Lactose intolerance? Rash? *UPDATE* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2004, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I'm not too sure where to post this so if it needs to be moved sorry!

My DS is 10 months old. When he was almost 8 months I was told yogurt would be okay. I fed him a little and he broke out in a rash, mainly on his face and neck. I asked his dr and she said to stay away from yogurt for a couple months then try again, it might just have been a fluke. Well, fastforward to last week. DS has an ear infection and is on antibiotics. To try and prevent thrush I gave him a little yogurt today. Within minutes the rash started. These pics were taken about 3 hours after he ate the yogurt (about 1/4 cup).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...100_1615-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...100_1626-2.jpg

It covered his face, neck, stomach and chest, back, and butt.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Could it be lactose intolerance? The only other milk product he's had is cheese (cheddar and mozerella) and doesn't get a rash with those. Thank you for any insight!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2004, 12:19 AM

My ds is lactose intolerant but can have yogurt. This is what I have read about it:

Quote:
Yogurt is safe because it comes predigested. In one of nature's small miracles, the bacteria in yogurt take over for the missing enzyme and digest much of the milk sugar for you.
http://www.healthcastle.com/herb_lact.shtml

Is it possible he has a milk protien allergy? Or maybe is allergic to the fruit or something else in the yogurt?
Old 08-09-2004, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishshack
Is it possible he has a milk protien allergy? Or maybe is allergic to the fruit or something else in the yogurt?
Do you know how I would find out about the milk protien allergy? He's breastfed and doesn't have a problem with my milk (I don't drink cows milk but do have ice cream, cheese, and an occaisional yogurt). I'm pretty sure it's not the fruit in the yogurt. I purposely picked one I know he'd had the fruit before (cherries today, pears were the first time). Thanks!

Old 08-09-2004, 12:35 AM

No mean for alarm and of course i am not a dr, but that looks like an allergy to me.

I am also struggling with a lactose intolerance in my dd, but she gets constiapated. but she does have a egg allergy! when i gave her scrambled egg one day she had hives wherever the egg touched her skin! we had her tested and it can back positive.

I do know that if you stay away from whatever it is that causes teh reaction, i should go away-eventually! i would definently stay away from yogurt for now and maybe try again in 6-12 months.

HTH

Allyn birthmom to S 3/12/03, placed in open adoption 4/06, married to W 6/22/07, mama to H 2/5/08, mama to M 8/26/12.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:03 AM

Hi Stephanie!

It's *very* rare for a baby to be lactose intolerant--our breastmilk contains lactose. Even peds. who don't understand allergies will excuse a mild dairy allergy as an intolerance.

Our ds2 has multiple food allergies and is anaphylactic to dairy. Your son's reaction doesn't appear to be a serious allergy, but it can increase with repeated exposures. He may not react to cheese because of the distribution of the proteins but that doesn't guarantee that he won't react in the future. Avoidance allows the immune system to quiet down so that hopefully, in time, it will "forget" to respond to the allergen; constant or consistent exposure keeps it on hyper-alert. Some of our son's numbers are already going down (he's 2); nothing's negative yet, but we do have hopes that in the next year or so, we'll start gaining some food. We don't expect him to ever outgrow dairy, but wheat, eggs and soy would be nice.

Anyway, even if you choose not get him tested right now, I'd hold off on the dairy (even the cheese) for at least 6 months.

HTH!

Missy
Old 08-09-2004, 01:20 AM

DD#1 gets little red bumps (similiar to your son's) around her mouth when she eats yogurt, cream cheese, but not hard cheeses(cheddar). I didn't introduce yogurt until she was about a year and her ped said to stay off all milk products for a few months and try again. He said most kids grow out of these allergies. I ate cheese and yogurts, but it didn't seem to affect her(so I think). DD#1 is almost 4 years old and has the same reaction to dairy products. I think (I'm no expert at this) that she was probably affected by the dairy products I consumed but not showing an outward reaction. The ped thinks at this point she probably will not grow out of it. So if I were to do it all over again (which I am with dd#2), I'll take out dairy products from my diet. Good luck with your baby.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone! The rash isn't gone this morning, but it's not as bright red either. I'll hold off on the diary for now, he goes to the dr wednesday anyway so I'll mention it to him and see what to do. Thanks again!

Old 08-09-2004, 02:57 PM

What brand, type and flavor yogurt did you give your Ds?

Do beware of 'light' yogurts, they have artificial sweeteners in them usually and can cause reactions.

My Ds can't have anything with citric acid added to it, or OJ...he gets a severe rash, but can eat strawberries!
Food allergies are funny things...
Old 08-09-2004, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

The first time it was YoBaby pear yogurt. The second time it was Walmart brand cherry yogurt. It was not light. Here is the ingredient list on the cherry one...

Grade A cultured lowfat milk
sugar
fructose corn syrup
dark sweet cherries
whey protein concentrate
food starch-modified
nonfat dry milk
natural flavor
gelatin
grape skin extract
carmine (colors)
citric acid

Does anything stick out to anyone that could be causing it? Other than the milk and citric acid? I want to make sure I know all the options for when I talk to his dr wednesday.

Heather- how did you discover it was the citric acid your ds can't eat? My ds eats oranges with no problems

Old 08-09-2004, 09:54 PM

I basically stopped allowing him to have any citrus type fruits, and no juices for a few days. The rash cleared up almost immediately. Then I re-introduced one food or drink at a time, giving it a day or so to see if he developed any rashes.

100% orange juice or fruit - bad rash
'artificial' orange, such as Tang (sister gave him some : ) - bad rash
apple juice with 'citric acid' added to preserve it - bad rash
Organic apple juice - no problems

He can eat apples, strawberries, (all fruits, except citrus ones) with no problems. But when he gets stuff with citric acid added, he gets rash (like applesauces, etc)

The only things in the ingredient list, removed from cheese, but that is still in or added to the yogurt, would be whey, citric acid, corn syrup and some flavorings.

Hope that helps. The doc might have you try an 'elimination diet' and add in one thing at a time, trying to narrow down the 'offending' ingredient.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:18 PM

FYI--citric acid is not alway from a citrus base. It can also be derived from corn. Ds2 reacts to both so, in the end, it really doesn't matter to us, but that might open up a few things for you.

Missy
Old 08-09-2004, 10:21 PM

Hey Steph...didn't Owen break out when he had yobaby too? Yobaby doesn't have any of those additional things like the yogurt you posted... The only thing in common with the two yogurts was the milk...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 08-09-2004, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

Heather- I'm thinking it's probably not the citric acid since he does fine with citric fruit. Thanks for the thoughts!

He doesn't eat a lot of cheese so I wonder if it's just not enough for him to break out in a rash with the cheese? I give him shredded cheese and he actually eats maybe 2 or 3 shreds- so not much at all.

Thanks Ally! That's just what I was going to ask you! Is there whey in the YoBaby?

I remembered a little bit ago that 3 or 4 months ago I gave him a little taste of sour cream- he got a little rash around his mouth. I didn't give him a lot (just a lick from my finger) but there was definatly a rash there. The sour cream has milk and whey in common.

Old 08-09-2004, 10:36 PM

Yeah, but there's whey in every yogurt I think...that's just the clear liquid that drains off when you make yogurt cheese... LOL!!

I doubt 2 or 3 shreds of cheese would give him the same reaction as a cup of yogurt.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 08-09-2004, 11:38 PM

here is the ingredient list from a yobaby that i have in the fridge! apple flavor,

cultured pateruized organic whole milk
milled organic sugar
organic apple puree
inulin
natural flavors
pectin
organic spices (cinnamon and nutmeg)
and the live cultures

that is mostly the same for the blueberry one too, except the flavor. but it looks like no whey.

HTH

Allyn birthmom to S 3/12/03, placed in open adoption 4/06, married to W 6/22/07, mama to H 2/5/08, mama to M 8/26/12.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:14 AM

My dd2 had the same rash when i was eating dairy and any dairy products. For her it was on her face and neck and everytime that I bf her it would go bright red. I assume that she is allergic to milk. my dr is to mellow to check so I'm just going with my instinct. I now don't eat any and she is now a happy baby. It took her about a full wk for the rash and other symptoms of the allergies to go away. Hope he feels better soon.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Old 08-10-2004, 02:21 PM

Yes, whey is in every 'cultured' product (yogurt, sour cream, etc). But it's 'drained off' for all cheese making, leaving only the 'curd' to make into various cheeses.

It could very well be the whey. Someone posted that whey is an allergen to many.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I took him to his regular dr today and he says he's definatly reacting to something. I take him to get the allergy test done next friday. Until then no dairy for him.

Old 08-11-2004, 11:40 PM

good luck at the allergist!

Old 08-20-2004, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Back from the allergist. He is allergic to corn the most, followed by egg, and lastly he had a *tiny* reaction to milk. Not enough to be allergic, in the doctors eyes, but the doctor was honestly a moron and was pushing for me to wean DS onto either milk (at 10 months! After he *just* said he had a little reaction to it!) or formula. I have done a little research since I got back and babies who are allergic to corn should not have almost any formula. I take everything that dr said with a grain of salt because, honestly, he didn't seem very knowledgable to me. He didn't even give me ANY information. Just told me he was allergic to corn and egg, pushed me to wean, and that was it. He was a moron. Oh well. Okay, so the one yogurt he had last had corn syrup in it, which would be why he reacted. But the YoBaby doesn't have any, that I can tell. Not sure what's up with that but thinking that might have been the *tiny* milk allergy? Who knows. So now the fun starts- trying to feed DS (allergic to corn and egg) and 2 year old sister (allergic to wheat, peanuts, and tree nuts).

Old 08-21-2004, 06:01 PM

My son had the exact same rash a few weeks ago from milk that was put in his eggs. He does have a milk protien intollerance and someone didn't remember this (dh) when cooking! He was is a FF baby and on a non- milk based formula. I dunno why but he tollerates yogurt well??? He also does cheese well just milk that he has theproblem with.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:08 PM

Hi!

I'm glad you got some answers, but corn is a serious pain in the rear; it's been our most difficult allergen--and our list is huge. Make sure you know all the possible derivatives, which are pretty much found in any processed food. You had mentioned citric acid as a concern; as I said in an earlier post, that can be corn. Also, dextrose (found in table salt), maltodextrose, msg, glycerine, sorbitol, absorbic acid, calcium stearate, malic acid, and glucose and a thousand other things are all possible corn derivatives. Many manufacturers/pharmacists will tell you that all the protein has been removed from the final product and it is therefore impossible to react to, for example, sorbitol. Bunch of meaningless hooey. It is impossible to remove every trace of protein and some kids are truly super-sensitive. White sugar is processed with corn, as is bleached white flour. Brown sugar contains a molassas that has corn. Powdered sugar and most baking powders have corn starch. We use raw sugar in place of both white sugar and brown sugar; featherweight baking powder is made with potato starch; and I've just stopped using powdered sugar (there's a way to make it using potato starch or arrowhead starch, but it's not the hassle). We cook primarily with whole foods, makes life a lot easier. Even canned foods have corn-based preservatives. I always ask about meats, because they are frequently injected or sprayed with a corn or soy solution (or, increasingly, with dairy).

Good luck!! It's a lot easier when you have answers!
Missy
Old 08-23-2004, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Missy- do you have any favorite websites that gives you info on corn or egg allergies? Something that lists everything to avoid? Or, any websites or cookbooks to find recipies for food for him? My dad and I tried making pancakes this weekend- we could get around the no corn and no egg but it was the milk that made the difference between good pancakes and icky ones. I'm going to get some soy milk but any favorrite recipies out there?

Old 08-23-2004, 03:26 PM

Well I thought i would just say my response here,

about the egg allergy, and the milk one, you should totally get a second opinion b/c my dd is allergic to eggs and when i gave her scrambled eggs she broke out in hives! when i went to have her allergy test i asked about testing for other things and they told me that at her age (15mo)there are a lot of false positives. did they do the skin test or the blood test?

those 2 things could have come back positive and not really be correct, i would totally question is especially if you gave him eggs and he was fine.

good luck with the corn allergy. the only thing i would suggest for cook books are anything vegan. i have a friend who is rasing her kids that way b/c one of them has real bad food allergies.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:19 PM

Stephanie--

I've got a really good recipe for pancakes; it uses rice milk, but I think soy would work, too. It calls for wheat flour but I only use it with my older kids b/c we no longer keep any form of dairy in the house--too risky for us. I'll pm you with it a little later, if that's ok. I will also dig up a couple sites I've used for corn. The best resource for support and info that I've found is the yahoo list, POFAK. Very diverse group, crunchy and mainstream and everything in between, but I've gained so much from everyone's experiences and knowledge. Every time we're faced with something new, *someone* on POFAK has been there. There are also files that offer links to recipes and specific allergy info, such as hidden ingredients and substitutions: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POFAK/

Quote:
those 2 things could have come back positive and not really be correct, i would totally question is especially if you gave him eggs and he was fine.
False positives are far more likely under 12 months of age and with the presence of many food allergies. We were fortunate to have ds2's SPT test at 6 months support his reactions; there were no false positives and only one false negative. Also, kids have been known to tolerate an allergen briefly and then suddenly start reacting, sometimes severely. It would be much safer to just avoid egg right now; it's one of the easiest allergies to deal with and it doesn't hurt anything to err on the side of caution.

Missy
Old 08-23-2004, 10:27 PM

I agreee w/Missy you should check out the POFAK group. The have files that will link you to many sites that tell you the many names of corn and some wierd places you find it (like baby wipes) and the such!
Old 08-23-2004, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Allyn and Missy!

re: false positives- I've been thinking and wondering about that too. The egg one especially. But, like Missy said, I would rather err on the side of caution so Saturday we started egg, corn, and diary free. I plan to get a second opinion but until I can do that I'm not risking anything.

"False positives are far more likely under 12 months of age"

DS is only 10 months so it's possible it is a false positive. Do you know how common false negatives are? I still think the milk is a bigger allergy than the dr says. I can't for the life of me explain the reaction the the YoBaby yogurt, if he's not allergic to milk. I emailed them (YoBaby) last week and they assured me they don't have corn or egg in their yogurt. Which makes me think the milk is what made him react. His biggest reaction was from the walmart yogurt- which had corn and milk in it. He's never reacted to anything else with corn in it (that I know of, he's never reacted with a big rash anyway) so I'm thinking that the combination of the corn and milk is what made him react so big last time. Does that make sense/seem possible?

I'll check out that yahoo site when I get a minute! Oh, and I would love the recipie when you get a spare minute. No hurry though

Old 08-23-2004, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

cross posted..... thanks lilgsmommy!

Old 08-24-2004, 03:28 AM

You can also go here:

Foods you can eat

they have some great recipes for food allergies

User Tag List