Healthy dairy&wheat free birthday cake for 1 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-04-2002, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,
would love to bake a cake for my 1 year old that he can accually eat. He has not had any sugar or junk and I would love to keep it that way. Anyone have a real good recipe ? He loves fruits!
#2 of 8 Old 08-04-2002, 04:06 PM

Hey,

this one hasn't got any fruit in it, but it is vegan, and yummy!

Amazing Vegan Chocolate Mousse Pie

Ingredients:
1 package Mori Nu firm silken tofu
1 package dairy-free choc chips
¼ cup Kahlua
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp maple syrup
graham cracker pie crust
Directions:
Melt chocolate chips. Thoroughly puree melted chips in food processor or blender with tofu, vanilla, Kahlua and maple syrup. Pour into prepared crust and chill for 2 hours. Enjoy!

Graham Cracker Pie Crust

Ingredients:
1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
¼ cup fructose
1/3 cup melted margarine

Directions:
Put crackers in the blender to create crumbs, or put them in a bag that closes and roll them with a rolling pin until you have the desired amount of crumbs.
Preheat oven to 375°F. In medium bowl, mix well crumbs, fructose, and melted margarine.
With back of spoon, press rest of mixture to bottom and side of 9-inch pie plate, making a small rim.
Bake 8 minutes then remove crumb crust to wire rack to cool.
Fill as recipe directs.

#3 of 8 Old 08-04-2002, 07:30 PM

I made a vegan pumpkin pie without sugar in- I used brown rice malt & maple syrup to sweeten it - for dd for the winter solstice. Seeing as it's summer where you are, you could probably do some frozen fruit / moussey type of thing. Or like a vegan type of cheesecake without a base or with a oat base with tons of fresh berries on top.

I haven't got any exact recipes to hand but you can make vegan cheesecakes with silken tofu ( organic of course ) bung in the blender with maple syrup, melted brown rice malt, purreed fruit, spices, vanilla etc. to taste If you're going to bake it, bake it in a moderate oven until set & then cool & chill & top with fresh fruit & maybe some form of soycream. You can make your own with tofu, some sweetener& lemon juice in a blender.

If you don't want to bake it, you can use agar agar flakes dissolved in hot water to set ( check out packet for qtys). In fact, you could scrap the cake idea all together & make a real fruit jelly with fruit juice, fruits pieces & use agar agar to set it.

The other way to make a vegan no sugar mousse is to use coconut cream & lemon juice & purred fruit. I use organic dried mangos soaked in a bit of water overnight. It is quite a funky tasting concoction so I'd definitely do a practise run

If you wanted a proper cake that is gluten free, that will actually taste like a cake to other people, these are generally made with ground almonds instead of flour. Not sure how you feel about nuts ( or eggs ) & a 1 yr old. I know my dd reacted to them until very recently. The idea is you whip up several egg whites until very frothy & firm. Fold in the egg yolks, sugar ( or whatever else you're using ), melted chocolate is the usual one although I had a recipe somewhere that used carrots, then fold in the ground almonds & bake in a mildish heated oven. A bit like baking a quiche.

The other possibility is to try using spelt flour as it is very low gluten ?
#4 of 8 Old 08-19-2002, 02:03 PM

Some of the recipes may be more suited for your child once a little older, but my absolute favorite cookbook for sweets is "Great Good Desserts Naturally" by Fran Costigan. I cook quite extensively (as a personal chef, in restaurants, etc.) and continue to go back to her recipes for inspiration and just pure deliciousness! All recipes are for items free from milk, eggs, butter, cholesterol, refined sugar, junk, & hard work..
check it out!
#5 of 8 Old 08-19-2002, 03:12 PM

I wonder if you might could make an applesauce spice cake with maybe spelt flour? I know that in regular recipes the applesauce replaces some of the liquid (rest of which you could use whatever you normally replace milk with) as well as sweetener. That way it wouldn't have to be too sweet & would have a nice fruity flavor.
#6 of 8 Old 08-22-2002, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Eternal_Grace,
wow, wonder if you are a mommy yet? I love the names you picked out for your child. Thanks for the yummy sounding recipe, I will be sure to try it one day.

Ocean Momma,
I love the cheesecake idea topped with fruit, or just some other kind of fruit dessert or mousse, great ideas.

3newviews,
thanks for sharing, I will be sure to get that book, I am craving dessert type things lately but don't want to eat junk.

Amnesiac,
I have baked some cakes with concentrated apple juice instead of sweeteners, works pretty well too. The applesauce idea sounds intersting.

I will let you know what I decide to do, I gotta start thinking of his birthday -

Lots of love and thanks again,

#7 of 8 Old 03-29-2005, 11:44 PM

hah, this thread is old. i think banana bread makes an excellent dessert for babies.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#8 of 8 Old 03-30-2005, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
would a banana bread made with spelt be okay - if so that is the healthest thing that woudl look like "cake" and it is so easy to make it vegan.

but if it were me, i would also dress up sliced fruit (mango? pineapple - are these okay for 1 year olds? or try peaches/plums if you can get them - anything in bright colors would look really dazzling) and stick the candle right on top of the pile. why should it look like a 'cake' anyway?? you could grind up some almonds and sprinke them on, maybe (again, i can't remember if almonds are okay for age 1)

good luck and happy birthday!

no longer momsling.GIF or ecbaby2.gif orfly-by-nursing1.gif ... dd is going on 10 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page