Potluck Ideas ? Please Help ! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-04-2002, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am writing this a bit late...as I have a potluck to go to in 5 hrs : but it is kind of timeless really....I NEVER know what to bring to a potluck. Especially in summer, outside where it's warm and not everything can sit around for an hour or two KWIM ? I am thinking fruit salad (but organic will be so spendy !) or zucchini bread (I have a giant zucchini already...and I guess I am willing to heat up the kitchen for it today, it's not scorchingly hot out).

What are you faves and best recieved potluck dishes ? I often bring a dessert, since everyone likes those but today is a BDay party, and I am sure there will be a cake.
#2 of 8 Old 08-04-2002, 03:15 PM

Tabbouli

Couscous salad (you can use your zucchini raw-yum!)

Three bean salad

Hummus

yum!
#3 of 8 Old 08-04-2002, 03:49 PM

I do a lot of pasta salads with vinaigrette dressings, or a spicy black bean salsa with lime juice. Otherwise, I second Pumpkin's choices. Hummus is just too simple not to do.
#4 of 8 Old 08-04-2002, 07:33 PM

I love potato salads. A good one is to use purple potatoes and fingerling potatoes with onion, garlic, salt, pepper, other speices to taste and then toss it with Annie's Naturals Green Goddess Dressing. Yummy stuff!
#5 of 8 Old 08-04-2002, 08:05 PM

Let's see, I have recently taken a fresh green bean and grape tomato salad, a red cabbage cole slaw with (dried) apricots and yogurt (not the best for sitting out I guess), and home made granola bars. Also, stuffed mushrooms, spinach pancakes or spinach and mushroom filo triangles. With zuccini maybe you could cut up some bell peppers, onions, yellow squash and mushrooms marinate them, and make shish-kabobs spears to grill it you're going to a cookout. Rice dishes are easy and keep well. I have a great recipe for a quinoa casserole. If you're interested I'll send it.
#6 of 8 Old 08-04-2002, 08:29 PM

Well, here it is just in case.

1 1/2 C Quinoa (rinsed in a fine sieve)
2 T light olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 med. broccoli crowns, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 C sharp cheddar cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 375 F
Bring 3 C water to boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the quinoa, cover, and simmer gently until water is absorbed (about 15 min.)
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, and saute until golden. Add the broccoli and about 1/4 C water. Cover and steam until the broccoli is just a little more done than tender/crisp (5-7 min.)
In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked quinoa with the broccoli mixture and half of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper and stir well. Transfer mixture to a shallow 2 Quart casserole dish. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining cheese. Bake until the top is golden and crisp (20-25 min.)
Let casserole stand for 5 min. (the drive to the party) and serve.

This recipe is from The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet by Nava Atlas

Feel free to embellish

I just realized that you are probably already there. Let us know what you decided.
#7 of 8 Old 08-05-2002, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
"Chinese coleslaw": shredded cabbage and a little carrot with soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and crumbled ramen noodles. You can also add the seasoning powder of the ramen or some spices (pepper, garlic, ginger) of your own.

Veggie sticks and dip. I just take whatever herbs I have handy and mix into yogurt with some salt, pepper, and dried minced onion or shredded green onion if I have it.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#8 of 8 Old 08-11-2002, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your great ideas ! I wound up bringing tofu pate and chips, and juice. I am gonna print up this thread for next time though...like I said I never know what to bring. MMM that quinoa casserole is making me hungry !

Thanks again (any other ideas ? GLADLY welcomed !)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page