substituting applesauce for sugar in recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-01-2002, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 11 mo old is starting to eat more solids and I would like to bake whole wheat banana bread, whole wheat pancakes, etc but don't want all the sugar that my recipes call for. Does anyone know the exact exchange for using applesauce instead of sugar? Thanks a bunch!
#2 of 5 Old 07-02-2002, 12:07 AM

someone will know...my only caution, proceed carefully. A friend once brought apple-sauce sweetened scones to an event...and everyone found them very , ah, "cleansing".
#3 of 5 Old 07-02-2002, 12:33 AM

I'm familiar with substituting applesauce for fat in recipes, but not for sugar. I think for substituting sugar that thawed apple juice concentrate is the usual substitue.

here are some substitues for white sugar, just remember they can change the texture of baked goods.

if recipe calls for 1 cup white sugar:

1 to 1 1/3 cups barley malt ( a kind of syrup)
1 to 1 1/3 cup brown rice syrup

remember to reduce the amount of liquid in the recipe by 1/4 cup for each 1 cup of either syrup. Both of these are about 1/2 as sweet as white sugar.

I couldn't find a substitue amount for juice concentrate. I have used these syrups with good results.
#4 of 5 Old 07-02-2002, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!
#5 of 5 Old 07-06-2002, 11:12 AM

Hi - One thing you might try is simply putting in a bit less sugar than the recipe suggests. Omitting it entirely might be a problem, but I've cut the sugar in half with no ill effects - and if the flavor isn't right, you can coat with jelly - not particularly a health improvement, but it will preserve your investment of time and ingredients! Also, if honey (not generally recommended for those under one because of infant botulsim) is in the recipe, you might try blackstrap molasses. One good thing about the weanling set - they don't yet know banana bread and pancakes are 'supposed' to be sweet! Good luck.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page