what's the grossest packaged food you've seen? - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 439 Old 09-18-2007, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
And... the number 1 most disgusting food... HEAD CHEESE!!!
I can't be the only one who likes headcheese. I've loved it since I was little!

There is this gum called 'tongue splashers' that are so full of dye that they dye your teeth and tongue disgusting colors. I LOVED them when I was a kid, ummm I used to also get really sick every time I ate them, but my mom told me I would learn to handle them, and she always kept a big bucket of them around for me. Very gross.
#362 of 439 Old 09-18-2007, 10:33 PM

Liverwurst. And I used to LOVE the stuff as a kid.:Puke
#363 of 439 Old 09-22-2007, 02:18 AM

Generally any food that would normally need to be refridgerated, yet is sold in a can (i.e. meats/cheeses although I should use both of those terms loosely!) pretty much grosses me out. And powered cheeses...that, I just don't get. And I know its been mentioned but that green ketchup....really messed me up. Reminded me of caterpillar guts..I don't think I need to explain further!
#364 of 439 Old 09-22-2007, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
blue french fries. no, the CHOCOLATE french fries.
Yep, this would be top of my list too. I couldn't believe it when I saw that blue color of fries in the supermarket.

maxmommy, while I've never seen frozen pre-made sushi, that is pretty darn nasty sounding!
#365 of 439 Old 05-13-2008, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glh View Post
Those baby food meatsticks, they just look disgusting to me.
Oh man, those things are delicious! I'd buy them for the kids, but ended up eating them all myself.

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#366 of 439 Old 05-13-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jish View Post
I have to echo my disgust for the CHOCOLATE FLAVORED FRENCH FRIES (as well as the other disgusting flavors.) I just happened to walk by a big display of them at the store the other day and when I saw what they were I said "oh, gross" -- evidentally I said it really loud since everyone near that aisle turned and looked at me. Just looking at the package made my physically gag. I was afraid I was going to heave, so I hightailed it to the checkout line.

I also think the different color ketchup is soooo gross!

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
#367 of 439 Old 05-13-2008, 09:45 PM

I'm sure there are people here who will disagree with me because I have a friend who can't wait for Easter every year so she can have one of these but I think the Cadbury Creme Eggs are disgusting. The whole "yolk" thing just about makes me want to :Puke. And believe me, it takes a lot for me to be turned off by something that is chocolate and sugar.
#368 of 439 Old 05-13-2008, 10:33 PM

I've seen individually packaged cheese burgers (with the burger, cheese, pickle, sauce etc in the middle of a bun) frozen at Costco. That's totally disgusting to me! Must be an American thing?
#369 of 439 Old 05-13-2008, 10:39 PM

yeah, schwans sells premade heat-and-eat burgers and chicken sandwiches, too. no, thank you.

spray cheese in a can. blech. and i'm not a big fan of cheez-wiz either.

i love those baby food meat sticks/hot dogs!

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
#370 of 439 Old 05-13-2008, 11:15 PM

White Castle hamburgers.
#371 of 439 Old 05-13-2008, 11:26 PM

Frozen grilled cheese sandwiches.

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
#372 of 439 Old 05-14-2008, 12:30 AM

How about those frozen sausages that are wrapped with a chocolate chip pancake? Is that really necessary?
#373 of 439 Old 05-14-2008, 01:19 AM

spray cheese is just SICK. Those nasty pink hot dogs - our church thinks they have to serve them for every event we have.
#374 of 439 Old 05-14-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomformore View Post
Frozen grilled cheese sandwiches.
eeewwwwwwwwwwww!

for intuitive readings click here :
#375 of 439 Old 05-14-2008, 12:57 PM

I generally avoid the package food aisles so I haven't seen a lot of what's posted.

To the pp who dissed turkey bacon, I've bought both turkey and chicken bacon and it's so good you just have to cook it right. Basically only needs to be heated up, any longer and you will get tough bacon.
#376 of 439 Old 05-14-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervee View Post
This might just be the grossest packaged food I've seen. An ad for this in Sunday's paper: "Uncrustables"--a peanut butter & jam "sandwich" that comes as a round frozen patty. And I quote:

"The easy way to PB&J--just thaw & serve! Soft bread gives kids the fresh taste of homemade! Kids love no crust!"

As if PB&J is so hard to make...

That's just nasty.
My kids love these!
#377 of 439 Old 05-14-2008, 06:53 PM

My sister tried to sell me on the Uncrustables last time I was home. They were completely vile.

I keep coming back to something I've seen in grocery stores a few times, but no time recently, so maybe it no longer exists? Boston Brown Bread that you bake in a can? Ew.

Oh, it still exists.
#378 of 439 Old 05-20-2008, 01:00 AM

I read this entire thread through out the day. It was pretty funny to look back on some of the things I remember from a few years ago like the blue fries and peanut butter slices.

This thread also made me feel guilty. I try to feed my kids well and I would like it to be a whole foods diet all the time but we buy fun convience foods on occasion for a treat. My kids think the crappy stuff is a real cook treat

One thing I find totally nasty are those cheap freezer queen entrees and the little $1 banquet tv dinners. I see so many people loading their carts with those. Those meals are not even close to being a balances meal. I do admit that my kids like to get those or a kid cusine meal maybe once or twice a month for a treat. Ugh, yup it is bad and I feel awful sometimes.

Sadly in our economy it is so much cheaper to go out and load a cart up with this fake food than it is to get healthy stuff. Sometimes when money is really tight here (like it has been lately) I have to make the choice between buying three loaves of lower quality bread that will last a week and a half or buying really nice bread that will last us 3 days

Ok here I will add one food no one mentioned.....gas station items like those hot pink pickled sausages and the meat sticks that are packaged with a stick of mushy cheese. The meat stick part is gross enough but cheese should not be able to sit in a package on a shelf for months with out molding. That is just not right.

flower.gif Amanda flower.gif

Conservative, Christian, and Crunchy!

Wife of T, Mom of Z18, E15, M14, and D10.

Praying for a Reversal Blessing! 

#379 of 439 Old 05-20-2008, 09:31 AM

This thread is really funny yet really terrifying!!
I was in HS when the green ketchup came out. I did a lot of the cooking for our family then and I used to love to make meatloaf in shapes...and usually topped it in (red) ketchup. Well, it was christmas time and I had the idea of making a christmas tree shaped meatloaf...and topping it with a ketchup tree...green ketchup for the tree and red ketchup for decorations. By the time the meatloaf came out of the oven, the entire thing had a sickly green tinge!! No one would touch it! That was the day I officially started reading ingredients and gave up artificial colorings! I do almost entirely organic, whole foods now, but my mom is still a big fan of the scary prepackaged foods...

While the crazy foods marketed for American children are frightening, I've found some of the scariest prepackaged foods at a big Asian market near my house. I think the worst was "Vegetarian Mock Pork Product"....came in a can. It's a whole line of vegetarian mock meat products....eeewww!

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#380 of 439 Old 05-20-2008, 04:25 PM

I just came across this forum and skimmed through and am cracking up! I saw those brigh peptobismal pink sausages in a shop in South Africa once...didn't know they had them here! Ick!! That was before I got crunchy and I thought they were gross then!!

LOL, this reminds me of the food I grew up on...vienna sausages, "fruit" drink that contains less than 10% juice, Sunny D, Kid Cuisine, white bread! My DH grew up the same way and his parents and grandparents still eat that way and that's what they fix when we go. They just think I'm a picky B****!! Last time we were in, DH's grandma was telling me about these great single serving of Hamburger helpers she was eating every day for lunch and brough one out to show me...just add water...Yum! There's even *Real* meat inside!! That'll be good with the instant coffee they drink by the gallon every day! Ick!

Hahahaha!
#381 of 439 Old 05-20-2008, 05:21 PM

agree on the uncrustables. i vote for batter blasters, and cheez whiz

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#382 of 439 Old 05-20-2008, 05:24 PM

I actually like to get the organic yogurt tubes, freeze them, and offer them as an alternative when the neighbor kids are getting popsicles from the ice cream truck. But I treat them as dessert.
#383 of 439 Old 05-20-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlykisses View Post
Ok here I will add one food no one mentioned.....gas station items like those hot pink pickled sausages and the meat sticks that are packaged with a stick of mushy cheese. The meat stick part is gross enough but cheese should not be able to sit in a package on a shelf for months with out molding. That is just not right.

My ex boyfriend used to get those things. I hated to kiss him for hours after. *shudders
#384 of 439 Old 05-25-2008, 03:17 PM

lunchables,
conventional frozen premade anything, like breakfast burritos, sausage and egg sandwiches, etc.
mock vegetarian meat products.
gogurts (how in the world can anyone consider those things "yogurt?"
hormel canned spaghetti and meatballs or kid cuisine. I used to feed all this stuff to the kids I nannied for because they never had anything fresh in the house. yuck

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#385 of 439 Old 05-25-2008, 03:21 PM

What are gogurts?

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#386 of 439 Old 05-25-2008, 03:48 PM

nasty yogurt in a plastic tube that kids eat by pushing it up.

We saw a comedian on Letterman talking about how kids these days can't use silverware because of gogurt then fell all over ourselves in the grocery store laughing like idiots when we saw gogurt in the dairy case the next day. I have to have gogurt because I don't know how to use a spoon! DS and I were cackling and could hardly breathe and must have looked like we'd lost our minds.

for intuitive readings click here :
#387 of 439 Old 05-26-2008, 12:01 AM

"treet"!!! Does anyone know what I'm talking about?? UGH! It's along the lines of vienna sausages and spam!:Puke

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#388 of 439 Old 05-26-2008, 03:12 AM

I have always been grossed out by Gogurt. It's ultra artificial sugary pudding packaged in little plastic tubes that you squirt right into your mouth...Mmmm :Puke

eta:
Quote:
nasty yogurt in a plastic tube that kids eat by pushing it up.
I just read your reply after posting mine, LOL. Yep, Gogurt is pretty nasty.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#389 of 439 Old 05-26-2008, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post
I actually like to get the organic yogurt tubes, freeze them, and offer them as an alternative when the neighbor kids are getting popsicles from the ice cream truck. But I treat them as dessert.
I do the same thing, minus the ice cream truck (I live in the middle of nowhere, no kids or ice cream except what's in my house on both counts).
#390 of 439 Old 05-26-2008, 03:29 PM

This thread was too funny!!! I read the whole thing!

One thing I didn't see here was the crayola colored bottled water. I don't remember if there was any flavoring added but they were the basic colors red, blue, yellow, and green. I have to say I stood there and stared at them for awhile!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page