Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 08-11-2004, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mamajaza*

Important Fact

If everyone in our country went on a raw food diet, what do you think would happen? Most people would get very sick. Some might even die. Most people cannot handle raw foods because their digestive tracts have already been ruined. People need to rebuild the digestive system, but before they can do that they must cleanse the digestive system. This includes cleansing and rebuilding the liver, the pancreas, and the stomach. They must also build up their alkaline reserve. If we really want to be healthy, strong, and 100% free of disease, we all need to eat raw food that has all its natural ingredients, which is usually found only in food organically grown in naturally balanced soil. Remember this: Only healthy people can live entirely on a raw food diet.

This information is written by a doctor who strongly believes in eating raw foods and cleansing before taking that leap of health.
Acutally this isn't really true. I think this person is saying this because he is selling products that can help people cleanse.

I am a raw foodist, but not the type of raw food any of you are discussing. I eat mostly raw animal foods (by that I don't mean food you give to animals ).

If the body needs to detox at anytime, it will. A few people begin to detox at the same time they begin a raw diet, but that is coincidental. A raw diet allows an individual to cleanse on a regular basis.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#32 of 43 Old 08-11-2004, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
uccomom~What do you mean by "eating raw animal foods". Do you eat raw meat?

What makes you think this is not true, what I copied and pasted from richard anderson's site? It seems to make sense to me. There are people who *have* died or gotten really sick from eating a raw foods diet before doing a strong cleanse.
#33 of 43 Old 08-11-2004, 10:19 PM

Quote:
uccomom~What do you mean by "eating raw animal foods". Do you eat raw meat?

What makes you think this is not true, what I copied and pasted from richard anderson's site? It seems to make sense to me. There are people who *have* died or gotten really sick from eating a raw foods diet before doing a strong cleanse.
Yes, I do eat raw meat. I follow the Primal Diet by Aanjonus Vonderplanitz. As I said in my post, our bodies detox when we need it. Given that we take in toxins through cooked food, the environmental poisons and chemicals (mostly medications), our bodies are extremely toxic and we are detoxing almost all the time.

I am in no doubt people have gotten sick and died on a raw vegetable food diet because they were not taking in the necassary nutrients to rejuvenate cells that have been destoyed by toxins, so their bodies can no longer survive. Proper healing takes place when the body reproduces cells to repopulate cells destroyed by toxins. So whether you cleanse or not before starting a raw food is meaningless, provided you are giving your body the right tools to heal itself. When on an appropriate raw diet, and I don't believe a raw vegan diet is appropriate for humans, a person will be getting everything they need to cleanse their bodies of the toxins. The only food that can regenerate cells is, believe it or not, raw meat. It is the only protein that provides for nerve-tissue regeneration and cellular reproduction.

Humans are not designed to live on raw vegetation like herbivores. We only have one stomach unlike the 4 - 6 of most herbivores. Herbivores also have 60,000 times more enzymes them we do to obtain the fat and proteins from vegetation and grains. Vegetation passes through an herbivores digestive system in about 48 hours. In our digestive tracts, vegetable complete their journey in 24 hours. Only a fraction of the cellulose is digested, 65 per cent of the protein and fat are undigested. While our intestinal shape is like some frugivores who eat mainly fruit. When humans eat a large amont of fruit they become unhealthy with such issues as osteoporosis, tooth degeneration, anxiety, dryness, diabetes, hyperactivity, ADD, ADHD, over-emotionality and temperature sensitivity. Unlike pure frugivores and herbivores, we mainly have an acidic digestive tract, including bacteria that facilitate the prevention and reversal of cancer. Eating more than a little high-carb fruit over alkalinizes the intestines which destroys our ability to combine many foods and impairs the natural acidic environment of our bowels.

I eat this way not because I enjoy it, although it is now getting to the stage where I no longer crave cooked foods at all, but because I wish to be disease-free into my old age. I do not want to die of cancer, or any other degenerative disease, and it is my belief that the Primal Diet will help me achieve this. Our bodies have evolved for millions of years digesting raw food, and mostly raw animal food, and we need to return to the diet of our ancestors to truly thrive.

PS: No I am not concerned about bacteria, and I have never gotten bacterial food poisoning from eating raw meat, eggs or dairy. But that is a whole other post!

ETA: My youngest, now 4.5, was also born free in the caul, so we do have *something* in common!

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#34 of 43 Old 08-12-2004, 12:01 AM

There is so much contradictory information out there. I was eating a lot of raw foods for a couple of years, then I heard (reading about ayurveda) that you should not eat too many raw foods because it can cause you to become too ungrounded and Vata(ayurvedic term) so I've basically stopped trying to eat all raw.

anyways, I don't want to write a book.....NAK... what about WILD foods??? The primal and raw foods diets should really include those ancient foods to be optimally healthy, I believe. It should'nt just be all about fruits and veggies that you buy from the store.

about the primal diet. Do you buy meat at the store? do you only eat organic meat? I'm just curious. i did not know that there were people doing this, but it turns my stomache when I think of eating raw chicken or beef, for example.

i have a newborn baby, so I have to tend to her.
#35 of 43 Old 08-12-2004, 01:12 AM

Quote:
There is so much contradictory information out there. I was eating a lot of raw foods for a couple of years, then I heard (reading about ayurveda) that you should not eat too many raw foods because it can cause you to become too ungrounded and Vata(ayurvedic term) so I've basically stopped trying to eat all raw.

anyways, I don't want to write a book.....NAK... what about WILD foods??? The primal and raw foods diets should really include those ancient foods to be optimally healthy, I believe. It should'nt just be all about fruits and veggies that you buy from the store.

about the primal diet. Do you buy meat at the store? do you only eat organic meat? I'm just curious. i did not know that there were people doing this, but it turns my stomache when I think of eating raw chicken or beef, for example.

i have a newborn baby, so I have to tend to her.

Mamajaza you are so right about all the conflicting info out there. The only thing to do is to IMO is to follow your gut (no pun intended) and do what you feel is right for you and your family. I truly believe Aajonus' diet is the right diet for me and DH feels that too -- both of us were vegetarians before. My children don't eat raw meat, at least the younger two don't, my 14 year loves raw meat and asks for it, but she also eats a lot of junk when out of the house, but that is her choice.

I have to say I am not very convinced by Ayuravedic teachings/medicine. The numbers of people on the Aajonus diet is probably quite small but growing. His cancer cure rate is, I believe around 95 %, providing his clients don't do chemo or radiation therapy. Aajonus cured his own terminal cancer on this diet over 30 years ago. If you ever have the time do a google search on him and you will pull an intereting interview with him and his webpage on his two books, "We Want to Live" and "The Recipe for Living Without Disease". He is also quite the activist and is the Executive Director of the not-for-profit-organization Right to Choose Healthy Food.

I only eat pastured meat. I do eat raw fish, but only wild caught ocean fish. I do have trouble with eating raw chicken and turkey because of the texture and only rarely eat it. But is very beneficial as raw chicken and poultry helps build and regenerate connective tissue, nerves, lymph, skin and tissue in general.

#36 of 43 Old 08-13-2004, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

With all due respect, Uccomama, NO THANKS. :LOL If it works for you, so be it, but I can't even stand the thought of eating the cooked stuff.

I've been raw for almost 3 days now, and it's been alot easier than I anticipated. I expected to be tired and have all kinds of cravings - not at all. I have alot of energy, and I've taken long walks everyday for the last 3 days. That is something I never had the energy to do before!

My horrendous and uncontrollable sweet tooth hasn't been around since I started. Maybe because I am getting alot of natural sugars with eating fruit. I am getting hungry more often, but overall I am not hungry. I am feeling really satisfied.

Not only am I not craving pizza, the thought of eating a pizza is kind of gross. I don't feel like my system could handle it. Pizza is my favorite food, I thought for sure I wouldn't last 3 days without ordering one!

I am eating alot of fruits and veggies, mana bread (a sprouted grain and date bread), and raw sunflower seeds on my avocado sandwiches (made with raw sprouted grain tortillas). I am thinking about switching to 'mostly' raw and eating some hummus, that sounds good to me right now.

The gado gado made me really nauseated, dh too. Maybe the peanuts were bad. it was icky!

flowersforyou.gif

#37 of 43 Old 08-13-2004, 11:30 PM

Good for you Attila the Honey!

I found the first days were a blurr ... and the first two months were easy but after that .... whew!
My dp is/was a chocolate addict and he compensates with honey. He gets this huge tub of raw honey locally and eats lots of it! With cucumbers is his favorite snack. That might help with your sweet tooth, too.
Ds loves the raw pizza we can get at the market here, but it's only once a week and we've missed it twice now.
I'm glad to hear that you feel great. I don't get access to the internet very often here but I would love to help you if you have any more questions. I am still new but I've done lots of experimenting and dp and I are a bit food crazy so we've done lots of researching too.
though most raw fooders don't drink (the addiction thing), Wine is raw and fermented, though not every kind is.
#38 of 43 Old 08-14-2004, 01:14 AM

I try to eat sprouted grain bread as much as possible instead of regular. I eat manna or Ezekiel bread exclusively (with the occational regular bread that I get dumpster dove by my brother) I find I have so much more energy with just that one change.

Raw is definately the way to go to ultimate health. If I am feeling blah, I just eat a carrot, and voila!, I feel better. I'm finding it very hard right now to live up to my "health standards", because I have a 20 month old, and a cranky newborn. I'm relying on fast health foods like cereal and rice milk, instead of making oatmeal. But manna bread with alfalfa sprouts and cheese(: ) and sliced tomatoe is one thing that I feel good about eating, and it's fast!

Have any of you read the essene gospel of peace? Or have any of you done a parasite cleanse? I heard that it is imperative to succesful health.
#39 of 43 Old 08-14-2004, 01:18 AM

rawshell~another thing we have in common is being "always right" Virgos.
#40 of 43 Old 08-14-2004, 04:57 PM

Quote:
rawshell~another thing we have in common is being "always right" Virgos.
:LOL

We might not eat the same raw foods, but I too am a Virgo!!!

#41 of 43 Old 08-14-2004, 05:27 PM

us virgos are passionate about our dietary choices, thats for sure. I would be a lot more preachy, but I have a squirmy little baby in my arms who constantly needs my attention.
#42 of 43 Old 08-14-2004, 05:31 PM

wow- how did i miss this thread. there are a few other raw foodist type threads on mdc from the last couple years. you can do a search if you want to find them.

i've been 85% raw for about 4 years. at times i was about 99%, and at other times i dropped to about 60%. in fact, i was 99%, but when i got preggers i had morning sickness so bad that i couldn't drink my juices or eat certain raw veggies anymore, so i re-introduced cooked foods back in. after i got re-addicted, it has been very hard to go back. my dd has always had a sensitive tummy, so i couldn't consume dark greens, my superfood drink, and a couple other things after she was born. i still can't drink superfood, but can have dark greens now. speaking of, i think that dark greens are the secret. they alone contain almost everything you need- iron, protein, vitamins..... they are amazing, and are what are missing from many people's diets.

while i was going raw the first time, i did a super cleanse- parasitic and everything. i'd highly recommend it. i think it is important, bc without doing some cleansing first, the body won't be able to absorb all the nutrients from the food. very important.

i am totally ready to do another cleanse, but am breastfeeding, so i can't. before i got preggers, i did a serious cleanse every 6 months.

right now i am about 85% raw. i drink 3 juices a day, and eat two large salads a day. i eat some cooked veggies, and brown rice sometimes. because my 20 mo old dd gets most of her food intake from my bm, i am hungry a lot, and so at least psychologically feel the need to have more dense foods in my diet at this time. but i would like to clean out my diet in the near future. being re-addicted is hard.

i have survived w.o a dehydrator- we have a juices and a vitamix. we keep our meals simple. on special occassions we make raw cakes/pies/ ect. but other wise it is very simple and easy.

it is hard in the winter- but we drink lots of teas, and try to have our veggies at room temp if we can. also, the vitamix will "heat" up our raw soups. it is really neat. we also eat hot things- chiles and garlic- to heat up things. we also eat more nuts and olives in the winter. less fruits.

ok, gotta run.....
#43 of 43 Old 08-15-2004, 02:54 AM

I'm glad that someone agrees with me about doing cleansing before going all raw! I totally agree about eating your greens, too. I admit that I haven't been keeping up with it, but I used to have a *huge* bowl of salad every day with kale and other yummy stuff.
I *wish* I had my own personal chef/dishwasher

I've been trying to eat tonnes of probiotics recently, because I think my babes have thrush. What is contained within "good quality" probiotics?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page