what's the grossest packaged food you've seen? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 439 Old 08-26-2002, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What about those pig's feet and chicken necks!!! YUCK! Or Snails, oysters, clams (sorry I have a limited pallet when it comes to certain stuff!)
#62 of 439 Old 08-26-2002, 10:01 PM

I made a cake this weekend for my son's 3rd birthday and I added the blue food color myself! It was a blue car - 3D and very cool looking. But I had green poop today, so what about my toddler neices and nephews. Eeek!

And after the cake my brother asked me for Spray and Wash and I only had environmentally friendly laundry soap.

It was the first time I ever did something like this (add alot of blue dye to food) and I must admit that I thought of all the mamas on the Mothering Board and the fact that as a LLL member our goal is to eat food in it's most natural state. Blue frosting - how natural.

I admit I think I'm getting worse about food. My son loves chewy rubbery "fruit" snacks (and I sort of like them too) AND I buy them.

And I used to be really against McDonalds and my son can recognize the golden arches and says "Mommy, there is Old McDonalds". I need to pick up my copy of "Fast Food Nation"!

K

P.S. About corn - at least it has fiber!
#63 of 439 Old 08-27-2002, 09:39 AM

The colored foods are scary,indeed. I also get disgusted by all those wasteful "convenience" foods,the single servings of mac & cheese and such that get microwaved.They also sell cereal,milk,and a throw-away bowl all packaged together for the extremely lazy breakfaster. It's all so sad,and where I live it seems everybody but me thinks it's all great.
#64 of 439 Old 08-28-2002, 06:21 PM

I love this thread! DH and I love looking into other people's baskets at the grocery store. I usually notice that the predominant colors are red and white...white flour everything and red meat.

I have to agree though--pizza lunchables are disgusting. Who wants a cold pizza with squeezable cheese and squeezable sauce. And like somebody else said -- they now have them where you can mix something with it and change colors of the sauce -- or something like that. And dessert lunchables...just what kids need after their pop tart or chocolate cereal breakfast and their squeezable pizza lunch. YUCK! YUCK! YUCK!

And green and purple ketchup? And pink and blue margarine? And the chocolate french fries have got to go...and what about the new thing they have at local convenience stores...it's some sort of cup inside a cup...you put soda in one cup and fill up the inner cup with an icee. I get a cavity just thinking of all that sugar.

And finally...the mcGriddles at McDonald's...I don't even know exactly what they are...but it looks like mc D's chemical laden meat surrounded by their chemical laden eggs with a syrup flavored muffin around it...

Oh yes...and my all time favorite recently...bread without crust!
#65 of 439 Old 08-28-2002, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Finally saw purple ketchup this weekend - NASTINESS!!!

I also saw the IRONKIDS Crustless bread - bizarre.

I have to admit - one of my all time favorite junk food treats is the spray chees with bugles. You put the cheese indside the bugles and it is really good - in a salty not natural sort of way.

Some of these things are beyond gross...yucky yucky yucky.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#66 of 439 Old 08-29-2002, 01:18 PM

Oh yeah -- how could I forget waffuls? Eggo waffles filled with syrup or some other "fruit" concoction. YUCK!!

I'm going grocery shopping this evening...I'm sure I'll remember a few more.

And I'll make a confession too...I do love fruit roll ups. I don't buy them or eat them on a regular basis, but tehy are good.
#67 of 439 Old 08-29-2002, 03:38 PM

Definitely those jars of baby food "meat sticks." Turns my stomach just to look at them!

And those frozen PB and J sandwiches. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
#68 of 439 Old 08-31-2002, 03:11 AM

this thread is so funny...and sad.

When I was home I couldn't believe all the non-food items in the store. It was stacked to the ceiling. Snack cakes, fried chips, fat, sugar and artifical flavor and color. You wouldn't put substandard fuel in your car why would you do that to your (or your kid's) body!!!?

My vote for yuckkiest food is all baby food in those little jars. Even the organic fruit here was so full of citric acid as a preservative that it tasted horrible.

And margarine. Hardened oil? Yuck!

Any soft drink. There is NOTHING good for your in soda. Chemicals, sugar or more chemicals, carbonation. Why don't they just call it 'Hemlock' and get it over with?

I want to defend green ketchup though. That is from a special green tomato.

And they had french fries here that were made from ground up carrots and spinach.

BYW did you know that the customs agents confiscate American food coloring here? If the Dutch don't want it..why do the Americans?
#69 of 439 Old 08-31-2002, 03:50 AM

Frozen lasagna dinners. They are ggrrooossss.

And what's up with them frozen store-bought pizza pops?

Not only have I seen these but have sampled them myself.......yuck!
#70 of 439 Old 08-31-2002, 10:36 PM

There may be brands of green ketchup that are made from a green tomato, but I doubt this one is it: http://ezsquirt.com/ Where does purple and pink come from? I think I would upchuck if I saw this on a veggie dog!!!

Erin
#71 of 439 Old 08-31-2002, 11:02 PM

aircantu1 said

Quote:
what about the new thing they have at local convenience stores...it's some sort of cup inside a cup...you put soda in one cup and fill up the inner cup with an icee. I get a cavity just thinking of all that sugar.
blushing as i admit, i got one of those tonite. a slurp 'n' gulp from 7-11. Mine was Dr. Pepper with Dr. Pepper icee in the middle. and it was GOOD!

hey, i don't drink, or smoke, or use illegal drugs- i gotta have SOME fun!

colored margarine, though- YUCK!

love, Jenny
#72 of 439 Old 09-01-2002, 09:20 AM

When my older children were babies (14 to 20 years ago) Heinz made dried baby food - dry flakes - sort of like the flake fish food. There were veggies, fruits, cereals, meats, and combo dinners. They were seasoned with things like garlic and onion - which was vastly different from most baby food at that time and were supposed to have less preservatives and sugar in them than what the others had because they were freeze dried. Ya just mixed them up with water and spooned them into the baby...

Back then - being a bit more naive - I thought they were fabulous. Now I wonder just what it was that my kids ate anyway! I have noticed they are not still on the market. Very scary eh?
#73 of 439 Old 09-01-2002, 05:02 PM

[quote]And what's up with them frozen store-bought pizza pops? [quote/]

What are these? Are they on a stick? I have this horribly gross picture in my mind of kids licking frozen pizza flavored popsicles that melt down there arms if they don't eat them fast enough in the hot weather.

Eeew!
#74 of 439 Old 09-02-2002, 06:44 AM

I have to give another vote for the jell-o in a tube....yuck....
#75 of 439 Old 09-02-2002, 11:41 PM

yeah -- what are pizza pops? sounds disgusting...
#76 of 439 Old 09-03-2002, 02:17 AM

I am enjoying this thread so much, I really needed a good laugh. I was at my mom's the other day and saw bacon that doesn't need refrigerated, I don't think you even have to cook it. I almost lost my veggie lunch. Tried to tell mom how bad thats goota be for you but she would have none of my phanaticness (It's late, I'm making up my own words) She says the bacon is good-yuck!! Luckily I also found the blue mac and cheese and the kool aid before she could feed it to dd.:
#77 of 439 Old 09-03-2002, 10:02 AM

My parents were at a cook out this weekend. The family at a table next to them had BLUE BUTTER in a squirt tube and they put it on their baked potatoes and the texas toast they were grilling on the grill. I'm sick just thinking about it.
#78 of 439 Old 09-03-2002, 04:15 PM

??? Why does everything have to be blue ?
#79 of 439 Old 09-09-2002, 02:20 PM

I was just watching the food channel and Cornell U--came up with carbonated bubble gum and orange flavored milk--b/c kids arent drinking enough milk! They actually had a registered nurse saying how wonderful it was b/c se sees so many kids with so many health problems b/c they dont drink milk---maybe they have all those issues b/c they do drink milk!!!---sorry thats the beginning of another topic.
#80 of 439 Old 09-10-2002, 01:14 PM

While it's certainly not the grossest, a new product that has me the most disturbed for some reason has popped up in my market's produce isle. It's the single shrink-wrapped potato.

For some reason it just bugs me that somebody would take a perfectly good, self contained, readily transported potato and put an entirely unnecessary sheet of fossil fuel derived plastic around it. Why on earth would you do this? If you are a household of one, and need to buy a single potato, I fail to see how this is an improvement.
#81 of 439 Old 09-10-2002, 05:20 PM

What is even worse about those shrink wrapped potatoes is that my grocer advertises them as "microwave ready". Now that IS gross! Not only would it taste disgusting but I guess they think it would be too much trouble for a person to just wrap a potato themselves. Next thing you know they will come all ready stuffed full of butter and sourcream.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#82 of 439 Old 09-10-2002, 05:29 PM

Potatos taste best in the microwave when they are washed, massaged with a bit of olive oil and lightly salted, then wrapped in a paper towel. So no potato in plastic would be microwave ready for me!!!!!
#83 of 439 Old 09-10-2002, 09:55 PM

My vote is Baby Formula.

Especially as it is fed to those least able to object.

(With apologies to those who formula fed/feed out of necessity)
#84 of 439 Old 09-10-2002, 10:22 PM

You can buy ready to bake potatoes in our supermarket here. 3 potatoes, each individually wrapped in gold foil, then put in a cardboard tray, and the whole thing wrapped in plastic. Never mind that potatoes are much better baked naked, not wrapped, it's just so much waste.
#85 of 439 Old 09-10-2002, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
yuck yuck yuck!!!
Okay - I have another one.
It was my bday this weekend and we had a party...well..dh did the shopping and I had asked for french onion dip. Fave snack when made well. He brought home Frito Lay in a pop top can with no refrig needed. Gross gross. I didn't eat any after the first bite. YUCKY! didn't even taste like onions. or sour cream....or anything.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#86 of 439 Old 09-11-2002, 03:39 AM

Anything that normally should be refrigerated but somehow doesnt' need to be.

The little coffee creamers that don't need chilling, for example. Or those boxed dinners for the micro that aren't in the freezer -- have you seen those? They contain MEAT, but can sit on the shelf? The cereal-and-milk bars. If it's milk, why doesn't it spoil?

I just don't want to know what's in them to preserve them that way. *shudder*
#87 of 439 Old 09-11-2002, 09:39 PM

Pig brains in milk-canned.
No, I'm not kidding. I'm really, really,(cough-gag), serious.

I've never seen the peanut butter "slices", thats soooo funny, a little frightning, but funny none the less
~Tamara
#88 of 439 Old 09-11-2002, 11:25 PM

Pizza pops are those closed little pitas that contain "some kind of meat" a bit of cheese and mostly tomato sauce in a combination to try to fool you into thinking that you are really eating something with food value. After eating one - about ten or fifteen minutes later - you are just as hungry as after eating a bag of chips (which I very rarely eat, maybe once a year) Makes me wonder why when you've eaten well, your stomach and brain feel satisfied, not hungry again. I like real food. With ingredients I know about.
#89 of 439 Old 09-12-2002, 12:20 AM

Individually wrapped potatoes? Interesting...

and carbonated milk? gross!
#90 of 439 Old 09-12-2002, 03:36 AM
e&r

We've had fun reading this thread, so much so that we registered to respond (although our baby isn't due for another 2 months). The disgusting foodstuffs reminded us of a wonderful 'zine (now website and book) which mocks and analyzes consumer and marketing culture called "Beer Frame: The Journal of Inconspicuous Consumption." We went to the website
www.core77.com/inconspicuous
and the first thing we saw was the green ketchup. The color's full name is "Blastin' Green!" You'll get a kick out of the other food related products that are mentioned, like Men's Pocky Sticks (a Japanese candy/pretzel thing), other foods with "Blastin'!" in their names, and orange corn-pop cereal marketed as basketball cereal. There are tons of absurd and disgusting products to keep you entertained for quite a while.
Have fun!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page