Conflicting stories - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-07-2002, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My husband sent me a link yesterday from the NY Times that gives credence to the Atkins diet plan. What If It's All Been a Big Fat Lie. I believe this was posted in the Mercola Vegetarian Myth thread as well.

Then I launched my web browser only to see that Time is running a story called Should We All Be Vegetarians. I haven't read it yet, so I don't know what the upshot of the story is.

Sheesh! I'm really confused by everything so I should just keep researching before making any changes, but since becoming pregnant I never know what I'm going to want to eat anyway, so it is even harder to plan meals. Vegetarianism seems to go out the window.

My husband is doing Atkins and bought a rotisserie chicken for his meal today (for some reason he only eats once a day). He wasn't happy with it, so was going to throw a lot of it away once he was done, but I ended up eating the breast and part of the thigh that was left. I try to eat a mostly vegetarian diet, but I eat fish and dairy sometimes. Lately with pregnancy, I've been craving chicken of all things--it was one of the things I had a taste aversion to during my last pregnancy--but this time I want it.
#2 of 5 Old 07-09-2002, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you looked at the book Eat Right for Your Type? It attempts to tackle this question. I'm not sure if I agree with the premise, but in your situation you may find it useful. I avoid meat for ethical reasons, so even though O blood types are supposed to be the meat eaters, I really don't feel comfortable accepting that. Good luck.

Lisa
#3 of 5 Old 07-10-2002, 12:17 PM

In my experience you can find written support for any diet. I try to read material from credible sources as much as possible.

I don't trust the tv news that much since a lot of their stories come from press releases that are given to them by the companies promoting the "news." I like to read books written by people who got the results I want to have.

And so it was when I went vegan. I was a happy meat eater, and I was a happy vegetarian. But when I decided to try being vegan for 30 days to see how I felt... wow... what a difference. After feeling so good I couldn't imagine going back to eating meat or dairy products.

So, for me, it didn't matter what anyone wrote. I could see the differences in my body and how I felt. I don't need a book or an expert to tell me that veganism is the way to go for me.

When I went vegan, the following all happened to me:
I lost 20 pounds easily
My cholesterol went from 293 to 253
My triglycerides went from 390 to 144
I stopped having stomach problems of any kind
My carpal tunnel syndrome went away completely
My skin cleared up and remains clear
My nails and hair got stronger
I stopped having headaches all the time
My allergies all but disappeared

After all that, the thought of putting dairy products in my system was abhorrent to me.

Okay, this got longer than I intended. But the point is... experiment and do what's right for you. If you feel best eating meat, do it. If you feel better being vegetarian, do that. Try being vegan. You may be really surprised (as I was) with the results.
#4 of 5 Old 07-17-2002, 12:24 AM

I have seem many friends being transformed by the blood type diet, I was doing it mostly anyways but by cutting out a few more things that are harmfull made all the difference.
I believe the Atkins diet works by starving your body of some essential nutrients, so it works somewhat but I believe will make you miserable at some point...
At the health food store where I worked noone believed the Atkins diet and I believed from the beginning that it was one BIG FAT LIE.
#5 of 5 Old 07-17-2002, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
well, i just finished reading both those stories simultaneously (2 tabs open in my browser) and i don't think they're necessarily in conflict. the NYT one is more about fat than meat and about limiting refined carbs. i'm not _really_ vegetarian. we do eat quite a bit of salmon, but will probably curtail that later when dd (16mo) is older. i pretty much let her lead. she doesn't like milk or ice cream or yogurt, but looooooves butter -- straight no chaser, and like cheese pretty much, too. we don't do red meat. had a chicken pot pie for lunch yesterday (first chicken in a long time) but dd wasn't interested in the meat at all. who knows. coulda just been the way she was feeling that day, but it doesn't make me want to run out and buy a big old fryer.

it's late. i'm rambling.

what i really wanted to say was i think a whole foods diet is what we should strive for whether we're carnivores or vegans or somewhere in between. too much processed junk is just junk. i am completely guilty of eating out of boxes frequently, but i do aim for whole grains. i do too much sugar, but have pretty much tapered off sodas and just have a glass of calcium fortified oj once or twice a day. otherwise it's pretty much water to drink. now ice cream and chocolate are another story...

thanks for the links. i'd heard or caught the headlines of both those stories, but hadn't read them yet. both interesting reads. makes me think i need to do better on my aiming for whole foods (not the grocery store, either).

-beanma.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page