Poll: How much time do you spend in the kitchen? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: How much time do you spend in the kitchen on an average day?
An hour or less 8 28.57%
About two hours 6 21.43%
Three to four hours 10 35.71%
Variable 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-15-2002, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mums, so how long do you spend in the kitchen daily? I mean, preparing food- breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, baking bread, muffins, cookies, etc. Do you find you spend more time when you are a SAHM, or less when you need to work? Do you dread the kitchen? Or do you simply love it and spend hours in there? Once I watch a long series of German movie and it showed how the kitchen is the center of the house, because the mother was in it all day, preparing food of some kind, and visitors just come in and sit in the kitchen to sit and chat, and the kids also just come in and sit and pick at the food and talk. It's also about the same in my house too...
#2 of 8 Old 07-15-2002, 03:23 PM

I voted an hour or less, but it's probably a little bit more because I forgot about dishes. I usually cook dinner in half an hour and lunch in 15 minutes or less, and then just snacks and breakfast (which is usually toast or cereal).
#3 of 8 Old 07-15-2002, 07:01 PM

Waaaay too much time.

With fruit and vegetable prep, dishes, cooking, baking, etc I am in there almost from the minute I wake up (after we nurse) to when I am getting ready for bed (by putting one last load in the dishwasher before we go in to bed)

I bake bread, make almost all our meals (including Daddy's lunch everyday). And I have a toddler helper, which slows things down a bit.

Right now, for example, I have biscotti in the oven baking and am getting ready to go in and do some vegetable prep for dinner tonight (We are having risotto with summer vegetables, so I will need to clean and chop summer squash, green beans, carrots, and romanesco cauliflower. We are also having bruschetta with tomatoes, onions and basil, but since that needs to be really fresh, I will make it while I am stirring the risotto later.)

I've always spent this much time in the kitchen though, even before having a baby.

J
#4 of 8 Old 07-15-2002, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

I voted variable myself, but think I spend a whole load of time in the kitchen.
Breakfast is easy- cereal or just toast or bagels; lunch is normally extras from the previous night's dinner, or if there are no extras, I make a quick noodle soup or smth. Dinner is our main meal, despite reading 1000 times that it's supposed to be the lightest meal.... It usu takes me abt 45-60 min to prepare the vegetables- chop, mince, grate, slice, julienne, marinate, etc. Actual cooking can be 20-40 mins, depending on what's on the menu.
Then I try to make my own bread. And I try to always have some healthy home-made snacks like muffins, apricot bars, or cookies around. And once a week I cook up a big pot of vegetable stock.
phew.
Then some days dh comes home and I tell him, "I'm on cooking strike today.", then either he'll make some quick ravioli, or we put a pizza in the oven, or we just have some bread with cheese or some home-made spread. We hardly eat out or take out.
I enjoy cooking n see it as an nurturing act, but some days I feel I'm just stuck there!
#5 of 8 Old 07-16-2002, 02:18 PM

I voted for variable cause it depends on the day, who's home when, etc.

But in my opinion, whatever it is, it's usually waaaay tooooo much!

I do love to cook, just not everyday and all the time. It forces me to forgo my creativity and be too darn practical.

I do have fun with it on weekends, though. I usually try new recipies on either Fri or Sat night.
#6 of 8 Old 07-17-2002, 09:48 PM

I'm sorry, are we allowed to leave the kitchen? I live in my kitchen. We just had it remodeled, thank goodness. It's so much more workable now. I spend at least half of my day in there. Less in the summer, I'll admit, but still plenty. Someone always wants something and I love to cook and bake. I like to prepare meals from scratch. I don't mind most days.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#7 of 8 Old 07-21-2002, 07:22 PM

I'm along the lines of Granola. At least three to four hours. When it's really hot, like this weekend, I move at least suppers out to the grill. That helps. But, ds is so comfy in the kitchen, his regular play spots are under the sink with the taters and onions, and in the cupboard full of plastic storage containers!
My feet actually hurt at the end of some days from huors spent barefoot and in the kitchen...if only I were pg! (*sigh*)
I love to cook, though, and to try new things, and I make a lot of very slow, quite labor-intensive ethnic foods, and I bake my own bread (not so much the past month, I admit!), so that automatically adds time.
#8 of 8 Old 07-30-2002, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

wow, I'm glad when I look at the voting results.... seems like it's normal to spend 3-4 hours in the kitchen, huh??
PHEW!!
Some days I just wonder if I am going to mutate into some kitchen cooking creature, and always just rotating my space from kitchen counter to refrigerator to cooking stove to oven, LOL!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page