Traditional Foods (NT) Mamas - August Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 192 Old 09-19-2004, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have any trouble freezing milk, so I would give that a try at least once. I give it a good shake and pour out a couple of inches to give it room to expand, and later I thaw it overnight outside the fridge in a cool place. And what about making kefir and yogurt as a way of preserving milk? I have just got started making kefir and I am amazed at how easy it is, everything at room temperature and no special equipment. I can't get my husband to drink it yet ("Some bacteria you got through the post from a perfect stranger? No, thanks!") I don't have an idea yet of how long it keeps, though, or how to do it other than making a small amount everyday and drinking it up.
#122 of 192 Old 09-19-2004, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeemac
what are your success stories w/ this diet? i would love to hear your stories.
Hmm...we are not doing a strict NT diet, we're doing more of a cross between NT and The Garden of Eating Diet (more vegetables, less salt and fat, but with raw dairy and properly prepared grains and including organ meats).
But we've noticed these changes so far:
-Stopping of rapid tooth decay in DD
-Stopping of tooth decay in DH and me, teeth whitening and gums stopping bleeding, teeth feeling more solid and les "wiggly"
-no more brain fog/PPD, increased thinking ability
-DH's back started bothering him much less and healing (2 ruptured discs, he was bedridden for a while)
-Increased muscle tone without increasing exercise, less "flabby"
-More stamina both physically and mentally
-DD started acting more mentally chipper and gaining weight
-Skin seems more "bouncy", less ashen, less pimples
-DH's cuticles finally healed and reattached after 12 years of problems
-Sleeping more soundly, used to have problems with insomnia
-Nails not brittle anymore
-Less problems with fatigue (still tired b/c it's hard to get enough sleep with a 2 year old around!)
-Less problems with DD's eczema, she used to have it really bad to the point of impetigo, now when she eats a trigger she only gets a few spots.

If I think of more I'll post again.
#123 of 192 Old 09-19-2004, 10:58 PM

Hi everyone,
I have a question....I want to make a bone broth to keep in the fridge for cooking grains and making soup ect.

My freezer absolutely does not keep things frozen enough to trust it with the broth so my question is how long will the broth keep in the fridge?

Thanks!

BTW...ordered my books yesterday!
#124 of 192 Old 09-20-2004, 05:28 PM

MM -- I'm guessing a week on the broth.

And a quick backstory on why I'm here: I had bad depression in pg and postpartum. Went through a long journey of discovering the biochemical cause and ended up here. The deficiencies I had were related to my vegan diet. And mind you, I wasn't a cookie, cracker, and chip vegan. I ate whole foods and followed a good diet. Needless to say, I was shocked. My reasons for becoming a vegan were health, so it was not difficult for me to make this transition. In the middle of all of this I had a systemic case of candida and was on a very strict no-sugar diet. I have this great driver's license photo taken one month after I began the candida diet. It arrived in the mail and I compared it to the pic I had taken when we first moved to California when I was a vegan. The difference was shocking. I just about cried. "You mean I have to stay on this diet forever?" boo hoo. My vegan picture looked much older, puffier, with poorer skin coloring. I was the same body weight in both and thought I was doing well as a vegan. "Uh oh," as Frederick would say.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#125 of 192 Old 09-21-2004, 01:52 PM

Kefir Tip: I've been brewing it in the refrigerator, to slow it down lately. It's a bit milder and I can get to it faster, since I'm usually the only one drinking it! What I can't drink, I turn into cream cheese, about once a week.

I poured half a glass Kefir, and then added in some strawberry juice and 'swirled' it. It was REALLY nice. Perhaps you could try mixing it with some juice to give to Dh or kids. My son drinks yogurt 'smoothies' like a fiend...he tried the Kefir 'smoothie' and liked it. [Hehe, he also tried a sip of Kombucha, and said, BAD tea, momma, throw it out!]

I finally got my Donvier Yogurt Cheese Maker and wow, it REALLY does strain the Kefir from the Whey nicely! I will have a really large batch of 'cream cheese' now for my bread. I just love it with a pinch of sea salt for more flavor.
#126 of 192 Old 09-22-2004, 12:44 AM

I made the spicy meat loaf with sourkraut and ketchup tonight, it was great! The ketchup gets a thumbs up from my picky 2yr old and hubby.

I have to admit that I'm a bit bummed. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person I know who eats the NT way. Do any of you ever feel this way? I wish I knew more people who are "enlightened" like we are. You all give me a warm fuzzy feeling!

As for me and my family, me and my daughter have not been sick AT ALL since eating the NT way. Also, there has been a lot of illness floating around. I know two children that have pnumonia right now and others that have chicken pox.

I still can not find a good source of raw milk. I may have a lead on raw goat milk though.
#127 of 192 Old 09-22-2004, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cornersmamma
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person I know who eats the NT way. Do any of you ever feel this way? I wish I knew more people who are "enlightened" like we are.
I know exactly what you mean! I swear sometimes people look at me like I just told them we eat purple cow sh*t. : My mom has already warned me that I'm geting too primative and dh sometimes gets freaked out by all the raw foods. Although he is a culinary graduate and they just beat sanitation in to the point where even the food needs to be sterilized. At least he's coming around espeacially after he taste it. I'll never forget our first gallon of raw milk. He braced himself for a putrid cow funk but changed to pleasantly suprised when he tasted how rich and creamy it was I don't mind the skeptics that will at least try it but those that show complete disgust and refuse even a taste are the ones that offend me.
Sorry if I sound a bit b*tchy. I'm having a bad couple of days.

Anita
mama to Teagan (dd9), Simon (ds5), Mazzy (dd2)
#128 of 192 Old 09-22-2004, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the kefir ideas. I think it's a matter of time to get my husband to try some. The kids aren't that keen on smoothies - they tend to say it's nice, then leave it on the table and wander off. I probably should offer them as as afternoon snack when they're hungry instead of with a meal as a drink. A lot of the time I just strain it straight into the blender and add a banana or mango for myself.

Why does the NT diet have to be/seem so far out to other people? Tonight we had lamb chops, broccolli and corn with butter, and potatoes au gratin cooked with good milk and butter. Complete "my grandmother" food, but it's all NT unless I'm missing something. (which I may be - I'm open to suggestions!) And I have been incorporating the soaking principle into perfectly straightforward biscuits and pancakes and things. Oh, and what do people think about fruit juice gelatine? No added sugar.

Catarina
#129 of 192 Old 09-22-2004, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catarina
Why does the NT diet have to be/seem so far out to other people? Tonight we had lamb chops, broccolli and corn with butter, and potatoes au gratin cooked with good milk and butter. Complete "my grandmother" food, but it's all NT unless I'm missing something. (which I may be - I'm open to suggestions!) And I have been incorporating the soaking principle into perfectly straightforward biscuits and pancakes and things. Oh, and what do people think about fruit juice gelatine? No added sugar.
DD & I love FJ gelatin, especially w/mangos . I think where most people get weirded out by NT is the fermented & raw foods. Some even make a little gagging motion when I mention raw milk. Oh well they don't know what they're missing

Anita
#130 of 192 Old 09-23-2004, 12:01 AM

what is fruit juice gelatin? Is it a recipe in the book? It sounds good.

How did all of you find your raw milk? I have been looking for a good 5 months! It is actually illegal to sell raw milk in Colorado. . . talk about stupid lobbyists!
#131 of 192 Old 09-23-2004, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
How did all of you find your raw milk? I have been looking for a good 5 months! It is actually illegal to sell raw milk in Colorado. . . talk about stupid lobbyists!
Guidestone Farm is now preparing a campaign to make raw milk legal in CO, so there is hope!

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#132 of 192 Old 09-23-2004, 03:29 AM

I made pancakes with flour soaked in buttermilk and they were excellent! Soaking the flour really makes a difference.

We've been drinking raw milk for 2 weeks now and loving it. Last night I made cottage cheese with 2 liters of milk. It was supprisingly easy and the kids like it.

I don't know what seems so strange about NT. Most of dh's family has been eating this way for generations, and they all live into their 90s and beyond. His great uncle is turning 99 this month and has never had anything but fresh milk straight from the cow.
#133 of 192 Old 09-24-2004, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama
Guidestone Farm is now preparing a campaign to make raw milk legal in CO, so there is hope!
Really? Is there anyway to get involved?

I 'm a CU Colorado grad too!
#134 of 192 Old 09-24-2004, 12:21 PM

This is an article about the recent votes in CO to do away with cow shares and here is a link to local WAPF chapters.

Does any one know how to safely ship kombucha 'shrooms? I have someone that is willing to give me one but neither one of us know how to do it. Thanks.

Anita
#135 of 192 Old 09-24-2004, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Really? Is there anyway to get involved?

I 'm a CU Colorado grad too!
Yes!

Guidestone is helping to organize a Legislative Action Committee to prepare legislation for the 2005 Session. The committee is currently drafting language for a bill that would be submitted to the Legislature. The Campaign for Raw Milk is in the process of contacting potential Senate and House sponsors for the legislation.

They are asking for people to contact their local legislature representatives to educate them on the value of raw milk in their personal diets and of their desire to have access to this product.

Specifically, they are asking that people write a personal letter followed up with an email addressing these points:

* It is our right as Americans and as informed consumers to have access to the foods of our choosing.
* We want to find a way to obtain raw milk within state jurisdiction.
*Health benefits you have personally experienced by drinking raw milk.
* Their thoughts on Guidestone's safey record, quality food and cleaniness.

Obviously, those who are not members of Guidestone can't address the last point!

David Lynch of Guidestone has requested copies of the emails be sent to him for his records at farmerlynch@msn.com

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#136 of 192 Old 09-24-2004, 04:35 PM

Fruit juice gelatine: Just make up Knox gelatine with fruit juice - the packet should say how much each sachet will gel. Add fruit puree or chunks, or yogurt, or cream. Or serve with yogurt or cream. I'm getting into Joy of Cooking country here.
#137 of 192 Old 09-24-2004, 05:06 PM

Hi, just wanted to check in here - I just came back from a 3week long car trip vacation during which I read NT out loud to my husband, and both of us are now committed to eating the NT way. First step, seek out some raw milk (anyone got a line on raw milk in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan? - I don't think it should be too hard to find).
Just wanted to pop my head up and say hi
#138 of 192 Old 09-24-2004, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catarina
Fruit juice gelatine: Just make up Knox gelatine with fruit juice - the packet should say how much each sachet will gel. Add fruit puree or chunks, or yogurt, or cream. Or serve with yogurt or cream. I'm getting into Joy of Cooking country here.

What about the heavy metals and toxins found in marrow? Do you all source an organic form of the gelatin? Is there a way to pull the gelatin from the bones yourself from a certified/or guarenteed organically raised animal?
#139 of 192 Old 09-25-2004, 12:43 AM

I've never seen organic gelatin. The gelatin in our supermarkets says it is cow skin on the label. Not sure about how you'd get gelatin out of bones. All my stocks set solid when I put them in the fridge. However, the idea of beef stock flavoured orange jelly doesn't sound too tasty!

I always thought gelatin was the hooves. I have an organic horse & I know a lady with a biodynamic farm with 7 horses. Where I am going with this is horses get their hooves trimmed. In theory, you should be able to extract gelatin out of the trimmings. It would even be vegan gelatin too! So next time I get the horses hooves trimmed, which will be in the next few months or so, I will experiment & post as to what I work out. I may even sneak out & file a bit off the bottom of one to try later on.
#140 of 192 Old 09-25-2004, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
What about the heavy metals and toxins found in marrow? Do you all source an organic form of the gelatin? Is there a way to pull the gelatin from the bones yourself from a certified/or guarenteed organically raised animal?
I think NOW Foods carries an (organic?) gelatin.

Anita
#141 of 192 Old 09-25-2004, 03:23 AM

What exactly is in the powdered Gelatin in the supermarket.

I had heard in the past that it is the butcher room cuttings. Or pulverised bone and hooves etc.

For that I'd quess it would be good to know your butcher quite well.
#142 of 192 Old 09-25-2004, 03:50 AM
cjr

Quote:
First step, seek out some raw milk (anyone got a line on raw milk in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan? - I don't think it should be too hard to find).
It's illegal to sell raw milk in Canada. Stupid Canadian laws.

I have been reading through your threads, but in a nut shell could someone explain NT eating. Specifically what you do eat and what you don't eat. I would like to know a little about it before I go ahead and order the book. I am on a deep quest to healthier eating. I went vegetarian, but I miss meat. I found a great organic beef farmer, a great milk and yogurt source (not raw, but the best replacement I can find) and I'm weaning my family off of pre-packaged anything unless it's a natural...no additives...no chemicals type of food. I may be able to get some raw milk from some relatives. I remember being on their farm and in shock because they went out to milk the cow. I just have to get their number from my mom without letting her know what I'm up to. She's not very supportive of anything I do. She thinks I'm a little wacked with all my nutrition, cd'ing, healthing living stuff.

I did soak my oatmeal in yogurt and water, goooood stuff. I have been a little shy of the soaking the flour though, would'nt it just be goopy...or do you soak it in the liquid you are using in the recipe?
#143 of 192 Old 09-25-2004, 05:05 PM

Thank you all for the helpful links and other info!

cjr- just break down and go buy NT! Actually, when you soak your flour, it makes the final product a lot softer and tastier. I think that the buttermilk or whatnot that you soak the flour in is part of the final liquid in your recipe. As far as your family thinking you're whacked, well my family calls me "granola sister" and I don't even eat granola! My sisters and thier families are always sick, whereas my family and I are very rarely sick. That is why chatting on this forum is keeping me sane and helps me to remember why I go to the trouble to live a healthy lifestyle!
#144 of 192 Old 09-25-2004, 09:53 PM

There are instructions on how to make gelatin out of hooves/bones/etc in The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery. I'll try to dig them up when DD is not sleeping on my lap.

NT/Traditional Foods Diet in a Nutshell, by toraji:
No packaged, processed, refined, or new-fangled "modern" foods
Only traditional forms of fats like coconut, extra virgin olive, butter, lard, no trans fats or "vegetable" oil
Properly prepared grains, beans, nuts, seeds (some people can't tolerate grains though)
Fermented foods (yogurt, kefir, lacto-fermented veggies and drinks)
Raw dairy and eggs from pastured animals (if you can tolerate them)
Pastured animal product, using the whole animal (organ meats, bone broths)
Only traditional forms of soy (miso, tempeh, etc)
Some supplementation like cod liver oil, azomite powder
Not strict NT, but plenty of vegetables is very traditional

did I forget anything?
#145 of 192 Old 09-25-2004, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr
It's illegal to sell raw milk in Canada. Stupid Canadian laws.
Hmmmm. That sucks. Dh just made a joke that we'll have to buy it in a dark alley :LOL I'm still sure I can find it, I'll just have to be more resourceful, and not actually buy it (you know - maybe I'll make a donation to the farm, or maybe I could give them a gift . . . assuming I can find any)

I just started whey and cream cheese from organic yogurt today - wow, that's easy! Good thing my cats are still on vacation, though - they love yogurt I also got some cabbage at the farmer's market today, so I can make some sauerkraut. And, despite the fact my garden isn't all that great this year, I have enough cucumbers for a jar of pickles

By the way, Fallon doesn't say anything about boiling lids (as is normally done in canning) - so, does that mean I don't have to? I've never pickled anything before, but my mom does, and I'm trying to remember - I'm pretty sure she doesn't boil the lids for regular pickles (the kind made with vinegar), only for jam and jelly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
#146 of 192 Old 09-25-2004, 11:53 PM
cjr

Quote:
cjr- just break down and go buy NT! Actually, when you soak your flour, it makes the final product a lot softer and tastier.
I will do that this week. I actually did'nt wait for a response last night and soaked my flour in buttermilk to make pancakes this morning. WOW! They were awsome. So tender and moist. I used ww flour soaked in the buttermilk, and sooo good.

I found a great farm to get pasture raised organic beef. He's local and we have been testing his beef and it's very good.I think I'm going to buy half a cow. I also found another local farmer with pasture raised lamb, pork and chickens. I buy whole chickens because it's more economical, and I can use the carcus for soup stock. I would like to buy a whole pig and a whole lamb. It seems like it's my best value and it would be a big plus just having it all in the freezer.

This type of eating really is'nt to far from what I'm doing now. I have always been a healthy eater. I gave up meat about four months ago because of the way it was making me feel (tummy aches and slugish). I have been eating the organic meat all week and I feel great. I do buy the odd pre-packaged stuff from time to time, but if I want to continue to buy organic milk and meat then I'm not going to be able to buy it anyway. I don't care for it myself and I'm getting the girls accustomed to good home food.

I made a comment to my mom today about how much pre-packaged foods my sister buys, and how could she afford them. My mom came back by saying that she doesn't buy organic milk or free range farm eggs..."AND"...so by buying cheap crappy eggs and milk she is saving enough to buy pre-packaged convient foods! That's much better is'nt it. I told her I'd rather make my own foods and have the money to buy the good organic dairy and meats.

Anyway, now I ramble.
#147 of 192 Old 09-26-2004, 01:23 PM

I have a few updates: the postmaster wouldn't mail my kefir grains this week. They are too wierd and the USPS workers might freak out if the package is opened. LOL. I'll try again Monday. Though the problem is that we are in the sticks with one postmaster who is very perceptive. Perhaps we will have to come to some sort of an agreement.

We traveled 5 hours to Santa Cruz for an heirloom apple tasting event yesterday. I tasted 75 apples. It was a cool event and I loved the opportunity to taste all of those varieties. We will be planting a small orchard this winter and are coming up with our short list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr
I made a comment to my mom today about how much pre-packaged foods my sister buys, and how could she afford them.
This is actually an interesting issue. It is definitely cheaper to eat processed food than to be on an organic diet, but I think it is also cheaper to processed foods than whole foods. There is something seriously wrong with this world when poor folks can't afford vegetables.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#148 of 192 Old 09-26-2004, 03:05 PM
cjr

I have found it's cheaper to stay away from processed foods. Now, if I was making all my own foods and buying the mass produced eggs and milk then I would save a bundle on my grochery bill. But, by making my own granola bars, muffins, cookies, puddings I can afford to buy organic eggs, dairy and meats. The veggies are another story. I can only buy organic veggies if they are in the middle of the season. We go through so many veggies and fruits that it would litterally triple that part of my grochery budget. I'm saving to buy whole animals for the freezer, so that may make it more economical to buy more organic produce.

I would love to have gone to that apple festival. 75 different apples, how wonderful.

I made my own buttermilk yesturday, not sure if it worked. How to you know if it did'nt? It seemed to have set way faster then the book said it should, but I think my starter was pretty good. It smells the same as the starter buttermilk, but it's a little more seperated. I put it in the fridge and I will give it a good shake in the morning.
#149 of 192 Old 09-26-2004, 06:14 PM

I just wanted to say how much I you all and no matter how much we are picked on, or name called, or..or...you know...we are doing something good for our families.

Even if our own families think we're nutty drinking 'raw' milk and 'strange', at least to them, foods, and look at us funny for brewing strange looking things on our kitchen counters....

I have been busy last few days, so I've missed some of the posts....but I really do appreciate having found 'mothering.com' and just LOVE this forum and thread...

Ya know, we kinda skipped past September and maybe we should just start an 'October' NT thread haha!

Some answers to some questions I just now got around to reading:

You can ship Kombucha 'Scoby' in a plastic (double bagged) baggie with some of the tea as a cushion. They ship well.

I have not tried to ship the Kefir grains yet, I hope our post man won't look at me funny..hehe...I will have to pick up the USPS priority boxes tomorrow, but will probably be able to ship out two sets on Monday. I will double baggie them with some 'milk' as a cushion. I guess you could do the 'Dom's drying them thing, and ship that way...then they would take longer to reactivate, though...mmmm

This is a special to Toraji

This is a to any mammas that feel like their families (in laws), friends don't understand or appreciate us or what we're trying to do for our families.

Ok, sorry, having a warm fuzzy moment...Dh let me out of the house child free to go buy a new pair of tenny shoes and I am in a really good mood, found an $80 pair of shoes for $14 on clearance, and they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned!!!
#150 of 192 Old 09-26-2004, 06:38 PM

Heather,

That's how I've been shipping kefir grains and no one appears to have had a problem yet. I've shipped some in cushioned envelopes but I think I'll send the priority mail ones out in those video-sized boxes. And the only reason my husband had the problem is because the postmaster saw the baggies and thought they were wierd. Just pack them up in advance. I also intend to leave a note to USPS workers.

Congrats on the shoes.

AManda

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page