Low carbs making you crazy??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Am I the only one who has had it with this low carb craze? If I see one more low carb sign or commercial I think I'm going to go balistic!!! Have you seen the new Coke C2??? Ridiculous! Personally I love my carbs and don't think it's healthy to take your diet to extremes like that. Ugh! Just had to vent....

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#2 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 01:29 PM

i cannot stand this low carb kick. and dh hates the term 'carb' and i think that most people dont even know the word is carbohydrate...

i will not buy anything that says low carb on it. i flat out refuse.

why dont people just watch their sugar and calorie intake??
#3 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 01:31 PM

I can't stand it either. They just did a study I think in Germany that is now linking the low carb thing to fertility issues! One more reason for me not to do it! : I have done an Atkins like thing and it totally sucks! I LOVE bread and pasta just too much!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#4 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 01:32 PM

add me to the list!
#5 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Banned

yes yes yes! i am so sick of this! whatever happened to watching what you ate and exercizing? you know it's not a healthy diet if pork rinds are an acceptable snack but, like, carrots aren't.

dh and i were at target yesterday and i saw... low-carb cheetos. if you are trying to lose weight, why are you eating cheetos?

i can't stand seeing or hearing the word 'carb', either. it's carbohydrate!
#6 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 01:36 PM

wait wait wait
don't forget

it's healthy to watch your 'carb' intake.
So drink SODA
with half the Added Sugar replaced with an Artifical Sweetner
(and of course this is for the people who can't stand the diet soda taste...)

After all
it's the healthy choice!

yeah, I'm pretty sick of it
low carb ice cream
low carb peanut butter
low carb bread

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#7 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 01:43 PM

UGH! NO MORE LOW CARB CRAP! it's *exactly* the same as the fat-free thing a few years ago.

:
#8 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 01:44 PM

I must chime in on this one.

Every time I shop for groceries somewhere other than our co-op, I hear at least 4 or 5 store-wide announcements about some low-carb option that is newly available. There are bright blue signs all over the produce department as well, announcing which veggies are 'carb-smart.' Now I can't even buy a head of cabbage without being attacked with the carb nonsense. Stop the insanity!
#9 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 01:50 PM

These low-carb menus at restaurants really get me. Why not just title it "high fat menu"? Oh, yeah, that's right, we're not counting that anymore, it's carbs. Sheesh.

I actually thought about trying the C2 because I am Coke-addicted but get an insulin response to diet drinks with aspartame as badly as with sugar drinks. I've cut way back on the sodas but still like an occasional Coke, but I don't like the blood sugar/insulin effect I get with them.
#10 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 01:55 PM

ME ME ME ME!!!!!!!

You are singing my song!!!!!!!! I am so sick of the whole low carb, no carb thing. I was in the store yesterday and say a mayo display and on the label it said still 0 carbs. I came home and checked on a jar of mayo in my fridge just to make sure they didn't change it!!!!! LOLOLOLOL

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
#11 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 01:55 PM

I don't eat many carbs, but I eat a whole foods diet, so these ridiculous products drive me crazy. People feel empowered to eat a whole new category of crap.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#12 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 01:56 PM

I also can't stand the fact that every other commercial on TV and every magazine is carb this and carb that. I appreciate the fact though that they do have low carb foods out now for my sake because I am hypoglycemic and can't have a lot of refined sugars but also think they're going too far with some of it.
#13 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 02:01 PM

I love carbs, just love em, and can eat pasta twice a day, everyday if given the choice.

Then i decided to lower my carb intake, in an effort to loose my middle.....and it does work, but i am realizing that it just cant be good to lower your carbs so severely. I mean, balanced is the way to go, and i am slowly introducing more carbs into my diet again.

I think moderation is the key. I mean, if i am gonna eat a 18oz porterhouse steak, how can just eating spinach be "OK"? so to make myself feel better i had a loaded baked potato and a strawberry margarita.....
#14 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think it's stupid. I'm just afraid that someday "carbs" are going to be illegal!

I love pasta and bread, and I also eat sugar. I don't see anything wrong with trying to eat less sugar, but when I do decide to cut down I don't fill in the blanks with diet sodas or crap like that; I go for more REAL FOOD!

I also wonder whatever happened to regular exercise and portion control, but I guess we are all looking for a "faster" way to get what we want.
#15 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 02:08 PM

Ugh, YES!!! I'm beginning to think it's more of a marketing craze than a consumer-driven thing. It's dumbed-down nutrition at its worst; so many of the "low-carb" items are overly processed, how can they be good for you?
#16 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 02:08 PM

What's wrong guys?

You don't like refined, over-processed, "fake" food?

And I thought this was the "un"natural living community.

Oops.

Kimberly
#17 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 02:14 PM

Yes... I'm fed up... but probably because my DH has been on Atkins for the last year or so. I'm so sick of trying to find ways to feed him... feed my child and then me. I refuse to do such diets.... I just don't think they are healthy. I stick to well balanced healthy foods (with the occasional jump from the wagon to the dark side.... the ice cream isle).

I'm just sick of my DH spending sooooo much money on this crap.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#18 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 02:17 PM

It makes me crazy. I was at a pizza place and they had a low carb special - it was a crustless pizza. They put the sauce on a plate, and layered it with meat and cheese!

I don't mean to diminish the struggle that some people have with weight, but please. It's calories in vs. calories out. There is no magic formula - never has been, never will be.

Of course you lose weight when you cut out all carbs - cut out any major food group and you'll lose weight. And then you'll gain it all back when you add it back into your diet, just like my SIL keeps doing. It makes me crazy I tell you!

One of dh's best friends is on the a low carb diet. We spent the weekend with him - he ate steak, cheese, fried foods, and more meat. He even fried up the previous night's steak for breakfast, topped with cheese! But he wouldn't eat the salad because the salad dressing had some carbs in it.
#19 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 02:18 PM

Quote:
LowNuts, the new Low-Carb Doughnuts!! We've taken out the carbs you're addicted to, and replaced them with NEW and IMPROVED food coloring, preservatives and assorted other chemical goodness! That fake taste you love, but better!!
Whoa, I got a little carried away there! Another thing that I've been seeing lately; milk is now being touted as the next weight-loss miracle, at least around here. Fancy cartons talking about shedding the pounds with milk, and blah blah blah.

Give me a break.
#20 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 02:19 PM

I've seen "carb" smart milk... :
#21 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbaby
It makes me crazy. I was at a pizza place and they had a low carb special - it was a crustless pizza. They put the sauce on a plate, and layered it with meat and cheese!
#22 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 02:21 PM

I don't eat artificial food. If it's naturally low in fat (like strawberries), sugar (like chicken) or carbs (like mayonnaise) that's fine but I like my milk full fat, my apples full sugar and my bread FULL CARB!
#23 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I've seen "carb" smart milk
Caytlyn, I have too....but its high in fat! It has extra cream or something, upping the fat content!
#24 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
And what the HELL is LOW CARB BREAD?!
#25 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 02:31 PM

GB, have you tried it? kinda tastes like carboard.....
#26 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 02:41 PM

DH and I are both sick of this. I swear if I hear another ad start with "watching your carbs? Well the new...." I'll scream, right there in the grocery store.

Remember a while back there was a Jack-In-The-Box commercial, asking people what they wanted in a burger (a room full of men) and they said "meat and cheese" and something about not needing a bun...well, it is reality now.

Every time we go to the store, we throw high-carbohydrate foods into the cart with a happy "uh oh - CARBS!" spoken incredulously like a radio commercial we heard a while back. We're balanced-diet kind of people and won't be going on any of these diets any time soon.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#27 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 03:10 PM

UGH... I hate this fad (atleast I hope that what this is). Don't eat apples 'cause they're high in carbs...that sounds like great diet to me. Don't eat heathly fruit and vegetables, eat meat and fat and yuck.

What about a fad where you ate small portions and then went for a walk!

I love my carbs... pasta, bread, fruits and veggies...yum!

ETA: My dh wanted to try this and I said fine but he would have to cook for himself ( I don't cook hamburger, bacon, etc). It lasted like a week and he said he felt terrible the whole time
#28 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 03:29 PM

Yes, yes, it's so nice to have "Gout" around as a prevalent disease again...nothing like bringing medieval diseases back to life...

Oh, and the constipation that comes from only eating protein sources, that should make America a kinder, gentler nation...Happy Ketosis!

My only reaction to yet another stupid fad diet is that the stupid die young. People who follow this fad to the extreme will take years off their lives by not eating the foods that bring health & vitality. We as a country should be growing more fruits & veg to feed the world, not raising excess numbers of livestock that the land can't support.
#29 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 03:29 PM

I wonder if there's any connection between the "craze" and the jump in price of items like milk, eggs, and meat. I'm borderline anemic and I was craving a good steak the other day but yikes, I can't afford it!

I have to laugh when my boss goes out to Burger King or Subway to spend a few dollars a day on their "low carb" offerings, while I sit there feasting on home grown salad and leftover spinach lasagna that didn't cost me anything extra. He thinks he's the one eating healthy.
#30 of 183 Old 07-08-2004, 04:38 PM

My 27 year old cousin lost ALOT of weight on Atkins...he also jump started his kidney disease from it. Grr!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page