Traditional Foods (NT) Mamas - August Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 192 Old 08-25-2004, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suseyblue
where am i missing the coconut/eggplant joke?
just silliness, GaleForce started it with her "Too bad you can't get animal fats from an eggplant" comment. So then xenabyte was seeing the humor in trying to get an animal food from an egg plant, added to it by saying you can get breastmilk from a coconut (high in lauric acid) which also looks somewhat breast-like, then I tried hard with my fishy flax oil comment which I'm not sure if anyone got. I think we're all drunk on kefir here. :
#62 of 192 Old 08-26-2004, 05:00 AM

Hello, everyone.
I'm new to the Nt diet and am trying to ease my family into it. I am no where near ready to start fermenting, but we have been getting better milk and butter, and soaking nuts, seeds, and grains. People seem to have a lot of knowledge and experience on this site, so I hope I'll be able to get some of my questions answered.

We live in Scotland, where the traditional diet is closer to NT than the American diet of the 70's and 80's that I grew up with. For instance, adults drink whole milk here, slather butter on everything, and eat the fat off their lamb chops. Scotland also has the highest rate of heart disease in the world, though...

Despite that, I'm off to dry some seeds. I can't get my oven below around 200 degrees, though, and wonder if this is detrimental to nuts and seeds. Does anyone have any suggestions?
#63 of 192 Old 08-26-2004, 10:55 PM

Hi Catarina! Welcome!

If the people in Scotland are doing homogenized milk products, even if they are whole, then it could lead to heart disease. Also, any trans-fats in the diet are also artery-clogging. And animal products from animals that are fed predominately grain feeds have different fat composition than grass-fed animals. So perhaps some of these factors may be the cause of high rates of heart disease.

I actually eat less animal product than NT prescribes because I feel more comfortable that way, a lot of people on this thread do varying levels of animal product according to their needs. I am a big proponent of lots of vegetable matter for minerals and alkalizing the body, and prefer a produce-dominant (but still omnivorous) diet. But I have great respect for what NT is all about, and generally follow the guidelines.

Do you have reliable sunshine where you live? You can spread your seeds out on a tray and then dry them outdoors, it just takes a little bit longer but actually is better for preserving enzymes. If not though, just put them in the oven as low as it goes and keep checking them so they don't burn. My opinion is that the most important thing is getting rid of the phytic acid as opposed to trying to preserve the enzymes, if I had to choose between the two.
#64 of 192 Old 08-26-2004, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
Anyone else need kefir grains? I've got 3 cups or more now. We go through at least a quart a day here.
Hey Gale Force, I would really love to try some Kefir grains, do you think they's be all right shipped to NY?

I wish I had something to add to all the trading, the only thing I've got growing around here is some green slime on the concrete in my "courtyard" from all the rain this summer.
#65 of 192 Old 08-27-2004, 03:58 AM

Thanks for the advice about my seeds. We have reliable rain here, not reliable sunshine. I can't even dry clothes outside - I dry them on a big rack that gets pulleyed up to the ceiling. If I put seeds on the bottom shelf and leave the oven door ajar, it seems to keep the temperature down to 175-200. They are fine, but a bit toasty because I was out of the house. Nuts and seeds taste really good when they are toasted, but I always thought that it was healthier to eat them raw so that the oils weren't damaged.

Raw milk is illegal in Scotland, but we can get some good organic Jersey milk which is non-homogenised, and only lightly pasturised - I know they all say that, but the milk really does go "bad" quickly and in a nice sour way, and it tastes very sweet and delicious compared to normal milk. The cows are pastured most of the year.
#66 of 192 Old 08-30-2004, 08:25 PM

NT mamas, I need some help. I was trying to make my own chicken stock, so I took some bones, some celery, and some herbs, and boiled them together til they were reduced. Then I put it in the fridge, to let the fat harden so I could skim it off and keep the liquid underneath. Except the liquid has turned to jello! I know there is gelatin in bones, and I know the NT tradition says it's good for you. But I wanted to freeze it, and save it for later. But how do you get something of this consistency into an ice cube tray??? And if I heated it up again, would it become liquid so I could freeze it? Help me please!
#67 of 192 Old 08-30-2004, 09:22 PM

yes it will liquidify into the most tasty stock you ever tasted. You did it just perfect

Just gently reheat until liquid, then pour into your ice cube trays to freeze.

sorry naking
#68 of 192 Old 08-31-2004, 12:20 AM
RAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenabyte
GaleForce,

RAF,

I'm finally making some Beef Jerky in my dehydrator (I'm using ground buffalo) that I spiced with Soy, Garlic and a tiny bit of black pepper and sea salt. I made thin 'patties' and just laid them on the racks (used two racks) of my Ronco dehydrator. I was worried that it wouldn't be a 'marinade' for the meat, just seasoning. If you read this, how do you know when they are dry enough and 'safe' to use?

TTYL
Hello, sorry I took so long to reply... you have probably already started eating it by now. Anyway, I don't know what you mean by 'safe", but I just wait until it is dry enough to my liking. I eat raw meat sometimes, so I guess my standards of 'safe' might be a bit different than someone else's. I have never put any spices or marinates in my dried meat, so I don't have any advice there. Hopefully, your patties you made were really, really thin, otherwise it can be difficult to bite into. We roll it out really flat in a big square dehydrator tray, so it is like pancake thin. Is that how you did it? So how did it turn out?
#69 of 192 Old 08-31-2004, 12:32 AM

hi everyone. i'm happy to join the NT party here! i'm a total newbie, but i made sour cream and whey from my yogurt tonight and then made my own ketchup with the whey. since dd and dh like to smother their food with ketchup, i'm excited at the prospect of having some healthy ketchup. anyone made the NT ketchup recipe? i'm wondering how it will turn out after the two days of fermenting. do i seal the mason jar during these two days or leave it open? i made the mayo last week and was really pleased with how easy and tasty it was!
#70 of 192 Old 08-31-2004, 12:38 AM
RAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasatchmom
hi everyone. i'm happy to join the NT party here! i'm a total newbie, but i made sour cream and whey from my yogurt tonight and then made my own ketchup with the whey. since dd and dh like to smother their food with ketchup, i'm excited at the prospect of having some healthy ketchup. anyone made the NT ketchup recipe? i'm wondering how it will turn out after the two days of fermenting. do i seal the mason jar during these two days or leave it open? i made the mayo last week and was really pleased with how easy and tasty it was!

Hello wasatchmom,

welcome to the NT party! I have made the ketchup and really love it. You do seal the jar for the time you leave it out and when you put it in the fridge. The longer it is in the fridge, the better it gets too! Anyway, congrats on starting the NT journey.
#71 of 192 Old 08-31-2004, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF
Hello, sorry I took so long to reply... you have probably already started eating it by now. [cut] So how did it turn out?
That beef jerky lasted a whole hour in this house....so yes, I guess it was good....

We are making more tonight. I was going to bed early, but the smell is keeping me awake. I told the DH to keep an eye on it, but I'm afraid I might not get any in the morning if I leave it up to him to keep his 'eye' on it...and his hands..and...

Haha! I mean safe as in storing at room temp in a glass jar for longer term storage (like that'll happen) without getting funny stuff growing on it.

Eating and tast sampling of the first batch started kinda early, and since it was SOOOO tasty, there wasn't much left to test 'putting in a storage container'.

I just made really thin, little hamburger shaped patties and laid them on the racks. They eventually looked like store bought jerky and while I let them get slighty on the dry side, they were awesome tasting.

Thanks again!!!!!
#72 of 192 Old 08-31-2004, 03:39 PM

lol, you *could* get drunk on my goat kefir, it's getting a bit ripe! (my dh mentioned paint thinner, but it tastes better than it smells. i think it's time to start a new batch )

re: scotland- i'm guessing it's more the deep-fried mars bars... the only scottish boyfriend i had ate like *crap*, pure pepsi & junk food. i imagine in the country (& where there is more money) people eat better, more fresh food- i'd like to see those heart disease demographics broken down by income & region.

cat, did raw milk become illegal with the eu, or was it before then? i know my seed-swappers have had the devil of a time since those regulations took effect. imagine the government telling you what varieties of plants you may grow- oh, THAT will promote biodiversity... but i digress.

suse
#73 of 192 Old 08-31-2004, 04:49 PM

I don't think the raw milk thing is connected with the EU because it is still legal in England. I need to find out more about the Scottish health problem, and as you say, break it down by income and region. I feel very positive about the NT diet for my children, but my husband is 41 and his own father, and many of his friend's fathers, died really young. Where can one find research-based health information that's not contaminated by the interests of drug companies, the agriculture industries, and dieticians' articles of faith? But I'm not yet losing my own NT faith. I dragged the kids to the Nice Milk shop today at 4:45 and where we waited until it closed, at 5:15, when the milk delivery guy finally showed up, and we got our 4 litres of milk. And I made some spelt soda bread, having soaked the flour with yogurt for 24 hours, but I found it hard mixing the leavening ingredients into a fairly dry dough - I think it would work better with a muffin or banana bread type batter, so I'll try that next
#74 of 192 Old 08-31-2004, 05:01 PM

Sorry to jump in your 'Scottish' conversation, but what is it with Scottish men?

My best friend, a 'Campbell' had the WORST diet I've ever seen. He'd eat BAGS of chips, candy and drink Dr. Pepper ALL DAY LONG! I told him he'd die young if he continued with that diet and he's since amended some of his ways...

Suse,

How's the Kombucha doing, I just got mine today. I'm brewing up some green tea atm. It's caffeine free stuff, but that's ok, aye? I am trying to read up fast as it's sitting in it's little baggie staring out at me wanting a nice new home...

#75 of 192 Old 08-31-2004, 05:33 PM

see my post on the kombucha thread

say, we don't have any diana galbaldon fans here, do we? (i know we were thick at the last highland games i went to, lol.) or sharyn mccrumb, 'highland laddie gone', hmmmnnn...

still the queen of ot, suse
#76 of 192 Old 08-31-2004, 06:26 PM

I need my Jamie and Claire fix..when's the next book due out???? I do like reading about her 'herbal' attempts to cure things back then. Kinda sounds like she's living like us NTers are trying to do (see, there, now it's IT, not OT)

So is caffeine free tea ok for the Kombucha?
#77 of 192 Old 08-31-2004, 06:55 PM

i would imagine so- the inimitable sandor katz (again) mentions his friends doing it in mountain dew, but then again, that has caffeine, lol! (i really can't imagine why anything other than the sugar to feed on would be of import.)

next book- next book- next book (if we chant loud enough she will write faster.)

(i actually have 'lord john & the succubus', a short story in a sci-fiction compilation, right now- i'll tell you how it is when i'm done!)

suse
#78 of 192 Old 08-31-2004, 10:35 PM

Speaking of Scottish men, I heard a saying once,

'Oats aren't the only thing Scottish men and Horses have in common....' - in reply to a snide English comment about Scots eating Oats and how they are only fit for being 'Horse' food....

BTW, my hubby has alot of Scottish blood in him, Clan Skene... Supposedly an ancestor saved a King from a wild boar attack with this tiny knife, called a sgian (skene) and the King sent his falcon up and said where ever it lands, I'll grant you the land and build you a 'castle' for your good deed.

The in laws have visited this "Skene House" a few times, man, I'd LOVE to go visit Scotland, and the surrounding Isles!
#79 of 192 Old 09-01-2004, 09:31 PM
Banned

I just made a double batch of chicken liver pate and woner if it'd freeze well. Anyone tried it, or just an educated guess?
#80 of 192 Old 09-03-2004, 02:54 PM

morsan, I don't see why not, I think chicken liver pate would freeze just fine.

I had a question for any mamas who have had babies on a deficient diet, then babies on an NT-style diet. What differences did you notice, if any? Of course teeth would be better, but what about hair condition (brittleness, rate of growth), any allergies, teething pains, general fussiness, anything like that? I am wondering how much that is taken for granted as genetic is actually nutritionally related. Totally informal, but fun to talk about.
#81 of 192 Old 09-03-2004, 03:17 PM

Very interested in the "baby comparison" as well!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#82 of 192 Old 09-03-2004, 03:33 PM

hrheka,

PM your name and address to me and I'll ship it out in a couple of days. It had been over 100 degrees here and I would hesitate to ship the grains to the east coast, but it's cooler now and they are pretty resilient.

Anyone else for kefir grains?

I'm working on meeting a couple of deadlines so I have not really been around. I'm looking forward to normalcy again soon. take care everyone.

Oh, and thanks on the kombucha offer. My mom tells me we might have a friend locally with some, so I'll follow up there first.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#83 of 192 Old 09-03-2004, 06:28 PM

Hi,

DD is now 8 months old. Up to now, she's just been having a few spoonfuls of solids here and there, but I think it's time I got a bit more organized about it.

I have a question about cereal grains. NT says "not during the first year," because the baby's pancreas isn't producing much amylase yet. I was planning to follow this advice -- especially since I have a grain allergy myself, but it turns out that DD really likes the stuff! She'll only eat the recommended foods, like liver and egg yolk, if I mix them with pureed rice.

Then I found out that many traditional societies give fermented cereal gruels to babies who are just a few months old (rather than 12 months old, as it says at www.westonaprice.org). And babies start producing amylase at 6 or 7 months...so it seems reasonable to assume that they're able to eat some starches. In fact, if the cereal in DD's bowl touches the saliva from her spoon, it gets all thin and soupy within a few minutes.

Besides, there's amylase in breast milk. And I usually nurse her just before the feeding, or mix EBM with the cereal.

So, assuming I use soaked grains, and give them to her in moderation...do you think there's a problem?
#84 of 192 Old 09-03-2004, 07:03 PM

Hmm. I just realized I'm not "supposed" to be giving her vegetables until 10 months. I guess I flunk NT child-rearing! :

Her favorite foods are rice, chicken, sardines, salmon, avocado, carrots, broccoli, apples, and peaches. Everything is pureed, except the fish and avocado, which are just mashed with a fork. She also enjoys her all-rice teething biscuits.

Her least favorite foods are bananas, pears, beef, sweet potatoes, and parsnips.

When it's not convenient to hand-express, I've started adding a little raw butter, cream, or cow's milk to the purees, for the extra nutrition and enzymes. She seems to be tolerating this fine. I'd rather be using raw goat's milk, though.

BTW, does anyone have a recipe for a "kefir smoothie" that I could share with her? No citrus, berries, nuts, seeds, honey, soy, or raw egg, please. (Even if I separate the egg, the yolk always seems to have some white stuck to it.)
#85 of 192 Old 09-03-2004, 07:54 PM

maybe just blend up a banana (since she likes that already) with some Kefir/yogurt. Thin with some filtered water. It seems like it would be kinda thick for her otherwise.

I tried the '3.5 minute' egg cook thing. When I broke it, EVERYTHING ran out...both were still too soft.

Anyone else find this to be true?
#86 of 192 Old 09-03-2004, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenabyte
maybe just blend up a banana (since she likes that already) with some Kefir/yogurt. Thin with some filtered water. It seems like it would be kinda thick for her otherwise.
Actually, bananas are on her "dislike" list. (Weird...I thought all babies liked them.) But I could use peaches or apricots.

Quote:
I tried the '3.5 minute' egg cook thing. When I broke it, EVERYTHING ran out...both were still too soft.
IME, eggs are kind of unpredictable. They can take longer to cook if they're very fresh, or if you're at a high altitude, or - obviously - if they're larger, or straight from the fridge.

I usually put the egg in an eggcup, break the top off, and peek inside. If it's not done, I put the "lid" back on for 45 seconds or so. There's usually enough heat inside the egg to finish cooking it.

BTW, here's a wealth of scientific information about eggs: http://newton.ex.ac.uk/teaching/CDHW/egg/
#87 of 192 Old 09-05-2004, 03:34 AM
Banned

toraji- the questions you raised about nutritionally related "differences" in children are really interesting. Ds has very brittle hair which is so beautiful I don't want to cut it, but it keeps getting so tangled I might have to anyways. It seems weird (from a natural perspective) that hair requires hair conditioner to untangle. We stopped using shampoo but so far it hasn't made a difference. I wonder what nutrient deficiency is related to hair growth, it took him a long time to grow his hair. He also took an exceptionally long time to outgrow his soft spot on the head. A homeopath acqueitance of mine mentioned he is not absorbing calcium well enough. I'm sure we're both rather deficient in calcium.
Which raises another question, how do NT'ers who do not tolerate dairy get their calcium and how do you know when you're getting enough? I refuse to take any synthetic or whole food "derived" calcium. I try to make stock regularly, but how much do I need to consume daily to get enough calcium? Fallon recommends using azomite powder, anyone tried it? I saw some at the nursery in town, but I wonder if there are different grades of it.
Speaking of children, does anyone know of any books that discuss tribal eating habits in children specifically? Right now I'm reading a couple of books about the hunzakuts. There are great references to what they eat at different times of the day (although nothing specific about child-feeding).
#88 of 192 Old 09-05-2004, 05:56 AM

My middle dd was vegan for the first 2 1/2 yrs. She was petite & healthy but did have a noticeable overbite when her teeth came in. She does have excema but only very minor & was generally a bad sleeper. Once I got her on the fish oil, raw milk etc. She suddenly grew. Almost overnight. Her teeth seem to be straightening up quite a bit too. She never had tooth decay. Her hair has always been beautiful & thick & very curly.

dd#3 has been on the NT-type diet since she was a few months old. Indirectly at first obviously. In fact the whole reason I discovered NT was coz dd#3 got chronic colic when I ate legumes. Raw milk was the most acceptable ethical substitute I could find. I tried rice milk with dd#2 & my hair fell out. She sleeps badly. Still at 14 months old is yet to sleep longer than about 3 hrs. She gets a touch of excema too behind one of her knees & under her neck roll. However, I think her teeth are pretty straight. She is my baldiest baby in that she still has hardly any hair. What is there is shiny & soft. She does have beautiful skin tho' & the most amamzing long eye lashes. With teething, she never does any of the dribbling or staying up all night screaming either. The way I can tell is she starts biting real bad.
#89 of 192 Old 09-05-2004, 06:25 PM

I'm thinking that the pregnancy diet has a huge impact on the child. From what I've heard, if you are deficient during pregnancy, certain things will not form correctly. This seems to be true based on observations of friends and their children, and what they ate during pregnancy.

DD has beautiful hair, so whatever controls that factor was good with me during pregnancy. I think I was deficient in EFAs and Vitamin D, which manifested as eczema and tooth decay. This is all just a guess though.

Despite my philosophical objections, I am supplementing with a calcium/magnesium/phosporus pill. I've noticed a huge difference since taking it, my legs get restless and somewhat crampy if I don't. I've been doing a lot of research on soil health, and from what I understand our soils are not as nutrified as they used to be, and even organic vegetables are not well-fortified. Some people have started to use a Brix refractometer to gauge the quality of produce (I'm hoping to get one soon), and we've been pumping our veggies full of minerals in the form of kelp meal, dolomite, and trace mineral fertilizer. I'm hoping to get our home grown crops full of minerals and be able to kick out the pill supplement.

the key to getting enough minerals in your diet is vegetables, vegetables, vegetables. The animal food is very important to keep things in balance, but they don't give you many minerals. Try simmering dark leafy greens like collard or kale in your bone broth and see if that makes a difference, as well as upping your consumption of fresh vegetables. I have been very into the Garden of Eating Diet book lately. http://www.thegardenofeatingdiet.com
#90 of 192 Old 09-07-2004, 01:48 AM

Hi there. I am just learning about NT and have been reading old posts. WOW so much to learn.

We are just moving away from the American mainstream way of eating. I'm having to go really slow with my family so as to avert total resistance . We are only eating organic and have not found a source for raw milk.

Does anyone have any encouraging stories about your NT path? Any suggestions for snacks for kids who are a bit resistant for change?

Thanks in advance.

PS
I would love to live in Scotland someday

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page