Why AREN'T you a vegan/vegetarian? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Why AREN'T you a vegan/vegetarian?
I believe animals are here to serve us 32 11.35%
I like the way animal products taste way too much to not eat them 71 25.18%
I have never thought about the cruelties of factory farming 1 0.35%
It's all I know. Eating meat was how I was raised. I never considered anything else 19 6.74%
I believe it is the healthiest way for me to eat 145 51.42%
I'm on a fad diet like atkins that condones eating meat 1 0.35%
I think vegans are weirdos and don't want to grouped in with them 5 1.77%
I have never heard a good argument against eating meat, but would change if I did 8 2.84%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 198 Old 11-10-2004, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was a vegetarian for a few years. I just think it is wrong to eat animals, mainly because of the way they are slaughtered and the lack of respect for them as living beings. But, and I hate to admit this, I eat meat now because my husband is a meat lover, my kids hate veggies, and it was too difficult to fix 3 different meals every night!

As my children grow and accept a larger variety of foods, I will go back to my old eating habits with the hopes of only making 2 meals a night! I felt so much better, and I hate the feelings of guilt that I get from consuming meat. Also, I just think it is gross.

What can I say? I just love animals!
#182 of 198 Old 11-10-2004, 09:49 AM

I haven't read all the response but I am sure someone said this already. I was vegetarian off and on for 10 years because I was disturbed by how animals were treated. I think for me it is healthier to eat meat and now I only eat meat from one of three farms near me that I have been to. They treat their cows and chickens really nicely and slaughter them humanely. They are also not given any hormones or antibiotics.
#183 of 198 Old 11-10-2004, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Sorry I don't have time to read all of the responses so far - but did anyone else notice that all of the poll options seemed to suggest that meat eaters are either unthinking or just plain insensitive? Can't say I was thrilled with the wording of this poll.

I was vegetarian for years and vegan for a few stints. I never felt well. I stuck to it out of principle but my body did not thrive on a veg diet. Now I do eat mostly vegetarian but we have some form of meat once or twice a week (usually in small amouts) and dairy most days of the week and some eggs. I feel healthy. I purchase all of our meat from a local organic farmer. I buy only organic cheese and organic milk when I can afford it. We eat lots of legumes, nuts, fruits and vegetables and whole grains, very little sugar and preservatives. I do not believe that any one diet is best for all people so we need to learn to respect and listen to our own bodies and not listen to what the expert all tell us - whether they promote meat consumption or a vegan diet. No one will ever convince me that a veg diet is best for all humans any more than a predominantly meat based diet is best for all humans. Those living in the tropics don't need whale blubber and seal meat any more than the Inuit need lentils and leafy greens as their mainstay to survive or thrive.
#184 of 198 Old 11-10-2004, 12:16 PM

I'm not on a diet, but this is insulting.

"I'm on a fad diet like atkins that condones eating meat"
#185 of 198 Old 11-10-2004, 12:33 PM
cjr

I went vegetarian for health reasons back in May. Not because I think meat in unhealthy, but because of the unhealthy stuff they put in meat and the way meat is mass slaughtered.

I have gone back to eating meat. However, I buy my meat from a local ranch and have talked to the owners a number of times on their farming practices. They have a great product and practice farming practices I can live with. I can also trust that the meat is safe because of their feeding practices (I live in Alberta and the thought of mad cow is still very real). I also buy my poultry and lamb from a local farmer for the same reasons.

I personally believe that there is a lot of nutrition in meat. I don't eat near as much as I used to. I have about one serving/day and get the rest of my protien from other vegetarian sources.
#186 of 198 Old 11-10-2004, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lao80
I'm not on a diet, but this is insulting.

"I'm on a fad diet like atkins that condones eating meat"
What is insulting about that statement? Is it because it calls atkins a "fad" diet? I don't think that word has such a bad connotation. It's the latest craze and anybody I know who is on it knows that. I doubt the person who wrote that meant to be offensive, but I tend to give people the benifit of the doubt.
#187 of 198 Old 11-10-2004, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama
Sorry I don't have time to read all of the responses so far - but did anyone else notice that all of the poll options seemed to suggest that meat eaters are either unthinking or just plain insensitive? Can't say I was thrilled with the wording of this poll.
This was addressed in previous posts.
#188 of 198 Old 11-10-2004, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandzia
What is insulting about that statement? Is it because it calls atkins a "fad" diet? I don't think that word has such a bad connotation. It's the latest craze and anybody I know who is on it knows that. I doubt the person who wrote that meant to be offensive, but I tend to give people the benifit of the doubt.
I think the objection was more to the use of the words "condones eating meat," which suggests that eating meat is ordinarily a sinful activity that one must be given permission to engage in.
#189 of 198 Old 11-10-2004, 08:35 PM

I read "condones" as being different from most nutritional guidance, which says to limit consumption of meat, particularly meat high in sat. fats.
#190 of 198 Old 11-10-2004, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydeesac
I read "condones" as being different from most nutritional guidance, which says to limit consumption of meat, particularly meat high in sat. fats.
Well, you may have read it that way, but the grammatical construction of the sentence indicates otherwise. Now, if it read "which condones eating copious amounts of meat at the expense of other food groups" then you'd have a case.

Of course, we could be wrong anyway and that's not the part the PP found offensive!
#191 of 198 Old 11-11-2004, 12:47 AM

I'm a vegetarian most of the year, but a couple of times a year, I've gotta have crab legs. I just love them. Everytime I say I am a vegetarian my daughter points out that I ate crabs legs one time a few months ago. Oh well, there is just something about the lemon and butter that I just thoroughly enjoy. Other than that we eat mostly organic and vegetarian. Unfortunately my older daughter will eat meat with the family, but eats veggie at home.
I like to keep it real. If we go to the movies, we'll have those yellow #5 nachos and a Sprite. I think if the foundation of food we eat is healthy that we are free to enjoy life in the unfortunate mainstream culture of hydrogenated oils and high fructose syrup.
#192 of 198 Old 11-11-2004, 01:46 AM

"I'm a vegetarian most of the year, but a couple of times a year, I've gotta have crab legs."

Jenmama, just had to tell you that I almost spit my juice when I read that. PMSL!
PS. I love em too!!

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#193 of 198 Old 11-11-2004, 02:17 AM

I eat only organic meats and dairy products. If I can't afford it or can't find it, I don't eat it! I feel better when I have a small amount of meat in my diet, and I dont think I could live without cheese. But I do think about whether or not I really want to eat animal products at all and may phase them out one day. I am adamantly opposed to factory farming and even my cats eats organic
#194 of 198 Old 11-11-2004, 02:52 AM

I have been veggie, vegan and raw at some point over the last 10 years. Although i now eat all veggie, nuts, grains, fruit and salmon. my ds just had fish this year - he likes it sometimes. my main reason for eating salmon is that my body responds so well to it. although i reserve the right to change according to what my body needs. i still have weeks at a time with all raw or fasting (when I;m not b'feeding)
Great Poll!!!!
#195 of 198 Old 11-11-2004, 11:32 AM

I voted I believe it is the healthiest way for me to eat. I was veggie for 6 months. I lost weight, which I didnt need to since I am thin to begin with. I was always hungry. I then started having some depression problems. I noticed that when I added meat back into my diet the depression lessened a lot. I know for a lot of people vegetarian is the best way to eat, as I started being being veggie because my dad had heart problems and I wanted to be healthier. Overall I feel better when I do eat some meat, although it is not every day and it is in limited amounts when I do.
#196 of 198 Old 11-11-2004, 06:30 PM

I voted but didn't like any of the reasons. I was raised eating meat and DH grew up on a cattle ranch where meat was served three times a day. We stayed that way until going to K-State where we met folks from other parts of the world who had grown up vegetarian. That coupled with a very limited food budget made us give up meat.

Fast forward to pregnancy #3. We were still eating only meat analogues which very quickly began to disagree with me. I farted like mad, belched up the nastiest smells and just got the creeps thinking of eating more beans. I craved steaks, hamburgers, sausage, anything not plant-based. I've now had a second baby and am even less vegetarian than ever. DH refuses to eat fake meat but won't eat the real stuff either SO, I cook beans for him and sneak hamburgers once in a while. I figure my body knows what it needs and I'd better listen to it.

Kimberly
#197 of 198 Old 11-12-2004, 03:22 AM

I didn't like any of the choices either though, I guess, health would have to fit.
For the price, especially from the "it'll expire soon, eat it tonight" bin at the health food store, meat is a fast, dense, inexpensive source of protein and iron if you only eat a little, like in a stir fry.

But really I switched from a vegetarian to an omnivore after travelling around south america and hitchhiking through some of the more economically disadvantaged parts of the U.S.

The idea of refusing something to eat, particularly protein, because it didn't fit your values was foreign at best and insulting at worst to the people I met. I didn't feel comfortable with the luxury I had to deny some foods that were healthy for me when I knew other people didn't have that choice.

So I turn away the artificial, hormone laden, chemical crap and eat my natural meat and dairy and veggies and grains and gratefully say thank you for it all.
#198 of 198 Old 11-12-2004, 12:28 PM

I voted in the "meat is yummy I can't help myself" category. We already are dairy-free and to be "meat-free" on top of that, for me, would be too hard. Because I have thought about cutting out eating land animals but my hubby likes meat too much. It would be a real struggle to make us all happy.

So we buy farm raised, non-drugged up beef and pork products from a local butcher. Which taste better AND are cheaper than the meat at the big grocery stores.

Like others have said, I have a problem with the factory farming way of providing meat products for the masses. I do not have a problem with consuming animals. It's really in how the animals are treated, I think.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page