Has anyone canned pickles? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-30-2002, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was hoping to try canning pickles this summer. I love all kinds - dill, sweet, whatever. I've found some simple-looking recipes on the web but if anyone has tips or a recipe they recommend, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I'm not sure where I'll get the cukes. I'm growing a few plants but I don't think I'll have enough to can. The cucumbers at the store are so large, I guess I could slice them up or make relish. Maybe I'll see what they have at the farmer's market.
#2 of 6 Old 07-31-2002, 12:27 PM

I'll be watching this thread with interest as I've recently started canning. And my cucumber patch is huge!

I canned some Dilly Beans the other day, from a recipe straight out of the Ball Blue Book. They were awesome, and they used up 2lbs of beans from my way oversized green bean bed. I'll pass on the recipe if you are interested.

I'm scared of using any old recipe as my grandmother used to make the most dreadful pickles, I still get nervous eating home-canned pickles because of the memories of hers!

Where to get cukes- try a farmstand if you have one nearby, the farmers market is also a great idea.

-jeanie
#3 of 6 Old 07-31-2002, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

What else have you canned? I've done only fruit (jam, peaches, cherries, applesauce) and tomatoes (whole and sauce). This summer I haven't done anything, sigh. Still worn out from moving, didn't even notice it was strawberry season til long past. Your beans sound good. Do you use water bath?
#4 of 6 Old 07-31-2002, 02:10 PM

I have a recipe that has evolved after many years of trial and error. I put in on my web site: Dilly Dills

A few tricks I have found with pickles is don't process longer than recipe calls for or they will be overcooked and soggy.

I have also found preparing cucumbers and soaking them in lime-water overnight in the frig makes them nice and crispy. You have to wash the lime off good and soak them in clear water a couple hours before proceeding with the pickle recipe.

If any of the instruction are not simple enough for first time canners I would be glad to explain.
#5 of 6 Old 08-02-2002, 11:27 AM

Panda- you are way ahead of me- I've only done some jam and the dilly beans so far. I'm hoping to do tomatoes and pickles this year too.

The dilly beans are processed in a hot water bath, the same way I do the jam.

Gardenrn- Thanks for the recipe, I may have more questions for you in a few weeks. I saw your post on canning/freezing food. We are trying to do more of this. Especially tomatoes since I found out Muir Glen is owned by some awful mega-monster company.... I froze some blueberries and strawberries that we picked this summer, but we only have a very small freezer... I am trying to move in that general direction though. Thanks for the cookbook suggestion.

-jeanie
#6 of 6 Old 08-02-2002, 12:59 PM

I know this is off the pickle stuff but I noticed some of you mentioned canning tomatoes.

I have found a trick with tomatoes, For making sauce you can cut and core the tomatoes, put skins and all in the blender. The skins make it a much thicker sauce. You don't have to cook it down near as long.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page