Low carbs making you crazy??? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2004, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't stand the commercials, but I lost all my pregnancy weight PLUS 7 lbs by just eliminating all the starchy foods. I don't buy anything that's labelled low carb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2004, 11:55 PM

here's a comic for youcarbs happen~!

If you view this later, it's the July 10th strip. Just click on the date on the little calender.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:50 AM

I can't say I noticed low carb stuff before really. I never looked. I thought it sounded silly and ignored it. That is until I hit the borderline for GD. DH was trying to be helpful by bringing home some of the low carb stuff. Well, if I all I had was 'low carb' processed crap I would not eat! Ick! My mom mentioned loosing 30 pounds over the last 6 months, but she seems to be watching what she eats more than before and I think THAT is the difference for her. MIL follows the 20 per day rule and I have LOWERED mine by adjusting what I eat around a 'normal' healthy diet. Although to some LOW carb is normal.... but I want my carbs. I am just more careful with them than before. But more like 150 instead of 200-250.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:58 AM

So much misinformation in this thread, too little time.

I am someone who has read Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, and I've followed the Atkins regime for about a year now... and I assure you I am MUCH healthier for it.

I am also 80lbs. lighter, and counting.

I exercise. A lot.

I eat WHOLE, NATURAL foods. 100% of the time, for months now.

I eat LOTS of veggies, and fruits that are low on the glycemic index(which is most of them, btw).

I DO NOT, however, eat processed junk carbs - like the bread, pasta, sugar and white flour laden crap many of you are bragging about enjoying. BTW, I'm not looking for the "easy way out" like someone above stated, either. Losing weight is NOT "easy", no matter how you choose to do it. I understand you like your carbs folks, but lower carbohydrate eating IS healthy when done correctly, and it IS healthier than the junk carbohydrate laden diets most Americans consume. Atkins DOES encourage you to eat veggies right from the beginning, unlike what someone else stated above. Atkins also allows for fruits, whole grains, and almost any food you can think of - except for the "whites"(flour, potatoes, rice, pasta, sugar).

I'm just shocked at how much misinformation is floating around this thread!
I doubt there are 5 people that have responded here who have actually read Atkins' book, or any other LC eating plan, for that matter. If you have read the book(s), and you still believe LC = no fruit, veggies, etc... you need to read it AGAIN, and pay attention this time.

As someone who has read many of the lower-carbohydrate eating plans, I have YET to see one that doesn't include the HEALTHY CARBS. That's the point of a lower-carb way of eating... it helps wean folks like me from the JUNK CARBS - not the GOOD, nutrient dense carbohydrates.

Sheesh, the way some of you are acting, you'd think someone is trying to force YOU to give up YOUR junk carbs. Nope, that's not happening. Folks like me are just choosing to eliminate the junk from our own diets... and what do we get for trying to better our health? A bunch of crap from folks who perpetuate the myth that LC eating is nothing but meat, bacon grease and cheese. Get a grip! It's not like that! If you see someone eating nothing but crap, and calling it low-carb, then THEY are misrepresenting what this way of eating is all about. That's not Dr. Atkins fault, is it? I mean, a person COULD say they're doing Weight Watchers, and use all their points for ice cream and M&Ms... does that make WWs DANGEROUS or UNHEALTHY? I think not. Just because someone does a program improperly does not mean the program is flawed.

That said, I do agree that the never-ending stream of low-carb junk food is a bit ridiculous... only because the manufacturers are cashing in(gouging) at the consumer's expense. BUT, people following LC regimes need/like variety too, just like anyone else. Just because we don't eat white bread/sugar/ pasta/etc anymore doesn't mean we should never have a convenient meal or snack, does it?

Anyway, I am done. Sorry to rain on your low-carb bashing parade... but I know there are others like me out there who do LC the way it was INTENDED, and are sick of hearing/reading all these untruths.

Edited to correct typos.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:21 AM
Banned

my problem is the soda, cheetos, ice cream, chocolate, salad dressing and so on that are now being produced because they are 'atkins-friendly' and 'low carb', which people are taking as 'healthy.'
Old 07-11-2004, 07:25 AM

suse, meet my pal mattia. i know you asked me to come to this thread but i cannot say it any better than mattia did...

(baz)
Old 07-11-2004, 09:29 AM

Hi Mattia

Thanks for chiming in! I think the main problem for most of us (and anyone correct me if I'm wrong) is the insane prevalence of this thing, the craze status it has reached so quickly; how you can't shop for groceries, or listen to the radio or pass a billboard without having it in your face/ears/eyes.

I found this list, although I don't know how correct it is: Atkins Induction Foods
but I've got to tell you, it makes me shudder just to think about eating that way. Would it even be possible for a vegetarian to be on the Atkins diet?

I'm glad it works for some people, because yes, losing weight is so difficult. But I would rather have my mom be on the heavier side, like she was, than having kidney problems, and all the other yuckiness that comes from a diet high in animal fat.

Personally, it scares me, not knowing what the long-term implications could be, since this is a relatively new thing.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterbits333
I think the main problem for most of us (and anyone correct me if I'm wrong) is the insane prevalence of this thing, the craze status it has reached so quickly; how you can't shop for groceries, or listen to the radio or pass a billboard without having it in your face/ears/eyes.
Being that I started this thread, I wanted to say that this statement above is in the spirit that the thread was created. I'll be the first to admit that I haven't read the Atkin's book, and while it may be right for you I'm honestly not interested in it. I'm also a vegetarian and don't know how that would play into it, but regardless I'm simply not interested. But that's really not what this thread was about for me. Just the craziness of it all. Sorry you took it so personally.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:40 PM

I'm all for cutting out those nasty mainstream carbs!

But I think *whole* grains are a very important part of the human diet.

Low carb to loose weight as a very temporary thing probably isn't to horrible, but in my opinion it couldn't be a healthy lifestyle unless there was a specific medical condition you're working with.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:46 PM

To me it is like SUV's- the SUV's and their drivers themselves dont' annoy me. But the SUV TREND does. Low carb probably has it's medical place- but the trend annoys me.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterbits333

Personally, it scares me, not knowing what the long-term implications could be, since this is a relatively new thing.

Although "the low carb madness" is fairly new, before agriculture, people have been eating this way for billions of years. Heart problems were few before grains came into the picture.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So how did people ever manage to lose weight without diets like these? Whatever happened to moderate portions, healthy food (which includes bread, cereal, rice, pasta, potatoes and other CARBS) and regular exercise?

Talk it up all you want, but I get to eat whatever I want and still lose 1 lb a week, which is a normal healthy weight loss.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzybee
Although "the low carb madness" is fairly new, before agriculture, people have been eating this way for billions of years. Heart problems were few before grains came into the picture.
I'll agree to that, but then again, human life was much different in those times, which I'd think would play into it. I'm no expert, and I'm certainly biased by my vegetarian beliefs, just my opinion.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:38 PM

if the part that is getting everyone's drawers in a bunch is that my dh can occasionally eat chocolate & ice cream & soy-flax chips with his guacamole, in addition to all the healthier foods he is eating, so he can eat this way as a lifestyle (instead of say, his mother, who failed when all this 'trendy' food wasn't around because she likes chocolate & ice cream & ended up getting a bypass that leaves her pukey & sick every day of her life), oh well.

uh, jenne, i understand that this was a 'vent', but do you really think you can just 'vent' calling possibly thousands of mdc members stupid & eventually some of them aren't going to get weary of hearing your misinformed opinion of *their* diet? i've heard a lot of things on this thread that made my eyes roll, but i've said it all before... i'm glad mattia had the stomach for correcting it, i have just gotta laugh & hand you a donut.

suse
Old 07-11-2004, 01:40 PM

Isn't low carb bread an oxymoron? It is to me. I would die before I would go low carb, I loke ice cream to much
Old 07-11-2004, 01:41 PM

So how do we explain all those healthy, normal-weight energetic people who don't have to deny themselves certain foods? "Just lucky"?
Old 07-11-2004, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suseyblue
uh, jenne, i understand that this was a 'vent', but do you really think you can just 'vent' calling possibly thousands of mdc members stupid & eventually some of them aren't going to get weary of hearing your misinformed opinion of *their* diet? i've heard a lot of things on this thread that made my eyes roll, but i've said it all before... i'm glad mattia had the stomach for correcting it, i have just gotta laugh & hand you a donut.
Okaaaaay, I don't think that my post called anybody "stupid". I did say I think the hype on all of this - the marketing companies making junk food out to be healthy - is ridiculous. And I didn't make any misinformed opinion of *their* diet - I said I was sick & tired of the low carb - eat all the crap you want as long as it doesn't have carbs in it - craze. Really not sure why you have such a problem with that. Here's my OP in case you misread it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_homebirthing
Am I the only one who has had it with this low carb craze? If I see one more low carb sign or commercial I think I'm going to go balistic!!! Have you seen the new Coke C2??? Ridiculous! Personally I love my carbs and don't think it's healthy to take your diet to extremes like that. Ugh! Just had to vent....
I would think that a person such as yourself who is obviously educated in the "right" way to lower carb intake would not qualify your diet as a "craze" and therefore none of this would even apply to you. I'd also think that you'd know enough to know that any extreme form of dieting is usually NOT the healthiest approach, and this is exactly what the craze is hyping. And while I do love my carbs, no where in there did I state "donuts". Thanks though for making that assumption of me.

Old 07-11-2004, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suseyblue
if the part that is getting everyone's drawers in a bunch is that my dh can occasionally eat chocolate & ice cream & soy-flax chips with his guacamole, in addition to all the healthier foods he is eating, so he can eat this way as a lifestyle (instead of say, his mother, who failed when all this 'trendy' food wasn't around because she likes chocolate & ice cream & ended up getting a bypass that leaves her pukey & sick every day of her life), oh well.

suse
: Good gracious. Read the OP again. I don't see her calling anybody stupid.

I haven't tried Atkins but I tried "The Carbohydrate Addicts' Diet," which I believe is similar. I didn't like it. I became constipated and got completely sick of trying to find proteins that I could eat. Not for me.

I feel the same way about the "low-carb craze" and the constant in your face ads as I did the "low fat craze" in the late 1980's. Remember "Healthy Choice Cookies"? Sugar, sugar, sugar, but oh, they were low fat. The legacy of that? Lots of fat people with diabetes. We don't know all the implications of these diets.

In addition, many, many people following one of these diets are NOT using the book, either. They just think, oh, I'll cut out bread and be fine. Their ignorance is not helped by the media type.

Why would anybody here care what your DH eats? If he's eating mostly healthy, more power to him. Is *anybody* claiming that a donut is healthy? I don't get it.

Since you all are ticked already, it occurs to me to mention that I could substitute the words "breast milk" and "formula" into this conversation and it reads really familiarly, what with all the generalizations and defensiveness going on. :
Old 07-11-2004, 02:04 PM

If it is all of the "Atkins-friendly" products and ads that are driving people crazy, that is interesting because those products may actually be the downfall of the trend.....

I heard an interesting (to me, at least ) theory about "fad diets" a few weeks ago (can't remember where--pbs?). They work really well at first, because they eliminate a group of foods. Doesn't really matter what foods--just that the choice of foods is limited. Limited food choice= lower calories ingested (my dh lost 30 pounds one year just eliminating dairy....no other constrictions).

Then--the diet gets really, really popular, and everyone wants a piece of the marketing pie. So all of these "diet friendly" products are marketed, and suddenly the choice of foods is not limited at all! Think back to the low-fat trend: fat-free cookies, fat-free cake, fat-free icecream...you name it! And, predictably, people lost less weight on the fat-free plan with lots of new fat-free choices.

Only time will tell, but, as people incorporate all of these engineered "low carb" products into their diets, the low-carb diet may prove to be much less effective.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:21 PM

Hey Mattia! Congratulations on the weight loss! That's fantastic! I am about where I was when I talked to you last, but with a bun in the oven, so my waist is disappearing.

And on the topic -- the real problem with any fad diet is people hear what they want. With a low carb diet people hear "cut out bread and blah blah blah." The "blah blah blah" is the hard part -- eat whole foods, eat 10 cups of vegetables a day, etc. My health has improved tremendously on a low carb diet. I didn't do it for weight loss purposes (though I lost weight). I did it because the way of eating I had before was not sustainable. Now I am eating a lot more protein and animal fats. My pregnancy this time around is already tremendously easier than the last.

We've got a big ant problem on our property here. Do you guys know of a natural way to destroy ant colonies? Feed them sugar. After several generations, they'll be sterile. Yikes!

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 07-11-2004, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama
Only time will tell, but, as people incorporate all of these engineered "low carb" products into their diets, the low-carb diet may prove to be much less effective.
Yes, or people will be in such poor health that it won't matter. Any food in a package is not fit for consumption. (Had to choose my words carefully there in light of Cynthia's thread in TAO. LOL)

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 07-11-2004, 02:29 PM

FTR, I HAVE read "new diet revolution". I am about yeah-close to a biology degree and have taken a lot of A&P and human nutrition. The idea that you should be in ketosis to lose weight is silly - before ketosis was marketted as a weight-loss goal, IT WAS CONSIDERED A DANGEROUS MEDICAL CONDITION. And you know what, it still is detrimental to your health - it is just so heavily marketted that most doctors ignore it now. If you are in poor health, purposefully putting yourself into ketosis could be the last straw.

Anyway...

I don't care who is on the diet. I care that I can't get through the store without hearing about it a billion times. I care about ads with "net carb" information - if you look at the actual foods themselves, often a brand marketted as "low carb" actually has a higher carbohydrate content than other brands of the same food, which aren't marketted this way. But what bugs me the most is the people who go on these diets without ever reading up on them and think that you just eat meat - no veggies or fruits or anything - but then think that they can eat anything that has "Atkins-approved" or "low-carb" on it. People do this because it is so popular - if it wasn't pushed so heavily, people might actually have to THINK about it. I don't care if people make a choice I wouldn't make about their diets, what bugs me is the herd mentality where no choice is made at all, just a following.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

Old 07-11-2004, 02:30 PM

My BIL was very overweight, and he was told to go on Atkins by his doctor. He did lose a ton of weight, but it still doesn't make sense to me that making extreme changes like that could possibly be beneficial!

And ITA - the way the marketing experts have jumped on the low-carb wagon is just insane. What's next, fat-free lard??

IMHO the only healthy, safe and effective way to lose weight is to simply eat less and move more!
Old 07-11-2004, 02:47 PM

i remember during the no fat craze in the 90's i saw an apple labled "non-fat"
Old 07-11-2004, 03:34 PM

ok, try to imagine this thread with the word 'vegetarian' subbed for 'low carb', with people who don't know any better saying things like, 'i can't understand why these people don't know that they are not getting enough protein when they won't eat meat! it's so stupid i can't believe it!'

wouldn't the educated vegetarians tend to roll their eyes at that ignorance?

i'm not upset, but thank you for your concern, lol. just making a point.

and the whole 'just eat less' scenario- so, all samoans (except the rock ) are just gluttons who don't know when to stop, huh? is it *possible* there is a genetic component to weight loss, that say, keeps people who metabolize food differently (like polynesians on long ocean voyages) alive in times of famine that kill ectomorphs? it is a bit of an insult to obese people to state that that portion control is their only hope and they are ridiculous for trying something that demonstrably *works*.

legitimate scientific criticisms of ketosis or of a diet without fresh fruits and vegetables (none of which are advocated by any low carbOHYDRATE plan- see, i'm not one of those dumb people who don't know that it is an abbreviation, as was maintained in an earlier post-uh, this statement is not imputing stupidity to followers of this diet?) are not a problem imho, but the implications of dullness attributed to those who choose to reduce carbOHYDRATES are pretty rude.

i am one of the people here who don't have a problem with rude comments on message boards, no censorship on my account, please! but i am certainly going to mention it when i see it!
Old 07-11-2004, 04:17 PM

A question for the original poster and the people who agreed with her - are you as bent out of shape by all the low calorie/low fat products touted in grocery stores and restaurants? I don't know how old you guys are but I am old enough to remember the advent of many of these products and how vigorously these products were advertised. It is exactly the same as the low carb convenience food craze.

Of course, as with a low fat WHOLE FOODS diet, it is possible to eat a low carb WHOLE FOODS diet. Who says you have to use any low fat or low carbohydrate convenience products to stick to a dietary plan? Do you automatically assume that every person eating a low fat/low calorie diet is loading up on Snackwells and diet Pepsi?
Old 07-11-2004, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie and Griffin
A question for the original poster and the people who agreed with her - are you as bent out of shape by all the low calorie/low fat products touted in grocery stores and restaurants? I don't know how old you guys are but I am old enough to remember the advent of many of these products and how vigorously these products were advertised. It is exactly the same as the low carb convenience food craze.

Of course, as with a low fat WHOLE FOODS diet, it is possible to eat a low carb WHOLE FOODS diet. Who says you have to use any low fat or low carbohydrate convenience products to stick to a dietary plan? Do you automatically assume that every person eating a low fat/low calorie diet is loading up on Snackwells and diet Pepsi?
Speaking for myself, it was the marketing of low carb foods EVERYWHERE that was driving me nuts. Not people who follow safe, healthy diets, but marketing that is out of control. That's all. No more, no less.

Old 07-11-2004, 04:31 PM

I have no problem eating foods that are naturally low-fat, low-carb or low-calorie. What I think is gross is when my dh drinks a 64-ounce diet soda every day! And he's not even into all the low-carb stuff!

I read another thread here from a mom whose CNM was telling her to avoid grapefruit during pgcy because it was "loaded with carbs." Well, I'll take a grapefruit (or a potato, or bread, or pasta) over a diet soda any day!
Old 07-11-2004, 04:31 PM

Yes, I got just as sick of all the low-fat/no-fat crap as well. Still sick of it.

And no not all low-carbers are buying the Atkins ect.. products but many people are just as there are many low-fat dieters that for sure eat a lot of the low-fat/diet foods.

I do think you can be healthy and eat a diet low in carbs but I just don't think all the emphasizes on low-carb/no carb is the way to go or healthy for most people and for sure all the low-carb products aren't. I mean when people are eating bacon twice a day but won't eat a carrot or an apple somethings wrong, imo of course.
I would actually assume anyone here at MDC that eats low-carb would be doing so in a healthy way but dare I say most here aren't exactly a true sample of most people going low-carb. Just my thoughts on it.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 07-11-2004, 04:36 PM

Hey Jamie, that is exactly what bugs me the most - the idea that if you eat these convenience foods you are following the diet. I don't assume that if someone is on a low-fat or low-carb diet they are eating crap - my ire tends to be focussed on those who are loading up grocery carts with whatever is the marketted trend at the moment, thinking that this is a legitimate way to lose weight. I also dislike the whole marketting scheming. I personally can look at a "Nutrition Facts" label and understand it, and know that most MDC mamas can, but wonder whether many of these diet followers can, or if they just buy whatever is marketted most effectively.

I am not Samoan but I am part-Hawaiian. Most Hawaiians were not large (and I'm pretty sure this is true of Samoans as well), it was a priviledge of high status. Sometimes we think of what Hawaiians used to eat and we picture the more priviledged diet, which wasn't necessarily the healthier one, if that makes any sense. I wonder how many ethnic diets are this way - do they actually focus on what was eaten by people of that ethnicity, or are they focussing on a prettied-up picture of it, or maybe a slightly-changed picture (imagine the Chinese food available in most US cities - this isn't really Chinese food, it is Americanized Chinese food, are ethnic diets Americanized? Do they lose their effectiveness in this way, like how any diet can lose effectiveness if sufficiently watered-down?). It is true of any ethnic group that the less you eat the more 'efficient' your metabolism gets, and I'd imagine that some people just get more 'efficient' faster and easier.

And of course, there is the issue of whether it is always actually healthier to be lighter. Usually it is, but not if you are harming yourself to get there (not necessarily the case with low-carb diets, this can be true of any diet).

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

User Tag List