How do I get my 3 year old to eat veggies & fruit? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-06-2002, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do I get my 3 year old to eat veggies & fruit?

HELP?!?!?!

Chase is 3.5 & used to eat awesome... tons of fruit & veggies & now it is just a struggle to get him to eat anything at all.

Also I can not get him to stay seated at the table... he wants to eat in front of the TV or walk around with his food. It's driving me NUTS!

Any suggestions or antedotes?
#2 of 3 Old 08-07-2002, 06:44 AM

Oh, dear...getting kids to eat is such a nightmare (at times), isn't it?

I find with my two, they eat better if they are sitting at the table with a plate in front of them. I used to do the 'follow them around, feeding them' thing, and they just don't eat very much that way - too much else to see/do. So I insist on proper 'mealtimes' at the table.

When we sit down and eat with them, that seems to help also...they see Mommy and Daddy eating the same things that are on their plate, and that seems to spur them on.

If they really aren't eating at a meal, I just leave it. You can't force them to eat. Then I try to make the between meal snack quite small, so they will be hungry when the next meal time rolls around (I might move the time up a bit). This usually works, and I get at least one good meal in them a day!

Whatever else you do - don't give in and give him junk. If you keep offering only healthy food, then eventually he will eat the healthy food. Neither of my girls have huge appetites, so they just don't get much junk at all...if all they are going to eat is this tiny amount of food, I make sure that that tiny amount is nutritious!

This is a lot easier said than done, but try not to worry - kids won't starve themselves. I think they must need much less than we think they need - at least mine seem to (sigh).

Hope someone else has some specifics for you about encouraging fruit and vegetable consumption!

Carolyn
#3 of 3 Old 08-07-2002, 10:06 AM

Here is a link to an article by Brenda Davis, R.D. on this subject:

http://www.vegfamily.com/columns/bre...vegetables.htm

I found it really helpful and inspiring!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page