Traditional Foods (NT) Mamas-June Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 128 Old 06-18-2004, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As our last thread was getting really long and hard to follow, I wanted to start a new thread. Could our old thread be archived please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
I would like to try bread and had intended on soaking the flour. I had an appt yesterday with my doc and he said that the only way we should have bread is if you sprout the grains, mill them, and then bake. The idea of milling sprouts is very odd to me. How would you possibily end up with anything that looks like flour? TIA
This method gives you a result like "Manna Bread" from the health food store. It is also called sprout bread or Essene bread. You get a very moist, sweet result. To mill them, I use a food processor or a wheatgrass juicer, and you get a sticky dough that you shape into a small loaf and then bake at a low temp. I'll see if I can find a recipe in my files.
#2 of 128 Old 06-18-2004, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did it!

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#3 of 128 Old 06-18-2004, 08:14 PM

I have done that with sprouts before then I have dehydrated the milled sprouts to make crackers. Yummy with sprouted chickpea hummous.
#4 of 128 Old 06-18-2004, 08:34 PM

thanks toraji, thanks cathe.

btw, i burned out my old food processor doing that, 'member? (old thread <g>)

suse
#5 of 128 Old 06-18-2004, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Here are the instructions for sprout bread from a good friend of mine:

1 cup of preferred grain (I really like kamut and rye so far)
pour into wide mouth jar and cover with a clean mesh.
add double the grain's amount in water-- so for 1 cup of grain, 2 cups of water

soak overnight

drain the next morning

rinse and drain thoroughly twice a day and store in a dry dark place

you will see that the grains swell after the soaking and will start sprouting little white "heads" that get longer and longer as the hours and days go on

When the sprouts are 2 or 3 times the length of the grain (about 2 or 3 days for rye and kamut), rinse them drain them and put them in a food processor. (or Champion or augur wheatgrass juicer)

you will get something that is a bit like the consistancy of hamburger.

form it into a loaf and smoothe it out a bit, flatten the top a bit and stick it in a preheated over at 275

bake for 3 hours. Check it-- spray it with water if you want. You know when it is done because the outside has a crust and is slightly firm, the bottom when pressed on gently springs back and the inside is moist.

Take it out, let it rest until cool because it firms up a bit and then eat. You will want to refridgerate it.

Don't forget to rinse the grains well and drain them well- you don't want to worry about bacteria and stuff. I have actually been dumping mine out into a large mesh strainer and washing them well but gently so I don't break off the sprouts and then carefully putting them back in the jars.
#6 of 128 Old 06-18-2004, 10:40 PM

Hi, can I join you guys? I'm just starting NT, but a lot of stuff rings true with me... some leaves me scratching my head. I'm sure I'll have questions the farther I get into the book.
#7 of 128 Old 06-19-2004, 09:19 PM

Thanks toraji!

We will definitely try that.
Sounds interesting.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#8 of 128 Old 06-19-2004, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone
I'm sure I'll have questions the farther I get into the book.
Is this and the other thread based on a book? I thought we just were discussing traditional food culture and methodology.

Can someone bring me up to date? :
#9 of 128 Old 06-19-2004, 11:01 PM

Uh, I thought the (NT) stood for "Nourishing Traditions", a book that talks about traditional foods and the health benefits from them. It's here: http://tinyurl.com/ypdu2 If not, them maybe I should be :
#10 of 128 Old 06-19-2004, 11:10 PM

I think you are correct Persephone...maybe more people will weigh in.
#11 of 128 Old 06-19-2004, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

NT does indeed stand for Nourishing Traditions, but the ideas in there are based on traditional cultures and their foods. So this thread would be of interest to anyone eating a whole omni or (to some extent) veggie with fermented foods diet using traditional cooking methods and ingredients.

I don't personally agree with everything in NT and also take ideas from Body Ecology Diet, The Maker's Diet, Mercola, paleo diet, and the Rea Center. But NT is the most familiar name for this style of eating which is why the thread has it in its title. Or at least, this is my understanding of it.
#12 of 128 Old 06-20-2004, 01:10 AM

Yes, you're right. It's also following the principles of www.westonaprice.org.

I'm fermenting my 1st batch of kombucha - I'll let you guys know how it goes.
#13 of 128 Old 06-20-2004, 01:10 AM

well, that was my thought when i titled the first (or the first thread i participated in, i mean) one 'nourishing traditions' but called the second 'new traditional'; i wanted to be more inclusive than just following one book, you know? it's a way of eating, not following a guru (but wow, i do respect all the research and ideas in the book; what a motivator.)

suse
#14 of 128 Old 06-20-2004, 01:15 AM

Oh, whew. Glad I belong here. I agree about not following a guru. I get my resources from all over, and try to create a healthy balance. I don't agree with everything in the NT book, but a lot of it resonates as true with me. Another good cookbook for traditional foods is "Extending the Table". I'm reading that one right now, and it talks about various ethnic foods, and eating sustainably.
#15 of 128 Old 06-20-2004, 01:36 AM

So glad to see more influences! I know the last thread also talked about Wild Fermentation.
#16 of 128 Old 06-21-2004, 01:05 AM

Yeah, I don't use everything in NT but I use a lot. It has really helped me to figure a way to eat healthy and organic food and keep the budget under control.
I also read many other sources. I read a lot of things on Mercola.com and got his book. I just got the Metabolic Typing book and am anxiously awaiting it in the mail. In NT it does talk about the importance of also taking into consideration your personal metabolic type, any food allergies, etc, etc.

Tomsgirl...bubbly vibes to you and your first batch of kombucha! I love kombucha...I have two gallons brewing in my pantry that will be ready sometime this week. I test it on day 8. What I usually do it put one in the fridge on day 8, and the other on day 10. That way I have slightly different tastes, the 8 day one is slightly sweeter.

I have 2 gallons of beet kvass in my fridge. I drink about 8oz per day. Its so easy to make, so healthy! And me and my crazy healthy taste buds like the earthy, bubbly, sweet and tangy tasty. My hubby hates it.....my 16 month old ds loves it! I notice a huge improvement in my digestion within a day of drinking it. I pretty much drink water, yerbamate, kombucha and beet kvass these days.

I'm going to have to try the sprouted bread. Can you put it in a dehydrator or does it actually need to cook?

#17 of 128 Old 06-21-2004, 08:01 AM

Can we make a "book list" of references for the newbies (like me)? Here's a start:

Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats by Sally Fallon
Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price
Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods by Sandor Ellix Katz, Sally Fallon

What do you think of these? List at Amazon

What about a list of sites, as well?
#18 of 128 Old 06-21-2004, 01:42 PM

There is also another way to make sprouted bread that is more like regular bread (I think this is how Ezekial Bread is made).

You sprout the grain, then dehydrate or dry it (like bulgur). Then you grind it to flour and use like flour.

I tried it once. The flour was very sweet but I couldn't get it fine enough to use alone in bread (I don't have a grain grinder - just used a blender).

I added it to pancake batter and it was really yummy.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#19 of 128 Old 06-21-2004, 02:58 PM

I think I may have asked about this before, but I can't remember -- I found a few different NT forums at around the same time and can't remember what I read where. But I'm wondering if anyone has experience following the diet for pg or nursing moms at the WAP website, or the Brewer diet . I try to follow my instincts with each pg and nutrition, and this time around I've really been feeling like I need to increase my protein. I've been having the worst sugar cravings I've ever had (and giving in to them lots : ) and then of course dealing with having no energy, moodiness, feelings of depression, etc. way, way more than in my past pregnancies. I just tend to get a little lost, and wonder if I really need to eat as much meat/animal products as is recommended. Or rather, if I would be able to eat as much of that stuff as is recommended. And then I have a hard time applying it. I just get dazed and confused when I sit down and try and make a meal plan for the week following these guidelines. Plus, I have to think of the other members of my family, who don't need to be eating so much meat. Has anyone followed this diet? What kinds of foods did you eat?

I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with this, but I've tried and never really gotten into the "groove" with it, if you know what I mean.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#20 of 128 Old 06-21-2004, 05:14 PM
Banned

Hi everyone.

I was amazed to see you're still keeping this thread alive. I'm back after a few stressful weeks of moving and settling in.
Does anyone know if doing cultures in 90-100 degree wether is possible?

Josefina.
#21 of 128 Old 06-21-2004, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Hey morsan! Glad to see you made it!

Cultures in that temperature will ferment a lot quicker than usual. So you will need to watch them more carefully to make sure they don't get too sour/yeasty flavored or run out of fermenting power.

If things are fermenting too quickly you can slow them down either in a cool basement or even in the fridge.

elainie would probably be the best person to respond to the pregnancy diet question.
#22 of 128 Old 06-21-2004, 08:28 PM

Hi everyone

About the beet kvass. Is that the recipe from NT ?

Anyone try the banana bread recipe in NT ? I avoid bananas like the plague coz of human right issues & pesticides etc on them, but I have managed to find some dried wild bananas from the pitcarin islands. I rehydrate them & mash them up to make the odd banana cake for dh with. the NT recipe soaks 3 c of flour in 2 c of kefir overnight. I find it is not enuf liquid to do all the flour & I ended up with this paste I then had to real mix the other ingedients into to get an even mix. I am thinking about using sourdough culture instead next time & mixing it all by eye on the consistency to see what happens.

My sourdough bread is now amazingly good. My last batch rose like proper yeasted bread & dh even ate it!

I have my first batch of saurkraut on right now. me & dd made it & had a great time. I am involving her in testing it every now & then so she is used to the flavour when it is done.
#23 of 128 Old 06-21-2004, 09:14 PM

I do the muffin receipe, but I think it calls for the same ratio of flour to wet ingredients for the soaking time, if I recall correctly. Organic milk is a stretch to our budget, and my yogurt is always so watery I have lots of whey, so when I make it, I do 2 c water plus 2 tbsp whey. Sometimes it is pretty thick, other times not so much. I find it is somewhat tricky to mix the soaked stuff in with the other ingredients, but more because the soaked stuff is almost... gelatinous. It's wet enough, but it kind of holds its shape, I end up using a whisk to break it up, and then my muffin bread (I don't do it in a muffin tin, I use the muffin recipe but put it into pans) is pretty flat. But usually tasty, so no one minds.

#24 of 128 Old 06-21-2004, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMomma
I have my first batch of saurkraut on right now. me & dd made it & had a great time. I am involving her in testing it every now & then so she is used to the flavour when it is done.
That is great ocean Momma!! We do a lot of craut around here....my dd will eat a bowl of it at a time. Homemade craut is so amazingly tasty!

My favorite treat is dandelion wine with raw cheese and craut on a hot evening.

Its the german in me I think!

What kind of crocks does everyone have and where did you get them?
#25 of 128 Old 06-22-2004, 07:57 PM
RAF

Hello Shannon and everyone,

I wanted to reply about the pregnancy diet promoted by Weston Price Foundation. I just looked at the page to refresh my memory, and I pretty much followed this diet during my last (second) pregnancy. I ate quite a bit of meat, as I was on a grain free diet with not much other starch either. I am someone who believes that eating alot of meat is healthy and not something to be scared of or to avoid, especially not for children or pregnant women.

I know for me depression, sugar cravings, etc. are a sign of not enough animal fats in my diet. Cod liver oil helps tremendously, as well as using lard for cooking and baking and butter from pasture fed cows. Eating dark meat and eating the fat from steaks, etc. is also important in getting rid of sugar cravings. During my "NT" pregnancy, I did not eat refined sugar at all and honey sparingly. I was able to stick to this diet, because I was eating alot of nourishing animal foods rich in fat and cholesterol, which are extremely important. I am also a very thin person and do not gain weight from this way of eating, although I know of some who don't cut back on all the starchy foods they are used to eating, plus add in lots of fat, who do gain weight.

If you are concerned about cholesterol, please read _the cholesterol myths_ by Ravinskov (sp?). Also research some on the internet about paleolithic nutrition, which is geared towards meat as the main staple in the diet. It is very eye opening and educational. Here is a link to some meat recipes and all sorts of other recipes, including baked goods even, that do not call for a lot of starch and sugar: http://www.paleofood.com/

http://paleodiet.com/ is another place to look into info about high meat diets. Anyway, I don't make meal plans, unfortunately, but I am in the process of starting that habit right now. I really think pregnancy is a time to go with our intuitions on things, regardless of what our past programming may be telling us. Anyway, I could go on and on about this, so if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask, as I don't want to get too carried away in one post. I hope something here has been helpful.
#26 of 128 Old 06-22-2004, 09:19 PM

I followed different variations of a WAP type diet the last three pregnacies.
First time around NT had just been published and I followed it eating soaked grains, dairy, etc.. amd gained lots of weight (which came off) had a healthy robust baby etc.. Then when he was around age one I started eating a Primal diet (raw animal foods- no grain) which led me to another pregnancy when he was 3.5 years old. I changed things around a bit and ate very little dairy and minimal grains (still ate raw meats ). Had another healthy baby and 3 years later another pregnancy which led me to eating a Makers diet (with 30 hour fermented raw goat yogurt) and again minimal grain (everytime I craved amaranth and brown rice I would eat it and then feel like vomiting ).I ate raw wild salmon eggs, raw eggs, raw meat, raw fish etc.. and lots of vegetables. I also ate cooked meats as well. And I did eat meats/eggs/fish three times daily along with lots of vegetables (especially greens). I had another healthy robust baby.
After years of experimentation I found that a Paleo type diet is what works for me the best, although I will cheat here and there (next time I crave raw goat yogurt I will eat it although I don't crave any dairy at the moment).
You just need to find what works for you as far as protein levelds etc..
Oh, I did and do use cod liver oil as well as fish oil and krill oil.
#27 of 128 Old 06-23-2004, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the input.

RAF, I'm not concerned about cholesterol etc. I'm just not a big fan of eating a lot of meat -- I love meat, but I love everything else too, especially bread. Since I'm snacking a lot, I find it easier to make some toast (always buttered -- at least a tablespoon per slice) than to get something made from meat. I think perhaps I need to do a food diary, so I can see how much I'm actually getting of everything. I feel like I eat a lot of meat, but when I think about how much time I put into preparing meat/animal foods vs. plant foods, I spend much more time on the latter. And I'm eating (lately) a lot of refined sugar. : I fell off the wagon, so to speak. It's getting better now that there is nicer, fresh fruit available, but I know that how many simple carbs I eat in a day is often determined by what I eat when I first get up, and when I'm tired and hungry, those cookies are much easier and more appealing than making scrambled eggs. (I currently have almost 4 doz eggs in my fridge, and a doz free-range, organic duck eggs due to be delivered here this afternoon... I have no excuses for not eating eggs!) I have noticed throughout my life that I gain weight from sugar consumption (think Hallowe'en candy, cakes, etc.) than from fats.

elainie, it's interesting to read about your different diets and experiences. Did you find it hard to adjust to the raw animal foods? We have a new kitten and I'm feeding her a raw/natural diet, and when I'm cutting up raw liver for her, I think about raw food diets. I know it's my programming, but I would have a hard time sitting down to a plate of raw liver. I know people do it and it's not gross to them, but.... not what I'm used to. Are dried meats/jerkies considered raw? I could easily do raw eggs in dressings -- I love the taste of runny yolks in eggs, but the texture of raw whites puts me off. I've had dressings with raw yolks, they are very yummy.

#28 of 128 Old 06-24-2004, 12:16 AM

Does anyone know:

-what maltodextrin is?
-if "seedless" watermelon is GMO/ GE, or if it's just too young to have seeds?
#29 of 128 Old 06-27-2004, 01:17 PM

Daniele,

The seedless watermelon is some sort of hybrid, I don't know it's characteristics, but it's definitely not seedless because it is too young to have seeds.

Amanda

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#30 of 128 Old 06-27-2004, 01:25 PM

Just a quick report -- I tried to raspberry drink recipe in NT but substituted blackberries (recommended as a sports drink). It's basically fresh berries food processed, fresh orange juice, water, and whey fermented for two days. It then gets strained and refrigerated.

The taste seems a bit sweet (punch-like) unless it's diluted by about half. It is definitely good on hot days. My son drinks the diluted version happily, but he doesn't get much to drink that is sweet.

Yesterday I started a batch of beet kvass. I am looking forward to tasting the finished product.

Tags
Food Items

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page