Are you concerned about the effects of too much soy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-07-2002, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
Are you concerned about eating too much soy? I have been doing some research and will definately cut back on our consumption due to my findings and questions. I guess the key to everything is moderation.
What are your thoughts?
#2 of 6 Old 08-08-2002, 10:37 AM

carminex,
we have had several great discussions on this subject in this, Good Eating!, board as well as in health and healing board. do a search, and you will find them.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#3 of 6 Old 08-08-2002, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll look into it!
#4 of 6 Old 08-09-2002, 06:15 PM

My personal opinion is that the dairy industry is feeling very threatened by the new popularity of soy products (as they tend to replace dairy products)...

I went to medical school for three years and from my knowledge the phyto-estrogenes found in soy are different from human estrogenes and subsequently have a different effect in the body. It is *not* proven that plant-derived estrogenes have harmful effects.

I am 38 weeks pregnant, on a vegan diet, and I eat soy products every day. I am perfectly healthy, and according to all the medical information I have received, my baby is too.

I don't know if this is due to my diet (wholefood organic vegan ) but I have had none of the typical pregnancy complaints: no oedema, no heartburn, no stretch marks, no back pain, no anemia, perfect blood pressure... and I still have LOTS of energy at 38 weeks!

If I am feeling this good, and my baby is this active, perky and happy, I don't see how my diet could be all that bad.

www.vegfamily.com has some good articles on soy, and doctors and nutritionists opinions on it.
#5 of 6 Old 08-14-2002, 03:37 PM

I was also a little nervous after reading the negative press on soy. I have another link, though it's from Eden Foods, they are based on scientific facts:

http://www.edenfoods.com/info/03072001.html

Check also:

http://www.foodrevolution.org/what_about_soy.htm
#6 of 6 Old 08-15-2002, 10:33 PM

I am concerned about too much soy too. My mil's best friend fed her kids soymilk all day long and her oldest began developing breasts at age 8! She now limits it to one meal a day and the developing has stopped and her son's moods have changed for the better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page