Traditional Foods (NT) Mamas - October Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 118 Old 10-02-2004, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, thought I'd start the thread for October.

I'm boiling chicken for stock/soup and have sourdough made with some (2 cups) Kefir (OMG, it really makes the bread soft and fluffy) ready to go for later (cold weather baking is so nice...)

I made chocolate pies a few days ago and used VCO in the crust, and WOW, they turned out flaky and perfect. I grew up with 'Crisco' for pie crusts, so I'm glad the coconut oil works so wonderfully! I know you can use lard, but I don't have any!

I am on my second batch of Kombucha tea, and this batch turned out MUCH nicer! It's smoother and more mellow. I can drink it straight, rather than having to water it down. I actually have neighbors wanting a baby shroom for making their own.

Anybody tried Piima culture yet? I keep delaying sending off for some...

I make vanilla yogurt now too, and wow, what a difference from store stuff! I put it in little 'jelly jars' used for canning, put on the band lids and then place them in a insulated lunch tote (Little Playmate brand) and add hot tap water. 4 hours later WOW, awesome yogurt. They have been turning out just fine! I use Yogurmet brand starter, organic whole milk, and add a dash of organic vanilla extract just before pouring it into the little jars.

Thanks for letting me ramble on...naking and the Dh is in the kitchen helping chop veges for the soup...so I'm delaying going in there..hahah...mmm...if I time it just right..he'll have the soup almost made for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 118 Old 10-02-2004, 09:19 PM

Hooray for new threads! Thanks xenabyte!

We've recently gone dairy-free, mostly because it's such a PITA to drive down to the raw goat's milk place, and secondly because I have recently suspected that it makes me congested (even the raw stuff, though definitely not as bad). So unfortunately, no more yogurt or kefir for me. And double unfortunately, I think DD is allergic to coconuts so I can't do coconut kefir either. Sigh. Maybe I'll do some rejuvelac or kefir d'aqua (if I can find grains for that) so I can still get some fermented beasties in me.

We've been doing lots of harvesting and canning, loads of tomatoes, and vinegar pickles. It's finally gotten cool enough to lacto-ferment so we started a big batch of saeurkraut which hopefully will not get moldy like the last batch we did. We're probably going to do some sauerruben soon when we harvest our turnips. Our poor chinese cabbages are being decimated by cabbage worms but hopefully we'll get enough to turn into kimchee.

Still feeling pretty good, am trying a gluten-free experiment to see if it makes me feel better. I keep flirting with the idea of low/no grain too. I definitely notice that I feel like crap on the days that I eat heavy on the grain.
#3 of 118 Old 10-02-2004, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, the Kombucha would be fermented beasties, sans dairy of any kind...I'll have extra shrooms in the coming weeks...

I agree. I did a low carb diet, NOT like Atkins (with so much meat), I actually ate stir fried veges (in quantity) in good oil, and added in chicken, sometimes shrimp and occasionally beef. I just didn't do any grains and no sugar. I did eat a LOT of deviled eggs, though...I dropped like 20 pounds in 4 months. I had to start adding back in grains and such. I also noticed my 'tiny bloated tummy' went away, but hey, when you lose 20 pounds, hard to tell if it was just fat!

I do not have as much problems with the soaked grains, as I did with regular ones, so I'm so glad my sourdough bread is better for me for TWO reasons now...

I agree about dairy in general. If it wasn't for Kefir, I'd not be drinking any milk. I would still be doing cheese though..man that stuf has 'power' over me...

I'm still 'tweeking' our diet...maybe someday I'll settle on the perfect fit for me..until then, I kinda go by how I feel, as well!
#4 of 118 Old 10-03-2004, 10:48 AM

Hey, all:

I'm just getting started on some of the NT practices and have been pleased with the results thus far. I'm getting ready to cook an apple crisp and was wondering if anyone had any experience soaking oats (or for that matter, flour) before baking them (crisp: spread fruit in a pan and top with a mixture of oats, flour, butter and sugar. Bake. Devour.). I may be dreaming the impossible dream here, but, well, I'm going to eat it anyway so I'd like to make it as healthy as possible. Any tips or relevant experiences?
#5 of 118 Old 10-03-2004, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

I've yet to make a 'crisp' the NT way, but you can soak the oats in water with some lemon...then spread them on a cookie sheet and quickly dry them and toast them up some. The lemon would work well with the apple flavors too. I'd probably either use bulgar wheat (which is pre soaked) and gind it finer...or just use an unbleached flour you like. Soaking, drying and grinding wheat for just the crisp would be a LOT more work...

#6 of 118 Old 10-03-2004, 04:09 PM

I keep hearing good things about kombucha but caffeine does bad things to me so I've refrained thus far. Maybe one day I'll get brave and try it though.

I feel like I'm constantly tweaking my diet! Ah, the days of blissful ignorance I used to have so long ago, eating packaged and fast foods and not realizing that that was why I felt so dang sick! :LOL Sometimes I forget how long of a journey it's been.
#7 of 118 Old 10-03-2004, 06:18 PM

Xenabyte, I'd be interested in hearing more about making sourdough with kefir. Do you just add it to any recipe, replacing... what? Or is there a special recipe you use?
#8 of 118 Old 10-03-2004, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Toraji,

I make Kombucha with caffeine free Green Tea (Celestial Seasonings) and it's wonderful! I do no not drink caffeine, since I'm still BFing...but again, it's something you either like to drink or not...the flavor takes some getting used to...

Persephone,

I have been using Kefir JUST like Buttermilk. It turns out even better, I think. OMG, biscuits and Kefirmilk yeast rolls are so good. I usually make a 'sponge' and soak (sour) it over night, but it will be just as yummy if you only have a few hours during the day to do it (and make it for dinner). For example, here is what I did for my Kefir Sourdough:

Kefir Sourdough Bread

4 cups flour (Whole Wheat, Spelt, or unbleached regular)
2 cups Kefir
2 cups warm water
1 tsp SAF Instant Yeast ('rise' insurance policy)

Stir in a glass bowl (big one) and soak a min of 2 hours up to over night. I cover with a damp clean cloth and sit on counter top or in oven if it's a chilly day and just turn on the light. This is your 'sponge'.

When ready to make bread, I melt a stick of butter, then let it cool off. I add probably 2 tsp sea salt to the sponge and mix with a wooden spoon. Then I pour the cool (just not hot) butter in one spot and slowly stir to integrate. (If you leave a little butter in your pan, you can use it to brush the top of the loaves before baking). I then start adding in unbleached flour by the cup full, and stir until it's incorporated and the dough begins to thicken to the point it's easier to handle.

At this point you could give it a whirl in a table top mixer, and keep adding flour until it gets to where you can shape loaves, or I just pour about two cups flour on the counter and 'gently knead' until it's not super sticky. I like it more soft, like a 'biscuit' dough. I cut into 4 loaves, and slightly flatten, then roll them into 'logs'. I sprinkle either cornmeal or some ground wheat or spelt on 2 cookie sheets, and lay two loaves, on each pan, side by side with some room in between them. (They cook faster and I like the 'peasant' feel).

I cover the loaves with a clean 'dish towel' and let rise until they bulk up. This takes about 30 min to 1 hour, depending on how warm my kitchen is. (Again, can use the oven/light trick).

I preheat oven to 400 deg F and bake them for about 25 minutes. I let them rest a few minutes and then transfer to baker's racks to cool. I sometimes brush butter with just a tinge of garlic (or cinnamon sugar, if I want it for 'sweet' jams, etc) on top, and then cover the baked loaves with a clean dish towel to slightly 'steam' them and make the crust SUPER soft.

Enjoy. This bread was super soft, puffy, and tasty!
#9 of 118 Old 10-03-2004, 07:17 PM

Can someone tell me about coconut kefir? We can't do dairy and I really do not like the taste of goat. But I love coconut milk, so coconut kefir sounds wonderful. Also, I've been getting canned coconut milk. Is that what people are using? I would rather get frozen coconut milk but haven't found any yet. Also, is creamed coconut + water better than canned? Or do you think they're about the same. I'm almost ready to order some coconut oil, and I might pick up some creamed coconut if its good.
#10 of 118 Old 10-03-2004, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

this will be fast and dirty response to coconut Kefir. naking, getting ready to go on a 'jog'...

i used canned coconut milk for my first experiment. Shook can well, put in glass jar added the kefir grains and let it sit over night. It tasted really good!

Now, I love Tropical Traditions Coconut Cream Concentrate, and use it for smoothies, but for some reason it didn't ferment well with the kefir grains. I made about 'two cups' coconut milk using the coconut cream concentrate with water, and then added the grains. The oils in it kinda re formed and I ended up with small lumps of hardened 'oil' in the mixture...but my kitchen was cold when I tried it. So I can't really say if it would do this with yours. It did NOT hurt the grains, they fermented regular milk fine afterwards, and the flavor is more mellow now. So perhaps it was a good thing to try the experiment! Using the ccc might be more akin to doing 'kefir d'aqua' and might need more sweet in the mix (sugar) and then you'd have to convert your milk grains (or some of them) to 'aqua' grains and you eventually wouldn't be able to use them in milk again...but anything with a sugar/water ratio like the Dom suggests would be fine or even fruit juice.

If this doesn't make sense...google Kefir Grains and or I'll post the 'dom's' website with a TON of Kefir info when I get back from my jog.
#11 of 118 Old 10-03-2004, 09:56 PM

I thought I would let you all know that I made 6 loaves of bread last thursday, froze most of them. I am so stoaked! I've been buying sprouted grain bread for forever it seems like. Yea!
#12 of 118 Old 10-04-2004, 05:39 PM

I'm looking for some advice about kefir. I have been making it for a few weeks now, have tried putting it in the fridge to slow it down but basically I need to get rid of a few grains. What do people do to thin their grains? What would be a good routine? Does dehydrating the extra grains really make since? I have been making it with far more grains that Sally calls for in the book because that's what the woman who gave me the grains suggested and also it has been working for me.
#13 of 118 Old 10-05-2004, 06:30 PM

xenabyte, thanks for the advice (sorry to take so long responding, but soaking, cooking, etc.). It turned out a bit closer to cobbler than crisp, but no one complained, and I think I can see my way to tweaking it a bit more in the crisp direction. I thought the soaked oats were delicious (and yes, I just went with straight unbleached flour). Thanks again!
#14 of 118 Old 10-06-2004, 01:46 PM

phroggies - I would love your apple crisp recipe. I am sure that there is a reason that there is no cinnamon roll recipe in NT but what the heck. So I tweaked a family recipe and made fabulous rolls. . . kind of like NT. I substituted white flour with soaked freshly ground whole wheat, and all the sugar for honey and rapadura. I'm sure that they aren't "good" for us but they have to at least be better.

Kefir Help!!! Okay so here is the problem. I just started doing kefir (thanks to Xenabyte!) and I can not get my family to eat it unless it is in a smoothie, okay I can't really get myself to eat it either unless it is in a smoothie. : It doesn't taste anything like the kerfir I buy in the store. I think I did it right it smells and tastes like the instructions say. Quick! I need kefir ideas before it starts coming out my ears!
#15 of 118 Old 10-06-2004, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

I have been making Kefir Sourdough bread every few days...it keeps really nice too, even just on the counter in a bag. Kefir pancakes, biscuits, smoothies you know about already... , basically anything you can find a recipe that calls for buttermilk, you can use the Kefir. My other favorite, when my frige jar gets too full of Kefir, is to make it into whey and cream cheese. it's awesome, and with just a pinch of sea salt, it makes a great spread! With some seasonings, it makes a great dip...just add in a bit of whey to thin it out, or regular milk or water and your favorite 'dip' seasonings.

I think the store bought stuff is more an amalgam of a 'yogurt' type culture with some 'Kefir' culture added in. Many of the store bought Kefirs are sweet or flavored too. I mix fresh brewed Kefir with fruit juice and it comes out great for a 'yogurt drinkable' type effect.

I was thinking about starting a Kefir thread with JUST recipes, so it'll be easy to 'search' and find them. I've just been super busy these last few days, and these 'slow load' MDC glitches are no fun when you have a whole 5 minutes of computer time, spaced between chores, kids, and other stuff, and you want to read/post FAST and then get back to what you need to do...

/hugs to all.
#16 of 118 Old 10-06-2004, 04:25 PM

Heather,
that would be a great idea to start a kefir thread. Thank you so much for the ideas. Just out of curiosity, do you drink kefir straight? Is it just an aquired taste? Well anyhow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is having a hard time with this website, it's running very slow.
#17 of 118 Old 10-06-2004, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

I do believe it's an aquired taste for /real/ brewed Kefir.

But I'n not a big milk drinker, just a big milk byproduct user (Cheese, sour cream, butter, yogurt)...if that makes sense.

I hated Kombucha the first time I drank it, now I can drink it straight up. I'm still working on the Kefir straight up...I usually drink a small amount when I strain it...but am finding it's just nice to have on hand for 'add in's' for baking breads, smoothies, cheese making, etc....
#18 of 118 Old 10-13-2004, 01:36 PM

Hey NT mamas. Thought I'd give this thread a little bump.

Let's see, our progress here: I'm reading Weston Price's book. I have been critical of the writing and structure, but sat down to read it in spite of those issues and have found it to be very interesting. I am understanding more of the complexity of his argument. I have just started, so I am not ready to report back to you all, LOL, but I do recommend it.

I've cut out more carbs and am trying to lose my summer fruit fat and my first trimester fat before I miscarried. I've been exercising a good bit as well.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#19 of 118 Old 10-13-2004, 02:32 PM

Hey! Thanks for the bump!

DH went over the Weston Price book with a fine-tooth comb, and after he did that he said, 'That is a man obsessed with dairy!". :LOL I will admit that I have not done the same fine-tooth comb treatment with the book. But the major complaints that we had with it was that Price did not talk much about native vegetation in the diets, so it's hard to tell what or how much the cultures were eating of that.
#20 of 118 Old 10-13-2004, 10:47 PM

I pickled squash

I just used the old-fashioned salt and water method. I nested a little jar in the mouth of a big one to keep the squash from floating and molding. It actually tastes like pickled squash. Imagine that. Now I just need to figure out what to do with it. I’ve got nearly a gallon.

I had a second jar of summer squash and eggplant (first jar is winter squash) and it is helping to speed up the composition process in the compost bin. It was nasty. It had some floating vegetables that went wild with mold while I wasn’t looking (which was the whole week it was sitting).

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#21 of 118 Old 10-13-2004, 10:53 PM

Reading Weston Price makes me appreciate the pregnancy and lactation diet on the WAPF website. I have always been amazed at the sheer amount of food they recommend. Here is their list:

http://www.westonaprice.org/children...ormothers.html

But in reading Price, I am getting a newer, more profound sense of the nutritional requirements we have. He assumes we’ll absorb half of the nutrients we eat (and really depending on our circumstances – stress, yeast, etc – it could be a lot less) and he states that pregnant and lactating women need 2X the nutritional requirements of folks in a regular state. In the old days I really did assume that I was absorbing all of what I was eating. I did appreciate that I needed more while pregnant, but I can see now why I’ve been eating like a working man for a year and a half and am still hungry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji
But the major complaints that we had with it was that Price did not talk much about native vegetation in the diets, so it's hard to tell what or how much the cultures were eating of that.
Good point. I skipped the sections on the specific cultures, but have seen little on that in the chapters I have read.

#22 of 118 Old 10-13-2004, 10:53 PM

Hey all...

I would like to join this thread. I was given a copy of NT this summer, and it is the first cookbook I have read cover to cover. I started to adopt some of the easier things, but have held off on all of the fermenting on my own and making kefir and such, though I was making yogurt for awhile.

Now I am reading Sugar Blues and am feeling like its really time to commit to making more substantial dietary changes. Especially really kicking my sugar habit- I'm so addicted ... mostly baked goods and ok, chocolate. So, i could use this thread to keep me motivated. I am already excited about making that sourdough bread, as our favorite sprouted spelt bread is almost $6 a loaf

where have you all acquired your kefir grains?

thanks-
kelly

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#23 of 118 Old 10-13-2004, 11:02 PM

Welcome Kelly. Xenabyte and I have been mailing kefir grains lately, though I have been getting some flack from the postmaster. I'll be mailing some soon to an MDC mama (need to tell her they're not out yet in fact).

I'm also belt-tightening. Cutting out the fruit and a certain fermented pleasure. Hoping to lose a few pounds. It is hard to be strict. Our diet is pretty NT-oriented, so that's not a huge deal. Having only a finite number of apples a day is a bigger deal.

#24 of 118 Old 10-14-2004, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Aye, I'm sending out grains (usually 1-2 boxes with a starter) a week now. Just PM one of us for mailing info.

Glad to be back...I had my computer crash for two days, and it feels like a week...mainly missed my MDC mommas!

/hugs to all...I'm just thankful my hubby was able to save me and all those recipes I've been typing up!
#25 of 118 Old 10-15-2004, 01:11 AM

Heather, I wondered what happened. Usually when there is a new thread, usually you've beat me to it. You have quite a bit of knowledge on many subjects.

By the way, I LOVE vanilla kefir, so does my daughter! I haven't gotten DH to try it yet but I'll let him get jealous before he gets a sip!
#26 of 118 Old 10-15-2004, 01:15 AM

Gale force,
Boy do I know. I've plateaued at my current weight and size and can't seem to get past it. I'd like to be able to wear MY jeans and not just my husbands!

I think I just need to exercise instead of sitting here at my computer.
#27 of 118 Old 10-15-2004, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

I've added a yoga class (once a week on Tues Mornings) and have been walking with my neighbor on a local trail anywhere from 2 to 4 miles. We are also alternating days with a 'Pilates' video she has. I must say, I'm still eating the regular stuff, but here it is week 3 and I lost an entire pants size, which amounted to about 5 'solid' pounds on the scale, and my legs, butt and tummy are shaping up nice.

hehe, yea, when I get quiet, you should wonder what happened to me...it's usually my computer crashed! :LOL

Oh well, stupid new window security update, it's worse than getting the actual virus it's supposed to protect against! hahaha...

Fair warning, I might have to wipe my entire system and start over now, as the update corrupted some files. So I'll be trying to 'rescue' all my recipe files (the only ones I care about) and having to reinstall EVERYTHING...ugh.

So if I'm 'quiet' for a week, that's what happened!

to all
#28 of 118 Old 10-15-2004, 03:20 AM

What helped me with losing weight is cutting out breads, crackers and such. I cut those foods out because my body is not digesting carbs well (and I only ate whole grains). I was losing weight after dd#2 because I was training for a marathon. When I gave up on the training (nutritionist's advise because my body was in starvation mode), I thought I was going to stop loosing weight. Well, I continued at a steady pace. I'm almost back to pre-dd#1 weight. I still run 3-4 miles a day, but I definitely think its the starch thats getting me.

BTW, any suggestions for nice warm drinks for the fall and winter? I'm supposed to watch my sugar intake too, so something thats not too sweet would be good.
#29 of 118 Old 10-15-2004, 01:21 PM

I was walking about 2 miles daily with my double stroller but I kept seeing our local bear. Well needless to say I turned into a chicken and quit my walks. I'm sure the bear is close to hybernation, so I really should walk again.

I also had a denise austin yoga and pilates video, wierd, but it worked and I stopped doing it because I would keep getting interupted by one or the other of my lovely children.
There is a great yoga place in the nearest town, but they have no child care.

Here is the wierd part, I've lost all the weight with the exception of my belly and butt. What's up with that?
#30 of 118 Old 10-15-2004, 01:37 PM

I finally started a normal exercise routine. I have convinced Frederick that it is exciting to go in the stoller -- it's exercise for mama, that will make mama strong like Frederick, etc. So off we go in the stroller and Frederick says "mama talk about exercise." So I do. On and on. The good thing is that on our little mountain road here I get a very good workout. Each stroller ride down to the main road and back is probably only 1/2-3/4 of a mile, but it is a killer. We do it twice a day now.

Oh, and I don't eat many grains normally, so the stuff I have to cut back are the incredible apples in season (I am sure I gained 5 pounds in the winter and spring from oranges, 5 in the summer from nectarines, and 3 or so from apples before my belt-tightening). Since my miscarriage in late July I also started a wine habit -- nearly a glass every night. I'm glad I've avoided medication like Diflucan to protect my liver only to become a wine-o.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page