Traditional Foods (NT) Mamas - August Thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 192 Old 09-07-2004, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bohemian-
I've been cooking NT way since my son was born in late April. I live in a rural area and still have not found a source of raw milk. I have been buying organic non-homoginized milk. Here are some snacks I give my daughter - a banana, a peach, a piece of cheese, a slice of sprouted grain bread (bought from the store) toasted with honey and butter. Goats milk cheese wrapped in a sprouted grain tortilla. I also hate to admit to this but I have some organic all natural fruit leather that I will give her on special occasions. I've made the peanut cookies, very good, but my oven will not cook below 170. . . so I cook the peanuts for a shorter time. Also last but not least, I've made her fried mush (oatmeal with egg) and she really liked that.

As far as my husband, he has been away for business, and I found a bunch of snickers and gatoraid in his bag when he came back. Yuck! (but he has been sick frequently and me and the kids have not been sick since we began NT.)
#92 of 192 Old 09-08-2004, 03:59 PM

My five-year old son loves milk and is really excited about high-fat milk. So I have no problem getting dairy fat into him as a snack. He won't eat seeds or nuts though, except peanut butter. He eats this regularly and I worry about the phytic acid. Has anyone made peanut butter with soaked peanuts? I don't have a food processor.

My 2 year old daughter loves "seeds": I folllow the NT recipe for pumpkin seeds but use a mixture of flax, sesame, sunflower, and pumpkin. It makes a big batch which I keep in a jar in the fridge. The flax seeds make them all clump together which makes then easier to eat.

They both eat soaked oatmeal porridge with whole milk and unrefined sugar in the mornings. This took a lot of work because they and their father prefer special K, plus the 5-year-old can get breakfast himself if it's a cold cereal. Maybe that's why cold cereals have always been so popular. It is very quick and easy to do, though. I soak the oats, water, and a few big spoons of yogurt in the cooking pan on the stove overnight, and in the morning, put in a pinch of salt and bring it to the boil, when it thickens. I hope this sounds ok to those of you who have been eating this way for a long time.

Catarina
#93 of 192 Old 09-08-2004, 05:45 PM

Ahhhh, you guys give me the warm fuzzies I haven't been on Mothering for awhile. Just get discouraged with how mainstream it has become (not in a good way). But when I read the NT thread.....I become encouraged again. I have a favor to ask.......I have three pregnant friends who would like kombucha starts. I only have one baby right now and the mamas would like the kombucha to stem the nausea. One is a vegan mama is pregnant with twins (yikes, I know). Would anyone volunteer to send a kombucha baby to one of these ladies? I need two volunteers.

Bohemian......I know what ya mean about the family revolt. Luckily, mine are small and I can sneak things into their food without any protest. The big kid (my husband) is the tough one. But, I started NT with making kefir. Easy stuff.....could get ya some starter grains if you want. I just throw it in smoothies.

Lisa
#94 of 192 Old 09-08-2004, 06:48 PM

Hi spyispy Does kombucha really work for nausea in pg? I wish I had known!!! I s'pose it make sense as most nausea is a liver thing. I have bulk kombucha babies but I doubt MAF would like me if I started posting them around the world.

Hey Catarina! My grandad was scottish. He came from Pennan. It is a truly beautiful place but it is too cold for me.

A ? for you all. What do you do with bone broths. I insist on making stock every time dh & the kids have something with a bone in. I now have heaps but I have no idea what to do with it. We don't do much soup as dh reckons it's not a meal & it's a bit messy for the kids. I make the odd gumbo or stew but that is it. dh loves the korean beef soup recipe in NT so I use all my bone broths there, but I can only make it so many times.

Also, & I cannot believe I am asking this , how do you all cook liver ? yikes! I have a very vague memory of my aunty telling me she soaked hers overnight in milk. I can get decent organic liver so I wanted to cook some for the kids.
#95 of 192 Old 09-09-2004, 08:19 PM

I did a bit of lurking here before our move 3mos ago. I'm so glad to find you all again. It's been an isolating 3 mos.
OceanMama- We're not big liver fans so I've been grinding it up and sneaking it into meatloaf and burgers. If anyone has other suggestions I'd love to here them too! DH and I are planning to detox then start trying for another :
I'm also interested in the kombucha tea for morning sickness. I had a lot of that with dd and couldn't hold down meat or dairy
Bohemian- I make loads of waffles and pancakes then freeze them. We eat lots of cheese and fermented bread, fruits, veggies and occasionally beef jerky. It takes lots of baby steps otherwise would get overwhelmed making the transition.

Anita
mama to Teagan (dd9), Simon (ds5), Mazzy (dd2)
#96 of 192 Old 09-10-2004, 01:24 AM

I love my NT cook book but I will not touch another Kombucka mushroom. When I was about 16, my mother and I drank a lot of kombucka for a few months. Shortly after that I developed chronic fatigue so bad that I missed 6 months of school (It is only recently that I am not bothered by this everyday) and my mother was diagnosed with fibromyalgia (sp) and psyaratic-arthritis that left her in a wheel chair until she saw a naturopath who helped her feel "normal" again. I am not trying to scare anyone, I don't know if this was an allergy or if it was coincidence, I don't know if the mushroom was contaminated (I don't think so) or what but I thought I would share this with all of you.

If anyone else has had something like this happen, let me know.

Catarina - thank you for the "seeds" recipe. I will try it on my 2 year old.
#97 of 192 Old 09-10-2004, 01:31 AM

Try the ginger ale for nausea

I make a bone broth every week. But I make soups with it. Try the minestrone soup but put rice noodles in it and serve it with some sprouted grain bread with butter. If you make it really thick and serve it with bread wedges and a pile of grated white cheddar on top, then maybe you can pass it off as a meal to your husband. Mine is really picky!! But this works

I think the trick is to make sure that it's a hearty soup with plenty of veggies and or meat.
#98 of 192 Old 09-10-2004, 01:34 PM

I had a ob tell me once to steer clear of blue cheese. She said in some cases women have miscarriages due to the bacteria in the cheese. Adults can handle it but an unborn baby can't. Has anyone else heard of this?
Oh well, the last time I had kombucha I wasn't super crazy about it. I'd rather stick to my raw milk. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it down inthe next pg.
As for the broth ideas, I have two dogs on a raw diet, so they get some of it. I do make a lot of soups too but I usually serve them as a side to a meal or dd and I eat them at lunch. Could you make some nice sauces to put on meats or veggies?
Does anyone here use a daily vit? and what about prenatal vit?
Thanks

Anita
#99 of 192 Old 09-10-2004, 04:24 PM

Yes, pregnant women are supposed to steer clear of soft and veiny cheeses, as they may contain the listeria bacteria. My midwife told me to just be sure to avoid it in the last trimester when I asked if I MUST avoid them!

I was never able to manage a prenatal vitamin for various reasons. I didn't sweat it, though people seemed very surprised if I told them!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#100 of 192 Old 09-11-2004, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitlan
I was never able to manage a prenatal vitamin for various reasons. I didn't sweat it, though people seemed very surprised if I told them!
Thanks for the cheese info. So if you didn't use any prenatal vits what was your diet like? I ask because I've been following the NT guidlines for the past year. Now to be honest I have only done some fermented veggies and lately I have not been soaking grains (I lack preplanning skills, but working on that)
But I still feel quite tired and my daughter and I are still suffering from little colds and sinus congestion. Where as dh, the junk fod junkie rarely gets sick.
I found the Brewer diet and will try to keep up with that.

Anita
#101 of 192 Old 09-11-2004, 11:47 AM

Well, I didn't discover NT until after my last pregnancy, so I can't really help regarding that. I just ate the best I could and did take iron at the end b/c my level was REALLY low. Lots of calcium (well, with what I now know about raw milk, I hope I got lots of calcium back then!) and as much protein as I could muster.

Sorry I am not more of a help!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#102 of 192 Old 09-11-2004, 12:11 PM

I just bought some butter which the woman in the cheese shop assures me is unpasturised. It is bright yellow, and quite strong smelling - I think is smells cheesy. when I scrape off the outer, oxidised layer, it is a bit less strong. Is this what I should expect from grass-fed butter? what do people think fresh butter should smell like?
#103 of 192 Old 09-11-2004, 02:10 PM

bright yellow is a good sign. It means that the animal was eating lots of fresh green grasses as opposed to the faded yellow that you get with hay/grain.

cheesy smell usually means that things are starting to ferment. The butter may have been cultured before being turned into butter, it apparently helps to coagulate the fat globules together.

As for the strong smell, I went straight from being vegan to eating raw cow butter, and I thought it smelled really strong. Essence of cow, LOL!

Usually taste is a good indicator, if it tastes bad, then throw it out. But most likely it's still good, butter lasts a fairly long time.
#104 of 192 Old 09-11-2004, 02:48 PM

Hi everyone...

I did not take a prenatal either. I ate daily raw goat milk youghurt, raw milk swiss and lots of fermented veg.

I also made sure I ate a large plate of steamed leafy greens and brocolli.

As well I brewed a very strong root tea comprised from several iron/calcium/mineral rich roots and mixed that with juiced dandelion root, wild cherry juice and chlorrophly (sp?)

I wanted to ask where you all got your "Wild Fermentation" book and you "NT book"?

I have been reading all your posts here and on the daily diary of eating thread and I would really like to read up furthur about NT. I kind of stummbled upon these threads and it seems I am doing much of the concepts already. But there are some things I am doing that are in conflict with the NT ideas.

I can't really call myself a vegetarian anymore and I am not really looking for a label persay but it would be good to have some more nutritional guidance about fermentation. We eat a very large portion of our food in its raw state.

Anyhow I am rammbling.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Colleen
#105 of 192 Old 09-11-2004, 04:27 PM

forgot to answer some questions:
about soaked nut butters: we follow the crispy nuts method minus the salt, then process in a food processor until they release their oils and butter up. I'm not quite sure how to do it without a food processor. Perhaps a grinder or hand mill? Or maybe in the blender in small batches but you'd probably have to add a little oil to help it along.

about liver: I like it best ground up into sausage with lots of spices, otherwise it's too strong flavored for me. Although last week we got a lamb liver and it was quite mild. We prepared it like this:
peeled membrane off liver
cut into small cubes
sauteed onions and peppers in a wok
added liver cubes, sauteed to lightly brown
added tomato juice to make a sauce
seasoned with garlic, salt, pepper, and hot sauce
--the sauce came out too runny so the next day when I re-heated it, I first made a roux with olive oil and flour then added the liver with the runny sauce. It thickened right up.
Pretty tasty, but I still like the sausage better.

You can get Wild Fermentation direct from the author at http://www.wildfermentation.com/. Or you can order it through your local bookstore or Amazon.

Nourishing Traditions is pretty much everywhere (they carry it at my co-op!), you can get it from the Price-Pottenger Foundation at http://www.ppnf.org/catalog/index.php?cPath=23 or order it through the bookstore or Amazon.
#106 of 192 Old 09-11-2004, 09:21 PM

Ladies -- I have had so little on line time in the last month, I feel like I am totally out of touch. I just finished two reports and am doing some on-line ordering. Finally.

Cooking liver: we rinse it well and soak it in lemon juice, sautee onions, set aside, strain liver, coat with flour/salt/pepper mixture, sautee in heated skillet (med heat) for about 2 minutes each side, add hot water, turn down as low as possible, cover, cook for another 4 minutes or so. Take liver out, make gravy, put liver back in with gravy, cover with onions, add salt as necessary. Cooking time will vary with thickness. Ours tends to be about 1/4 inch thick when raw.

We have noticed a big energy boost with liver in our diet. We get it from Whole Foods for about $3.50/lb. It only takes 1/4 pound or less for an entree, so it's not that expensive as far as meat is concerned, and certainly less so than organic meat.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#107 of 192 Old 09-12-2004, 12:22 AM

Hey ya'll! Guess what, I'm so excited, I'm going to be able to go to the WAP conference! Is anyone else going? It's in Arlington, and now that I'm only about 4 hours away from there I can go to these sorts of things, I'm way excited about this.
Things have been crazy lately so I've gotten out of the NT swing of things, but hopefully I'll be able to get back on soon. I located a chapter leader so I'll be able to get some info on the area and sources, and I ordered some more cod liver oil and am going to try taking chlorella for a supplement for a little while.
My fertility will probably be returning soon and I really would like to prepare my body and grow a wonderfully healthy baby with perfect teeth. Not to mention my childrens diet is in need of much improvement lately.
Wish me luck getting my behind back in gear again!
#108 of 192 Old 09-13-2004, 06:21 PM

So we've pretty much settled into our new place and I've started a bunch of fermentation projects. I even I have my first batch of kefir brewing (thanks to Gale Force!!). I came across a bunch of big glass containers so I've decided to try some NT beverages. The first two finished (orangina & ginger ale) they both came out very salty, I suspected this would be the case but wanted to see how salty before I started messing with the recipes.

So my question is have any others of you tried any of these drinks? Does anyone know why they call for so much salt and how much I could reduce it?

Thanks.
#109 of 192 Old 09-15-2004, 02:17 AM

Thanks for the suggestions on easing the family into it. I some times feel overwhelmed with all the information.

We've finally found a good source for milk/cream/and butter so I'm excited to start fermenting. I made pickles the other day and they should be done soon.

My 11yo dd has been complaining that there is "nothing good to eat" in the house. Then I saw her heating up some leftover chicken for a sandwich in the cast iron pan. So NT is actually helping her learn to cook for herself .

They all love the whole milk.

One question I have is about weight loss. I'm overweight and have found that this new way of eating makes me feel fuller but I wonder about how I'm going to lose weight eating this way. Has anyone struggled with this? Of course I could always eat less . Thanks in advance.
#110 of 192 Old 09-15-2004, 06:19 AM

I couldn't do the liver thing & ended up feeding it to the chooks.

The reason I am posting is I went to the dentist today for my annual visit. He only charged me $25 as he couldn't find any holes & didnt even think it was necessary to polish my teeth.

I've also finally found a decent way to compost all those left over stock bones. What I do is feed them to the chooks to pick clean ( unless they are chicken bones which creeps me out ). Then put them on the fire to burn. They burn real hot too. Most just burn to ash but if there are any bits left, you can just grind them down with your boot.
#111 of 192 Old 09-15-2004, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian
One question I have is about weight loss. I'm overweight and have found that this new way of eating makes me feel fuller but I wonder about how I'm going to lose weight eating this way. Has anyone struggled with this? Of course I could always eat less . Thanks in advance.
I just joined WAPF and most people that comment on the weight issue say they actually lost some weight. Especially those taking a supplement of coconut oil. http://www.westonaprice.org/letters/spring04.html is one letter I came upon that might be encouraging. Scroll down to Real Food and Weight Loss.

Anita
#112 of 192 Old 09-15-2004, 04:32 PM

I'm new here and have a few questions. I found a biodynamic farm nearby where I can get raw milk, buttermilk, eggs, veggies, grains, etc. What I need to know is how to handle the milk. How long can I keep it in the fridge?
I'm pregnant and a bit wary of drinking "old" raw milk. My kids love the stuff and that it's straight from the cow.
Where can I go for more information in general about recipes and tips? Next week I want to try soaking grains in buttermilk for pancakes, etc. I'm also looking into buying a grain mill, but don't know what to look for.

Thanks!
#113 of 192 Old 09-15-2004, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocomoto
What I need to know is how to handle the milk. How long can I keep it in the fridge?
I'm pregnant and a bit wary of drinking "old" raw milk.
I purchase my raw milk on a bimonthly basis. I get 4 gal. and keep them all refrigerated. IME the last half of my 4th gal has turned on me before it's gone. It doesn't always happen though. Unlike pasturized milk you will smell it when milk has gone sour. And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told that even then it is not a danger it just doesn't taste great.
I get most of my recipes from the NT cookbook.
Hope that helps.

PS some freeze their milk but i have not had good results thawing it out.

Anita
#114 of 192 Old 09-16-2004, 03:45 PM

i just purchased the "nourishing traditions" cookbook and am awaiting it's arrival.

i am looking for a diet that will help w/ my children's eczema, tooth decay, moodiness, and sleep issues. So, i thought i'd give it a try.

what are your success stories w/ this diet? i would love to hear your stories.

Thanks.....Aimee
#115 of 192 Old 09-16-2004, 09:47 PM

I've been trying to bake some good bread for my family. I thought I'd try the blueberry muffins and the buttermilk biscuits. The cookbook recomended 45 min. for the muffins and I took them out at 30 because they were done.

The same day, I made buttermilk biscuits and the recipe said 40 minutes I baked them for 30 and they still came hard as rocks.

I'm using organic whole wheat flour and following the recipe's to a T, soaking the flours over night in buttermilk.

I've never baked with spelt or kamut. Are these flours not as dense as the ww? Could this be where my trouble is?

Thanks in advance.
Frustrated,
#116 of 192 Old 09-16-2004, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian
The same day, I made buttermilk biscuits and the recipe said 40 minutes I baked them for 30 and they still came hard as rocks.
I've found that many of the cooking times in NT are way too long. What I have been doing with good results is following the NT recipe (for baked goods, chicken or anything else that requires the oven) and comparing the oven temp & cooking time to a more standard recipe (usually Fannie Farmer or Joy of Cooking). Most of the baked goods respond well to this as does chicken.

I'm not sure why the cooking times are so wacky in the recipes, I noticed this as soon as I got the book and have pretty much disregarded them.
#117 of 192 Old 09-17-2004, 03:18 AM

Thanks for the info on the milk. I would not have thought it would keep that long, based on how long my breastmilk lasted in the fridge. That's the only other experience I've had with raw milk!
The farmers here recommended boiling it after 48 hours, but then that's not the point of buying raw milk.
#118 of 192 Old 09-17-2004, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocomoto
The farmers here recommended boiling it after 48 hours, but then that's not the point of buying raw milk.

I'm suprised they're selling it raw then recommending to boil it?! Are they familiar with NT?

Bohemian- I have had the same problem. I tend to blend recipes also and use the NT method to prepare but Bettey Crocker to cook

Anita
#119 of 192 Old 09-17-2004, 03:33 PM

These are swiss biodynamic farmers and I don't think they have heard of NT. They are just living their traditional way of life. They have fresh milk everyday and aren't concerned with keeping it.
They look at me a bit funny for driving over there for the milk. They just accept it and don't ask too many questions.
#120 of 192 Old 09-17-2004, 05:25 PM

I actually just read in The Garden of Eating Diet that boiled milk has a long tradition of use as a healing food. For some reason, if it is boiled and cooled quickly it is much better than pasteurized. Can't figure out why this makes sense though, but they claim that boiled milk products were used in the Bircher-Benner(sp?) clinic to feed to their patients.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page