A ? for those who grind their own flour. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2004, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
cjr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to Montana in a couple of weeks and want to get some wheat berries from Wheat Montana. How much should I get? I was going to get at least 50lbs, but will that be enough? I do all my own baking and once I get a new bread machine or mix master, will be making my own bread to. It will be about a year before I will get back down that way, and I know once I start using fresh ground w.w. flour I will not want to go back to store bought. I want to get their Prairie Gold, which is supposed to be excellent for baking of all sorts.

I'm also picking up brown rice, will 25lbs be enough or should I go for 50lbs? Dried beans (because I'm sick of buying old tough beans from the grochery store), flax seeds, alfalfa seeds (to sprout), 7 grain cereal mix, rolled oats, and wheat bran. If you have any experience with bulk purchasing please give me a good quantity estimate. I will be spending around $200, but it I should have enough staples to last a year.
PS-dh thinks I'm crazy for going to Montana to buy wheat, we live in Alberta. :LOL He does not understand that I want this particular wheat and I want the assurance of quality. This farm is not certified organic, but they give a very good explanation why they are not and do not use any chemicals and test regularily residues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2004, 05:24 PM

I have the Prairie Gold Spring White Wheat (favorite, gives stuff a light golden brown color) and Winter Red wheats. I also have some other stuff from them. I LOVE the quality.
You will NOT be dissapointed.

I am assuming it's you, DH and I didn't notice how many or if you have children. I think the rough estimate is 50 pounds per person/per year (assuming this is all you are using for bread products, no supplimental buying.)

One of their big buckets (and I would suggest getting your grains in buckets) will last a long time, they are 45 lb buckets.

I would say, two buckets of wheat, one/two of rice (again, depending on how often you eat it..can always make rice milk with it), one or two of beans if you use them alot and perhaps one of whole oat groats (if you like oatmeal or making cookies with it, but make sure you have a flaker for grinding the oats if you like them 'flaked').

The wheat 'fluffs up' when you grind it, so 5 cups of wheat berries is more like 8+ cups of ground flour.

This is ALOT of weight in your vehicle...so if you have room to store this back home, and can comfortably drive with it to your destination...then perhaps splurge and get some extras for emergency and/or family members wanting to try it.

The 7 grain mix is wonderful for making cookies...however I was concerned with storing it for a long period of time and the grains in it going rancid or losing nutritional value over time. I just bought the 'intact grain' versions of what's in it, and grind/flake it fresh now. (OMG I LOVE the new FLAKER I bought!!!)

Just store the stuff in buckets (I keep them in basement and a few in closet near kitchen). I remove a few weeks worth into smaller glass containers to keep in kitchen for convenience, and reseal the buckets. I always refrigerate any grains once they are flaked or ground, if I have made too much for immediate (same day) use.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
cjr

Thank you so much! We drive an SUV : (I know, we are trying so hard to get our finances together so we can get a better veihicle), we are taking our cloths and diapers and that's it. I may have to concentrate on the important products for now though.

I will be using the wheat for myself, dh and our two girls (the little man is just beginning to eat foods). I am thinking that maybe I should get two bags of wheat berries, the 7-grain cereal mix, and the rice. I e-mailed the farm and she gave me the following shelf life time lines...

Wheat Bran 12 mo.
Flax Seed 24 mo.
Alfalfa Seed 60 mo.
Wheat Berries 60 mo.
7 Grain Flakes 12 mo.
Rice and Beans 60 mo.

She says the wheat berries will last indefinately, but they suggest sticking to the time line. Anyway, I did'nt realize how cheap it was to grind your own flour. She said if I pick it up from the farm and pre-pay I will get a wholesale price, I think it was just under $9/50lb bag of Prairie Gold wheat. I figure I would buy the flaked cereal to start with and just buy a hand grinder for the wheat (I don't want to put out any moola on an expensive grinder until I know for sure I will enjoy it, KWIM?). I also got these great plastic ice cream pails with tight fitting lids from our local ice cream shop. They were $1CAD for 5 pails. They are large enough to hold a good quantity of stuff, but small enough that I could carry them upstairs if needed.

Thanks for you help.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:57 PM

I've been meaning to ask this, I've heard that baking grains destroys all the vitamins, is that true? Doesn't taht defeat the purpose of grinding it yourself. Sorry this is a bit OT.

Thanks for the link. I really want to buy a grain mill and appreciate the info in this thread!

Yesterday I noticed this forum was quiet and then I realized, oh, Xenabyte hasn't posted!!
Old 08-18-2004, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatlady
I've been meaning to ask this, I've heard that baking grains destroys all the vitamins, is that true? Doesn't taht defeat the purpose of grinding it yourself. Sorry this is a bit OT.

Thanks for the link. I really want to buy a grain mill and appreciate the info in this thread!

Yesterday I noticed this forum was quiet and then I realized, oh, Xenabyte hasn't posted!!

Hahaha :rofl

Hey, I resemble that remark I was busy yesterday teaching myself to knit...what a PITA...but I think I got it!

Ahhhh, the wonders of the internet, you can learn just about anything! I want to make Ds2 a wool soaker, and g'ma gave me a bag of her yarn and some needles...and...and....I didn't want to waste it!

Re: Vitamin content and cooking.

Well, cooking at high temperatures does damage the live enzyme content of any food. Though it shouldn't affect mineral content, but I could see where it would affect some of the vitamins, like oil based ones. Another good reason to occasionally sprout and eat raw grains!

However, fresh ground grains are soooo loaded in vitamins and minerals, compared to denatured white flour, that I think it's still best to grind fresh, and soak if you can to neutralize any sprout inhibitors and increase the vitamin content even more. Low, slow cooking is a good idea, if time permits.

High heat in general destroys many of the benefits of all foods, but some foods (like certain vegetables)are better assimilated by cooking to break down the cellular walls and make the nutrients available to digest. It's best to eat a variety of raw and lightly cooked veges.

Unless you are burning your bread, I think it's still more nutritious to bake from fresh ground. The High Vitamin E content of a fresh ground wheat berry is very high. This vitamin E helps protect the other oils and vitamins from free radical damage.

There are some good bakery breads out there too (Like Rudy's Bakery Brand), if this is not an option.

But hey, if you read this somewhere and it's specifically saying ALL vitamin content is destroyed, please post a link. I'm always open to reading the latest findings. I would be a bit leary if this was coming from a 100% raw food site, but again, I'm always open to new info.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:59 PM

If you want a great Grain Mill, try a 'Grain Master Whisper Mill'. It grinds flour great, and they have a lifetime warranty ....and I erm...tested this a week ago. My grinder is back and working wonderfully already. I think turn around time was like a week and a half!

User Tag List