Who owns natural-organic food companies!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 06-25-2002, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HERE ARE THE DETAILS:
* Bearitos, Bread Shop Granola, Celestial Seasonings, Garden of Eatin', Health Valley, Terra Chips, and Westbrae (canned vegetables, soy drinks, pastas, Little Bear Corn Chips), are all owned by the Hain Food Group whose prime investors are mutual funds and holding companies like "Wellington Management." Their principal stockholders are PHILIP MORRIS (cigarettes), MONSANTO (genetically modified food), CITIGROUP (rainforest destruction), (genetically modified foods), EXXONMOBIL (global warming), WAL-MART, ENTERGY NUCLEAR, LOCKHEED MARTIN (weapons), WASTE MANAGEMENT INC (giant landfills), PFIZER (drugs), MERCK (drugs), BANK OF AMERICA (racial discrimination) & (animal cruelty), etc.

All of the above are themselves significantly owned by Citigroup, "the World's Most Destructive Bank" --Rainforest Action Network. Citigroup backs corporate prisons, Third World debt, genetic engineering, predatory lending, and rainforest destruction.

H.J. Heinz Co. owns nearly 20% of Hain:
Editorial in Natural Progressions, by Bob Swientek 11/99: "Back in April, I wrote in this column that the corporate suits (mainstream food manufacturers) were overrunning the tofu eaters (natural foods processors) at the Natural Products Expo-West. Well, the "run" is now a full-fledged sprint. In September, Heinz bought a 19.5% stake in Hain Food Group for nearly $100 million. Hain, the leading producer of natural foods in the country with annual sales of $206 million in '99, acquired the Earth's Best baby food brand in the deal. By gaining entry into the natural and organic foods arena, Heinz may be in the initial stages of reinventing itself. It better...most of its businesses, including its profitable ketchup franchise, are slow growth."
Heinz itself is owned by same mutual funds that own Hain, and its prime stockholders include the same multinationals.

* Cascadian Farms and Muir Glen are owned by Small Planet Foods
which is owned by GENERAL MILLS, whose principal investors are PHILIP MORRIS, EXXONMOBIL, GENERAL ELECTRIC, CHEVRON, NIKE, McDONALD'S, TARGET STORES, STARBUCK'S, MONSANTO, DUPONT (weapons & pesticides), DOW CHEMICAL (Agent Orange, breast implants, napalm), PEPSICO, ALCOA ALUMINUM, DISNEY (exploit Third World labor), TEXAS INSTRUMENTS (weapons: one of GW Bush's top contributors), PFIZER. General Mills is also being boycotted for animal rights abuse.

* Stoned Wheat Thins is made with GMOs and is owned by NABISCO, which has been bought by PHILIP MORRIS (12/00), which also owns KRAFT General Foods
Philip Morris Boycott & In Fact & Nabisco/Labor & Nabisco News & pension funds & other

* Odwalla Juice is owned by Coca-Cola, part of the Minute Maid unit.

Coca-Cola prohibits unionizing: WASHINGTON, Nov. 19 /PRNewswire -- Edgar Paez, of the Colombian trade union Sinaltrainal, was joined on Monday by Teamster representatives, the AFL- CIO, members of the clergy, civil rights activists and political leaders as he described the brutal torture, kidnapping and murders of union workers in his country -- particularly those working at Coca-Cola bottling facilities. The group assembled for a peace vigil in front of the World of Coca-Cola Museum in Atlanta, GA. "My brothers and sisters in Colombia have suffered unspeakable horrors because they belong to a trade union," Paez said. "We stand united with American workers to demand that Coca-Cola stop the violence."
Coca-Cola paid $192.5 million to settle a U.S. racial discrimination lawsuit in 2000.

Fresh Samantha, a Maine juice brand that merged with Odwalla in May 2000, "has already begun reducing its fresh-fruit content by boosting the water content--a way to make juices cheaper and longer-lasting," according to Bill Sipper, marketing vice-president of the Ultimate Juice Company.

* Boca Burgers is owned by Kraft Foods, which is owned by Philip Morris.
* Gardenburger is owned by Patman Foods, a major factory farm meatpacker.
* Hearty & Natural veggie burgers is owned by Sunrich Food Group, which is owned by Stake Technologies, which is owned principally by Gruber & McBain Capital Management, whose principal investors are Boeing, Lockheed Martin and by Polymedica, whose principal investor is Safeco, whose principal investors are ExxonMobil, General Electric, and Citigroup.
* Morningstar Farms (Kellogg's) has been contaminated by Starlink GM corn.
* Silk Soy Drink is owned by White Wave, which is owned by Dean Foods (5/9/02), whose main shareholders are Microsoft, GE, Philip Morris, Citigroup, Pfizer, ExxonMobil, Coca Cola, Wal-Mart, PepsiCo, Home Depot.
* Stonyfield Farm (yogurt) is not yet dominated by multinationals, but has "partnered" with GAIAM, whose major stockholders include IBM, EXXON, CITIGROUP, JOHNSON & JOHNSON, WAL-MART, and will be owned by Danone by 2004, which trades on the stock market (DA) and has trace ownership by Citigroup, GE, Wal-Mart, Exxon, etc.

* Arrowhead Water and Poland Spring Water are owned by NESTLE, which is being boycotted because its "breast milk substitute" causes the deaths of millions of babies.
Nestle Boycott & breastfeeding.com & Baby Milk Action:
"These babies are twins.(see photo) Their Pakistani mother was wrongly advised that she would not have enough breastmilk to feed both and so bottlefed her daughter while breastfeeding her son. The girl died the day after this photo was taken in Islamabad Children's Hospital. 'Use my picture,' said the mother, 'if it will help others not to make the same mistake.'"
#2 of 29 Old 06-25-2002, 11:16 AM

WOW!
I never knew how much corperations are taking over our lives. Yuck. I would like to see the picture. Where is it?
#3 of 29 Old 06-25-2002, 02:28 PM

It's my belief that our government is no longer a government by and for the people, but by and for the corporations. Hard to boycott anything anymore when a few corporations hold all the cards (as well as the politicians hands).
#4 of 29 Old 06-25-2002, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

sorry i can't access the picture.
how sad!, about the baby girl.
#5 of 29 Old 06-25-2002, 03:28 PM

Snailmama,

can you tell me where you got the info?! It really made my hair stands up. I am just beginning to read this book called "Food Politcis: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition & Health", and I really loathe the fact that we are not in control but the industry with their big dollars, and the govt can do nothing!
#6 of 29 Old 06-25-2002, 04:20 PM

yuck yuck yuck...how completely depressing if it is true.

i heard at my local health food store lately that fresh samantha was bought by coca-cola. they've added sugar to most of their juices. yuck again. too bad. they are ruined.

does anyone know of a decent health conscious company out there who hasn't sold out???
#7 of 29 Old 06-25-2002, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

http://www.ithacanews.org/greenstarstock.html

I am pretty upset about the whole schpiel!

I love Muir Glen sauces & Cascadian Farms!
Ahhh!
#8 of 29 Old 06-26-2002, 12:48 AM

Pretty sad.
I can't think of anything to say, too much to think about. What kind of world will my baby grow up in?
#9 of 29 Old 06-26-2002, 02:09 AM
pie

My father works for Hain/Celestial food group. Any questions you want me to ask?
#10 of 29 Old 06-26-2002, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

What's up with Earth's Best foods?
They are owned by Hain.
Sometimes I doubt they are organic.

I like Healthy Times,
I called them up when my son started cereal and asked if they made cereal, because I never saw it and they sent me 3 boxes of cereal in the mail to test.
It is totally different than Earth's Best's flakes!
It is like homemade stuff.
#11 of 29 Old 06-26-2002, 12:07 PM
pie

Hain follows stringent testing standards on anything that is said to be organic.

I am as anti-corporate America as they come. I hate it... we are one nation, under corporations, advertisable, with coupons and rebates for all. However, my father has found that the smaller guys are the ones who fail the organic test the most frequently. Remember, he only works for hain so he has no real stake in lying about that to me.

Hmmm the ONLY benefit I see to this is more land being sustainably farmed. Ick ick ick ick now I need to think about boycotting my own dad's products?
#12 of 29 Old 06-26-2002, 12:09 PM
pie

BTW organic oatmeal is the best baby cereal there is, and it is cheapest. Also brown rice run through a potato ricer.
#13 of 29 Old 06-26-2002, 01:39 PM
glh

You can also grind the rice before cooking in your blender for 2 minutes then add to boiling water and cook for 10 minutes. This works using other grains too (from "Super Baby Food"). I asked my ped about iron when dd1 was smaller because obviously these natural cereals don't have the added iron like commercial baby cereals do. He said don't worry about it, she gets plenty from breastmilk.

I wish we had a list of natural food companies that are not owned by big corps. Some of the brands listed are my favorites.
#14 of 29 Old 06-26-2002, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

i add expressed breastmilk to the healthy times cereals.
My son only drinks expressed breastmilk...long story & he only drinks about 20oz a day now(he is 12.5 months old).
So, I'd like him to get all of the fresh breastmilk he can.
Plus, the cereal is easy for me. I do not have to cook it.
Though we do make him a lot of homemade foods. Like vegetables, fruits, and combos of grains & veggies.
I think we'll make a bean one tonight.
I am taking this OT.
#15 of 29 Old 06-28-2002, 01:41 AM

There was an article in the NY Times about a year ago about how the corporations are taking over organic and health food products.

It talked a lot about how Cascadian Farms sold itself out to General Mills. It explained too that even though Cascadian Farms and Muir Glen may be organic as in they are not sprayed with pesticides, they are still not being grown in a sustainable manner. The land they are being grown on is being overused. I don't know a whole lot about farming, and it's been a while since I read the article, but it made it pretty clear to me that it was all about GM's bottom line, and not about ideals.

What's a shame is that Cascadian Farms and Muir Glen have practically cornered the market on their items. I used to be able to buy Eden brand canned tomatoes, but now I rarely see them anymore. If I need canned tomatoes, I'm practically forced to buy Muir Glen.

I've got to get my garden started...
#16 of 29 Old 06-28-2002, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

I knew something was up with cascadian farms 2 weeks ago when I bought their new Honey Nut O cereal.

Tasted too much like Honey Nut Cheerios!
And the inside of the box was covered with COUPONS for other foods like Muir Glen.

I did some research and that is how I found this.

Yeah! I am definately going to be buying from Eden more often.
Let's support REAL, small businesses!
#17 of 29 Old 06-28-2002, 10:33 AM

I'll have to see whether dh still has that NY Times article somewhere so I can reread it. Now I'm just going on memories.

Another company it discussed was Horizon, the dairy company. Their dairy farming practices and corporate practices weren't much better than non-organic dairy companies.

I did some research, and a much better option, if you can't get local dairy, is Organic Valley products. Organic Valley is a cooperative of smaller organic farms. Organic Valley is available in the Northeast. If it's not available elsewhere, do some research on the dairy products you find in your stores. It's kind of funny that after that article came out, at least here in NY, Horizon became less and less available, and Organic Valley became more and more so. I know a lot of people read that article, including health food store managers, so I'm guessing that's why.

Local, however, if you can get it, is nearly always the best way to go. So grow your own, join a CSA, support your local farmer's market, and ask around to see whether you can find local, organic, grassfed dairy, eggs, meat. And visit your local farms, ask questions, support those who are doing things right.
#18 of 29 Old 06-28-2002, 11:44 AM
pie

you know, that angers me because Horizon is by far the most expensive organic dairy and juice out there!!
#19 of 29 Old 06-28-2002, 12:27 PM

I just see this whole thing as an ironic twist to what happen when alternative become mainstream. Organic and natural used to be only for hippies and weirdos in California. Now even the most mainstream person will buy organic if it is in a grocery story and packaged prettily. Corparation are money making machines they go with what ever is trendy. They good side of this is maybe it will reduce overall pesticide use and encourage better farming practices. If it wasn't for McDonalds changing the way they slaughter meat (OK still not the best, but at least there are 4-6 chickens to a cage rather then 10 or 12) the whole industry would still be doing things even less humanily (animalily??).

I agree with Hydrangea, by local, and the least manufactured stuff you can. Maybe if enough of us do that. Sustainable farming may become mainstream.

P.S. There was a huge 2 story article in the San Francisco Chronicle regarding Grassfed Beef (not dairy). It is becoming very trendy here.

Also my mom is in the food business, she says if its say organic, natural, or the like it is a hot hot hot seller.
#20 of 29 Old 06-28-2002, 02:58 PM

As far as that photo goes...
I have seen it and it is beyond sad. You can find it in the book "Milk, Money, and Madness-The politics of breastfeeding" I can't remember who the author is but I found it at my library. It is a great book, definatly worth the effort to hunt it down.
J&G's mom
#21 of 29 Old 06-28-2002, 04:28 PM

so I just can't eat or drink anything ever again.
#22 of 29 Old 07-01-2002, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by mamapie
you know, that angers me because Horizon is by far the most expensive organic dairy and juice out there!!
Actually, where I live, the Organic Valley brand is even more expensive, but it seems more trustworthy than the Horizon brand. The farms are in California, from what I've read on the packaging, and I read a lot of negative things about Horizon. Now I know there are happy cows in California, right? ha ha ha. If you drive through Ontario, CA, you see cows that look far from happy. But driving down from Reno into the Sierra Nevada scenic highway, there are lots of little farms, both in Nevada and CA, with cows actually running in the fields (or lying or standing), and calves that are frolicking. So I keep thinking these must be some sort of organic or co-op type of farming venture.

I buy the Wild Oats brands just because they are cheaper, but I'm figuring they are probably from the same name brand supplies that are owned by those big corporations. Ugh.
#23 of 29 Old 07-01-2002, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by amy mama
so I just can't eat or drink anything ever again.
Well, you can try foraging from the land. Move to a pristine area and live very lightly. Gather acorns and make mush, eat wild greens and whatever little insects you can find. :LOL

Just don't stop eating and drinking. Even if we're eating their darn food, we're still alive to fight against them. Now the interesting thing would be if these big corps actually started deliberately tainting the organic and natural food lines just to weaken the protestors. Hmmm...
#24 of 29 Old 07-01-2002, 06:10 PM

Very interesting. I'm buying organic eggs from a friend who bought a farm a while back. Their dream was to take the 20+ acres and grow organic. Well, what used to be a 4 or 5 page form has turned into a small phone book that is nearly impossible to get thru to be certified. They feel it is because of the corporate influence into the "organic" industry..................

So they are taking their veggies to the farmers market and will just tell you that nothing is sprayed on it and such.

The eggs are delicious and I am looking into grain fed roaming chickens farmed nearby her. I don't buy commercial chicken much at all after reading that the FDA allows the processers to cut off cancers and sell the rest of the chicken
When I buy it now, I buy it whole and cut it myself.

How bout posting the above in Activism, also?
#25 of 29 Old 07-01-2002, 06:17 PM
pie

oh my doG barfing my @$$ off about cancer chicken. Blech El!
#26 of 29 Old 07-07-2002, 10:03 PM

#27 of 29 Old 07-07-2002, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

this picture is so sad!
#28 of 29 Old 07-10-2002, 06:11 PM

Wow, I am so shocked and saddened by this. But thank you for educating us snailmama!
#29 of 29 Old 02-26-2003, 11:44 PM

Thought I'd bump this up because of the Earth's Best baby food thread on Life with a Babe.

I didn't realize Earth's Best was bought out too by big business. I just bought a box of their rice cereal. I'm not as surprised by their mainstream pediatric advice now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page