Anyone ever use "Fit produce wash"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-13-2002, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you ever used "Fit produce wash" on your fruits & veggies? It's an all-natural wash the removes 99% of pesticides, etc. You just soak your produce in it for a few minutes, and I swear my broccoli is greener, the berries are brighter, and everything tastes much better too!

I use it when local organic is too expensive...

Just wondering if ya'll have ever used it or tried it?
#2 of 11 Old 06-13-2002, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use the Big Lots version. It's actually Heinz veggie wash- it has vinegar, a food surfactant, and water in it, and does claim to be all natural. At Big Lots, each eight ounce spray thing is 99 cents! I stock up.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#3 of 11 Old 06-14-2002, 10:08 AM

I use Bi-o-kleen all-purpose cleaner and degreaser diluted in a spray bottle. Much cheaper than prepackaged produce cleaners, all natural, and it does seem to actually cut through that greasy/waxy stuff you sometimes get on apples, cukes, etc. After a short soak our grapes are so shiny they look fake!
#4 of 11 Old 06-14-2002, 12:01 PM

I have wondered about this sort of thing, but never used it. Are there any drawbacks? I mean, can it cause cancer or something down the line? I usually just wash off my produce with some water, but maybe I should be doing more.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#5 of 11 Old 06-14-2002, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought some . I think it is a scam. You still have to scrub your veggies for 30 second. A little baking soda and that much scrubbing would do the trick too. No need for something fancy. I thought all would have to do is spray it on and rub it around. So for the money it seemed like a waste.

Careful with things that say all natural. Many harmful chemicals are all natural but that doesn't nessicarily mean healthy or safe.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 11 Old 06-14-2002, 09:55 PM

I bought it a few years ago, but I don;t really use it.
#7 of 11 Old 06-17-2002, 11:56 PM

Save your money and make your own.

I use vinegar and water in a spray bottle.

#8 of 11 Old 07-07-2002, 11:18 PM

I bought some to get my hands on the nice was bowl and collander that came with it I use some stuff I bought in the co-op to wash the veggies, I suppose I will have to use up the fit stuff before I buy anything else:
#9 of 11 Old 07-07-2002, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've used Veggie Wash, which says it was mostly a combination of grapefruit seed extract and citrus oils, I used Bio-Kleen dish soap which was also citrusy, but soapy as well; then I tried another kind of produce wash called something like Enviro something or other. I don't think I've ever actually tried the Fit brand. I think I liked Veggie Wash the best because it smells like grapefruit. I'll just use vinegar from now on, though.
#10 of 11 Old 07-08-2002, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I just get the produce wet and then swipe my finger around the top of the dish-soap bottle and rub the soap onto the produce and rinse thoroughly. I use plant-based dish soaps (Sun & Earth at the moment) and I realize that doesn't mean they're totally safe to swallow, but if it's okay to eat with a spoon washed in the stuff, it must be okay to eat veggies washed with it! This way I don't mess around with any special spray bottles or other extra clutter.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#11 of 11 Old 07-08-2002, 02:49 PM

I use veggie wash, which I like a lot. The spray bottle is user-friendly, IMO. When this bottle is empty, I am going to fill it back up with grapefruitseed extract diluted in water.

Using some sort of produce wash makes a huge difference, IMO. Especially if you go through a lot of produce every week like we do.

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page