Zukes and eggplants questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-12-2002, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe all of you good cookin' people can help me out. I have more zuchinni and eggplants than I know what to do with. I want to freeze them so here are my questions:

do you think I could freeze uncooked, shredded zuchinni so I have it for breads through the winter? Usually I just bake the bread and freeze but with the heat we are having I don't want to turn on the stove.

does anyone have a recipe for breaded eggplant that you bake or grill instead of frying in oil? I used them for eggplant parmigiana and I worry about the amount of oil the eggplant soaks up.

Thank you for any ideas!
#2 of 6 Old 08-12-2002, 11:31 AM

I am not sure about the freezing ? but I would think that you could if it was in an airtight ziploc freezer bag.
For the eggplant, I have this great recipe for eggplant parm that uses a different way of breading the eggplant. I always hated watching the eggplant soak up all that oil too.
Here is what you do:
Cut the eggplant in about 1/2 inch thick slices then put a little bit of mayo-could use vegan or regular-in a bowl and take a pastry brush and VERY lightly brush some mayo on each side of the eggplant slice. After brushing the slices w/mayo just dip each side in your bread crumbs and put on a cookie sheet and broil for about 5 minutes on each side until both sides are golden to light brown. The slices turn out just barely soft and stay a good texture in the eggplant parm. They are also yummy by themselves.
I hope this makes sense. This method is sooooo much easier than all the frying, oil soaking, and egg dipping.
I wish I had a garden full of veggies to harvest-I am hoping next season I will be able to create a space for one. Enjoy your harvest!!
#3 of 6 Old 08-12-2002, 06:03 PM

I shred and freeze zucchini and it has always worked great for me and my mom did it too.

In fact, I was given a huge one this weekend I am going to shred it up and measure it for bread portions today.

Stephanie

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#4 of 6 Old 08-12-2002, 07:11 PM

I grill both and make "pizza" with them- yummy bread, tomato sauce, grilled veggies, and melted provelone on top. YUm!
#5 of 6 Old 08-14-2002, 06:48 AM

I think zucchini would make great pickles. Eggplant too, probably (I'm not so fond of eggplant).
#6 of 6 Old 08-14-2002, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your great ideas! Keep them coming. I think I'll try Momma23's eggplant recipe once the heat breaks.

I do grill eggplant and zuke but there's only so much our family can eat in a week! I want to save some of our bounty for the dead of winter.

Zuchinni pickles sound interesting. Any good refrigerator pickle recipes?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page