Good Eats with Wheat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 176 Old 07-18-2004, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is my most asked for Recipe: (I know this is LONG, but if you've never made it before, I tried to explain things as best I could. It's MUCH easier to just watch someone do it the first time.)

Refridgerator Pizza Dough

This is a really versatile recipe, you can make it up in bulk, keep it refridgerated in small portions and have 'instant' dough ready to whip up a pizza using left overs! I also use this dough for calzones, bread, and home made 'hamburger buns'. The Toddler and the DH BEG me to make 'mamma pizza' so I finally just started keeping this dough made up once a week, and it was SO fast to flatten, add toppings, and bake up within 20 minutes or less! Faster than delivery, and better tasting! (Of course, you will need to plan ahead to make up the initial batch - usually I do it on Saturday or Sunday, when I have help with the kids).

In a large NON METAL bowl (or crock), mix:
2 cups whole wheat flour or white, unbleached, all purpose flour (or a mix of each)
2 cups warm water
1 teaspoon of Instant SAF yeast or one little packet (the kind that comes in three little sections)
1 teaspoon of 'Rapadura Brand' Whole Organic Sugar (or honey or regular white sugar)

Stir together with plastic or wood spoon. It will look 'soupy' soft, almost like a lumpy, thick cake batter. This is your 'starter'. Cover bowl/crock with a clean dish towel or plastic wrap (on loose) so 'gasses' can escape. Also, be careful where you sit this, if you use too small a bowl, you might end up with some on your counter top!

You can make this up in morning, leave to sit for a minimum of 4 hours or as long as until the next day! Keep it in a fairly warm place (I sit my crock in the oven overnight, with light on), but mainly just keep it away from drafts. The longer it sits, the more 'sourdough' flavor it gets. I would not recommend leaving it longer than 48 hours, or it might get TOO sour! If you run into a problem, and can't make up the dough the next day, add two more cups of flour and two more cups of water, mix, and it will keep until the following day (it just needs something to 'eat' and convert while you are away).

Ok, so the kids are sleeping and you have some time, 4-24 hours later...
SO, to your initial starter, add:

1 stick of cooled, melted butter, or 1/2 cup olive or grapeseed oil (or oil of choice) I have even forgotten to add ANY oil, and it still turned out edible!
2 teaspoons sea salt - I really recommend this (can use kosher or plain salt if necessary)
Stir with that big wooden (my favorite) or plastic spoon (no metal, it kills yeast) until the very fluffy 'spongey' mixture shrinks and looks coated.

I slowly add in a cup of flour at a time, stirring after each addition until it starts getting HARD to stir/mix. You will probably find that at or near 3 cups of additional flour, you will NOT feel like stirring this anymore! You can use either some more whole wheat flour for this OR I use unbleached white flour; there is actually a good reason to use white flour at this point, strange as that might sound. Since you just soaked the whole wheat to fully hydrate it, increase nutritional value and de-activate any potential 'irritants', you might as well add in unbleached, white flour at this point or it won't have time to 'soak' like the whole wheat did. Plus, white flour almost 'instantly' absorbs moisture and is ready to bake (It's a minor nutritional trade-off at this point).

At this point, I sprinkle about a cup of white flour on a CLEAN counter or wood cutting board. I pour the dough onto the center and lightly knead it with the board flour, adding more if necessary, to form a fairly smooth ball. I do NOT spend alot of time here, maybe 10 minutes. Then I cut the dough into 'baseball' size chunks, roll them into balls, coat in olive or grapeseed oil and put in medium size plastic baggies. Leave some room in the baggies for 'expansion', and LOOSELY tie with a twist tie, or leave 1/2 inch open if using 'zip lock' type bags. I put all that I won't use immediately into the refridgerator. You are DONE. You can use some of the dough immediately to make pizza or wait a few days!

These dough balls will keep at LEAST for a week, and I've gone into the next week with no problems, especially if you are using a low rise recipe, like pizza crust. Just take out a bag or two to 'warm' while you are mixing up sauce and preparing toppings. Preheat your oven and then sprinkle some flour on counter or a wood board, flatten the dough with finger tips, making it into a circle (thick or thin, depending on taste). Occasionally flip your flattened circle in the flour to keep it from being too sticky. Just roll it out enough to start you basic shape, you can flatten it out more once you put it on the pan or pizza peel.

There are two good ways to proceed into making pizza now:

If you are using a 'pizza peel' and a pizza stone, you can set your oven to 500 degrees F and it will bake in about 8-11 minutes! Make sure your pizza stone is in the oven while heating, so it's HOT! This is my favorite way to do pizza.

Sprinkle some white flour on a pizza peel (flat wooden spatula looking thing, about the size of a small to medium pizza). Put the flattened dough circle on center of peel and flatten out some more, almost to edges of peel.
Make sure you don't make a bigger circle than your stone is. Add a few tablespoons sauce (tomato sauce with some garlic salt, basil or oregano is fine pizza sauce), toppings (ALWAYS use pre-cooked meats) I use left over chicken, beef, or pepperonis, shredded cheese of choice (chedder makes a different, but delicious topping).
Shake the peel a little bit back and forth, while holding horizontally, to make sure the pizza isn't sticking. You want to be able to slowly 'slide' it off onto the hot stone while it's still in the oven. You can lift up an edge of the dough and sprinkle a bit more flour if you find it's sticking at all.
Then open oven, and hold the peel over the stone, with front edge of the peel touching the stone; make sure you start 'sliding' the pizza off near the BACK of the stone, so you have room for your pizza! Start making tiny back and forth 'sliding motions' with the peel, and the pizza should slide off onto the stone pretty easily. Move the peel slowly towards you, the whole time making these 'back and forth', kinda jerky motions. With practice, you can slide a 'raw' pizza off onto a stone in about 30 seconds. It's worth learning how to do this! The pizza will puff and start browning FAST with this method. Peek at around 8 minutes, and keep a close eye on it for next few minutes. I find anywhere between 8-11 minutes is just right, depending on how heavily I topped the pizza.
You can slide the peel under the baked pizza very easily and remove it. Let cool a minute, then cut with a round 'pizza roller' cutter.

If you are using a regular 'cookie sheet' to make your pizza on, preheat oven to 400 degrees F, and it will take about 15-20 minutes to bake your pizza.

Again, take flattened pizza circle, and sprinkle some flour on a 'cookie sheet'. Press dough out until it's as thin or think as you like. I then add sauce, toppings, and shredded cheese. Place in preheated oven and start watching it closely at about 15 minutes. Depending on how thick or thin you made your crust, it might take up to 20 minutes. Remove when golden brown. The dough might be 'softer' and not as 'pizzaria' crisp with this method, but it's still great tasting. Let cool for a minute or two and cut into slices.

Sorry this was so long, but enjoy. Once you have dough made up, it REALLY is easy to have it on hand for many uses.

Heather (Xenabyte)

Here is a picture link that should show you what some of the stages are for the dough in general:

http://weblife.earthlink.net/photo/P...hcyiy::LO:a6g3

SaH Momma to Alexander (1/2202), David (2/29/04 LEAP DAY) and happy wife to Trent
#2 of 176 Old 07-18-2004, 06:14 PM

Thanks!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#3 of 176 Old 07-18-2004, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

All you need is a blender, to make these 'fresh ground' whole wheat treats!

Blender Whole Wheat Pancakes

1 cup Whole Wheat Berries (kernals/grain...same thing)
1 1/4 cup water

Put in Blender on high speed and mix for about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Stop Blender and add:

1 egg
1-2 Tablespoons Honey or Rapadura sugar (can use white if you only have that)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 Tablespoons favorite cooking oil or softened butter
1/4 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)

Blend for about 20 more seconds, stop and add:

1 Tablespoon Fresh Baking Powder

Pulse blender to just mix it in. Let mixture stand about 1 minute.

Have a cast iron skillet lightly greased and heated to medium low, or use favorite pan or griddle. Cook these pancakes on a slightly lower setting than you would a 'white flour' pancake. Pour out about 1/4 cup batter, let cook until you see bubble appearing, flip, and cook for about 1 minute more. It may take a few times to get it just perfect, but they are really good! Toddler loves them plain. But good with maple syrup or a little powdered sugar.

If you are really ambitious, try the following 'hearty' sauce topping:

Caramal Pecan Sauce

1 cup unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cup chopped, lightly toasted pecans

Melt butter in a saucepan over lowest heat setting. Add in brown sugar, salt and syrup. Cook about 5-10 minutes. Stir in cream and continue heating for about 5 minutes. (Cook really slow, so it doesn't burn or get excessively sugary). Stir in pecans. You can make sauce ahead and refridgerate/freeze. Just warm before serving. If you need it a bit thinner, just add a bit more cream or half and half.

Enjoy!

Heather (Xenabyte)
#4 of 176 Old 07-18-2004, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

You can make these with whole wheat or white, all purpose unbleached flour. If you can't get really freshly ground whole wheat flour, you might as well use all purpose white flour, IMHO. They are tasty either way, and sometimes I mix up a little of both flours.

Whole Wheat Tortillas

4 cups whole wheat flour (or all purpose white flour or a mix of both)
1 Tablespoon Baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup oil/lard/shortening (I have used olive oil and grapeseed oil with success, personal favorite is coconut oil in solid form)
About 2 cups warm water
About 1/2 cup unbleached, all purpose flour to 'roll' out tortillas

Mix together all the dry ingredients. If 'solid' shortening is used, 'cut' it into dry ingredients (I plop it in center of flour, scoop flour over it, and 'pinch' it into little pieces, continually making sure it gets more flour to cover any exposed shortening.) Once the flour and shortening particles are about the size of rough cornmeal, I turn on warm water at sink, and just add a bit at a time, continually 'squishing the mixture' with CLEAN hands, until it's all moistened and like a wet 'clay'. You can measure out two cups of warm water and pour it in slowly, mixing (still suggest clean hands to do the job, much faster and easier). If you decided to use oil, add the oil to the water to pour into flour. I say two cups of water, but it might be a bit more or less, depending on how much the flour absorbs that day. It'll be a very soft dough. Let it rest 5 minutes, with a damp cloth over the top of the bowl. (This forms the gluten).

Preheat a cast iron skillet or fry pan on medium heat. Do not grease skillet. On a wooden board or counter, sprinkle a bit of the all purpose, white flour. Scoop out enough dough (approx. the size of a golf ball) and put on the flour. Gently roll it in the flour to cover it (makes it easier to handle). Slowly start patting it out into a circle. You might need to sprinkle more flour if dough is too wet....but since you can do this easily, I'd err on the side of too much water when mixing up dough, rather than having a too dry dough.

I usually make mine 'large tostada' or 'soft taco' size (~ 6 to 7 inches in diameter). Bake this on the hot griddle/fry pan for about 1-2 minutes (the underside gets little brown spots. Flip and cook until other side has little brown spots.

Here is the secret: They will appear kinda dry at this point. Stack them on a plate, wrapped in a CLEAN dish towel (Or one of those clean, unused birdseye cloth diapers I KNOW you have around...) By the time you finish the entire stack, they will have self steamed and OMG are they pliable and super yummy!

While one is cooking, you have enough time to roll out a second one, ready for putting on the griddle after the first one is done. With practice, you can make up a good amount of tortillas in a fairly short amount of time.

Wrap any left over tortillas in a plastic bag and you can keep on counter for an additional day or so, or refridgerate and lightly toast or reheat on a warm burner or skillet whenever you need them.

Top with refried beans and or spicy ground beef, lettuce, tomato or salsa, shredded cheese, sour cream and you have a great 'open face' style (tostada style) dinner. You can roll them, but they are usually thicker and it's kinda tricky to do. I bend them in half to make 'soft taco' style sandwiches too.

Heather (Xenabyte)
#5 of 176 Old 07-18-2004, 07:40 PM

Thanks, Heather! I've always wanted to try making my own homemade tortillas, but I've been intimidated. Your directions are great and I've just copied them into a Word file to save so I can try the tortillas sometime soon! Thanks so much!

~Nick
#6 of 176 Old 07-18-2004, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a 'Soaked Flour' Pancake recipe...a bit more work, but supposedly nutritionally superior to unsoaked grain/flour recipes:

Soaked Flour Pancakes

2 cups fresh ground whole wheat, spelt or kamutt flour (or bought and kept in refridgerator to keep it fresh as possible)
2 cups yogurt, buttermilk or kefir, undiluted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons melted butter

Soak your flour in the sour milk product of choice for a minimum of 12 hours, up to 24 hours, in a warm place (I put in glass bowl, cover lightly with a clean cloth (white unused 'flat' cloth diaper works great) and leave in the oven with the oven light on...it's amazingly warm with just the light on!)

[If you have a SEVERE Milk allergy, you can substitute 2 cups filtered water, plus 2 tablespoons whey, lemon juice or vinegar for the sour milk product]

Stir in other ingredients and thin to desired consistancy with more filtered water. Cook on a hot, lightly oiled or greased cast iron skillet or griddle. They cook a bit slower than regular white flour pancakes or even unsoaked whole grain products. So try turning the heat down a bit and cook for a bit longer than you think is 'normal' for making a pancake. The texure is a bit chewier and has a pleasant 'sour' taste. Goes good with stewed apples, maple syrup or just butter.

Instructions for making your own Whey follows in another post.

Heather (Xenabyte)
#7 of 176 Old 07-18-2004, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Whey is a starter 'culture' for lacto-fermented vegetables, fruits, for soaking grains/flour, and as a starter for some beverage making. You will get a home made cream cheese as a by product, which is nutritionally superior to the store bought stuff (which is formed by putting milk under high pressure).

Whey and Cream Cheese

Makes 5 cups whey and 2 cups cream cheese

2 quarts whole, active culture, plain yogurt (or KEFIR) with as little additives as possible (organic brand is best)
strainer and bowl to catch liquid drips
cheesecloth or clean white cloth 'kitchen towel'.
Glass container for cream cheese
Glass container (quart mason jar) for whey

Line a strainer with two or three layers of cheese cloth or the white kitchen to towel. Put over a bowl large enough to catch all drips. Pour in the yogurt. I loosely flip the overhang of cheesecloth or towel on top of yogurt, and once it has dripped for about an hour (just leave at room temp), I then add a small saucer or flat lid and set a can of something on it. This applys even pressure and helps get ALL the whey out. In a few more hours, you should notice no more drips. I pour the whey into a glass mason jar. Label it: WHEY and date it about 6 months later for an expiration date. I put the cream cheese mass in a covered glass bowl, add a pinch of sea salt, stir, and label it: Cream Cheese with an expiration date one month from the day you make it. Refridgerate the cream cheese and whey.

Whey is full of minerals. Supposedly one tablespoon of whey in a little glass of water helps with digestion. It's supposed to help keep muscles 'young', joints more mobile and your ligaments elastic. Taking 1 tablespoon three times a day is supposed to feed the stomach glands and restore optimum function.

Enjoy

Heather (Xenabyte)
#8 of 176 Old 07-18-2004, 11:14 PM

Thanks for posting those. How fine does the flour come out if you grind it in the blender?
#9 of 176 Old 07-19-2004, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

I have ground whole wheat berries in the blender, but I ALWAYS had liquid in it, (whatever the recipe called for) to protect the blender. I think 'dry' grinding would only give you part fine flour and part 'chunks'. The kernals are kinda hard on it, so that's why I use liquid (which also makes it into a fine soupy mixture, with no 'chunks'). I hope that answers your question.

If you can't get access to a regular grinder for making flour for everyday use, just buy it pre-ground (it's a compromise). Just make sure to buy it in small, tightly sealed bags, and refridgerate it immediately, or try to buy it in the refridgerated section of your local 'health food' store.

If your budget can't allow for an electric grinder, there are some pretty reasonable 'hand crank' grinders on the market. I actually set it up for the toddler to 'crank' his own oatmeal or to help make 'flour' for our pizza night; he LOVES helping! He pretends he's making breakfast for me (Of course he's just got just a tiny amount in the grinder) and I use the electric to make it in 'bulk'.

Heather (Xenabyte)
#10 of 176 Old 07-19-2004, 04:17 PM

Can you post that bread recipe you mentioned.
#11 of 176 Old 07-19-2004, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

I'll be posting several more recipes first thing in morning. Spent all day at MIL's house and got home kinda late. TTYL

/hugs
Heather (xenabyte)
#12 of 176 Old 07-20-2004, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Some background on what 'Ezekiel Bread' is based on:
It's a bread recipe based on the verse, Ezekiel 4:9 from the Bible.

NIV Bible, Ezekiel 4:9 "Take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and *spelt; put them in a storage jar and use them to make bread for yourself."

*There are several translations of the Bible, and the only 'questionable' word being, 'fitches' and trying to figure out what grain was represented by it. Fitches (Hebrew word Ketsah) as mentioned in Isa. 28:25,27 does refer to Nigella sativa or 'black cummin'. But in Ezekiel 4:9, the word Fitches (Hebrew word used, Kussemeth) DOES mean spelt. (Though I have added cumin to this bread and it's tasty)

So it seems really pointless to argue what true 'Ezekiel Bread' is composed of (though you know how some folks like to argue about the little details), the point being, take a mixture of grains and legumes and make bread. Because the complimentary proteins and amino acids and such, will form a really nice complete protein (and some carbohydrates) that will sustain you for a year long fast, as in the case of Ezekiel.

One other thing, when I say a 'crock' I am refering to one of those things your grandma, or great-grandma probalby had. (Flea markets and yard sales are great sources to find one) It's a 'pickeling crock, not the plug in, leave food to cook all day things! The one I have was grandma's and has a number '3' on it, and is from Western Stoneware, Inc. I also have my mom's old crock, but it's much smaller and I use it to ferment smaller batches of stuff. You could use a large stoneware or glass bowl, but beware of 'spillage' if you soak it overnight!

Many of the versions you will find online make a 'cakey' type bread. It's good, but I find it goes 'stale' faster. Remember AVOID ADDING SOY FLOUR, if you create you own combination! I would also suggest using my 'soaked or sourdough' version to increase nutritional value, and for neutralizing phytic acids, unless you are using pre-sprouted, dried and ground flours!

Heather's Soaked or 'Soured' Ezekiel Bread

The following list you can play with to suit your tastes. Keep the Wheat/Spelt fairly high, so you still get a 'bread' like result

2 cups Whole Wheat
1 cup Spelt or Rye
1/2 cup Pearled Barley
1/4 cup Lentils green or red or yellow or some of all three (I use green, cause that's what I have at the moment)
1/4 cup Millet
2-3 Tablespoons Pinto Beans
2-3 Tablespoons Great Northern (white navy) Beans
2-3 Tablespoons Red Kidney Beans

The above forms your basic (grain, lentil, bean mix)...however I add when I have it **optional add ins**:

2-3 Tablespoons hulled, raw sunflower seeds
1-2 Tablespoons flax seeds
1-2 Tablespoons Black Beans (cause I just LOVE them)
1/2 Teaspoon cumin or other spices that you like

Ok, most recipes say grind all the above into a fine flour. This is great if you have a grinder, but if you are grinder challenged....try doing this (it's slower, but will work!):

First, RINSE off all your beans and lentils and make sure there are no little bits of rock or dirt in with them (this is what actually got me thinking about how to grind them after they got wet. I was wondering how I was gonna grind WET beans and lentils in my grinder! I didn't feel like taking more time by putting them on a baking sheet and putting in the oven on low, but this is another way to dry them.)

For however much beans and lentils you have, put equal amount of filtered water in blender with them. Start off on low, then turn to high. Let it run for about a minute or two until it seems like a uniform 'soup'.

Some say you can grind pearled barley and millet in blender with no water to make a 'flour' but go ahead and do it with the water (it will eventually need water for your 'starter') AND it is easier on your blender! Do as above with all ingredients, including the wheat berries and spelt. I do the wheat in a batch and the spelt in a batch.

Eventually you will have a 'crock' with either fresh ground flour or your 'blender' mix. If you used equal parts of water, you are ready for next step, if not, just add in the amount of water to equal your fresh ground flour mixture.

**NOTE** The measurements really are flexible here. I usually just measure out how much dry grain/bean/lentils I want, grind it, then add equal amounts of water (cup wise) for the 'starter soak'.

Now I would add about 2-3 teaspoons dry SAF instant yeast per 4 cups of dry ingredients

About 2-3 teaspoons of sea salt (this just happens to be where the taste is agreeable, you can adjust it). Adding it now helps the various grains to ferment and do their thing...

I mix with wooden spoon, with everything in my 'crock'. I cover the crock with clean kitchen towel and let it sit 12-24 hours. (I put the crock in oven with the light on to maintain just about the perfect temp). You can leave at room temperature though.

When ready to make bread, I add anywhere from:

1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil

I start sprinkling in dry 'all purpose, unbleached flour' until it is firm enough to pour out for kneeding.

**Here is a 'cheat'**

Instead of pouring out what is a HUGE lump of dough to break your back kneeding it, I do the following. I sprinkle my SUPER CLEAN counter top with unbleached all purpose flour. I scoop my hand into the crock and pull out a VERY good sized chunk of dough (about softball size). I proceed to kneed THIS small amount of dough.

**Good time to add in raisens or such if you like them**

I also set out a small bowl with some olive oil. After kneeding the dough smooth, I dip and roll to cover with olive oil in the little bowl. I then put dough in a baggie and set to the side or put it straight into a 'bread pan'. I proceed until all my crock dough is formed into these handy little baggies of dough, or into all my bread pans. I also do 'free form' shapes and make 'peasant loaves'.

Let the dough in the bread pans rise in a warm place, covered with a clean kitchen towel until about double in bulk. Make sure when you put the dough in the pan, it's less than half the pan size (easy way to use a variety of pans). Refriderate any 'baggie dough balls' for later use. Keeps up to a week or so.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake each loaf for 30-40 minutes (if using traditional 'bread pan'. I usually bake 30 minutes when I just have dough sitting on a 'baking sheet' and it's 'peasant' style 'round shape'. You might need to bake longer or shorter. I am at 7000+ feet elevation and I've NEVER had a batch not rise well!

This bread is lighter than many 'whole grain' recipes. It keeps well if you let it completely cool, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap or even tin foil. I freeze some, refridgerate a loaf for 'quick' reheating, and keep a loaf or two on counter that same day for 'quick' eating. This is the bread my toddler (2.5 years old) ate an entire loaf of, with some honey and butter!

Hope you enjoy this recipe. It only took me 3 hours to write it (between toddler and baby 'melt downs'

/hugs and good eats

Heather (xenabyte)

EDITED NOTE ON FREEZING: Yes, it freezes WONDERFULLY! Just wrap tightly in plastic (I buy bulk freezer bags in the 'canning' section). I bag loaf, insert a straw, 'suck out air', then quickly spin bag to seal it. Then I double bag it, and spin and tie off with twisty. Just leave on counter top to let it come to room temp. It will be amazingly still moist and yummy. You can toast it lightly after slicing it, and it is almost like fresh from oven!
#13 of 176 Old 07-20-2004, 03:35 PM

Heather, thank you thank you!!!
I have saved all the recipes/instructions you have given on my computer. When you have some more spare time (hahaha what's that) can you post a soaked flour cookie recipe (any kind really but we love choc. chip).

I was going to ask if the bread froze well I'm glad it does. When we buy Ezekiel from the store it's frozen.

P.S. my son got his first tooth at 4months, second tooth quickly followed. He teethed on me some, ouch.

#14 of 176 Old 07-20-2004, 04:10 PM

Oh, you just made my life soooo much easier... thank you soooo much!

Steph )
#15 of 176 Old 07-20-2004, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Sheacoby!

Ok, this is so WIERD, I was JUST thinking about posting my super top secret (or so I tell my friends and hubby), toddler approved, begged for by friends, chocolate chip cookie recipe! (Toddler is actually begging for them, we ran out of them a few days ago). My hubby thinks I should sell this recipe, but I love sharing, and hey, it's somewhat healthy and MUCH healthier than most ANYTHING you get at a store!

It's not 'soaked' but since you are eating only one or two at a time (ok, who am I trying to kid), I figure it was nutritionally ok to just use the fresh ground whole wheat flour. Rice and millet have low phytic acid content, but I've not tried using that for my 'wheat' flour as a substitution (I dreaded wasting a bag of chocolate chips trying).

I will think about converting it to a 'soaked' recipe. That might take some work, as most cookie recipes don't have lots of water in them, and it could make a gooey mess. MMMmmmm....you got me thinking again!

Here is my 'Sin Cookie' (as my friends call them) Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe, as it currently stands. Not totally organic (Cause of the chips, but you can buy organic chocolate if you search around. I do when I have the money and energy to go looking for it!)

SIN COOKIES - Recipe by Heather Timmons 7/20/2004

2 1/2 cups fresh ground Organic whole wheat flour* (I grind on finest setting of grinder and then I even 'sift' it through a sieve, to make sure it has no 'lumps' or course bits.)
1 1/2 cups Organic Whole Sugar (Rapadura) (It's LOADED with vitamins and minerals that are removed in standard white sugar)
3 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup (2 sticks) Organic butter**
1 teaspoon sea salt (again, loaded with nutrients not in regular salt)
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
2 large eggs (free range if possible)
2 cups (12 oz bag) Mini 'semi sweet' Chocolate Chips, Organic if you can get them!

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

Soften butter, add Rapadura sugar and mix with spoon until it's incorporated as best as you can get it (it won't be smooth like with white sugar). I then vanilla extract, salt and stir gently at first, to let it soak in. I keep 'beating' it with my mixing spoon until it gets smooth (the extract breaks down the sugar and it mixes better at this point.)

Then add eggs and keep mixing until it's smooth again. Add in baking soda and slowly add in flour a 1/2 cup full at a time. Mix until incorporated and after each flour addition. I then add in the chocolate chips and stir to coat them (some stick out and 'volunteer' for quality control taste testing..hehe).

Drop by heaping teaspoon full sized bits on an ungreased cookie sheet (bake pan), leaving an inch or so in between each cookie. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. (slightly less if you want a really chewy cookie and slightly longer for 'crisp' cookies. I try to get these off the pan asap, onto a cooling rack. They will be very soft, but set up almost 'perfectly' in a few minutes.

I layer a large tupperware container with some paper towels. I lay a flat layer of cookies, once cooled. Then another layer of papertowels, and then another layer of cookies and repeat until all are stacked this way. I close the container and unless the kid finds it, they will last over a week (at room temp) and still be soft and yummy!

*If you don't want to use whole wheat flour, try mixing half and half with unbleached all purpose flour. You can make them with 100% unbleached flour, but they are more nutritious with some whole wheat in them. In the case of potentially rancid whole wheat, I would just assume use white than risk it.

**If you absolutely refuse to use butter, use Virgin Coconut Oil, as it's solid like a 'shortening', without all the nasty trans fats! Plus it gives the cookies an interesting flavor!

Enjoy, and try not to eat too many, but if you do, know they are better than the crap they sell in the stores! I find if I have a 'batch' made and on hand, I will snack on one every now and then, and not be tempted to eat less healthy stuff.

If these don't turn out absolutely perfect, let me know, the recipe might need some 'tweeking' for your altitude and or depending upon what flour you use.

Heather (Xenabyte)
#16 of 176 Old 07-20-2004, 04:47 PM

Heather, that recipe is similiar to my choc.chip cookie recipe (yours is healthier). I use store bought whole wheat pastry flour and some unbleached white flour. Organic sugar/plus some blk. strap molasses and no eggs. Everything else is the same as your recipe. Everyone who has had mine say they are the BEST!
If you ever try them w/ soaked flour let me know how they turn out!

#17 of 176 Old 07-20-2004, 05:06 PM

yeah, i use wh wt pastry flour (and palm, not coconut, when i am avoiding butter; coconut oil is liquid in my climate.) sometimes i use oat flour in them & then they are like that so-called $200 or whatever urban legend cookie. (is that archived here? how far do they go back? i don't *think* it was pre-crash... well dang it, maybe it was. tain't there. ah well. they lost my best choc chip cookie in the world recipe *sniff* that's ok.) but otherwise darned similar (ps mrs field's says one of her secrets is a T of vanilla per batch! it's good that way!)

thank you for such a slew of good recipes! i can't wait to try the wh wheat tortillas... i have to say tho', i have gone from making tortillas about once every 6 months to twice a week since i got my tortilla press; it's rival, i think, & about 12 bucks at big lots. i was going to get a traditional press but this is so EASY (and beyond comparing trying to shape by hand- work with masa much? *shudder*) i love my cast iron pan, but for tortillas, i'm glad i have this thing!

i want a grinder! i burned out my processor trying to make ezekial bread!

suse
#18 of 176 Old 07-20-2004, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

OK...did some thinking and some research really quick and then though, gee, why don't the grocery stores sell us flour like this : It's a bit time consuming to get your 'batch' made, but once you have it, it WOULD make 'quick breads and such' much faster!

QUICK COOK, SPROUTED/SOAKED FLOUR

Need:

Several quart sized, wide mouth mason jars and the metal ring lids.

Cut squares or circles big enough to fit over top of mason jars, with overhang, out of a VERY CLEAN old pair of nylon stockings (It's not like I wear those things anymore anyway). Or some kinda of mesh like material to allow for air flow, but that you can drain water through, and NOT lose your sprouts down the drain! "Window screen material from the local hardware store has been suggested too, it does get rained on and doesn't rust."

Grain or seeds of choice (whole wheat berries, in this case)

Fill mason jar 1/4 to 1/3 full with grain or seeds of choice. Fill to top with filtered water. Put 'screen' material of choice on top, seal with the metal ring of the lid, so it holds screening material tightly. Soak overnight without draining.

Next morning, drain jar (with lid on) and rinse the seeds/grain well.
Invert jar at an angle so water continues to drain out and air can circulate. (Perhaps line a cookie sheet with a towel, roll up a towel along one 'long' side, lay jars on rolled towel to keep jar proped up to drain. This entire assembly then can be moved into a dark cupboard or left on counter-top.)

Rinse several times a day, at least twice. In a few days, 3-4 for Wheat, Rye or Barley, depending upon grain or seed, you should see small sprouts (don't let get bigger than 1/4 inch). At this point, rinse well, replace lid with solid insert, and refridgerate for use.

OR To continue on our 'quick use' sprouted flour quest...

Drain your sprouted wheat well. Spread on a cookie sheet and set in oven overnight with light on, keep temp under 150 degrees F. Perhaps line a dehydrator with sprouts and do the same thing? You want them to dry out very good, not 'cook' per say. Once you are sure they are very dry (perhaps nibble one). Put in grinder, blender or processor and process into a fine 'flour.'
(I have not done this yet, it's all theory at this point. I've never tried to grind 'dried' sprouts in my Grain Master Grinder.) I think I'd risk a whirl in the blender or food processor first...

Store your freshly made, sprouted/soaked flour in a tightly closed container in the refridgerator or freeze it for long term use. Now you have 'FAST FOOD' healthy flour ready to go!! MMM, maybe a new WaHM business opportunity? Make it, chill it, ship it overnight in cold pack containers? (You heard it here first )

Ok, with the other organic ingredients available, you now have access to making really healthy cookies, cakes and such!!

[I keep driving by a little 'cottage' looking house that was converted into a bakery that is for SALE and it makes me wonder if folks would buy ready made food like this...don't think I could afford to buy a place like that though!]

TTYL...have some more thinking and experimenting to do!

Heather (Xenabyte)

Sheacoby, does this satisfy your need for soaked cookie recipe? Kinda a PITA to do it all, but think in bulk, and make ahead the hard parts! At least you could alter ANY cookie recipe using a whole grain flour now.
#19 of 176 Old 07-20-2004, 06:14 PM

Heather, yeah that does it! Thank you again. Doing grains like this is a long ( hopefully not too long) term goal of mine. You have helped me a lot!!

~Heather

#20 of 176 Old 07-20-2004, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Ack Suseyblue, did you burn out your processor making the recipe for Ezekiel bread I posted!?

We had a thought, (on another thread) if you wanted to make it without a grinder (and now without a food processor, it would seem so sorry to hear that!).

Soak all grains and beans overnight, cook on low till all is soft, then 'mush it up' (maybe use a cheapy stick blender or a normal blender), then return to a large crock or bowl, add your sea salt and yeast and let 'sour soak' overnight. Then add oil and more flour next day, shape loaves and make your bread. Just another thought and another way to try to get around the lack of having a grain grinder

Heather (Xenabyte)
#21 of 176 Old 07-20-2004, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a soaked oatmeal recipe. Hehe, Don't grind oat groats in a grinder and try this, I made the strangest MUSH with it by soaking over-ground oats!

Soaked Oatmeal

1 cup oats, rolled or cracked
1 cup warm filtered water and 2 tablespoons whey or 2 tablespoons yogurt
1/2 teas sea salt (to taste)
1 cup filtered water

Soak oats overnight with 1 cup warm water and either whey or yogurt. Leave in a warm place, covered. (Again, suggest oven with light on). Make sure they soak at least 8 hours and as long as 24 (leaves you with a nice big window of 'use' opportunity).

When ready to cook and eat, bring 1 cup water and sea salt to boil. Add your soaked oats, turn heat to LOW, and cover and simmer for a few minutes. (This is a good time to add raisens or dates, etc. ) Remove from heat and let stand a few minutes. Add butter, cream, Rapadura (honey etc) or even some organic apple sauce. My toddler loves a dollop of fresh vanilla, whole milk yogurt!

Enjoy!

Heather (Xenabyte)
#22 of 176 Old 07-20-2004, 07:03 PM

Do you make your own pizza sauce, too? We haven't found a recipe that both DH and I like.
#23 of 176 Old 07-20-2004, 07:05 PM

naw, naw, i was experimenting awhile ago (see the old 'nt' thread) before your 'zeke bread thread- mea culpa, not yours

i forgot to mention- at beer & ale supply houses, you can buy malted (sprouted, is all 'malted' means, and kiln dried i think) barley & sometimes wheat berries, & at my international mkt (in the korean aisle) they had *ground* malted barley. it's not a solution, but may be of some value for experimenting or when you are in a hurry.

suse
#24 of 176 Old 07-20-2004, 08:02 PM

Awesome, thank you. I buy this bread constantly. It's my favorite.

Am I understanding correctly that you DON'T have to soak the flour over night? I know it's better for you, but I'm impatient about trying a batch out.
#25 of 176 Old 07-20-2004, 08:14 PM

Uhhh, would I do this in the dry or wet vitamix container?
#26 of 176 Old 07-20-2004, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

If you are grinding dry ingredients, use dry container (though I've never used a 'dry' vitamix container to grind anything).
If grinding wet stuff, use regular blender or the 'wet' container. Do in small batches and make sure you have enough liquid to 'cushion' your blades and protect them!
This is an option to using a real grain grinder.

If you want, try the Ezekiel bread recipe without soaking. It's better to at least 'sourdough' soak it for a few hours, if you can. But I first made it without soaking, just to taste it. It was ok. I like it better soaked overnight, though.

If you make up a batch of 'Sprouted/Dried/Ground wheat/spelt grain' THEN you would not need to presoak flour for making whatever recipe you wanted to use that called for 'whole wheat flour'. It will just take a few days to make up a batch of that kind of flour. It's kinda a short cut for making your breads and such faster, but you still need the initial investment of time to get this made to freeze or refridgerate!

(Doing that (sprout/dry/grind/sell it) on a large scale is what I meant by a potential 'WHAM' business and hearing it here (this website) first, hehe...I was half tired and being screamed at by a toddler having a melt down, so kinda didn't make it clear. Sorry I figure this has been done THOUSANDS of times already, somewhere in time!)

Did I miss any questions? OH the Pizza Sauce:

I usually just open a can of tomato paste and 'spice' it up when I'm in a hurry. I dilute it with a bit of water and add, garlic (powder, fresh if I have it, or garlic salt). I add sea salt, some oregano and leave out fennel, as it gives it a sweet taste I don't like. I usually add in some fine red pepper flakes or something on the hot side. The tomato pastes come in flavored varieties now too, so you might like one of those as is. A fresh pesto sauce is good on it, but I never seem to have pine nuts around to make it, or large quantities of basil. I am growing some to see if I like it fresh on pizza

Back when I had the time/money/ and no kids, I used to make up a 'long cook' batch of sauce to freeze. I have the recipe somewhere. I will look for it. I also created a white pizza sauce to do with artichokes and chicken that rocks! But I need to find my note card on that one.

Hope that answers the questions. Gonna go make dinner and check on the 'experiments'

TTYL

Heather (Xenabyte)

P.S. Suse, like the idea of some malted barley and or wheat to experiment with! You think it's from organic grain source? Still worth trying Thanks for the new idea
#27 of 176 Old 07-20-2004, 09:05 PM

I guess I'll have to experiment. It seems like the dry container would be better to grind the grains for the bread, but I don't know what would happen with the liquid in there. I'm not sure grain w/ water counts as something wet to blend.
#28 of 176 Old 07-20-2004, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Lidsey,

I assume you have a vitamix blender and have both the dry and wet containers? Do you still have the instruction booklet?

I personally don't have a 'dry blend' container, so I've not done it before. I would think that if that's what they made it for, you could do small batches of the grains, beans and lentils and make up all your 'flour's', then just add equal amounts of water with this flour to your overnight 'soaking' container.

I DO KNOW, that you can grind each of these grains, beans and lentils with an equal amount of water (ie, one cup wheat berries, one cup water) in the normal wet container of your blender. I've been doing it for some time now, with NO problems.

If you would like, I can look up one of the 'no soak' Ezekiel bread recipes that I do have a copy of, but there are LOTS of those type recipes on the net already. I don't mind though You will still have to find a way and method you like to grind your flours, though!

Grinding your grains and beans in a 'special flour mill' is always going to be the number one and best option, IMHO. I only suggested using your blender because one day I was curious and tried some doing some wet beans in it, after I'd rinsed them off.

If you are worried, you could buy pre-ground flour and used canned beans. Yet another option if you are worried about breaking you blender. I know those vitamix's aren EXPENSIVE!

I will look up an online manual for one, and see what they suggest about the 'dry' container and grinding grains. I seem to remember a demo where they did grind dry grains with no problem.

Good luck in your experiments.....muhahhahah

Heather (Xenabyte)
#29 of 176 Old 07-21-2004, 01:14 AM

Thanks for offering to look it up. I just ground the grain in the dry container with no water. There were no problems. That's what it's made for. The book says just don't let it run more than 2 min at a time.

It was so late by the time I got the ingredients that I don't want to bake tonight anyway. So, my stuff is soaking for tomorrow. I found a no soak recipe online that looks good if I want to try something else another time. It is pretty much the same recipe as yours except it has some honey in it.

I'm really not to worried about the vitamix. They'll replace anything. I just wanted to do whatever would grind the best. From what I can tell, what I just ground looked almost like the preground stuff I buy in the store.

I think I'll be asking for a grain mill for x-mas. What kind do you have?

I love this kind of bread and buy it all the time. I bought enough ingredients for 2 batches of the recipe you posted and it cost the same as when I buy one loaf of bread! I can't wait for tomorrow. Thanks again. I'll post how it turns out.
#30 of 176 Old 07-21-2004, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Lidsey,

Just hope you read this before you start whipping up your loaves of bread...hehe...

I might need to go edit and clarify that recipe a bit at the bottom.

There will be sufficient dough to make at least 3 loaves maybe 4 PER BATCH, depending upon what loaf pans you use, or if you do it 'free form'. I easily got 3 loaves with the no soak, online versions out there. You definitely will have enough loaves to freeze or refridgerate some for having it 'on hand'.

Since most of the online, no soak, 'cakelike' versions easily make 3 'standard bread loaf pans', I wanted to keep the basic recipe close to the other versions, for comparison reasons (I actually have played with various 'add ins'). It really will take on a different 'texture' and flavor, compared to the no soak, 'cakelike' versions AND by soaking, and then adding in additional flour to make it into a 'traditional' kneeded bread, heck, you might be able to get 4-5 or even 6 loaves!! The soaked, raised version puffs more, so make sure you don't over fill your pans!!

I'm glad your dry container worked! I have a Grain Master. I love it, but it doesn't do 'flaked or rolled' grains :

So I usually have to use my little, 'emergency' hand grinder, and set it to a 'loose' setting. There are grain grinders that have special attachements so you could flake your own oatmeal (or a variety of grains) from 'oat groats' and it would be super fresh and yummy! I will see if I can find the link to the one I was drooling over, however the DH will tan my hide if I say I want one, since the Grain Master cost a pretty penny, at least back in 1999 it did!

Cheers, and good experimenting!

Heather (Xenabyte)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page