Reducing toddler's carbs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2002, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family is prone to diabetes, and I would like to start my daughter early on watching her intake of simple carbs. I was never taught to eat healthily, and still struggle with unhealthy cravings. She was unfortunately introduced to apple juice by my mother, and is in love with it. I successfully water it down half&half. I am still concerned, as she will only eat meat and bread. Can anyone offer suggestions to help her learn to eat right?

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2002, 08:40 PM

I think offering only whole grains is a good start. (whole wheat bread, brown rice, whole wheat pasta)
And there's no need for sugar in a toddler's (or anyone's) diet so there goes a lot of the simple carbs that lots of kids eat.
Offering lots of protein & veggies is also great.
I definitely wouldn't recommend a low-carb diet (which I'm on) for a kid but eliminating white flour & sugar can't hurt at all!
For the apple juice in particular I was raised on diluted apple juice! 1/2 & 1/2 is a great start, you could probably even go down to 1/3 juice/2/3 water gradually.

Good snacks:
natural sugar-free peanut butter in celery sticks
cheese chunks
fruit chunks & plain yogurt
steamed veggies with a dip

Knittin', knit.gifsingin', cookin' Sara , newly single, doting auntie.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:24 PM

Location: too close to a playground of the rich and famous to be able to afford rent, CO
I have a friend whose toddler got hooked on, of all things, chunks of raw tofu dipped in Annie's Naturals Goddess dressing! She liked fruit a lot at that age, but wasn't quite so excited about veggies, but on our women's group nights she scarfed down guacamole (simply made with avo, lime juice, garlic, chopped tomatoes and chopped onion) and also fresh salsa - she was more inclined to use the tortilla chip as a spoon than to actually eat it, so it just worked as a great way to get some fresh veggies in her diet.

In the original Moosewood cookbook I remember a recipe for tofu nut balls, can't recall everything in them, but the gist of it is that they are generally kid-friendly finger food.

My Dutch friend cooks mashed potatoes with red cabbage or kale - you just need to cook the ever-living heck out of it, so the veg is mushy too - and when you mash them you have purple or green mashed potatoes, which can be fun, plus a good nutrient boost, esp. if you use kale.

Ditto on changing those carbs to complex ones - I am personally someone who believes that complex carbs are a very important part of a healthy diet. Brown rice with some vanilla yogurt makes a nice, simple rice pudding. I love Kashi pilaf (the stuff you cook) topped with a poached egg. Add grated carrots to a cornbread or cornbread muffins. As a little kid, I would eat buckwheat pancakes (didn't need the butter or syrup all that much) every day! Smoothies made with soy or rice milk, sliced and frozen bananas, strawberries, and blueberries and a little crushed ice are tasty.

Good luck to you!

User Tag List