dry milk powder a "whole food"? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-02-2002, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently borrowed a copy of "Whole Foods for the Whole Family"from a friend, and I was surprised to see that many of the recipes call for dry milk powder. How is that a "whole food"? And what purpose does it serve in a recipe? Is there a way to substitute real milk (or something else) for it, or should I just skip those recipes that call for it? There's one for whole wheat PB cookies that sounds good, but I don't want to have to use the powder. Any suggestions?
#2 of 3 Old 08-02-2002, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Milk powder boosts protien and calcium. You can usually skip it if you don't want it in there.
If it calls for water just use real milk if you like the creaminess milk adds. Milk rarely changes the cooking properties of something unless it has to thicken.

There are several kinds of milk powder somebeing very processed and some being minamully processed or "just dried" and all or most of the nutrients are retained. I wish I could remember the real names for each, but alas. . . Someone at your local health food place or co-op could tell you I am sure.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 3 Old 08-02-2002, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I second what Lilyka said, it just adds extra nutrition (protein & calcium) to the recipe and can simply be left out if you don't want it. I just wanted to add that you wouldn't want to substitute real milk for the powder, because then you would be adding too much liquid into the recipe (you can however, substitute milk for water, like Lilyka mentioned).

The only two kinds of dry milk powder that I know of are instant and non-instant. I'm not sure of the physical difference, but non-instant is better (less processed). You can find instant in any grocery store (Carnation, etc), but you need to look in health food/whole food stores to find the non-instant kind.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page