Silly breadmaking question--help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-03-2002, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have what seems to be a silly breadmaking question because I put it in the bread thread and nobody responded

I am making a really dense bread in a breadmaker that is old and cannot handle the kneading of it...This cycle lasts 20 minutes, I can and will take it out and punch it down myself but do I have to knead it for 20 minutes or simply punch it down when I take it out and then again before I put it back in to rise and bake? when I punch it down how do I know when I have done it enough? I am truly clueless...Please help me! Ps the bread is really delicious but it'll kill the machine if I don't help. Thanks
#2 of 5 Old 08-06-2002, 05:16 AM

I'm a little confused by the question. Are you saying your machine can't handle the punching down or that it can't handle the kneading, or both?

Dough needs to be punched down after each rising, except the final one in the bread pan.

In my experience, bread machines only do one rising, the final one, so it never needs to be punched down.
#3 of 5 Old 08-07-2002, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for responding. The bread maker can and does make and knead the dough without problems, after it rises though, when the machine needs to punch it down and knead it, it was having a tough time, the paddle would get stuck and nearly stop. The motor was getting close to overheating. Finally about 5 minutes before the cycle ended Dh pulled out the dough and punched it down and then when the indicator light went to the next cycle we put it back in and let the bread machine finish. The next time I made the bread I omitted the 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds and it had an easier time of it. But again thanks for responding
#4 of 5 Old 08-07-2002, 03:44 PM

I don't think you need to punch it and knead it for 20 min. Just punch it until most of the air-bubbles are gone. That's all. Don't knead it very forcefully either. It should wind up at about 1/2 the volume it was at the end of the rise cycle. Hope that helps.

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#5 of 5 Old 08-07-2002, 03:49 PM

Location: too close to a playground of the rich and famous to be able to afford rent, CO
one thing I have to do with my machine when baking multigrained breads (doesn't have such cycle) is to start it, let it go a good ten minutes or so (but safely before the next cycle starts), stop it, unpplug it, start over, so the bread gets an extra dose of kneading that it seems to need.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page