Baked Tofu - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-14-2002, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody has a baked tofu recipe, like those delicious ones we buy in the stores? dd likes them, but they are so expensive!
#2 of 7 Old 08-14-2002, 05:04 PM

Sure, my basic one is this: Slice into any shape you like, marinade in todays favorite (whatever goes with the planned meal). I like to marinade for at least 4 hours, but overnight is also good if I plan that far ahead. Then drain from the marinade and bake on a cookie sheet at 350 for about 20 minutes. It all depends on the use and how firm you want it. The longer you cook the firmer it is also the thinner the tofu is sliced the firmer it gets with longer cooking times. I also always use White Wave hard tofu as it's our favorite. I don't bother pressing the tofu first.

Just experiment to find your favorite combos of marinade, and cooking times. I often use just tamari to marinade, but I also like some of the store bought ones.
#3 of 7 Old 08-14-2002, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Arduinna! That sounds pretty easy!
I've always wondered how the tofu get to be so hard, didn't link that to baking time. I'll try that out, thanks again!!
#4 of 7 Old 08-14-2002, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

I found this tofu marinade recipe in my vegan Chinese cookbook:
(for 1.5-2 lbs of tofu)

1.5 cups water
1/4 cup light soy sauce
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic granules
#5 of 7 Old 12-06-2002, 05:59 PM

(bump)

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#6 of 7 Old 12-09-2002, 04:29 AM

I am quite sure this is not what you're looking for, but what the heck, it tastes great, so ...

My DH makes tofu cholent. In the oven.

Basically you take all sorts of beans (he mixes up a dozen different types, mostly white-ish types, & flax seeds too) & a little bit of barley and perhaps a spud or two, various spices along the lines of really good chili, then put it in the oven for, oh, many hours. Then (particularly if you're Jewish and the Sabbath will be starting soon ) you take it out of the oven and immediately put it on the stovetop on a low light, where you leave it overnight.

& eat it for lunch the next afternoon. With a bottle of red wine (I prefer something sweet with it, a Merlot, perhaps ... )

- Amy
#7 of 7 Old 12-09-2002, 06:14 PM

I usually bake tofu like this when I want something simple ,quick and yummy.

Put soy sauce, onion powder, garlic powder( I sometimes use fresh instead) and ground or fresh ginger in a shallow dish. Cut tofu into slices and put it in dish. Marinate for 15 -30 mitnutes. Bake at about 350 degrees for about an hour. Bake in marinade. I have never measured anything so I'm not sure how much of everything. The marinade should just about cover the tofu, which is about 1/2 inch thick.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page