Homemade baby food and carrots - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-07-2004, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just have a quick question about making homemade baby foods. I was visiting a (fairly mainstream) friend and we were chatting as she was feeding her 6 mo old. DH and I have been talking about ttc our first soon, so I mentioned to my friend that I would possibly like to make some of our baby food when the time comes. She said that some foods, especially carrots, should not be prepared homemade. She said that regular grocery store carrots are different from carrots used in preparing baby food. While ideally I would only make baby food from organic fruits and veggies or produce from the farmer's market, I wondered what in the world could be so bad that you absolutely should not make your own but processed is okay (this was how she presented it). I asked her to copy for me or email the article where she read this information, but in the meantime I thought I'd try to find out on my own.

So, first question - what is she talking about regarding the carrots? And second question - other than common sense, what precautions need to be taken, foods avoided, etc. when making homemade baby foods?

Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 08-08-2004, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I don't remember much detail but it has something to do with a toxin that carrots absorb from the soil, so processed is supposedly safer bacause the jar would contain carrots from multiple sources, rather than from one plot of land. I really don't remember if it was a pesticide or what though. Read it long ago and I have terminal mama brain.
#3 of 4 Old 08-08-2004, 10:00 AM

I think that root veggies can absorb a lot of nitrates that occur naturally in a lot of soil but I just looked in my superbabyfood book and she doesn't mention it at all so maybe it is kind of an old wives tale. She says feed baby carrots at 7 months.
I heard that babyfood companies test the soil but again, I'm not sure if I believe it. You could ask your doctor.
#4 of 4 Old 08-08-2004, 10:44 AM

"High-nitrate vegetables, such as beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, celery, collard greens, lettuce, spinach and turnips, should not be fed to babies in large quantities. The naturally occurring nitrates in these vegetables can change to nitrites, which bind iron in the blood and make it difficult to carry oxygen. This can make it hard to breathe and cause the skin to become blue. Limit the serving size of these vegetables to one to two tablespoons per feeding." (Univ. Maine Agricultural Extension)

But I've also been told that after approx 6 mo of age, babies' bodies are less likely to convert nitrates into nitrites.

Another thing though, is that the "thing" out there with some of the highest #s of PPM Nitrates is .. you guessed it, water. Nitrate poisoning is EXTREMELY rare, and most often is traced back not to food, but to contaminated well water.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page