yogurt popsicle recipes anybody? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-11-2002, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds LOVES watermelon popsicles (just the watermelon buzzed in the blender). But he WON'T eat other kinds of fruit popsicles, like blueberry, strawberry, or grape. Those fruits have a natural tartness to them & I think that's why. Too puckery.

I'm wanting to get some of those fruits in, though (cause he won't eat 'em raw, either), in a yogurt popsicle. How do you make them? Do you just do the fruit and yogurt, or do you add vanilla & sweetener?

I'm going to experiment myself, but I'm just wondering if any of you have a tried-and-true popsicle technique for a picky fruit eater who likes stuff really sweet.

(also, does anybody add banana to popsicles? i wasn't sure how it'd freeze)
#2 of 8 Old 07-11-2002, 12:39 AM

We don't add fruit, but I have found that higher-fat yogurts make nicer popsicles because they don't get quite so crystalline when they freeze.
#3 of 8 Old 07-11-2002, 12:43 AM

I put some strawberries in first and puree, then add some unsweetened yogurt and blend in the blender. I added sugar the first time but it was too sweet since the berries were really ripe. So taste and decide if it needs sugar. There isn't really a wrong way to do it, it depends on how fruity you want it.

Have fun it was yummy.
#4 of 8 Old 07-11-2002, 09:07 AM

Frozen bananas!

My dd like to peel the banana, cut it in half and put a coffee stick in them, then she dip the banana halfs in melted chocolate to coat them and we froze them on a waxed or parchemin paper.

You can also put your banana in with your other fruits in the blender to make your popsicles. (we like banana puree mixed with orange or pineapple juice - drink it or froze it! )

Valérie   
#5 of 8 Old 07-11-2002, 06:27 PM

I make these all of the time.

I make a smoothie- something like this

unsweetened yogurt
banana
additional fruit- mango, berries, etc.
sprinkle of ground flax seed
sprinkle of toasted wheat germ

whirl it around and taste for sweetness- add a little honey or maple syrup if it is too tart. I give Eli a cup and freeze the rest in popsicles. He loves them.
#6 of 8 Old 07-18-2002, 02:12 AM

I made blueberry and yogurt popsicles today and was pretty disappointed. They taste too sour and are icy. I was hoping for creamy and fruity. I guess I'll keep experimenting! DD loves them, of course, just as they are!
#7 of 8 Old 07-18-2002, 10:09 AM

z-girl,

are you using whole milk yogurt of fat-free. I think the whole milk yogurt makes better popsicles. Also, someone on another thread reccomended adding a little heavy cream to make frozen yogurt less icy. Blueberries aren't very sweet, maybe add a banana to add sweetness?

-jeanie
#8 of 8 Old 07-18-2002, 09:08 PM

I used whole milk. Yeah, I agree, a banana would add nice creaminess and sweetness. I have all summer to tinker!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page