Wheat Germ...to toast or not to toast? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2004, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I usually buy toasted wheat germ to add to my morning oatmeal and various other baked goods. When I was doing my grocery shopping I noticed that raw wheat germ was much less expensive. Is it interchangeable with toasted wheat germ, or should I go ahead and toast the raw wheat germ to make it taste the same? I assume I can just toast it in a dry skillet, right? Does toasting change the nutritional value?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2004, 01:04 AM

Toasting does change its nutritional value, but only minimally as long as it's not TOO toasted. I think the toasted kind you buy at the health food store is just fine.

The reason for toasting it is that it tastes better. Also, raw wheat germ is prone to rancidity so you have to be more careful. I read in Laurel's Kitchen that it's best to get wheat germ that is toasted where it is milled, to ensure freshness.

I have bought raw wheat germ and toasted it myself. Yes you can do it in a skillet on the stove, or on a tray in a toaster oven. Toast at 300 degrees and watch very carefully and stir frequently - it burns fast! This is why I prefer to buy the toasted kind.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

I may try toasting a little and see how it comes out. The raw is about half the cost of the toasted, so I don't have alot to lose by trying to toast it on my own. Thanks!

User Tag List