Mothering Forum banner

Canadians - what are you doing for Thanksgiving dinner?

484 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  shantimama 
#1 ·
This is one of my favourite wekends of the year!

My friend just delivered one of their free range organic turkeys last night - for $2 a pound. It doesn't get much better than that! We will stuff and roast it and do the traditional thing - my kids love it. Roasted garlic mashed potatoes (those are the "traditional" mashed potatoes my kids are growing up with!), pumpkin cranberry rolls, whole wheat rolls, gravy, lots of carrots and other veggies, pumpkin and apple pies, whipped cream and homemade ice cream, cranberry juice.

Most of the time we eat vegetarian or just a little meat. Even so, for some reason we all love to roast a big turkey and share it with friends on Thanksgiving! We even put bacon in the stuffing along with lots of garlic, onions, celery and sage.

I was out driving today and couldn't beleive how beautiful the trees are this weekend. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

#3 ·
Well, we still haven't moved into our home, but I've decided that when we do, I am still making a turkey dinner! We should have been in the house Oct 1, and I was really excited about Thanksgiving in our first house.
So last night we went to my Mom's and Stepdad's, tonight is dh's family and tomorrow is dinner at my Dad's and Stepmom's, so at least we're getting well fed!

Last night was turkey, squash, carrots, potatoes, dressing, cranberries, pickles, rolls and pumpkin pie. Yum!

#4 ·
We're having thanksgiving at my house this year as our family if getting bigger (4&1/2 grandkids now!) so my parents house is too small!

Anyway--luckily we always share the cooking of the meal--and I'm vegetarian so I'm not cooking the turkey--my mom is!

The vegetarians are having a Vegetarian Tourtiere that my sister is making and vegetarian stuffing.

Everyone is having broccoli casserole, scalloped potatoes, peas, corn, turnip and carrots, brussel sprouts, rolls and pie and ice cream for dessert!

Oh yah and my grandmother is making "FLUFFO" which is a really fun dessert that we as kids use to make great noises with our teeth hahaha! Now to teach that to the next generation hahaha!

Yah ours is usually a very loud, fun dinner!!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!

Holly
Mommy to Malcolm Dec10/00, Josée Oct21/02 and baby boy due Feb21/05

#5 ·
I wanted to cook up an organic free range turkey. I had one reserved and everything. Then, my mom decided that since we were spending Chistmas with dh's parents then we should go to her house for Thanksgiving. Don't get me wrong. My mom is a great cook...but it will be a regular bird from the local grochery store at $0.99/lb and the same old side dishes (yams mashed and full of brown sugar and the like). I'm thinking of bringing a sweetpotato pie in a whole wheat crust made with coconut oil, just so I can get some whole food this meal. She also hates cooking. She gets cranky and moody and her kitchen is to small for more then one person so she does not want you in there, but expects you to help in there.

I don't mind so much, but I just wish she would be more concious of the food she buys and how she prepared it.

#7 ·
What is it with people who hate to cook insisting on cooking holiday dinners???? My MIL is like that. She buys pre-stuffed turkeys and serves them with store bought salads and instant mashed potatoes and powdered gravy and complains about the amount of work involved. Meanwhile all of my SIL's and I LOVE to cook but aren't allowed in the kitchen except to measure out powdered potatoes and wash dishes. AAAAAGGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Off to make my stuffing now for tomorrow......my house should smell divine in about 10 minutes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.