Rice/veggie steamer - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-25-2002, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for a rice/vegie steamer. Anyone out there who has one they really like?

I was told to buy the one with the water in the bottom ?

Deb
#2 of 8 Old 07-28-2002, 12:19 PM

Yes! I recently bought the Tefal Steam Cuisine three-tiered steamer at Costco. It's great! I don't do microwaves so this is just what I was looking for to reheat leftovers, steam veggies, and thaw and heat up ds's frozen brown rice and vegetable cubes. I was a bit sceptical at first, thinking that maybe it would be just another appliance taking up space in my cupboard, but I find that I use it every day. It's quick and you can do a lot of stuff at once, which I never could do with the little metal veggie steamer basket. I really like the thing...
#3 of 8 Old 07-28-2002, 12:35 PM

My fav for steaming, reheating etc is just a plain old bamboo steamer you can get in any of the Asian neighborhoods for about 9.99 if you live in the city. Other wise you can occasionally find them in the bog-box store like Kitchen etc, Bed, Bath and Betond, etc.

It works great for steaming any and all veggies and it has multiple tiers so you can do a lot at one time. It also great for steaming fish and shrimp. It is also great for reheating-just place a plate or bowl right in the steamer.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#4 of 8 Old 07-28-2002, 04:15 PM

I have one by black and decker which works great and we use it all the time. It's not very big though but we use it all the time.
#5 of 8 Old 07-28-2002, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies.

But.....have you heard of a rice cooker and steamer, all in one?

#6 of 8 Old 07-29-2002, 07:27 AM

Do you mean one that cooks rice and a vegetable at the same time or one that has the capability to cook rice or something else? The one I have does cook rice or steam food. I use it for rice weekly because I LOVE rice (especially sticky jasmati rice) and the steamer cooks it perfectly every time. Well, okay, as long as I follow the directions LOL!
#7 of 8 Old 07-30-2002, 11:16 AM

The one I have supposedly does cook rice as well. It has a plastic bowl that you put the rice and some water in, and then eventually you have cooked rice. I have a pot that I use to cook rice in on the stove and it always turns out great, so I've not tried out the rice-cooking option on the steamer, since the cooking time is roughly the same. I always wanted one of those inexpensive bamboo steamers, but I couldn't find one over here though.
#8 of 8 Old 08-06-2002, 06:38 PM

I have a rice cooker/ veggie staemer combo. It's by Aroma.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page