Where to begin - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-21-2002, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been telling myself for years that I need to swtich to a vegetarian diet. I don't think I could go to vegan not to begin with anyway. I will need to make this change slowly as I intend to make it a family change.

There are several reasons I want to make the change. Health, environment and faith. I won't bore you they why's.

What I need to know is how do you begin? Do you just cut out meats "cold turkey" so to speak or did you make a gradual change?

Another dilemma. It seems to me that eating healthier will be more expensive. Is this true? We are on a very tight budget as it is. I only have 75.00 a week to spend on groceries for a family of five.

Also I need to learn how to prepare healthier meals. Are there any really good and practical web sites with recipes and preparation tips? What about books?

I am a true SHOUTHERNER. I cook all those nice fattening, greasy fried food. We eat tons of starch and quite a bit of red meat. We fry almost everything. I know this isn't healthy for us. I am hypoglycemic and my family has a history of heart disease and diabetes so the change is really important.

When I found out I was hypoglycemic three years ago I told myself I would change my eating habits but old habits. I still have not made any changes. The main reason I have not is because I just don't know where to begin. When I go to the grocery store I find myself buying the same old thing.

If you have any suggestions I would appreciate if you will share them either here or email me privately if you prefer.

Bright Blessings,
Spirit
#2 of 5 Old 07-21-2002, 11:05 PM

Good for you that you want to make a healthy change to your diet.You really will feel the benefit and ahve a lot more energy.
Try reading "The complete idiots guide to being vegetarian",no insult intended honest
I like this book because it seems quite down to earth and gives practical suggestions about taking the first steps.
good luck.
#3 of 5 Old 07-21-2002, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE]
Try reading "The complete idiots guide to being vegetarian",no insult intended honest
QUOTE]

None taken, I like the Idiots Guides. LOL I didn't know there was one for vegetarians but I should have guessed there seems to be one for EVERYTHING.

I will check it out for sure. Thanks!!!

Spirit
#4 of 5 Old 07-21-2002, 11:32 PM

Your'e welcome Spirit
i just noticed on the back cover there is a web site,so you may be able to order a copy through it.www.mgr.com
I gave my meat eating husband veggie"chesse" the other day and he couldn't tell the difference
#5 of 5 Old 07-22-2002, 02:15 AM

Eating Vegetarian can be more expensive, or it can be cheaper, it really depends on how and what you cook.

Most of the world is much poorer than we, yet most of the world eats vegetarian.
:-D

Beans and rice (with cornbread), in various combinations, are inexpensive and yummy, I think. Eat your veggies in season, and they can be cheaper still.
I happen to love beans- I think a bowl of beans lightly salted is a deliicious meal- add some bread and cheese, and it's heavenly.
Dried beans are such a versatile food, though, that even people who aren't crazy about them can find some dish of beans that they find palatable.

Experiment- I found that my kids hated chili with kidney beans, but they loved it with pinto beans. They did like kidney beans mashed up into refried beans for burrito filling.

Good luck!

Kanga

One cookbook I really like is the Farm Cookbook- it's real food for real people with very real budgets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page