Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd love a chocolate pudding receipe without gelatin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2004, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This is what I call "Home Alone" Chocolate Pudding, because it makes one serving. But because it's so fast, it's easy to make several. I've never doubled the recipe, if I need more than one I just do each one seperately.

Ingredients

3 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 Tbsp cornstarch
3/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions

Combine sugar, cocoa, and cornstarch in a 1-quart glass measure, and stir well. Gradually add milk, stirring with a wire whisk. Microwave milk mixture at HIGH for 1-1/2 minutes, and stir well.

Microwave at MEDIUM HIGH (70% power) for 1-1/2 minutes or until mixture is thickened.

Add the vanilla extract, and stir well with a wire whisk. Chill.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:56 PM

We use a similar recipe to Ceili, but we replace the cornstarch with arrowroot. We also use a high fat content milk, such as whole, because we like the creamy flavor. Another alternative to gelatin is agar agar, which thickens like "jello", but it is made from seaweed. We have got both the agar agar and the arrowroot at our healthfood store and for pre packaged versions of agar agar "jello" we got them at the Asian grocery store.

Oh, also, you can cook it on the stove, too, like a custard. Use med.low heat, stirring frequently until it has the desired texture. Add vanilla after it is off the fire. Use a whisk while the milk cooks/thickens, so that it stays smooth (without lumps).
Old 10-03-2004, 03:19 PM

Chocolate Blanc Mange (Pudding)

2 squares (2 oz) unsweetened chocolate
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups milk, scalded
1 tsp vanilla extract

Melt chocolate and butter over hot water in top pan of a double boiler (or in a metal bowl, over a pot of boiling water). Mix cornstarch, sugar and salt together; stir in about 1/4 cup of the milk, then add to melted chocolate and blend thoroughly. Add about half the remaining milk and stir until smooth, then add remainder of milk and cook over direct heat, stirring CONSTANTLY until the mixture boils and thickens. Place over the boiling water again, cover and cook 15 minutes longer with occasional stirring. Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and cool, stirring occasionally during the cooling. Serve plain or with whipped cream.

Note: For a sweeter pudding, use 1/3 cup (2 oz) semi sweet chocolate chips instead of the unsweetened chocolate and reduce your sugar to 1/3 cup.

For an awesome treat, serve the pudding in a bowl warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. The heat will start it to melting the ice cream, so serve at once. (It's kinda reminiscent of a hot fudge sundae)

CHOCOLATE EGG YOLK PUDDING

3 squares (3 oz) unsweetened chocolate
1 cup sugar
1 TBS flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups milk, scalded
5 egg yolks, beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Melt chocolate over hot water in double boiler; mix sugar, flour, salt and blend with chocolate. Stir in 1 cup of the hot milk and beat until smooth; then cook over direct heat until mixture boils; stirring CONSTANTLY. Stir rest of hot milk slowly into beaten egg yolks; add to chocolate mixture and cook 3 minutes longer over boiling water, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool and serve plain or with whipped cream.

CHOCOLATE CREAM PUDDING

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups milk
3 egg yolks, beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Combine sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt in heavy saucepan; add milk and egg yolks. Stir to blend, then cook over medium heat, stirring CONSTANTLY, until mixture boils; boil for about 1 minute, stirring the whole time. Remove from heat; blend in butter and vanilla extract. Pour into a bowl or individual dessert dishes. If you don't want the 'skin' to form, press plastic wrap on top, and chill. Or just serve warm plain or with whipped cream and or fruit.

Notes:
I have like three or four more 'variations' on this..as Chocolate Pudding is one of my favorite desserts. If you have a pre baked pie shell, just pour in pudding, and refrigerate to firm up. Slice and serve with whipped cream topping or make a meringue for the pie.

Dang, now I need pudding...
Old 10-03-2004, 06:03 PM

I always used to have chocolate pudding pie for my birthday when I was a little girl, because I didn't like cake. With a graham cracker crust. And whipped cream on the side.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:40 PM

Has anyone tried making pudding with soy or rice milk, or does it not come out right?
Old 10-03-2004, 07:05 PM

Someone said in a post about a month ago, they use rice milk with no problems, it's just 'thinner' than regular milk. I've not yet tried it, but think I'll have to do so, as it sounds good. Maybe use the vanilla rice milk for an extra kick?

Hth
Old 10-03-2004, 10:49 PM

Hi Heather,

Thanks, I think I'll try the vanilla rice milk idea. I have a few old boxes of pudding but we stopped using cow's milk a few months ago so they've just been sitting there. I hate to waste food so I've been trying to use everything we have before replacing it with organic/healthier stuff.

User Tag List