Too much sparkling mineral water? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-06-2004, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do any of you know if there is a reason to limit the amount of sparkling mineral water one drinks? As part of the changes I've made as I've worked on getting myself in shape and losing some weight, I've kept my refrigerator stocked with the cans of naturally flavored sparkling mineral water. They seem like a "treat" to me and they keep me from drinking extra calories in soda or juice (or beer!). But I'm wondering if I need to watch how much I drink. Am I getting too much of some mineral or are there negatives associated with drinking carbonation that I am ignorant of?

TIA for sharing your knowledge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 09-06-2004, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
This is advice absolutely void of nutritional expertise, LOL! But, where I live in Germany, people drink almost entirely sparkling water. From that little bit of information, I would say that there isn't anything wrong with it ~ and if the alternative is soda or beer...water wins, hands down!

Now, I’m off to finish my beer, LOL!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 10 Old 09-06-2004, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama

Now, I’m off to finish my beer, LOL!

Oh man, you just had to say that, didn't you! :LOL
Although considering I've been working all day on our Labor Day holiday, I think I've earned a non-diet approved adult beverage!
#4 of 10 Old 09-06-2004, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Oh definitely!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#5 of 10 Old 09-06-2004, 07:06 PM

I also grew up in Germany and this was the only water that was drunk. I don't see how it could be bad for you...I prefer Gerolsteiner 8 oz. contains 8% of the RDA for calcium. Whatever mineral content yours has should be stated on the bottle.

Allison
#6 of 10 Old 09-06-2004, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
My DH only ever drinks sparkling mineral water. He believes it is preferable to the the regular non-sparkling kind. He prefers Gerolsteiner.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
#7 of 10 Old 09-06-2004, 07:14 PM

Fianna,

I just logged on to post a question that is almost exactly the same as yours

But, I was wondering about carbonated water in terms of my 3 y.o. ds...it is his favorite drink and he drinks about 50% regular H2O and 50% carbonated H2O. I feel like I heard it mentioned a while back that there may be something about the carbonation process that is not so good for our health but maybe I am confusing myself. I would love to hear if anyone else knows whether or not bubbly water is good/bad, etc.
#8 of 10 Old 09-06-2004, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixcuina
Fianna,

I just logged on to post a question that is almost exactly the same as yours

But, I was wondering about carbonated water in terms of my 3 y.o. ds...it is his favorite drink and he drinks about 50% regular H2O and 50% carbonated H2O. I feel like I heard it mentioned a while back that there may be something about the carbonation process that is not so good for our health but maybe I am confusing myself. I would love to hear if anyone else knows whether or not bubbly water is good/bad, etc.
I think the important thing to make sure the water is naturally sparkling for. Gerolsteiner is otherwise I don't think my super-health conscious DH would drink it!

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
#9 of 10 Old 09-08-2004, 12:47 AM

just popping in to say -
I have read that carbination prohibits vitamin/mineral absorbtion (like cafein does). I avoid it for that reason, but I'm sorry to say that right now I have no idea where I read this info! I do know that I've read it more than one place, that it's familiar to me (from books, not online). If I can find the source I'll post it.
#10 of 10 Old 09-08-2004, 10:40 AM

The only thing I've ever read about carbonation (non-natural) is that it can increase the chances of bone density loss in females .. but all the studies I've seen are "carbonated low nutrient" drinks - ie. soda. Never heard anything bad about mineral water.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page