Need help with ice cream cake - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-29-2004, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dd's b-day is soon and i want to make an ice cream cake. can anyone help me out? i've never made one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2004, 12:31 AM

Whenever I've made ice cream cakes I like to use some kind of mold to hold it all together and it also makes the assembly easier. I like to use a spring form pan or a bread pan works well, too. You can bake a cake and when it's cool it can be cut to line the bottom and then start alternating layers with ice cream. Pack it down as much as you can.

HTH, Rachel
Old 06-29-2004, 12:57 AM

can't help but mmmmmmmm, ice cream cake.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:20 AM

Spring form pan sounds like a good idea. It also might help if you let the ice cream melt a bit so that it's easy to spread.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:31 PM

I just use a pyrex dish, and serve the cake in the dish... frosting on the top of the cake only (no sides).. but it i s yummy and easy!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:07 PM

I've found a cake mold that I'm planning to buy and I'm going to *try* and make an ice cream cake for my ds's birthday. Amazon has it (lots of other places sell it on the web too - I wish I knew of some place locally) here is a link to what I'm talking about - it's called a "dome cake pan set": http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...tchen&n=289717

I'm thinking I'll do polka dot ice cream (b/c that's easy decorating even I can do) so I may put in vanilla ice cream with small balls of strawberry and chocolate ice cream so that when it's cut it's got polka dots in it - although I'm probably biting off more than I can chew!!

However you make it, please let me know how it turns out.

Janna
Old 07-01-2004, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you want to make little balls the easiest way to do it is to roll it in your hands quickly. The heat from your hands will make it soft and mold-able. your hands will get really cold but it is pretty effective. Lay them on a cookie sheet and freeze until hard. then drop into the slightly melted (fresh homade ice cream also works really well in ice cream cakes. goes in really soft and freezes really hard) vanilla.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:46 AM

I am going to make my ds an icecream cake for his b-day ,July 14th. I'm going to make them how I used to years ago when I worked at a TCBY.
I am going to make the cake rounds, completely cool them. Then sit out the ice cream until it gets soft (not too soft). Then I'll spread the ice cream on the bottom half of the cake. Then place the top on and press it to get the ice cream to the edges. Make sure it is even on all sides. Then wrap the cake in plastic wrap or whatever you want and put it back in the freezer. Let it harden up and then decorate. I am going to cut ice cream cones in half and put them around the cake and fill them with different colors of icing.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :

User Tag List