what's the grossest packaged food you've seen? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2002, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brookesmom, I remember smokie links with "cheeze" injected in them. Is that what you're thinking of? Haven't thought of them in years. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2002, 02:09 PM

I saw *multi-colored* Goldfish crackers the other day. They're various shades of red... maroon, purply-red,...

I know they're artificially colored anyway, but why take the next step? Eeeeew.

Wife and Mama who homeschools-- mostly in the kitchen!
Old 10-16-2002, 02:11 PM

If it hasn't already been mentioned- blue pudding. The thought of it gags me!!!!
Old 10-17-2002, 04:13 PM

calgal007, these were actual hot dogs- I still remember my friend eating them cold out of the package sometimes!! My other best friend and neighbor had the peanut butter and grape jelly swirled together. Between those two, I saw lots of disgusting foodstuff !
Old 10-18-2002, 05:55 PM

Once I saw, in a health food store, these deep fried cheese things. They came in little bags-no refridgeration. There was, I think, 640 mg of sodium per serving Someone had a bag & I tried one just out of curiousity. They were about the size of a mini ritz cracker, maybe smaller. As soon as it went in my mouth, it felt like all the water was sucked out by the salt
Old 10-27-2002, 07:13 PM

Okay... when DH and I were first hanging out there was an asian market near his house.. We used to go there and wander around checking out the crazy stuff they had.. We LOVE the english on the packaging - you gotta wonder if they had any idea what they are talking about, kwim? This is a bit off topic, but our favorite package ever was for some kind of cookie thing that they called "French Pie: As Wonderful as Romantic Feeling" LOL

Now back to the disgusting food topic.. At this same store we came across something in the meat dept that they called "Barbeque Pork".. It was half of a face of a pig! you could see where the eye had been, and the half of snout, and it still had teeth!!!! All shrink wrapped on a styrofoam tray!! Definitely THE most disgusting thing we have ever seen!! This place also sold trays like that full of like 6 baby octopus (octopi?) Gross...

edited for spelling...
Old 10-29-2002, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Corn dogs are way up on my list. I still have memories of the school lunch ones - the "meat" was gray! On the school lunch theme, overcooked succotash was also very gross. I also remember these "cheese fries" that we had in high school that I liked at the time but are actually pretty revolting.

Grocery store neon-colored frosted birthday cakes and cupcakes

Those weird little fruit "gel" cups

I also second the Lunchables - cold and clammy - yuk and the potted meat products

I have to admit that we ate pigs' feet in aspic when I was a kid and I liked that a lot.

*rant coming...*

By the way, I was happy that someone early on in this thread mentioned children eating food with respect. In the country my parents are from, people would kiss a piece of bread if it fell on the floor. We have tried hard to teach our daughter to be thankful for food and to not play with it. "Food fights" are a uniquely American concept - everywhere else in the world, hunger is too recent a concept to ever allow something like that! Why does food have to be considered a toy (funny colors and all)?

*off my soapbox*

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Old 01-28-2003, 09:58 PM

I saw a cheeseburger on a stick.

It's ground beef and cheese all mixed up in a bun, shaped and put on a stick just like a corn dog. BLECH! As if corn dogs aren't bad enough.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:23 AM

http://www.bad-candy.com/old/bc3/

they're getting ready to put up a new site, but here's the old one, for those of you who wanna get grossed out some more...

what about those deep-fried mars bars in scotland?
(in the fish & chips oil, ew!)

i hate to admit it, but my dd likes vienna sausages and got sam hooked on those nasty gerber meat sticks... i want to brush his teeth before i nurse him after that, yuck!

my first thoughts seeing the thread were 'blue fries and shrink-wrapped potatoes'.

at my old armenian market, they had sheep's heads that the guys at my ex dead dh's work used to put in the microwave and he would watch them spin around & around...

and right now, i am drinking a 'natural!!!' new drink (only because my dd lost the cap & it would 'go to waste', & i'm too thirsty, tired, & in need of calories to care)- 'Soy Juicy!'
'Soy Nasty!' is more like it- bleah. yeah, just the way it comes in nature (well, at least it's non-gmo). Soymilk mixed with white grape juice concentrate (so you don't have 'added sugar'- lol, yeah, concentrated white grape juice has *nada* to do with *sugar*.) They did have to add: 'Not for use as an infant formula.'

suse
Old 01-30-2003, 12:33 PM

Esplynn, your post reminded me of my favorite mistranslations on food packages. I once saw a jar of imported Italian pasta sauce that was so funny I had to buy it as a gift for my warped brother. After a few badly translated paragraphs, it concluded with the instructions, to "Decant it in a bedpan and boil it until it aromatizes." Mmmmmm.

We have a tin of Chinese tea in our cupboard that claims it "Turns strong men into gods" and has been prepared by the "traditional sanitary methods." Double mmmmm.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:12 AM

Grossest ever: a chicken salad sandwich wrapped in plastic--being sold at a grocery store & listed "chicken skin" as an ingredient.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:55 PM

This thread just gets funnier and funnier with age! I'm tempted to go to Chinatown just to read the English translations on the packages -- remembering of course, that I can't speak a SINGLE WORD of Mandarin, so I shouldn't feel too smug . . .
Old 01-31-2003, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I lived in Japan for two years and some of the stuff over there was pretty gross. Like dried squid strips. This was convenience store stuff. There's a 7-11 on every other street corner in Tokyo. Overall, though there was probably less sugar than in an american store. I remember Pocky Sticks. They're actually pretty good, not as sweet as a lot of American candy. The strawberry ones are better than the chocolate.

The all time grossest processed food I've ever seen, though, were the egg rolls they served in elementary school when I was a kid. I was about twelve when I discovered egg rolls weren't supposed to be filled with grey mush. The bad part is, I loved those things, and would actually eat them off the plates of my more sensible classmates!

If you've got a kid who wants some "different" applesauce, I've been getting some "harvest blends" (don't remember the brand name) they've got peach, berry, etc., unsweetened applesauce flavored with other fruit.

Those funky colored ketchups and pb&J together look pretty nasty, but I think the nastiest condiment on the shelf has got to be the mixed mustard-and-mayo.

One thing that my grocery store does that drives me nuts is that the only organic yogurt they sell is in little "baby serving" sized snack cups. Overpackaged, to say the least, and why should only babies get organic yogurt? I will say that I've noticed more and more actually healthy stuff in my local grocery stores, in addition to the ever-whackier packaged processed stuff. Organic veggies, Arrowhead mills, etc. seems to creep in more and more. It's nice to see, especially since my area hasn't got Wild Oats or Whole Foods or anything like that.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 01-31-2003, 02:57 PM

I heard that these were being served at some state fair, I think Arkansas? but not sure, I heard months ago on the radio. The dj's were explaining the process, first freeze the twinkie, then dip in batter & deep fry. Even they thought it was gross, but in the end said they would try it if it was offered to them.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:09 PM

Didn't go. Wouldn't eat 'em anyway. But they were apparently a big hit! UCK!
Old 01-31-2003, 03:20 PM

okay, i didnt read EVERY post here, so these may be repeats.

push up pops-food
they make chili cheese noodle push ups and some cheesy eggs, too

we bought them, cuz they were the LOONIEST thing EVER. They were terrible, obviously, we kept them in the frrezer, and offered them to guests, then just gave them to the guy upstairs (eats ANYTHING)

we have purple ketchup now, dh wanted it, ugh.

dh eats almost everything you guys have mentioned (even though he usually only eats pretty good, but instead of sweets, he gets things you all have mentioned as 'treats' (any canned meat/fish product they make-he even buys those packaged sqids and frys them)

I would eat a deep fried twinkie. I admit it. I am curious.

:sinister :sinister :sinister :sinister
Old 01-31-2003, 04:01 PM

OOOOH! I have a candidate for gross packaged food -- there is corned beef that is sold in a can -- not corned beef hash -- it is the most unnatural looking thing imaginable. DH grew up eating stuff like that; his momma (rest her soul) was the worst cook on the face of this planet. Poor DH reminds me of the character in "Gods and Monsters" who ate pan drippings as a child but was ashamed of it later in life. . .
Old 02-01-2003, 07:15 PM

ok, confession. i ate a deep fried snickers bar once at a pow wow. as if the fried bread wasn't greasy enough.: it was quite possibly the strangest thing i have ever eaten. a batter dipped deep fried snickers bar, how weird. someone had to have been stoned and pms'ing to have come up with that.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:05 PM

Anyone notice that Aunt Jamima now has colored maple syrup? It looks positively gross.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:59 AM

Well, let's see:

Infant formula (stinks!)

Hot dogs (and they have baby hot dogs in a jar for babies )

Any kind of meat/dairy product that doesn't have to be kept cold (must have like a million preservatives!)

Any kind of baby food (especially the ones containing meat!)

ugh!
Old 02-03-2003, 09:36 PM

I'm at work right now cracking up and being totally unproductive, but I have to weigh in on this hilarious, gross, and sad thread.

I second the Go-gurt (yogurt in a tube), baby meat sticks, cheese in a can, lunchables, and push-up stuff. Lucky for us, we live within walking distance of a Whole Foods, plus Trader Joes and other markets with lots of natural food choices. I never go to Safeway. It's sad how gimmicky food has gotten. What does it take to eat decent food?

A relative sent us a gift basket of assorted "foods" from Hickory Farms for Christmas. It contained so much disgusting stuff that I couldn't bear to even give it away... and think that someone else would eat it. Stuff like summer sausage, port wine cheese ball, this disgusting white nut brittle crap, limp hydrogenated oil baklava, gummy date bread... gross! The only value was the assorted little boxes that came with it... perfect for gifts. I threw out the food.

Finally, since I grew up on Chinese food and have been to Taiwan and other parts of Asia a few times, I feel as if I have to defend some of the animal-based foods. It grosses out Westerners, but a lot of that food is eaten because they didn't waste anything. It's hard to argue with that. Also, I think it is sooo important to know where your food comes from and that there is more to chicken than the white meat, and that fish doesn't come in sticks! Besides, there is actually quite a bit of nutritional value in organ meats.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:36 PM

oops, I hit "submit reply" twice, so I just removed the second posting.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:20 PM

I tried menudo two weeks ago, speaking of not wasting any part of an animal . . .
Old 02-04-2003, 01:34 PM

they are really gross. I am glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. Who needs a frozen PBJ???
Old 02-22-2003, 02:49 AM

& came across a few gems. Hunt's snack pack pudding in color that should've stayed in the crayon box. Maybe the marketing execs who come up with this stuff are the same ones who ate paste & crayons as kids, hmmm..... Anyway, there was an orange, a yellow, which said banana, but it was way too yellow, a lime-green color, & purple, I don't remember what the flavors were supposed to be on the last two, but, my those colors were bright, I think they rival the detergent commercials!!

The other oddity I encountered was colored tips to put on the top of a whipped cream can, to "add soft color accents." ingredients (i was curious) were basically sugar & artificial color. Said it was intended for one time use & should then be discarded. Gotta love our throw-away culture. I love it so much, I think we should just...throw it away. :
Old 02-24-2003, 03:13 AM

what I think is really gross is the bins of pre-prepared food in the deli display case at the grocery store. I just think of how long that stuff has been sitting there, uncovered nonetheless, and it turns my stomach. I just can't stand to look at it. Bins of potato salad, macaroni salad, ham salad, chicken and tuna salad and every kind of yucky salad imaginable, oh and tapioca pudding. They just look so yucky and dried out like they've been sitting there a LONG time. I just can't believe someone would walk by there and find that stuff appealing enough to buy!:
Old 02-24-2003, 01:46 PM

I didn't see this in the store, but I saw it in a magazine. You know how "go-gurt" is in a plastic squeeze tube thing...well, now they have skippy peanutbutter in one...Ugh! I still can't see a use for it, what is it so hard to peanutbutter a sandwhich at home? or some crackers?
Old 02-26-2003, 01:59 AM

Quote:
There was a vain in my Spam can once - that was the last can I ever bought! Now I'm vegitarian...
I had the same experience. It was huge and really gross!!! I will not eat Spam anymore. I very rarely eat ground beef. I used to eat it raw when I was a kid, before I knew any better. YUCK!! My stepdad had gotten me to eat it raw, because he did. Of course, I also ate catfood as a child!! My stepdad used to eat sardines on buttered crackers. YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!

I am starting to wonder if what my ds eats is what is making him so nasty all the time...he is really moody. At least he prefers the homemade mac+cheese over boxed...
Old 02-26-2003, 04:42 AM

i just saw individual slices of peanut butter. eew. it was warm & bendy, yuck. who is that LAZY!
Old 02-27-2003, 03:57 PM

If I were ever inclined to try Spam I have certainly changed my mind after reading this thread....... I am stuck at my sister's house today and bored and hungry...... My kingdom for a salad. Let's see what's in her fridge.............. Colored ketchup, go-gurt,, lunchables, just as I suspected almost every item mentioned in this thread can be found here......
I swear sometimes I am adopted.

Stephany

User Tag List