Low carbs making you crazy??? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

#121 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't read the entire thread, but wanted to add a couple of comments...

I think any diet that promotes lots of red meat as a healthy part of your diet is dangerous, which brings me to my second point...

Did you hear about the guy who is suing the Atkins diet program because he got heart disease after being on the diet? Um... duh... it's all the meat and eggs, maybe???? Did he think that was going to be good for his heart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie and Griffin
Hi, Amanda! Congratulations on your pregnancy. Did you move to your utopia in the mountains?
Yep, we are here. The sky is actually blue here. Frederick had developed allergies (I assume because of the air pollution in Visalia) which cleared up in four days. My husband has had allergies forever that are getting a lot better. WE're still working on fighting the deer, squirrels, and gophers over the garden. We'll get there.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#123 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 12:06 PM

Haven't read the thread but saw a young teen wearing a shirt with the food pyramid and it said I love Carbs...lol
#124 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 12:26 PM

My my my...what an ugly twist this thread has taken since I left for the weekend! As one who participated originally with a few snide comments about the marketing aspect, I feel attacked by those who assume A) that I am someone who has not studied the nutritional aspect of dieting and B) I am bashing any person who chooses to eat a HEALTHY low carbohydrate diet and C) that I think anyone on such a diet does not even know the correct term is "carbohydrate" not "carb". Sheesh. Give me (and others) a little more credit. I posted because I am sick of the marketing hype, and they are not marketing the healthy, whole foods, they are marketing the processed stuff. Chanley made an excellent point:
Quote:
I wish we had a low processed fad. But whole foods only make money for farmers, not big corporations that make franken food.
And in the marketing, these corporations are assuming that the population is so ignorant that they cannot take the time to read labels and make the choices for themselves; everything has to have a bright label "LOW CARB" in big letters or duhhhh, we just won't get it. And some stuff, like the low-carb flavored rum, is just absurd. I wouldn't criticize a restaurant for including healthy items that are consistent with a low-carbohydrate diet, or the people who make an educated choice to follow such a diet, but people like my boss, who hasn't read the book but brings donuts into the office for coffee break and then spends more money for an "Atkins friendly" lunch item from a fast food place, well......interesting.

And yes, in fact I do have the same venom for anything the big frankenfood corporations put in your face with big media campaigns. They take what can be a good idea for some and dumb down the concept so people will buy their processed products. That practice annoys me, whether it is low fat, lite, vegetarian, whatever. This thread just happened to be about how they are doing this with low carb stuff, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyhow, just wanted to make it clear that I don't think anyone who follows a low carb diet is necessarily stupid.

#125 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 12:38 PM

I have a question, maybe someone has an answer. I was loosely doing the low calorie "diet" in the Curves weight loss book. Mainly just trying to eat a bit more protein (I work out and do not consume much protein), eat whole grains instead of bad carbs (like ww spaghetti, ww bread with no hydrogenated oils, etc) and eating more fresh fruit and veggies. I bought some soy protein shake mix to have on hand to make smoothie snacks, but everytime I eat something like that I end up with a migraine... thoughts?

PS- other than the migraines when I consume soy shakes, I felt better when I consumed some protein and had less cravings for sugar and was losing the spare tire around my middle. I got bored with it and snacked on pringles the last two weeks and now I've gained 7lb in three weeks. No kidding. There was a nice article in Chiropractic Monthly last month that compared proteins and talked about complete and incomplete proteins and suggested a variety... not just bacon and eggs!
#126 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 12:45 PM

Wanted to add in response to the OP, that yes, I am annoyed by all the hype. I am tired of reading ingredient labels to see they contain partially hydrogenated soybean, palm, canola or etc oil, food colorings, BHT, BHA and other unpronouncable ingredients.

My grandma is doing Atkins to the extreme- bacon and eggs for breakfast every morning, her salads are slathered in thick dressings, and she eats these energy bar things from New Image for lunch every day (not sure what the ingredients are for that stuff). She started that diet, oh about 2-3 years ago and if she's lost any weight at all you can't tell. I don't think she's doing it by the book though, at least it seems too extreme. ;scratch

She did quit drinking diet soda after I explained the dangers of artificial sweeteners... she has chosen instead to save pop (er, soda) for special occassions and not every day drinking.
#127 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 12:49 PM

Hi everyone

i have only read a couple pages (1st and last) :LOL

and i have to say im sick of the low carb craze... im sick of the low carb alcohol, fast food etc... but this is one i dont get

Low Carb Pasta Sauce... huh i thought pasta was off limits... i see all this crap at work.. and laugh my arse off...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#128 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 12:50 PM

I've been struggling to lose thirty pounds that I gained rather quickly last year- punds which have been totally resistant to loss in spite of following all the standard weight loss rules. I mean, I trained for and ran a marathon this winter/spring, did aquarobics and spinning classes 3x a week, all the while following Weight Watchers (sensible portions of a variety of foods) and did not lose ONE SINGLE POUND! (I also had my body fat % checked over several months, so I know it wasn't just a matter of muscle gain.) Calories in - calories out? Sorry, it does not work that way for everyone. It *used to* work that way for me, but something in my physical makeup isn't playing by the rules anymore. I am extremely active and for months I've been faithfully tracking my caloric intake, and according to conventional weight loss mathematics, I should have been losing weight. It was all so baffling I even had my thyroid checked - but it was normal.

A month ago, I cut out most refined sugar and flour (and yes, even much of the "good carb" whole wheat) and even though my caloric intake has remained the same, I have lost 7 pounds. I am now eating essentially the way I did while I had gestational diabetes - low fat and very controlled carbohydrates, no matter what their source. Back when I was testing my blood sugar every day, I learned that even "good" carbohydrates could send my blood sugar way out of the normal range. Adult onset diabetes runs in my family, and I am becoming quite convinced that I (and many others, I'm sure) don't metabolize food in the "normal" way.

The low-carb marketing blitz is silly, but no more silly than most marketing, IMHO. Yeah it's kinda lame, but for me it doesn't induce the emotional reaction that I've seen expressed in some of these posts. The availability of products like the Atkins Subway wrap make it easier to go out and be "normal" - rather than always having to customize your order or avoiding eating out altogether. The wraps that Subway offers are *not* "just thinner wraps" as a previous poster suggested. Most sandwich wraps are big flour tortillas. The Atkins wraps are made with oat fiber and soy flour - and are much higher in fiber and protein and lower in sugar and fat and calories than any other sandwich wraps and sandwich breads. When I eat a regular Subway sandwich - lets say chicken and veggies on whole wheat - I can feel my blood sugar spike and crash afterward. It doesn't happen with the wraps.

Yeah, some of the low-carb pre-packaged stuff is just junk food, but now and then when I *want* junk food, it's nice to have some options that aren't going to send me into a sugar-shocked coma for the rest of the day.

23 pounds to go,
qb
#129 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 01:07 PM

AMEN! I hate the new low carb trend. It will probably cause cancer...everything else does
#130 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 01:27 PM

tricia, don't laugh- the low carbOHYDRATE (ok, flute, lol ) pasta (it used to be vile, vile stuff; soy that never got tender no matter how long you cooked it, & 6 or 7 bucks besides) is now, like qb said about the wraps, a higher fiber, higher protein & TASTY meal.

if people are gonna get on the low-carb followers about too much meat, for god's sake, don't rain on their pasta too! (khrisday, if you are here, i apologize about what i said about low-carb pasta- you must've had the good stuff come out where you are before i did!) and if you get pasta sauce without added sugar/corn syrup too (which i did long before my dh ever went low-carb- blech. barilla is good, not to mention muir glen organics etc) it is reasonably low in carbs itself.

frankenfoods do indeed suck; and i am hoping the opposite of many here- that the success of the diet continues to do what it has started doing, which is offer a wider variety of higher quality food at lower prices, & that there will be non-gmo, less processed, organic alternatives soon.

what exactly is wrong with a lower carb potato that is not gmo? do you get irritated at makers of diabetic foodstuffs too? insulin issues in common, & i'm sure they make a profit... my diabetic biostepdad eats a healthy diet too, and also likes an occasional treat like the highly processed artificially sweetened chocolate. i'm asking gently, why does this not upset people, but low carb stuff for the obese does? i believe that it is acceptable, because it is still considered acceptable by society to discriminate against fat people.

i don't think the thread *got* ugly; i think it started that way. i hope people will start to have more compassion for those struggling with weight issues & realize that mere portion control is not always enough for those with insulin reactions to high carbohydrate foods. no one will make anyone who doesn't *want* to lower their carbs, i promise! your krispy kremes will never go out of business! (even if the stock prices fall, lol.)

suse
#131 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 01:49 PM

I don't think this was ever "against" the diet, I think it was more about everytime you turn around something Low-Carb is staring you in the face. Watch network TV in prime time and you will know what I mean it is getting to a point that EVERY commercial you see is low-carb, and every food item wants to jump on the band wagon!!!!

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
#132 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playdoh
May I ask what blood types you are, Mattia and Brayg?
I'm A+
#133 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzybee
Although "the low carb madness" is fairly new, before agriculture, people have been eating this way for billions of years. Heart problems were few before grains came into the picture.

If I'm reading this: http://www.geog.ouc.bc.ca/conted/onl...0/210_3_4.html

correctly, it appears to me that humans began growing grains & other items agriculturally about 10,000 years ago. If anyone has a different timeline on this, I am certainly not an expert.

Life expectancy in 8,000 B.C. was only about 26-30 years of age. I can't imagine that any of these people were living long enough to develop heart disease. Perhaps this accounts for the low rates.
#134 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 02:30 PM

These are some quotes from just the first 2 pages of this thread. It reeks of misinformation and an elitist type of attitude, IMNSHO.

As far as the "I'd rather be a little overweight than give up food I like" comment--some of us aren't/weren't a "little overweight" and it isn't just about giving up foods we like. It's about having a life where you aren't denied for medical insurance because you weigh too much. It's about being able to conceive another child--one that you so desperately want but can't because you have a condition that makes you infertile and by controlling carbohydrates, you get all that back. It isn't about vanity or the fact that I want to lose that last 10lbs to look good in a bikini. I just want to fit through the turnstyle at Menard's. Or the movie theater seats. *sigh*

Quote:
I love my carbs... pasta, bread, fruits and veggies...yum!
Quote:
They just did a study I think in Germany that is now linking the low carb thing to fertility issues! One more reason for me not to do it! : I have done an Atkins like thing and it totally sucks! I LOVE bread and pasta just too much!
Quote:
whatever happened to watching what you ate and exercizing?
Quote:
I also wonder whatever happened to regular exercise and portion control, but I guess we are all looking for a "faster" way to get what we want.
Quote:
I refuse to do such diets.... I just don't think they are healthy.
Quote:
I don't mean to diminish the struggle that some people have with weight, but please. It's calories in vs. calories out. There is no magic formula - never has been, never will be.
Quote:
We're balanced-diet kind of people and won't be going on any of these diets any time soon.
Quote:
UGH... I hate this fad (atleast I hope that what this is). Don't eat apples 'cause they're high in carbs...that sounds like great diet to me. Don't eat heathly fruit and vegetables, eat meat and fat and yuck.
Quote:
What about a fad where you ate small portions and then went for a walk!
Quote:
My only reaction to yet another stupid fad diet is that the stupid die young.
Quote:
Personally, I'd rather be a little overweight than give up food I like.
Quote:
I am sick and tired of the whole thing. I refuse to have ANY part in it. I abhor it.
#135 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 02:33 PM

My annoyance with all the low-carb marketing has NOTHING to do with discriminating against fat people, I am a fat person. I am just so tired of everywhere I look LOW-CARB in my face, eveyone is talking about it oh how skinny you can get real fast. I don't often hear someone doing it for health reason, usually only vanity. I mostly hear normal weight women obsessing with their NORMAL weight talking about being able to lose weight going low-carb (my mom is one of them).
It is becoming like low-fat/no fat craze , where you couldn't go anywhere or watch anything w/o hearing low-fat blah blah blah.
I am all for healthy eating low-carb or not. I understand being overwieght (I'm there) and I think it's great that those of you here have cut down on carbs, especially the icky refine ones and lost weight, really congrats!!!!
I completely agree that there are people who are highly sensitive to carbs and I do think it's great those people have access to low-crab treats now.
But all the marketing/propaganda is just overkill.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#136 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 03:12 PM

"I do think it's great those people have access to low-crab treats now."

Mmmmmm. All the taste, half the crabs.
#137 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 03:44 PM

you know, that made me have such a craving i went & splurged on crabmeat yesterday, but i'm not putting it in ice cream! my maryland native dh is getting crab-cakes minus bready binders, lol (and so ds can eat them, they will be made with soy creamer & oat milk :P)

suse

(shea, i didn't say everyone who posted that the hype was making them annoyed was discriminatory to fat people, altho' of course BEING one doesn't exempt one from being influenced by subtle societal signals. but i think brayg made her point with the quotes, don't you? nothing's 'ugly' when it's 'us' against 'them' & you are one of 'us'- it's only ugly when 'they' finally speak up.)
#138 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 04:28 PM

busybusymomma--not all soy products are processed the same. My son had/has soy allergies. He can not drink soy milk or eat tofu but when have found products that have soy (flour, I guess what you call it) in it that does not bother him one bit. IMO, (Unedcated opinion) I think it is like dairy were milk might bother a person but not yogurt or cheese.

tricia80--I have not read the back of the low carb speghitti sauce. There are low carb noodles (they are very high in fiber). On a side note about JARRED/PROCESSED speghitti sauce often time there is sugar in it which noone needs in their diet. I do not buy jarred sauce because often times there is mushrooms in it. My dh is very allergic to mushrooms. I cannot kiss him after eating them or he gets sick. Speghitti sauce in small amounts can be a wonderful dip. A few years ago I did not have a car and had no noodles so I made up a dish of brocilli, squash, zuchini, carrots, verious cheese and they dipped a way. They now request me to put left over sauce in small bags so they can pull one out and dip away.

Also Speghitti sauce on speghitti squash is (IMO) wonderful. I/we did this before I started LOW CARB'ing it.

With low carb dieting does not equal red meat. You can and do it only on fowl, see food, and pork. **Again before I even started Atkins if I would eat a little red/dark meat two to three days before I my period my iron levels don't dip. This added red/dark meat prevented bad PMS and tiring periods.

If you see/hear a person eating a lot of bacon on the diet they are not reading the lables or misreading lables. Most bacon is cured with sugars. Sugars are no-no's on low carb diets. You can find it but it is expensive.

As for the law suit against Atkins ---UMM--- I think that is like the law suits against McDonalds and smoking industries. The guy that is suing Atkins is supported by a group called Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, which advocates a no-meat, no-dairy, no-fish vegan lifestyle. They have a bias opinion. If they would win or settled out of court this would support their cause so there is/can be an alternate less than honorable motive happening. This orginization was also responcible for cirrculating misinformation about Dr. Atkins death. (For the record Dr. Atkins slipped on ice, had brain injury and spent a month in a comma before he died. His medical records shows that he ballooned up 60lbs during this time. He had very typical medical issues of someone in a comma and brain injury.)

This guy admits that he started Atkins on a pastrami and cheesecake diet. http://writ.news.findlaw.com/comment..._zipursky.html I don't know the ingredents to pastrami, but a lot of lunch meats are a NO-NO because of fillers. As for cheesecake it is not in the induction phase. To be in the diet at all there are many modifications 1. crustless or an almond/nut type crust (which is a no during the induction). 2. No sugar. Also in induction cream cheese is only recommended about one once a day. I doubt a slice of cheese cake has just one once.

Playdoh I am AB negative.

One more thought. This d#@$ C-2 (low carb coke) has 14 carbs in it. It does not fit in any low carb diet.
#139 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom
As for the law suit against Atkins ---UMM--- I think that is like the law suits against McDonalds and smoking industries. The guy that is suing Atkins is supported by a group called Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, which advocates a no-meat, no-dairy, no-fish vegan lifestyle. They have a bias opinion. If they would win or settled out of court this would support their cause so there is/can be an alternate less than honorable motive happening. This orginization was also responcible for cirrculating misinformation about Dr. Atkins death. (For the record Dr. Atkins slipped on ice, had brain injury and spent a month in a comma before he died. His medical records shows that he ballooned up 60lbs during this time. He had very typical medical issues of someone in a comma and brain injury.)

This guy admits that he started Atkins on a pastrami and cheesecake diet. http://writ.news.findlaw.com/comment..._zipursky.html I don't know the ingredents to pastrami, but a lot of lunch meats are a NO-NO because of fillers. As for cheesecake it is not in the induction phase. To be in the diet at all there are many modifications 1. crustless or an almond/nut type crust (which is a no during the induction). 2. No sugar. Also in induction cream cheese is only recommended about one once a day. I doubt a slice of cheese cake has just one once.
Ugh, I heard about that misinformation thing. Not only are their intentions less than honest with the hidden agenda, what about HIPAA regulations and release of information? Just because he died doesn't make his medical information fodder for everybody. The only people who had the right to release his medical information would have been his family and legal representation, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom
One more thought. This d#@$ C-2 (low carb coke) has 14 carbs in it. It does not fit in any low carb diet.
:LOL I have to admit I wondered when I thought "Half the sugar? That's still a heckava lot of sugar." I was only interested because I figured even half the sugar would be better than my insulin reaction to diet drinks with aspartame.
#140 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 06:27 PM

Quote:
i think brayg made her point with the quotes, don't you?
:LOL

I hope you all don't think I'm an absolute nut--just trying to show where I felt the conversation taking a turn for the worse and where the defensiveness arose from.
#141 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 08:03 PM

Quote:
May I ask what blood types you are, Mattia and Brayg? I sometimes wonder about the validity of certain blood types doing much better on low carb than others. Please do not answer if you don't want to.

I have a very difficult time staying with low carb. I admire those who are diligent with it and see results.
I don't mind sharing. I'm type O+.

BTW, Brayg, those are some of the quotes that were getting my very loose undies in a wad, too.
#142 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 08:17 PM

Quote:
May I ask what blood types you are, Mattia and Brayg? I sometimes wonder about the validity of certain blood types doing much better on low carb than others.
I don't remember what the book was called- 'eat for your blood type' or something. DH is A+ and they had him basically on a very low carb style diet and me at B+ as moderation- that I needed to have some of everything or I would feel deprived and fail.

Sorry I don't have the exact book, it was from the library.

DH didn't read the book and truely follow a healthy low carb diet. He does'nt follow any diet for that matter so he has not been successful at any of them.
#143 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattia
BTW, Brayg, those are some of the quotes that were getting my very loose undies in a wad, too.
:
#144 of 183 Old 07-12-2004, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayg
:LOL

I hope you all don't think I'm an absolute nut--just trying to show where I felt the conversation taking a turn for the worse and where the defensiveness arose from.
I see your point. I'm so in the habit of skimming the short "from the hip" responses in a thread that I think I missed a lot of these.

OTOH, I think probably where most people were coming from is a place where people they know are buying into the "low carb craze" and think if they order "low carb" entrees from a restaurant and buy Atkins brownies and such that they're doing the low carb thing. I for one have known way too many people whose idea of low carb was double cheeseburgers without the bread, steak, and bacon and eggs. My DH's two bosses are like that; he comes home and tells me about the enormous amounts of greasy meats they eat and just shakes his head at it.

It sounds like you all are certainly "doing it right" and not like the majority of people I have known (and probably others who posted the unfavorable/offensive comments).

I disagree with Suse that the thread started ugly. I think the OP has a valid point about the pervasiveness of the ads. I think a whole, whole lot of people are misinformed about the intents of the Atkins diet and are really being sucked into this marketing blitz. What's the difference with being angry about that and being angry about formula companies' marketing? It's big money taking advantage of ignorance, and it's shameful.

ETA: I have learned a lot about these diets on this thread and you all have corrected some of my misperceptions about it, for which I thank you.
#145 of 183 Old 07-13-2004, 11:58 AM

OMG this bugs the freaking crap out of me. Dh and I rant on and on about it.

I was at Target getting some M&M's and they had a whole section of low carb candy. You know what....if you want to lose weight STOP EATING F*^(ING CANDY.
#146 of 183 Old 07-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magemom
I don't remember what the book was called- 'eat for your blood type' or something. DH is A+ and they had him basically on a very low carb style diet and me at B+ as moderation- that I needed to have some of everything or I would feel deprived and fail.

Sorry I don't have the exact book, it was from the library.
Yes, I believe that is Peter D'Amo (?) book. I cannot imagine the recommendation to be low carb for an A positive blood type! That blood type needs carbs. No dairy for A positive and coffee helps to build more stomach acid (something that blood type tends to be low in). Lots of soy as well. That blood type does the best as a vegetarian.
#147 of 183 Old 07-13-2004, 12:28 PM

lao, i hope i'll see you with a protest sign outside target trying to get them to take the diabetic candy off the shelves, too. fair's fair. ('who do these fat people think they are, wanting to have a piece of chocolate? no treats for you!')

tracymom, thank you for reading the entire thread and seeing what we were talking about for yourself. it was the kneejerk negativity & judgement, not thoughtful questioning (and willingness to listen) that put the burr under my saddle.

suse
#148 of 183 Old 07-13-2004, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lao80
OMG this bugs the freaking crap out of me. Dh and I rant on and on about it.

I was at Target getting some M&M's and they had a whole section of low carb candy. You know what....if you want to lose weight STOP EATING F*^(ING CANDY.
See, and this is the reeky ignorance that irritates the carp out of me. Do you think that diabetics/sugar addicts (yes, it's a real thing--much like alcoholism or any substance addiction)/low carbers aren't allowed a treat every now and then without blowing their entire diet or putting their blood sugar spinning out of control? Do non-alcoholic beverages, such as O'Douls bother you this much too? Because if alcoholics want to quit, STOP DRINKING F*^(ING ALCOHOL. Do nicotine patches/gums/etc. bother you too? Because if they want to quit smoking, they just need to stop smoking F*ing cigarettes too. Sheesh.

Why does this all bother people so much? If you aren't buying the products, how is it affecting you? Sure--we are being inundated by advertising for all of this, but if it isn't low carb, it's beer advertising. Football advertising. Advertising in general goes way off the deep end when it comes to beating product recognition into our brains. That's why it costs so much. I'm tired of Subway commercials, Budweiser commercials, Fruit Rollup Commercials, etc. but I'm not getting as p*ssed off about them as some of you seem to be about low carb products. Who cares? If it doesn't pertain to you, put your blinders on as you make your way up to the checkout stand with your frozen pizza and pop tarts. (which is no healthier than said low carb "fad" products, IMO)
#149 of 183 Old 07-13-2004, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayg
Do you think that diabetics/sugar addicts (yes, it's a real thing--much like alcoholism or any substance addiction)/low carbers aren't allowed a treat every now and then?
I didn't post that original comment - thank goodness ! However, I did want to chime in that I am sure that most of us have no problem with the idea that you get treats, too : ! I eat soy ice cream, not b/c I think that it enhances the nutritional status of my vegan diet, but b/c I like it & I'm not out to feel deprived - no reason that you cannot do the same.

I must admit that I have never been really overweight, as many of you state you were prior to going LC. I could probably eat 24/7 & not wind up significantly overweight, so I am in no position to judge anyone's weight loss plan/diet.

I do think that what someone said a while back about good carbs vs. low carbs may be a better way to couch it. I think (?) that we all can agree that refined carbs are not good for you. Even those of us who would never dream of going low carb should try to minimize refined carbs. I do the best I can in that arena, but I am not perfect about it since it is harder to totally eliminate something when it is not showing an immenent effect on your health & you have no moral calling to do so (as I did to eliminate animal products). I didn't take to kindly to those who stated that vegan diets were unhealthy, so I am not in the least surprised that it would be offensive to those on a LC diet to hear how their diet is crummy in others' views.

I do know that those people whom I know who say that they are "doing Atkins" eat a lot of meat & seemingly little else. Perhaps it would be better for you LCers to call yourselves healthy carbers , as it sounds like that is more of what you are doing than cutting all carbohydrates.

And, yes, the low-fat stuff strikes me as as much junk/marketing propaganda as the low carb snacks do. We all need some junk, though. A friend of mine (who is very overweight) followed the low fat stuff for years when that was the rage. She lived on Snackwells, lite mayo, low fat this, that & the other. She is still very overweight. I believe that she is on the Schwarzbein Principle diet now. I'm not too familiar with the specifics of that one. I know that not all people who are following a LC diet eat packaged junk food as the main source of their nutrition, but I think that the media blitz is the source of the irritation here.

Carbohydrates are being made into the fats of the 2000s. All fats are not bad for you as all carbohydrates are not bad for you. I'm sure that most of you get that, but I am not sure that most of the viewing public does. That end of it is irritating.
#150 of 183 Old 07-13-2004, 01:39 PM
pln

Brayg said:
"Why does this all bother people so much? If you aren't buying the products, how is it affecting you?"

Hi! Just wanted to chime in here about how this affects us "ordinary" people
with two points:

1) At our local supermarket, they have taken away one whole aisle from the
health foods section and turned it into low-carb. In the process they have
removed many of the whole grains that I used to buy there (millet, quinoa,
bulk nutritional yeast, and whole wheat pastry flour) so that they can now
sell Atkins bars, Atkins shakes, and a whole other group of processed foods.
Keep in mind that there were only four aisles of specifically "health-food"
oriented products anyway, including the bulk aisle. Now I have to take an
extra trip to our whole foods market where I pay 2X as much for the same
bulk whole grains. They have also removed four brands of orange juice,
including the organic one, so that they can now put in the
"carb-smart" milk. We no longer buy the organic OJ b/c we can't afford the
price at the whole grocer. So the low-carb convenience craze IS affecting
me in the pocketbook, where it hurts.

2) Two of our local independent bread bakeries have now closed down or
have raised prices significantly because of the decreased business. Where have
the people gone? Certainly some of them that I know personally have gone to
BK or Subway. One of these bakeries is owned by my neighbor, who is reportedly
having a really hard time and may have to declare bankruptcy soon. It makes me
angry that the ads (not the dieters, but the ads) are running good people out of
business with their misinformation. Just one more local business committed
to local products, and organic breads, run out of business by Subway & BK.

Frankly, I think different diets work for different people depending on your
activity level, metabolism, and genetics. I think some people do respond to
a low-carb diet--I don't know why, and I really don't care why. More power
to them for trying to get healthy in any way they can. I also hope the makers
of soft bread with caramel coloring are run out of business, along with all the
other junk foods that shouldn't be on ANYBODY's shopping list.
If you looked at my shopping list, you might think that I was on a low-carb
diet simply because there are no processed foods or white pasta on it. I just
find it ridiculous that instead of lowering the price of freerange chicken or organic
broccoli, the low-carb trend has increased the number of processed foods
available.

I am not on any kind of diet b/c I don't need to be. I'm not LUCKY, I'm
just healthy and proud of it. I work hard to stay healthy and keep my
family healthy and I resent the implication that it's just "luck." If it means actually
planning ahead and shopping well to make my family healthy foods, getting up at 5 a.m.
to go for a run, or spending part of my weekends cooking
ahead for my family, then so be it. I don't begrudge anybody's right to have a candy
bar (yum) or a whole bag of cheetos (yuk). It is just frustrating when the
"trends" impinge upon my efforts to do what's right for my family by making
MY life more expensive and more inconvenient, or when folks who take
shortcuts (maybe not anyone here, but certainly SOMEONE is buying those bars)
get to spend less on their food budget than I do.

Ciao,
Priya

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page