My dh really wants your help -- re: spaghetti sauce recipe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-10-2002, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have an overabundance of tomatos this year and my dh wants to make and freeze homemade spaghetti sauce but the only recipes he has been able to find in cookbooks or online call for canned tomato juice or tomato paste. Not what he is looking for.

Does anyone have a spaghetti sauce recipe that uses actual tomatos? If you have one requiring tomato juice or paste, can you tell us how to make these from our own tomatos? He really wants to do this all from scratch, nothing from a can from the store.

He's desperate, but I assured him that you wonderful women would be able to help.

Thanks in advance!
#2 of 4 Old 08-11-2002, 04:27 PM

Oh! You know what you *could* do that would be extra delicious?

You could *can* the tomatoes with olive oil and fresh basil leaves to use for the base for sauces during the winter. Do a net serach on tomatoes and "pelati," which is the Italian term for this process.

In Italy, San Marzano, to be precise, they have some of the most delicious tomatoes in the whole world. Well, I buy those canned tomatoes (the pelati) and cook those with olive oil, salt and fresh basil. Then, I puree this mixture and (I am not exaggerating) I get the most wonderful tomato sauce ever!

I think that if you can your tomatoes instead of freezing the sauce, you will have much fresher and more delicious results.

Jean

p.s. I am *so* jealous! We have had very few tomatoes this year!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#3 of 4 Old 08-12-2002, 08:55 AM

Jeanvanzyl's idea sounds yummy to me! I think you could do the same thing and freeze it if you don't like the idea of canning. The flavors would still slowly meld, even in deep freeze.

Your dh can use the recipes he's got, but he should do more to the fresh tomatoes first. Basically, you've got to turn your fresh tomatoes into sauce. Everything that I've read says to first blanch the tomatoes and remove their skins and seeds. Then dice the tomatoes and cook that down to a sauce before adding all of the other ingredients in the recipe. The amount of liquid will decrease considerably (with boiling), so use a lot more tomatoes than you think you need.
#4 of 4 Old 08-13-2002, 11:37 PM

I had never made sauce until today and this creation came from my brain and even my picky 5 yo DD and DH LOVED it! Here goes:

Cut up tomatoes and put in pot (no water needed, they are already full of it, you'll be shocked).
No need to take skin or seeds off.

While tomatoes are heating and getting mushy cut up at least one pepper and onion and throw in. Add some garlic cloves, fresh or jar.

Boil until soft. Now blend (in a blender) all ingredients if you are like me and don't like it chunky!! At it all back to pot on medium and add some sugar (or something to help tartness), italian seasonings, salt, etc. Then add my secret ingredent for texture and taste-LENTILS! I preboiled but this is not necessary! Boil until lentils are soft andd desired consistancy.

Serve on ziti or similar.

I am so proud of my concoction! Good luck and adjust to your taste! Oh and my tomatoes came fro mgrandma's garden. Add in any excess veggies to the sauce too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page