Do you eat together as a family? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Does your family eat together??
Yes, we do 6 or more times a week 67 69.79%
Yes, we do some days of the week 24 25.00%
No, we never do 4 4.17%
Other 1 1.04%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2002, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you eat together as a family??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2002, 12:52 PM

I love seeing my DD and DH for lunch and I look forward to it during the week!

Dinner can be tough to get together but I have vegetables, eggs and yogurt delivered every other week and DH cooks, so that's covered pretty well.

Have been going through a "junk" phase lately. Will recover tonight.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:23 PM

No matter how many times I try the system still won't allow me to respond to pools - so frustrating.
Anyway, we eat together every night.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 08-19-2002, 02:41 PM

We eat dinner together 99% of the time and dh comes home for lunch quite often.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 08-19-2002, 03:51 PM

We eat together every supper except Mondays when it is just the children & I. Dh works until 7:30 pm on Mondays and the girls go to bed at 6:30 so it doesn't work out to eat together.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:28 PM

We went from eating NO meals a day together when we lived in NY to eating 3 meals a day together here in CA. And we eat outside for most of those . This is something that's very very important to me--A) that my family eats the food I've prepared with love, and B) that we all stop what we're doing and come together.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:41 PM

Meal Times In my house are very hectic, Usually if we are'nt seated at the table together we are at least all in the kitchen LOL. I try to keep mealtimes a family affair although its very difficult with Dhs work schedule.
Old 08-19-2002, 05:24 PM

we always eat dinner together, I think it is so important to have meals together.
Old 08-19-2002, 05:37 PM

Well, we're all in the same room! Right now we have a very small apartment with a card table for a dining room table, but there's only one chair. And we have a kitchen counter with a bar stool. So, DD is at the table, DS is in his high chair, DH is on the barstool, and I sit on the couch or at the computer table!
I think it's important to eat together so you can talk about your day and bond as a family. Sometimes DH comes home late from work and I will eat with him, I can't make the kids starve until he gets home.
Next year when we are in our house we will have a real table with 4 chairs. Yipee!
Melanie
Old 08-19-2002, 07:28 PM

Yes, though on a "big news" night DH tries to eat on his own so he can watch the news on TV while he eats.

- Amy
Old 08-19-2002, 10:24 PM

Good thread. We ideally would eat together more than we do, but things got pretty busy in this last year and we found that challenging. Hopefully now things will be slowing down and we will go back to our normal routine of eating together most days of the week.

Sierra

P.S. I've gotta start pruning PI and getting archiving done, and I'm getting scared about congestion! I'm just gonna slide this over to Good Eating...sorry for any inconvienence.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:37 PM

I work shifts, 4 on, 4 off, so on my working days, I rarely am home for dinner, although when I get off days, dd is always on my lap sharing my supper, and dh is around the kitchen doing something, and on my night shifts, I have breakfast with them before they leave, and I go to bed.
Days off, they are wondering when i'll be going back....

always,

Mamasoleil
Old 08-20-2002, 01:28 AM

We eat supper together 6 or 7 nights a week, plus lunch 2-3 times a week. If I'm late getting supper on the table ds will sometimes have had enough (usually healthy) snacks before then that he's not hungry, but we encourage him to sit and visit with us for the first few minutes and he generally doesn't ask to get down once we're started.

-Sue
Old 08-20-2002, 03:33 PM

My DH and I eat together at the dinner table about 6.5 nights a week We pick up a pizza or Thai food once in a while and maybe watch a movie.

I have almost finished a book (The Rituals of Dinner, by Margart Vissar) which goes into the rituals, customs and history of the dinner table around the world. I've always felt strongly about families sitting down for dinners but this book brought out very valid reasons why it's important.

Children learn so much from sitting with their family, no matter how many people, that they just don't learn anywhere else. Manners, what's appropriate conversation, body language, that they are a valued member of the family, everyone is listened to, holiday fan-fare, what's important to the family and how that changes, what's celebrated, what's expected.. it goes on and on. It's lost when the meal is moved into a room and the tv is turned on and people are tuned out.

Been quietly hanging around here for over 10 years.  

Old 08-20-2002, 07:44 PM

I love family dinners or dinner parties.
Old 08-21-2002, 02:07 AM

I want our boys to know that dinner time is family time and that you are home for supper and you eat together.... To further that cause we at supper to gether just about everynite... The only problem i have is that my hubby just can't seem to get why this is soo important.... Perhaps he will get it 13 years down the road here when the boys are in high school and running around all the time, but they come home for supper before running out again... When i moved in with my dad, we all ate supper together... To me it's important so we do it...

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:25 AM
Banned

Dh works (up until last week) 2nd shift so we didn't share meals together.

I also don't think sitting down to eat together is as important as having a family time to bond and share the day with. That time for us was the morning time before DH got up to go to work. We all would lay in bed, and talk about the previous day and what our plans for the new day would be. Kailey would sit or lay between us either playing or talking with us(in her baby babble).

Now that DH is looking for work, we do have dinner together, but our mornings are still more important.
Old 08-21-2002, 05:20 PM

It's just DP and I but we almost always eat together.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:06 PM

We always eat supper/dinner -- whatever you call the evening meal -- together. I don't always eat lunch at the same time as the boys, but I'm always right there with them. Dh is usually home at the time, but likes to catch up on the stock market so he eats lunch sitting on the couch watching CNBC.: We do a lot of picnics for lunch in the summer so it's just me and the boys a lot.

It seems to me that this is just a good habit to set up for the future. Of course, it took a while to get used to eating supper at 5:30pm.:
Old 08-27-2002, 04:57 PM

DH and I eat dinner together every night in a normal week. I think there has maybe been once or twice we haven't. I also think it is an important time to spend together. DH works graveyards so we eat after he gets up and then in the morning we usually talk about his night while he eats breakfast or both of us do. No lunches together because his lunch is at 2 in the morning and mine is around 1 in the afternoon. I have went and visited him twice though , but it really messes up my schedule.

Stephanie

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Old 08-31-2002, 01:04 PM
PM
Banned

We eat together three times a day, every day. This is very important to us. We also often discuss food and how to improve our diets. And we have rituals: every Saturday morning is croissants, the third Sunday of each month is crepes day, etc.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:19 PM

Well we all sit at the table at the same time. That doesn't mean that dd will eat anything though!
Old 09-01-2002, 07:41 PM

We eat dinner together every night, even if it is just one parent home. My SO travels for work and is away 3-4 days each week.

In my neighborhood, we've had discussions about meals together and folks have commented "I bet you all eat together without the tv." They think it is wierd, we think it's great. Now, what would they think if they knew we didn't have a tv?????
Old 09-12-2002, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Unfortunately, only one day a week usually. Dh works 2nd and I work 3rd so one of us can always be with dd, so our schedules are such that it rarely happens. I do think it's important-we both grew up with family meals- just not possible for us right now. Of course, dd is only 1 now and still mostly breastfed, and we do have predictable time with all 3 of us together.
I do try on my nights off, but it never fails: if I spend all evening cooking he comes home and says he's not hungry, if I don't bother it's 'what's for dinner' the moment he walks in! :
We do have Sunday dinners though. Us, my parents, his mom & g-parents, and whichever of his sibs that can make it get together every week without fail. I'm envious of those of you that can eaty together all the time!
Old 09-12-2002, 11:31 AM

Pynki--I have the same situation. I am big on family meals and the kids and I have our rituals (we each have a candle on the table, we wait until everyone's seated to eat, we thank the earth and sky for the food, etc.) but my husband only joins us occasionally. When home, he eats 90% of his meals infront of the TV--arggg--and he doesn't like the candles, won't have one for himself, just doesn't get the importance of mealtime. I don't thinnk he realizes how much he's missing out. And it's annoying when I cook a nice meal (or a meal, period) and he wanders off to the living room to eat infront of the TV--makes it hard to keep the kids happy to be at the table.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:38 AM

glad to see that most families dine together. we do for dinner 6 days/week. this is so important to me.

breakfast & lunch seem to be more like ongoing snacking for the kids & me. dh usually comes home for lunch, but it is rare that we actually sit down with him. dinner is when we make up for it.
Old 09-12-2002, 01:37 PM

Hi:

We were eating together less and less without anyone seeming to notice until I read "Bowling Alone" by Robert Puttman about the loss of community in this country. He points out that that loss extends right into the family and one of he reasons he cites for that conclusion is the decline in familty dinners together. The number of familes who usually eat together has declined by a thrid in the last 20 years. I'm on a campaign to get us eating together again - we eat better food too.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:41 PM

We almost always eat together and on the rare occasion something is on tv we sit in the living room together and eat there. I have been pushing dh to figure out some kind of a thanks, since we are of different faiths and we don't want to pray but we want dd to appreciate the food and time together. What do you all do?

User Tag List