Good Eats with Wheat - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 176 Old 08-26-2006, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah Sarah! My Dh and the boys LOVE it when they get 'quickie' momma pizzas for lunch/dinner....they feel 'spoiled'.

I love hearing when someone makes it and has a success with it. You can do so many things with that dough. It's made 'quickie' buns for 'burger' type foods (we LOVE black bean burgers) and rolls and calzones.

If you ever boil potatoes, SAVE that water and add it to the 'sponge' in place of regular water. You will be amazed by the super fluffy results and taste.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 176 Old 08-30-2006, 02:48 PM

I just made your all-purpose bread, and it turned out wonderfully! I'm new to baking bread, but I've been making sweet dough kuchens and rolls for a few years now. My first few bread attempts were disasters. I read this thread, ran out and bought new yeast, white whole wheat flour, and vital wheat gluten. I suppose it could be those things that helped, but I'm convinced it was your recipe. It just makes a lot more sense to me than the other ones I've tried. People put so much stuff in their bread recipies! This one is nice and basic. It's very similar to the sweet dough I've been making. My grandmother used it for all her kuchens and rolls. I've been looking for a regular dough recipe as versitile as hers, and now I've found it! I'm going to use the other half of the recipe for calzones.

One quick question: could I add a bit of honey to the recipe for a sweeter bread, or will that ruin it?
#153 of 176 Old 08-30-2006, 02:51 PM

Ok, this is a strange question, but can I "save" the potato water in the fridge and use it later? Should I heat it back up? I'm not always ready to start a loaf of bread when I get done boiling potatoes, lol!
#154 of 176 Old 08-30-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelee
Ok, this is a strange question, but can I "save" the potato water in the fridge and use it later? Should I heat it back up? I'm not always ready to start a loaf of bread when I get done boiling potatoes, lol!
: :

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#155 of 176 Old 08-30-2006, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, been sewing diapers all day...here are the answers to last two questions:

Yes, you can add honey (after you've done the sponge). Honey might affect the yeast if you add it too soon, but definitely can add it for 'flavor' and sweetness! (It's especially good after it's baked with gobs of fresh butter! The combination of butter and honey will actually start to 'predigest' the bread and make it even more digestable!)

I have saved my potato water for a few days in the refrigerator, when I knew I'd be making up a batch of dough. After that, it might start 'growing' stuff, even refrigerated...so seal it well. I've never frozen it, but that might be an idea.

I'd go ahead and add it cold to the 'sponge' as it will warm up to room temp while it ferments. I definitely always let it cool before I add in yeast, if you have just made fresh stuff! It is so amazing. If you like this 'all purpose' recipe now, wait util you've had it with potato water!

Thanks again for the compliments. I have been making this bread since I was a little girl (A LONG time ago) and it never fails!
#156 of 176 Old 09-02-2006, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

I finally found a permant solution to posting pictures as my server has a special 'webphoto' place that's free...so here are two picture 'tutorials' for my 'all purpose sourdough' and my 'sprouted wheat tortillas' in picture form. I'll be putting these links on the recipe also, but here they are if you wanted to peek.....warning, the bread pics, with calzones included, might make you hungry!!

Sourdough or Refrigerator dough Bread link:
http://weblife.earthlink.net/photo/P...hcyiy::LO:a6g3

Sprouted Tortilla link:
http://weblife.earthlink.net/photo/P...wybmk::LO:a6g3

Please let me know what you think. I did this late last night and added a few captions....they are meant to work in conjunction with the written instructions on the page with the recipes....

#157 of 176 Old 09-02-2006, 08:50 PM

Wow, Heather! That looks great! Thanks for all the time you take to write/demonstrate all these recipes!

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#158 of 176 Old 09-02-2006, 09:04 PM

I made the pizza dough today. It was great and super easy. Does anyone have any ideas for a breakfast pizza using this dough? Maybe something with fruit?

mama to 4 boys, 2 kitties and 42 chickens
#159 of 176 Old 09-02-2006, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

I've spread refried beans on the dough, then a layer of 'slightly cooked' scrambled eggs, shredded cheddar and some left over green chili and baked for the typical 9-10 minutes *using a hot pizza stone* in a 450 deg F oven. Turned out GREAT, like huevos rancheros pizza. I've done just 'soft set' scrambled eggs and shredded cheddar too, with chopped ham/bacon and then baked it on the 'fast cook' as above.

I've used softened, spread cream cheese for the 'base' and topped with pinapple and ham...you might skip the ham and try pinapple and maybe kiwi slices or something that can take the heat.

I've seen 'dessert' pizza where they use sweetened cream cheese, strawberries, kiwis and pinapple, then drizzle it with chocolate sauce hot from the oven. Not tried this...as the crust usually is made from brownie dough...

I've used bar b q pork on a 'lightly sauced' pizza with cheddar. That's good...not really for breakfast, but hey, I made pizza last night and we ate the left overs for breakfast. I had tomatoe slices and cheddar on it...was GREAT.

Happy Experimenting!

I should have taken pics last night of the pizzas, but my battery is going out on my camera!
#160 of 176 Old 09-03-2006, 11:55 AM

Heather-I made the pizza dough starter yesterday and this am it still looks kinda flat. What is it supposed to look like when ready for next step? I just want to make sure my yeast was working before I proceed. TIA

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#161 of 176 Old 09-03-2006, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom
Heather-I made the pizza dough starter yesterday and this am it still looks kinda flat. What is it supposed to look like when ready for next step? I just want to make sure my yeast was working before I proceed. TIA

Look at the pictures I posted yet? They are a few posts up, and also in the pages with recipes. The first two pics are of the 'sponge' starter after it's rested about 6 hours....it gets even more bubbly and sometimes forms a 'liquidy' film if you go the full overnight, depending on how warm your kitchen is.

That should give you a good idea...it just needs to be a bit 'bubbly' and soft 'spongy' looking. If it's not much different than when you put it together (water, flour, yeast) then I'd be suspicious of the yeast or something having killed them off during the night (too hot, chlorine in tap water, or they were 'iffy' already).

If you are not sure, do the yeast test I mentioned. If you want, add in a TBS of sugar to the sponge, and cover it lightly, and sit the bowl in the oven with only the light on (or just the pilot light if it's gas). In about 1 hour it should be bubbly and look spongy if the yeast are good and alive.

Keep me updated on how it goes!
#162 of 176 Old 09-04-2006, 01:31 AM

ok, thanks. Just wanted to make sure. I think I am ok. I will let you know how it goes. I really appreciate this post!

#163 of 176 Old 09-04-2006, 05:37 AM

Okay, newbie here. I just got my grain mill on Friday and have made four loaves since then, none of which have risen well. My yeast seems fresh (although expired; it proofs GREAT though) and the first rise definitely does the trick... however when I get the dough in the pans to rise, the dough barely reaches the top of the pan. WHY?? I'm so sad because I need good sandwich bread for DH and I'm so excited about this mill and making our own bread and whatnot... and my bread doesn't rise

Any tips? I read somewhere that I may not be kneading the bread long enough. That thought crossed my mind, but I'm not sure...
#164 of 176 Old 09-04-2006, 10:28 AM

I made breakfast pizza today. Actually, the kids made theirs and I made mine. We each had a small circle of the refrigerator pizza dough which we topped with a cheesecake type mix of cream cheese, egg, honey, banana and vanilla. After it baked we topped our individual pizzas with honey, mango, pineapple, pluot (apricot/plum hybrid), apple and banana. The kids loved them! YUM!

mama to 4 boys, 2 kitties and 42 chickens
#165 of 176 Old 09-04-2006, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereanmama
Okay, newbie here. I just got my grain mill on Friday and have made four loaves since then, none of which have risen well. My yeast seems fresh (although expired; it proofs GREAT though) and the first rise definitely does the trick... however when I get the dough in the pans to rise, the dough barely reaches the top of the pan. WHY?? I'm so sad because I need good sandwich bread for DH and I'm so excited about this mill and making our own bread and whatnot... and my bread doesn't rise

Any tips? I read somewhere that I may not be kneading the bread long enough. That thought crossed my mind, but I'm not sure...
which recipe are you using?

Kneading develops the gluten which helps trap the gasses for the second rising. so more kneading could be called for depending on the recipe/technique you are using.

I really like making 'one rise' bread and slicing it wider, and then down the middle (like splitting open a biscuit), and then putting the filling in the bread and making it more italian hoagie style....so does Dh. It's very tasty stuff!

I have a 'basic wheat bread, no sponge style' recipe a few pages back that might help for making typical 'loaf style' bread.

Also, what grain did you get, spring, winter, white or red wheat and what company is it from. Do you know the protein content?
#166 of 176 Old 09-04-2006, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero
I made breakfast pizza today. Actually, the kids made theirs and I made mine. We each had a small circle of the refrigerator pizza dough which we topped with a cheesecake type mix of cream cheese, egg, honey, banana and vanilla. After it baked we topped our individual pizzas with honey, mango, pineapple, pluot (apricot/plum hybrid), apple and banana. The kids loved them! YUM!
OMG, I love pluots...and those sound DELICIOUS!!! Will have to try that combo, as all the fruits you used are some of my favorites!
#167 of 176 Old 09-04-2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
which recipe are you using?

Kneading develops the gluten which helps trap the gasses for the second rising. so more kneading could be called for depending on the recipe/technique you are using.

I really like making 'one rise' bread and slicing it wider, and then down the middle (like splitting open a biscuit), and then putting the filling in the bread and making it more italian hoagie style....so does Dh. It's very tasty stuff!

I have a 'basic wheat bread, no sponge style' recipe a few pages back that might help for making typical 'loaf style' bread.

Also, what grain did you get, spring, winter, white or red wheat and what company is it from. Do you know the protein content?
Well, perhaps I didn't knead long enough after the first rise. I sure would love to do just one rise though. Save on time... I'll try your recipe either tonight or tomorrow. I'll probably do some Ezekiel bread tonight...

I use Hard Red Wheat that I buy in bulk from my local Henry's (Wild Oats) market. I don't know the protein content though.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help
#168 of 176 Old 09-12-2006, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

OK, here is a 'variation' on my 'Sin Cookies'...I think you'll like. You do need Chia Seeds for it though!

Heather’s Chocolate Chip ‘Sin Cookies’ with Chia Seed Gel

2 1/2 cups Organic whole wheat flour or organic all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups Organic Whole Sugar (ie, Rapadura)
3 tsp organic vanilla extract
1 cup (2 sticks) Organic butter or virgin or expeller pressed coconut oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
2 large eggs (free range if possible)
2 cups (12 oz bag) Mini 'semi sweet' Chocolate Chips or organic brand you like

Optional: 1/3 cup Chia Seed Gel* (pre made and allowed to absorb water over night)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

Soften butter (or coconut oil to room temp), add Rapadura sugar and mix with spoon/beater until it's incorporated as best as you can get it (it won't be smooth like with white sugar). I then add the vanilla extract, salt and stir gently at first, to let it soak in. I keep 'beating' it with my mixing spoon/beater until it gets smooth (the extract breaks down the sugar and it mixes better at this point.)

Then add eggs and keep mixing until it's smooth again. At this point, I add in the Chia Seed Gel if using. Mix to incorporate and then add in the baking soda and slowly add in flour a 1/2 cup full at a time. Mix until incorporated and after each flour addition. I then add in the chocolate chips and stir to coat them.

Drop by heaping teaspoon full sized bits on an ungreased cookie sheet (bake pan), leaving an inch or so in between each cookie.
Bake at 375 for 9-10 minutes. (slightly less if you want a really chewy cookie and slightly longer for 'crisp' cookies. I try to get these off the pan asap, onto a cooling rack. They will be very soft, but set up almost 'perfectly' in a few minutes.

I layer a large tupperware container with some paper towels. I lay a flat layer of cookies, once cooled. Then another layer of paper towels, and then another layer of cookies and repeat until all are stacked this way. I close the container and unless the kid finds it, they will last over a week (at room temp) and still be soft and yummy!

*Chia Seed Gel: Mix 1/3 cup chia seeds in 2 cups water. Whisk as you are mixing the two. Let sit a minute or two, then whisk again. Once they seeds start looking 'hydrated', you can put a lid on the jar and refrigerate over night. This will make up extra gel than you need for the above recipe, but you should be eating a spoonful daily anyway...

Chia Nutritional Profile:
Chia seeds are easily digested and the Omega 3/6 oils are absorbed whether they are ground or not, unlike flax seeds. They are an awesome ‘super food’.

Chia Seed Nutritional Profile:

Vitamins A, B**, C and E
Calcium, Boron, Iron, Magnesium, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium
All Essential Amino Acids – It’s a Complete Protein source
Vegan source of Omega 3 and 6 in perfect ratio (no worry of fish contaminated with mercury)
Loaded with Antioxidants that keep the seeds fresh for up to 5 years at room temp.
Protein content: 20-25% (that’s twice any grain)

Note on Vitamin B** content:
Two ounces (about 1/3 cup) contains
2% B-2 (riboflavin)
13% niacin
29% Thiamin (a sparkplug for metabolizing carbohydrates and for energy)
Trace amounts of all the other B vitamins

3.5 ounces of chia (100 grams) compared to 100 grams of milk, has over 5 times the calcium, at 600 grams calcium in the chia, compared to 120 grams in the milk. Plus, the trace mineral boron helps it be super absorbed!
#169 of 176 Old 09-12-2006, 06:01 PM

Where can you get chia seeds, I've never heard of them, unless they are the same as:

Cha, cha, cha CHIA!!
#170 of 176 Old 09-12-2006, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hehe, yes, same seeds, but you want food grade, not the 'chia pet' kind that are probably treated with something...

You can order them online (I know that the 'Grain and Salt Society' has them all the time now) or try your local health food store.

I buy them in bulk to save $$ in the long run. They really rock! I just LOVE LOVE LOVE them as they really have helped with this pregnancy (Nausea, leg cramps, heartburn) and are totally good for you too (baby and mom).

You can google 'chia seeds' and will probably get alot of companies carrying them now. I know my local health food store sells them in little packages, the price per pound is alot, but you only need about 1/3 cup to start making the gel, and it'll last you weeks in the refrigerator if you using just a TBS a day of the gel for health reasons, and the occasional 'cookie' baking...bread baking...etc.

Here are some links:

For a small quantity (a pound or two) this site is good, plus it has a lot of Nourishing Traditions and culturing type stuff:
http://www.celticseasalt.com/Chia_Seeds_C84.cfm

These sites has good bulk prices if buying in large quantities:
http://www.a-tlc.net/chia.html

http://www.chiaseedandoil.com/chiaca...c9df85fa8ec613
#171 of 176 Old 09-12-2006, 10:50 PM

There are also several retailers on eBay carrying chia seeds, which is where I got mine. Usually, they will only list 1lb per listing but you can send them a message and get them to list more since they will usually combine shipping charges. Make sure you look at the store listings at the bottom in addition to the auctions.
#172 of 176 Old 09-13-2006, 10:37 AM

I just had to post to say we tried the pizza dough recipe and it was heavenly! Dh actually requested the next day, so the dough only lasted 2 days. That is by the best dough recipe I have tried. It was right up there with our favorite thin crust pizza and really was easy and especially quick to do once the dough balls were done.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#173 of 176 Old 10-05-2006, 02:53 PM

bumping up for me......

#174 of 176 Old 11-29-2007, 04:28 PM

subscribing
#175 of 176 Old 08-29-2008, 02:30 PM

subbing
#176 of 176 Old 11-23-2008, 01:49 AM