to potlucks. I have a recipe for a really good wheatberry salad that has mint, pine nuts, wheat & rye berries, lightly cooked red onions, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil & maybe some other stuff that I am not remembering right now. It is a copyrighted one, so I'll pm it to you if you want. It usually goes over really well at potlucks even in my less than adventurous eating region of the country! You do have to soak the wheat & rye berries overnight, though.
#23 of 223 Old 06-10-2004, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaN
The first person whom I told that I was vegan here said, "cool, I'm pagan, too!"
I'm dying here!
And oh yeah, I'd love that recipie.

Mama to 3:
#24 of 223 Old 06-10-2004, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

:LOL

#25 of 223 Old 06-10-2004, 08:37 PM

Emamama,

Yes, you can get free shipping on your vitamix even if you buy a reconditioned model.

Use coupon code: ITEPA02
#26 of 223 Old 06-11-2004, 01:19 AM

hey... I was wonderin where everybody went! Well, now that I found you, I'll apologize for posting all those recipes on the old thread. I did not know that it was a . sorry.
Anyhow, We just got our 15 dollar slipcovers from ebay and love em! They're way better than sitting on leather. And washable and still soft fabric. and just darn pretty, too! And we'll still have our stylish couches years from now with no residue of spit up, smeared peanut butter & the like .

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#27 of 223 Old 06-11-2004, 11:39 AM

Isosmom, I pmed you the recipe, but I got a strange email yesterday in my regular email saying that a msg I had sent didn't go thru. I didn't recognize the email address to which it said that I sent the email, so anyway, if you didn't get it, let me know & I'll try again.
#28 of 223 Old 06-11-2004, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Dready mama thanks for joining us

:LOL

#29 of 223 Old 06-11-2004, 03:38 PM

Ok Merrie, munching, mammas! I'm drawing a blank for ideas and I need some major mammas inspiration! I have been asked if I will cater a veggie meal for a couple dozen people from appetizers to desert in a buffet style set up. The gist: it's for omnis. That's right. Someone wants to pay me to make a luncheon that will be a testament to delicious veg food and show that veg*ns don't exist on salad, salad, and salad. So salad is out (LOL). They want "colorful, both hot and cold, delicious, and easy to recreate (recipe cards for each dish) that do not have alot of "hard to obtain ingredients"....no pressure.... HELP! (If you can) ...Thanks a bazillion.
#30 of 223 Old 06-11-2004, 07:55 PM

Christa, I got the recipie, thanks.
Annie, I'm thinking of ideas for you.
Dready, I was wondering where you were.......

Mama to 3:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page