what's the grossest packaged food you've seen? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 439 Old 04-08-2007, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQMama View Post
Someone mentioned hamburger helper--I can beat that.

My sister buys microwavable packets of hamburger helper that have the hamburger ALREADY IN IT. It's so she doesn't have to buy the meat, brown it, and add the mix. And it doesn't expire in like, forever, so I hate to think of all the preservatives in it. It can't really be meat, can it?
yes, it can, it can be freeze dried, or dehydrated, which is more likely, freeze dryers are rather expensive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazer View Post
And a seasonal addition to gross foods . . .

Peeps

Marshmallow fluff dyed tropical flower colors and then printed with faces.
unless theyve changed it, theyre little dots of wax.

my brother loves uncrustables, for soem off reason, i refuseto eat peanut butter with jelly anywhere near it, so i wouldt know. and some of this i can see good reasons for using, like peanut butter in a tube and stuff, its better for kids lunches and stuff, better for it to be made right before consuming than for it to be made hours before, less time for it to get nasty and all, or moe convenient for packing for trips, etc than taking entire containers of stuff, ya know?

and depending on the store, i can get natural smuckers, and natural skippy (just cant be organic, natural i can do, since the store says i can...theres no sugar though so it is taking a bit of getting used to LOL) peanut butter on wic, though one wouldnt let me get kraft singles (dont ask lol) though theyre on my list of what i can get...strange.

and a few weeks ago i was super weak, my mom let me order some schwans stuff (PLEASE no one say anything bad about schwans as a company or anything, i might cry, lol and if you buy anything non organic thats frozen, its likely theirs, anyway) and anywaya social worker and some hospital person were talking to me, and asked me what food i had, i told them that, and the one freaked out about it being packged processed food. when my dinner, french fries and a cheeseburger with canned fruit cocktail and some disgusting frozen vegetables. i was like "umm.your point is? what is it that THIS stuff is to make it so much better? im pretty sure its processed!"

and yeah, they kept trying to give me jello for some reason, and i said no dairy for my son (he stayed, so they fed him too) exept cheese, what do ya know, they bring him a carton of chocolate milk and sherbert with his disgusting pizza. (same time as when they were all shocked i woulkd eat schwans processed food.) and i complained, and THEY TOLD E THEY GAVE HIM NO DAIRY!! errr..so what are they trying to admit this stuff is made from? hmmm...!!

lets see..most disgusting? lots of random canned and jarred animal innards..
green ketchup, my then bf and my kids dad would gross out my friend (my kids dads gf at the time) and i eating like 20 packs at a time at bk when it came out, and try to kiss us with their green tongues. puke. ) she was completely grossed out by the green, though she would only eat the purple kind for a couple years. oddness.
fake margarine (never seen colored regular margarine though, or chocolate fries! wth? i guess they didnt last long!)
scrapple. at least their honest, it says "pork snout" in the ingredients.
cheez whiz
#302 of 439 Old 04-08-2007, 09:37 AM

This thread is making me more and more glad I live in Australia...because I can't even get my head around the idea of coloured applesauce and colour changing desserts...the worst I've had to cope with is green ketchup, and I managed to avoid that one.

Then again, dd is massively chemically intolerant anyway, so we mostly avoid the supermarket all together, and hit the Farmers' Market and the organic vegie delivery service instead, so no artificial horrible anything in either of those places.
#303 of 439 Old 04-08-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maika View Post
This thread is making me more and more glad I live in Australia...because I can't even get my head around the idea of coloured applesauce and colour changing desserts...the worst I've had to cope with is green ketchup, and I managed to avoid that one.

Then again, dd is massively chemically intolerant anyway, so we mostly avoid the supermarket all together, and hit the Farmers' Market and the organic vegie delivery service instead, so no artificial horrible anything in either of those places.
Yeah, a lot of countries, particularly in Scandinavia, have banned many food additives that we continue to use in North America.
I have a great book about it, called: "Hard to Swallow: The Truth About Food Additives". Though it actually is a Canadian book (so few out there!) and half the book is actually the legislation regarding food additives.

4 kids under 10
#304 of 439 Old 04-08-2007, 11:19 AM

Have you seen the new Oscar Meyer hot dogs that come already in a bun? It says just nuke the whole thing for 30 seconds and it's done!
Gross! Nuked hot dogs- is that even food anymore or does it turn into something else?

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#305 of 439 Old 09-03-2007, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Time for a resuscitation of this thread! Because I just saw that the grocery store now has packages of hardboiled, peeled eggs. I can't imagine how rubbery they must be, nor what chemicals they must require to have a shelf-life.

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#306 of 439 Old 09-03-2007, 10:30 PM

I don't remember if 'Grapples' or whatever they are have been added to the thread yet. Those are the shrink wrapped apples w/ artifical grape flavoring.
#307 of 439 Old 09-03-2007, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedalbj View Post
I don't remember if 'Grapples' or whatever they are have been added to the thread yet. Those are the shrink wrapped apples w/ artifical grape flavoring.
'cause apples in their natural state are so hard to stomach!

#308 of 439 Old 09-03-2007, 10:46 PM

what about the sausage links breaded in pankcake batter and fried with the syrup inside that oozes out when you bite into them?OMG PUKE!!!
#309 of 439 Old 09-03-2007, 10:52 PM

Omg, this is the living dead thread. It's been resurrected more times than the leftover pasta in my fridge. That's the sad part though, it will never die because food manufacturers will always be thinking up new and gross stuff to feed the unsuspecting public. I just think it's remarkable how lazy people really are. A hot dog already in a bun? Ugh. One more thing to include in my rant about gross food...
#310 of 439 Old 09-03-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzie View Post
what about the sausage links breaded in pankcake batter and fried with the syrup inside that oozes out when you bite into them?OMG PUKE!!!
I read this outloud to DH and he said mmmm sounds yummy! YUCK!!!! That's really really gross. I can't believe he likes the idea, oh well, good thing I'm here to help him not process himself to death!

Mama to Clara 5/2/06, & Anna 11/4/08 and wife to Dan 6/8/02
#311 of 439 Old 09-05-2007, 02:24 AM

My husband and I did our own "superfries" experiment with Mcdonaldsa few years ago. Put a piece of hamburger cheese on the dash with a tiny fry. The sunniest place in the car and they looked pretty much the same months later.

Have you seen the new fruit loop roll up candy? YUCKY YUCKY YUCKY.
#312 of 439 Old 09-05-2007, 12:33 PM

OMG ROFLLLL...

This is awesome.

I am thinking of that ice-cream in the shops (not packaged, but nasty) that is SO bright red, green, yellow, blue. It has to be 50 percent food coloring. I can't imagine any parent letting their kids have that stuff.

There are so many icky things being advertised in the mags. Lets see... (Flipping through BH&G)-- sugar-free preserves (tried this while pg with GD, and it was inedible); your Uncrustables which have been mentioned; Rice Crispy treats; sodas, and random mixed "juices" and "pasta salds" which are just nasty to me, period.

ALL of this stuff is being advertised as healthy. Even the "diet" soda!

I grew up on Chef Boyardee ravioli, Kraft Mac-and-cheese, and Hamburger Helper. I'll probably fall over dead any day now.

ETA: What is this stuff Minute Maid has out called Enhanced Juices? It's marketed by the Coca-cola Company. I don't trust it.
#313 of 439 Old 09-05-2007, 12:44 PM

Oh do y'all remember Tang? LOL
#314 of 439 Old 09-05-2007, 07:19 PM

<<I grew up on Chef Boyardee ravioli, Kraft Mac-and-cheese, and Hamburger Helper. I'll probably fall over dead any day now.>>

I am sure all the preservatives will give you a long shelf life

Kathryn
#315 of 439 Old 09-05-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervee View Post
Time for a resuscitation of this thread! Because I just saw that the grocery store now has packages of hardboiled, peeled eggs. I can't imagine how rubbery they must be, nor what chemicals they must require to have a shelf-life.
Actually, my dad used to work in an egg plant. The hard-boiled eggs are not usually "preserved". They're usually just shelled, packed in water (brine?) and vaccuum packed. They will keep a couple weeks like that, refrigerated. They do get rubbery though, which is just a side effect of heat-packaging.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#316 of 439 Old 09-05-2007, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzie View Post
I don't know about the syrup inside already, but the hospital I used to work at had these and they were awesom! Just sausage in pancake batter fried like corn dogs. OMG they are addictive!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#317 of 439 Old 09-05-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Actually, my dad used to work in an egg plant.
An egg plant? : You know I'm picturing him working away inside a large purple vegetable. (It is a vegetable right?)
#318 of 439 Old 09-05-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
An egg plant? : You know I'm picturing him working away inside a large purple vegetable. (It is a vegetable right?)
LOL!!

An eggplant is botanically a fruit, but generally considered a vegetable, yes.

That's hilarious.

He worked at an egg processing plant, is that better?

We had an egg farm when I was a kid which he sold to a corp and then went to work for them.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#319 of 439 Old 09-05-2007, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Actually, my dad used to work in an egg plant. The hard-boiled eggs are not usually "preserved". They're usually just shelled, packed in water (brine?) and vaccuum packed. They will keep a couple weeks like that, refrigerated. They do get rubbery though, which is just a side effect of heat-packaging.
Oh, thanks!

#320 of 439 Old 09-06-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was picturing that.
#321 of 439 Old 09-06-2007, 12:57 AM

Dinosaur crunch ice cream. It must have every artificial color and flavour know to humankind.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#322 of 439 Old 09-06-2007, 01:25 AM

2 things I can think of off the top of my head.

Chocolate milk straws. Sraws with chocolate inside them so when you drink your milk it turns chocolate.

Cereal straws. Cereal rolled into a straw so that kids can drink the milk out of their bowls. Imagine how nasty and messy that would be. YUCKO

I have this thing about straws I guess. lol
#323 of 439 Old 09-06-2007, 01:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
ooh, what about

"potted meat-food product!"

what the hell do you think that even means? no, never mind, i don't think we really want to know.
Pig anus.:
#324 of 439 Old 09-06-2007, 01:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisha View Post
This thread is a scream. Two stories to relate:

Baby sees new pediatrician at Kaiser Permanente. Baby is 5 months old and just starting rice cereal. Doctor argues with Mommy that jarred baby foods are OK and that Mommy is deluding herself if she thinks she can a) work outside home b) breastfeed baby for as long as possible c) make her own baby food. Um, excuse me? I cook for myself and hubby so what would I do for baby? I mean, how hard is it to mash a banana for goodness sake? Hey, I live in California and have access to year round farmers' markets. I don't think I'm going to feed baby something out of a jar... Oh, and I don't think I'll be seeing that doctor again soon, either. (Sorry to rant)

I did all of the above. I worked outside the home full-time while my DH stayed home. I pumped at work and at home, and breastfed also until my DD was two and a half. I also made my own baby food with this , and it was simple as can be and basically free -- I just ground up whatever I was eating and my DD never had any problem with only wanting to eat X, Y, or Z.

Baby food in jars is a REAL rip-off. And gross. Tell your doctor he's full of it.
#325 of 439 Old 09-06-2007, 01:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedalbj View Post
Given the description, I'm sure you misspelled the name of this product.:
#326 of 439 Old 09-06-2007, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipmummy View Post
Dinosaur crunch ice cream. It must have every artificial color and flavour know to humankind.
I think that's the one dh and I affectionately refer to as "Smurf in a blender"

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#327 of 439 Old 09-06-2007, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7kiddosmom View Post
Chocolate milk straws. Sraws with chocolate inside them so when you drink your milk it turns chocolate.
That sounds kinda yummy to me. The cereal straws, not so much. :

I also like the sounds of those sausages wrapped in pancake batter. I would totally dip them in maple syrup. I don't know about buying them aready made though. That sounds revolting. But I'd make 'em. I think I have the munchies
#328 of 439 Old 09-06-2007, 12:04 PM

Haven't read anything, but for a gag christmas gift for white elephant one year, I bought a jar of Pickled Cactus. It looked like slimy little green fries in a jar. Yummy! NOT! the guy who got it got drunk enough at the party to try a piece. I thought he was gonna hurl!
#329 of 439 Old 09-06-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajama View Post

I also like the sounds of those sausages wrapped in pancake batter. I would totally dip them in maple syrup. I don't know about buying them aready made though. That sounds revolting. But I'd make 'em. I think I have the munchies
: I adored those when I was a kid....sweet and salty at the same time! Now, I would probably think they are disgusting, so I'm just going to let them be yummy in memory.

Has anyone posted a link to this blog yet?

Steve, Don't Eat it!

It's gross, but hilarious!!
#330 of 439 Old 09-06-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw826 View Post
I don't know about the syrup inside already, but the hospital I used to work at had these and they were awesom! Just sausage in pancake batter fried like corn dogs. OMG they are addictive!
Yeah, this is what I ate....not with syrup in them. That's weird.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page