Traditional Foods (NT) Mamas-June Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 128 Old 07-07-2004, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What kind of beans were they? Sometimes the bigger beans are harder to digest. Also food combining with beans is important. Usually avoiding having dairy with beans helps to eliminate flatulence.

Some people just have a hard time digesting the beans no matter, in that case one could take a veg source digestive enyzme to help or eat some alfalfa sprouts with the meal.

Meadowsweet is a great herb to aid digestion. Along with fennel, peppermint and apple cidar vinegar.
#62 of 128 Old 07-07-2004, 04:25 PM

They were pinto beans, and yes, I haven't eaten beans in a loooong time other than lentils. I have never liked the texture. There was a very small amount of cheese in the loaf, but I honestly don't think that had anything to do with it. Anyhow, the fennel really took care of it, and when I had them the second day, I had no problems.

As for my tortillas, they were made with regular white self rising flour. I usually use whole wheat flour, but we're pretty much out of it, and this is something dh bought before we got married, and we're too poor to buy more flour right now, so I'm using it. I would like to try with whole wheat flour when I have more, though. There's something in store bought bread products (tortillas, pita bread, and esp. Boboli pizza crusts) that makes me sick when I eat it. I get nauseous and headachey. It lasts for a short time, but obviously there's something bad in them. I make all my own bread products now.
#63 of 128 Old 07-07-2004, 11:24 PM

i always liked epazote in my beans for those reasons (and taste) as well.

suse

ps, alfalfa sprouts- what was it sf said about them? some toxin? (i don't have the book right now.)
#64 of 128 Old 07-09-2004, 01:12 PM

Just popping in....I tried the NT roasted chicken recipe and it is to die for. Easy, quick and awesome.
#65 of 128 Old 07-09-2004, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
So, I am pretty excited about the change and I am grateful that I have found a sustainable lifestyle to pass on to my children.
Me too, Gale Force, me too. Your experience sounds similar to mine. Sometimes I feel like crying thinking about how I shortchanged my dd's nutrition, especially seeing studies that link fish consumption in pregnancy to children with better language and communication skills (I'm assuming because of the DHA/EPA in fish). http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?oneclick=true I never took any EFA supplements during my pregnancy/early lactation b/c I didn't know how important they were.

And while my dd seems pretty healthy other than the tooth decay and eczema, hit all her developmental marks at the right times and seems pretty perky mentally, the fact is that she could have been better off and it was my ignorance that caused it. I'm still working through my major mama guilt on this. Sorry to bring y'all down.
#66 of 128 Old 07-10-2004, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji
Me too, Gale Force, me too. Your experience sounds similar to mine. Sometimes I feel like crying thinking about how I shortchanged my dd's nutrition, especially seeing studies that link fish consumption in pregnancy to children with better language and communication skills (I'm assuming because of the DHA/EPA in fish). http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?oneclick=true I never took any EFA supplements during my pregnancy/early lactation b/c I didn't know how important they were.

And while my dd seems pretty healthy other than the tooth decay and eczema, hit all her developmental marks at the right times and seems pretty perky mentally, the fact is that she could have been better off and it was my ignorance that caused it. I'm still working through my major mama guilt on this. Sorry to bring y'all down.

Oh, please work on letting go of that mama guilt! We have enough of what I call "guiltmones" without you holding onto that. I have 3 children and am pregnant with our 4th. For the first two I ate a standard american diet, complete with fast food on a regular basis. These last 2 I've followed a NT diet. My 1st 2 children are smart as whips! DD spoke in complete sentences and was telling us coherent stories at the age of 1! They are fine. It is our bodies that suffer from a lacking diet. Our babies get all they need!
With care,
Angel
#67 of 128 Old 07-10-2004, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Angel, thank you for that. I am feeling much better today.
#68 of 128 Old 07-10-2004, 05:11 PM
Banned

#69 of 128 Old 07-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Banned

Hugs to you toraji.

Does anyone get mail-order beef and especially beef bones in the PNW area? I checked the eatwild website and there was nothing in my area I'm going to ask around a little more and see what I can find, but in the meantime I wouldn't mind getting good stuff through the mail. I sooo need my broth, seems like I can't make anything without it.
For those of you who get local meat and dairy, how did you go about finding it? Any other websites?

Josefina.
#70 of 128 Old 07-10-2004, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsan
Hugs to you toraji.

Does anyone get mail-order beef and especially beef bones in the PNW area? I checked the eatwild website and there was nothing in my area I'm going to ask around a little more and see what I can find, but in the meantime I wouldn't mind getting good stuff through the mail. I sooo need my broth, seems like I can't make anything without it.
For those of you who get local meat and dairy, how did you go about finding it? Any other websites?

Josefina.

Hi Josefina~ Try calling butchers in your area. Look in the yellow pages. You may find one that raises their own stuff the old fashion way? We have one (an hour away now that we moved : ) that has grass fed beef. They aren't organic, but they don't use antibiotics, hormones or spray the grass! Another avenue would be to ask at your local hfs, they will sometimes know of farms that raise their own stuff. Good luck! I also can't live without my broth!
Angel
#71 of 128 Old 07-10-2004, 08:16 PM

Yeah, toraji, I feel guilty too at times, but I am very grateful that I found out about all of this when I did. That's the "spin" on my depression -- without it, we'd all still be vegetarians.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#72 of 128 Old 07-12-2004, 07:46 PM

Found my "dealer" through my WPF site. :LOL They also sell at a local farmer's market.
#73 of 128 Old 07-14-2004, 12:20 PM

Well, I made another batch of the raspberry drink and left it out for two days without checking it. By the time I got to it, it had a bunch of mold on top. I guess 100 degrees is a bit warm. MY beet kvass also developed some moldy spots.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#74 of 128 Old 07-14-2004, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

morsan, try http://www.localharvest.org

also try local farmer's markets, and the Ashland Food Cooperative. The coop may have a local bulletin board that people post food stuff for sale. Heck, they may even sell pastured products!
#75 of 128 Old 07-14-2004, 04:19 PM

yay! been on the (always long) waiting list at my library for nt, & it is mine again! (for 4 weeks, lol.) always good to refresh, i was thinking about that beet kvass (i love beets.)

suse

about to delve into about TWENTY POUNDS of apples from my trees to make apple butter; darn that i don't have a press or juicer to make cider instead! after all those plums! at least i didn't have to PEEL them!
#76 of 128 Old 07-15-2004, 06:06 AM

I need some meat roasting I have no idea how to roast a bit of animal, other than to keep an eye on it the whole time. I am going out tomorrow afternoon to the hair dresser. It usually turns into a long trip as my hair is long & take ages to do anything to. I've got a 3lb or so leg of lamb I need to roast for dh & the kids whilst I am gone. I also need to get the veges roasted at the same time as I'll be home pretty much in time for dinner. Now if it was a nut roast I'd be sweet. I would just leave everything on real low so it cooks in the middle & then turn it up to brown when I get home. Problem is I am not sure about the meat at all if I try that approach. Nut roast does not need cooking in the same way as meat does.

Any ideas or suggestions? We've got potatoes, yams, kumara & pumpkin & possibly some parsnips to roast with it.

I have managed to get myself a dehydrator. I am picking it up this weekend. I am going to try making some crispy nuts & also some pemican with it when I get it. Anyone make pemican ? I figure it would be good to send with dd to kindegarten for her lunch.

I tried some soy milk this week for the first time in 10 months probably as the farm I get my milk from has stopped milking for the next 2 months. Euww!!!! I cannot believe I used to live off that stuff. Yikes it is so sweet & just funny tasting.

Suse I've ordered an 18kg box of apples from an organic orchard up North. We usually get thru them way too quickly to have to make butter or preserve them in anyway. Especially as it is now the dead of winter here & there's not much decent organic fruit around anymore.
#77 of 128 Old 07-15-2004, 06:56 AM

Hey, just noticed something. NTs typically need a lot of "equipment". Cast iron, dehydrators, glassware, etc. Just wanted to suggest that y'all check out www.freecycle.org. You can give & receive...
#78 of 128 Old 07-15-2004, 11:56 AM

I've been lurking and learning a lot for some times now and I think it's time for me to get in

I haven't read the book, Nourishing Traditions, because I couldn't find it - but I just saw few minutes ago that Amazon.ca finally have it!!! It's gonna be my next purchase

I have a question for you: would you ask for the bones if you had a deer or another big animal from hunting? I know I will ask for the bones if we buy a beef but i'm not sure about wild animals...

Another question: I've read about saurkraut done on the counter and would like to give it a try but I don't know what type of countainer to use. Is there something special to use? can you show me what it looks like?

Ok, enough for this time

Valérie   
#79 of 128 Old 07-15-2004, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsgirl
Hey, just noticed something. NTs typically need a lot of "equipment". Cast iron, dehydrators, glassware, etc. Just wanted to suggest that y'all check out www.freecycle.org. You can give & receive...
Love FreeCycle! Haven't done any giving or receiving, but I keep my eye on it! Such a great idea.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#80 of 128 Old 07-15-2004, 01:02 PM

Another freecycle lover here too....I just recieved a box of Mother Earth News mags from the mid seventies to mid eighties.

There even is a plowboy interview with Peggy O'Mara in one!
#81 of 128 Old 07-15-2004, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valérie.Qc
I have a question for you: would you ask for the bones if you had a deer or another big animal from hunting? I know I will ask for the bones if we buy a beef but i'm not sure about wild animals...
yes, definitely

one thing that i might do, if i could figure out the how/where/cost of it, would be to have big game tested for that weird neurological disease.

now... if only i could get dh to go out bow hunting.

heartbeat.gif

#82 of 128 Old 07-15-2004, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsgirl
I watch freecycle too! Yard sales are also a great place to find these things! I see cast iron all the time, we have enough already though!
Angel
#83 of 128 Old 07-15-2004, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Another question: I've read about saurkraut done on the counter and would like to give it a try but I don't know what type of countainer to use. Is there something special to use? can you show me what it looks like?

Ok, enough for this time
I wouldn't hesitate to use the bones of venison for broth. Unless someone knows a reason you couldn't?? I've made duck broth before that was wonderful!

I've made saurkraut in a glass jar with a seal. It worked fine. You could use a ceramic crock or even make a small batch in a mason jar. A good book is Wild Fermentation. I'm reading it now. Here is a link to the site
http://www.wildfermentation.com/

Good luck!
Angel
#84 of 128 Old 07-16-2004, 01:08 AM

Thanks for the link on wild fermentation. I am looking forward to checking that site out more closely.

I have a question. I want to make granola. And I want to soak the oats beforehand. Is that possible? How would I go about doing that? And would it make good granola? Should I sprout them? Can I even do that? What's the difference between soaking and sprouting?
#85 of 128 Old 07-16-2004, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourangels
I've made saurkraut in a glass jar with a seal. It worked fine. You could use a ceramic crock or even make a small batch in a mason jar. A good book is Wild Fermentation. I'm reading it now. Here is a link to the site
http://www.wildfermentation.com/

Good luck!
Angel
Thank you!

I went to this site and saw the crock they used; I'm pretty sure I've seen something like that at the fleamarket - will look for this tomorrow

I will probably wait to do the sauerkraut until the weather cool down a little and hope for less humidity; it's so humid right now that my cucumbers are rotting before they are fully grown

Valérie   
#86 of 128 Old 07-16-2004, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone
What's the difference between soaking and sprouting?
Soaking means just that, it is soaked in water/whey/whatever. If you want to sprout the grain/seed, you would soak first, then drain well, then rinse and drain 1-2x a day until you see little tails coming out of the seed. Then it is officially sprouted.

I am pm'ing you a recipe for a granola soaked in kefir/yogurt and dehydrated from the nativefamilynutrition yahoo group. I can send it to anyone else interested as well, or if you are a member of that group it is message #2165.
#87 of 128 Old 07-16-2004, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I've been lurking and learning a lot for some times now and I think it's time for me to get in

I haven't read the book, Nourishing Traditions, because I couldn't find it - but I just saw few minutes ago that Amazon.ca finally have it!!! It's gonna be my next purchase

Ok, enough for this time
Does www.overstock.com ship to Canada? It's $16 US, including shipping.
#88 of 128 Old 07-19-2004, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone looked at the Garden of Eating book? It looks really cool! LaLa posted the link to it a while back. It looks like a paleo-type diet except with LOADS of produce. Just my style!
http://thegardenofeatingdiet.com/

I'm going dairy-free at the moment to see if it helps with my hayfever. We just butchered our first chicken and it was one of the most traumatic things I've experienced in a while. Now we are inundated with chicken stock, over 2 gallons! We turned the edible innards into sausage which worked really well.
#89 of 128 Old 07-19-2004, 04:28 PM

yeah, i never had much of a craving for any chicken i've butchered myself. if it was a necessity i'd get over it but hell, i like my chickens (when i have some) & the eggs are a good enough bargain- i eat chickens that are strangers to me, lol.

glad your sausage turned out, got a recipe?

i'm not sure how long i'm going to continue dairy-free with sam- his skin got bad again, and next week at the dr i'm going to suggest allergy testing. i mean, what if all this time he's had a problem with soy? or corn? argh.

i think i'm gonna do bread, with all these great beefsteak tomatoes around. thankfully i livelied up my sourdough a few days ago. (and my kefir lived well in the goat milk, even forgotten for a month!) and homemade walnut oil mayo. (oh man, i forgot to order good eggs! ****ok, i just did it, aracauna eggs of green & blue! and raw goat's milk, & pastured fresh buffalo, yeah! to my door tomorrow afternoon!)

suse
#90 of 128 Old 07-20-2004, 12:00 PM

Hey Toraji, ok, found this link! Sorry I must have missed it in the clamor of trying to read/post/deal with the kids

Suseyblue, you mentioned your Ds might be allergic to soy and corn? They are both 'problem' products unless treated 'special'. Here is some info on soy:

Avoid soy flour. Soy contains a high phytate content as well as potent enzyme inhibitors (enzymes help you to digest food, you eat strong inhibitors, you've just compromised your digestion). These inhibitors are NOT neutralized by mere soaking. They must be inactivated by slow fermentation, like in the making of traditional fermented products like, natto, miso or tempeh. The antinutrients in modern soy products and soy flour can inhibit growth and cause intestional problems, swelling of the pancreas and some believe, cancer. In addition, soy contains a high omega 3 content (good), but that quickly goes rancid (bad) when the bean is made into flour. The phytoestrogens in soy have been promoted as being a 'wonder food', but they are actually goitrogens that depress your thyroid function.

Corn flour is bad (BAD) for you if you don't pre-soak it in a limewater solution to free up the nicotinamide (B3 vitamin). Soaking corn flour also improved the amino acid quality of proteins in the germ. It used to cause a disease called 'Pellagra' (sore skin and disorders, fatigue and mental disorders). Simple soaking prevented this problem. If you are buying 'Masa' flour, it's already been treated, however, it's probably going rancid or heading that way. : All 'whole grain' flours should be IMMEDIATELY refridgerated or frozen to preserve the natural oils in them. (Wish the stores would catch on to this and get with it).

Here is how to make 'limewater', for soaking CORN FLOUR if you are making your own:

LIMEWATER SOAK SOLUTION
In a two quart jar (sun tea jar works fine),
add about 1 inch of 'pickling lime'.
Fill rest of jar with filtered water.
Seal, shake, and let sit overnight.
The powder will settle (don't use this part).
Gently pour off the water to use for soaking fresh ground corn flour.
This is your 'limewater'.
Keep in a cool place, but no need to refridgerate.

OK, I promised I would post some more recipes on 'Good Eats with Wheat' thread, though I will be posting with various grains. /sigh I got several threads going now to read heheh...Sorry if this was posted somewhere in here, tried to 'speed read' it while BFing baby, and he was TEETHING on me!! So kinda distracting hahah, to say the lest.

/hugs

Heather (Xenabyte)

Great thread, btw!

Tags
Food Items

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page