what's the grossest packaged food you've seen? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 439 Old 05-08-2003, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thomas has new waffles that "dont need to be frozen" so how many preservatives are in those babies that they can sit out on the shelf?

I'm with you on all the colored foods--groce--what's wrong with the natural color of things which are often very pretty!

also fruit leather can actually be very healthy--pureed fruit in the dehydrator

Malissa
#182 of 439 Old 05-08-2003, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PJsmomma
Thomas has new waffles that "dont need to be frozen" so how many preservatives are in those babies that they can sit out on the shelf?
LOL... when those waffles came out I was thrilled to eat 'fresh' waffles. LOL I finally wised up and bought a $9.99 waffle maker. Now I make my own waffles, toss them in a freezer bag/container and toast as needed.
#183 of 439 Old 05-08-2003, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KathinJapan
For funny English check out www.engrish.com
Kathryn
bun in the oven, due 2003
I've seen that website before...too funny! Although, I could not believe what sayings & words people will wear printed on their shirts! I have to imagine that many of the older ladies wearing vulgar shirts are happily unaware.
#184 of 439 Old 05-08-2003, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i agree with the others and their level of disgust and i cannot imagine what all those dyes do to the system, and we eat way too much processed foods for a supposed vegan family. My kids had those gelatin-free red ropes at a white sox game and pooped red for days and oreos and other rip-offs of oreos turn their poop black (we bought newman's own organic ones without hydrogenated oils and they seem better and were the same price).
I first discovered the crustless pbj when my friend's son and my oldest were going to share a kids meal at a then local museum and they hand us this disgusting little circle and a bag of chips...the "meal" cost us five dollars uggh. i have now seen them all over at zoos and museums and elsewhere. we eat enough pbj but there is so little vegan food when we are out and about...oh well.
I VOTE for the "OATMEAL" with the dissolving blue dinosaurs, etc, or the cereals that change color when you add milk .
#185 of 439 Old 05-11-2003, 09:53 PM

Quote:

My DS hated Annie's and only liked Kraft, but he blessed the new Simply Organics brand -- the cheddar is not sharp, it is (naturally colored) orange, and the macaroni are the same shape as Kraft.
Hmm. We may have to try that! I have a friend who has a son with severe irritable bowel and she swears by the whole wheat pasta. I said, yeah, if they only made it in that weird Kraft noodle shape, I'd have it made!!!! DS will eat store brand mac & cheese in a box; I swear I think his "indicator" is the noodle shape alone!
:
#186 of 439 Old 05-11-2003, 10:30 PM

Hey, I have some shredded squid in my purse! (thanks to www.jlist.com) The same folks who revealed CANDY SUSHI..looks like sushi, with it's own chocolate "soy" sauce. The Japanese totally win when it come to food processing. DH ordered pocky from jlist too...including the famous Men's pocky.

And nobody mentioned Peeps?

And, extra-large Lunchables and Happy Meals.

I also saw fried twinkies at the MD sheep and wool festival...guess it's a national trend now.
#187 of 439 Old 05-13-2003, 10:56 PM

Have you seen packaged peanut butter, it comes in slices now like processed cheese slices. Its pretty gross. And such a waste.

Also gross... those lunchable things
Even grosser... the way they market those lunchables to our kids on t.v.
#188 of 439 Old 05-15-2003, 05:55 PM

Ack - what is this stuff???? Looks like cereal, but what self-respecting person will buy this for their child. Man, oh man....

Michelle in NY - mom to ds (5) and dd (10 months)
#189 of 439 Old 05-16-2003, 03:27 PM

Lily started eating baby food last month (at 7 months, when she was ready) and we do a combo of making our own and buying jars of the Earth's Best. So I've been checking out the world of jarred baby foods.
But any of those jarred baby food meats, the sticks and the ones that are just blended and mush. How gross is that! And how much junk they must add so that it doesn't go bad?? I wouldn't even feed my cat that (she eats canned tuna cat food, no meats either), let alone my baby! EEwwww!!

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls ('94, '99 & '02) and to my little guy (12/30/09) intact & CD'ed!
#190 of 439 Old 05-17-2003, 12:06 AM

OK, when i was pregnant, the first three months, i was puking 3x a day, and the only foods i could keep down were...eggo waffles and spaghetti-os.

At least i got the nutri-grain eggos...ummm...

But last summer i taught at an art camp, and at snack time, inevitibly one or more kids would come up to me and ask me to open a tube of something. I was appalled. Pudding, Jello, peanut butter, "yogurt" (yeah right), various and sundry sugary slimy fruit things...

there is nothing less appealing to me than pouring half-liquid slimy goop down my throat.

Except maybe those cookie bars? you know, the ones that on the commercials go flying through the air and all of a sudden get piled on with icing, chocolate coating and THEN chocolate chips? (the oreo ones are the worst.) my husband and i have to avert our eyes when we see that one!

Oh, i have to DEFinitely second the meatsticks thing. No way for my babe. How exactly do you get meat into a stick?
#191 of 439 Old 05-17-2003, 12:49 AM

Oh my, i am getting such a kick out of reading these things.

First of all, my husband and i started eating eggs for breakfast a few years ago when we realized (aside from the fact that they give you more energy than cereal!) that it takes almost as short a time to make 2 eggs as to pour a bowl of cereal and milk, or make instant oatmeal!

AND! to add to the Lunchables discussion, before i had kids, my 2 nieces came for a visit, so i thought i'd be the fun aunt and i bought them each a Lunchable.

Who can sustain it? They are SO EXPENSIVE!!!

V
#192 of 439 Old 05-17-2003, 12:08 PM

I think I have seen the worst packaged food yet...

Eggo waffles with Fruit Loops in them.

#193 of 439 Old 05-17-2003, 05:55 PM

Peeps ........'nuff said. Where I live people actually think they are the true meaning of Easter.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#194 of 439 Old 07-01-2003, 01:29 AM

Came across the green Hershey's Chocolate syrup in the store the other day Just glad I only saw the package & not the stuff itself. I happen to like the original color of chocolate, but I am beginning to feel as if I am in an ever-shrinking minority, kinda like a black & white movie in a technicolor world....sigh
#195 of 439 Old 07-01-2003, 01:30 AM

um, yep...gross!!!!

why oh why do we color ALL FOODS????? I mean c'mon! Really, like most kids just hate brown chocolate milk :
#196 of 439 Old 07-06-2003, 04:15 AM

Has anyone elso seen those little peelets that are supposedly the future of ice cream. We were at the beach and one night went to the boardwalk for ice cream. My 2 nephews wanted them and my sis happily obliged. I had a taste. They were more like little pellets of sweetened chemicals.

The stuff peolpe put into their bodies and the bodies of their children!

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!
#197 of 439 Old 07-07-2003, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just saw the confetti fish sticks - as if fish sticks are not gross enough lets add some colored sprinkles to the outside! Yuck! I am sure it is only a matter of time before my dd eats them at Nana's house...

Larissa, mom to my 3 girls (07/10), (05/02), and (09/98)
#198 of 439 Old 07-09-2003, 11:44 AM

I can't think of much that hasn't already been mentioned here!

I think the items marketed as breakfast to children are probably the worst. I mean, yeah, blue fries are gross and so are Lunchables and all that other garbage, but it sickens me that so many people are startying their kids' days off with sugar and food coloring and thinking that the kids ate breakfast.

And WHAT IS UP with all this "easy" food that no longer requires cooking or even dishes? Milk and cereal prepackaged with a disposable bowl??? Sheesh, is it really that much work to pour some cereal and milk in a bowl? Peanut butter in a tube? Why??? I just don't get it. And these individually packaged things, in addition to being crappy food to begin with and bad for the environment, are SO much more expensive. Are people really that lazy that they're willing to pay twice as much to avoid any preparation or cleanup?

All the colored food, yeccchhhh...the problem in this country is that people assume that kids don't want to eat real food. Well, news flash, that's what they'll eat if that's what you give them. :
#199 of 439 Old 07-09-2003, 02:38 PM

I was at a restaurant while travelling last week and the kids menu read Pocket sandwich- a sandwich basket with a suprise inside, PB&J. When the meal came it was on e of those Uncrustables. I took a bite and I have to sheepishly admit that it was really good. After eating Source of Life bread witht natural peanut butter and natural jam, this tasted just like my mom used to make us----Wonder bread with tons of sugary stuff. Sigh.

But I'll put in my vote for paenut butter slices and the colored fries. I've also tasted those cereal bars with "milk" in them and it was like pouring sugar down my throat (and I am a sugar addict!)
I do kinda understand the color thing. When I make grilled soy cheese, I grate beets into it and it turns out pink and my dd gobbles it up. One of the only veggies she eats!

And those baby meat sticks ughhhhh :Puke
#200 of 439 Old 07-09-2003, 11:09 PM

I'm on WIC (government assistance for moms and kids for food items like milk, etc) and the one complaint i have about it (though i am truly thankful for it, having "lost it all" in the dot com bust) is that you are not allowed to buy natural peanut butter. I looked at every single brand, and each and every one has either partially- or fully-hydrogenated fats. healthy foods for our kids? not *allowed* to buy natural PB? yikes...and to boot, it comes in a tube...yeah, it's weird...:
#201 of 439 Old 07-10-2003, 03:04 AM

you can buy "adams" peanut butter, it's all natural. You can get it without sugar or salt I think
#202 of 439 Old 07-10-2003, 11:40 AM

No, it's that WIC doesn't *allow* you to buy the natural.
It's one thing that they don't allow the PB&J mix, or flavored or "sliced" (thank goodness!) but not being *allowed* to buy healthy food for your kids?

:
#203 of 439 Old 07-12-2003, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by glh
Those baby food meatsticks, they just look disgusting to me.
One of my friends had a friend whose baby would only eat those, and no solids, and she developed little tiny BREASTS by age one. Think they use hormones and crap in those things???
#204 of 439 Old 07-12-2003, 10:49 PM

where are you? i am on WIC in MD & we are allowed to get natural peanut butter, i THINK we can get smuckers & i KNOW we can get crazy richard's, it's in the fridge now.

(i type this as i am eating ranch doritos, cherry vanilla ice cream & a coke. : )

but i don't let my son eat as much junk as i do!
#205 of 439 Old 07-15-2003, 08:08 PM

This thread is a scream. Two stories to relate:

Baby sees new pediatrician at Kaiser Permanente. Baby is 5 months old and just starting rice cereal. Doctor argues with Mommy that jarred baby foods are OK and that Mommy is deluding herself if she thinks she can a) work outside home b) breastfeed baby for as long as possible c) make her own baby food. Um, excuse me? I cook for myself and hubby so what would I do for baby? I mean, how hard is it to mash a banana for goodness sake? Hey, I live in California and have access to year round farmers' markets. I don't think I'm going to feed baby something out of a jar... Oh, and I don't think I'll be seeing that doctor again soon, either. (Sorry to rant)

Second story is real sad. My mom was real good about raising us to eat vegetables, we had a garden and ate zucchini when no one knew what it was, etc. Sunday we were talking about baby's new diet of cereal plus mom juice (our name for breast milk) . I told her I was getting Earth's Best whole grain rice cereal at health food store cuz I felt it was best for baby bear. Her reply "you made it to adulthood didn't you? I never bought organic this or that". Yeah, Mom (now grandma) you grew your own organic before it had a name. SIGH!

Why do I think I have a 21 year food fight on my hands?
#206 of 439 Old 10-05-2003, 02:40 AM

ressurecting this thread cuz a few weeks ago I saw chef boyarde 'complete meals' at the ol' super duper market...maybe its old and i'm behind, but we almost peed our pants....

its a box of bisquick-like pie crust mix. a can of your favorite chef boyarde 'product' (they have RAVIOLI'S, beefaronis, rigatonis, and maybe spagetti, not sure about that one) and some cheese like stuff to melt on top.

its a ravioli pie. how is that remotely food? let alone a meal?

wacky.
#207 of 439 Old 10-05-2003, 09:22 PM

with bright orange filling, ugh. It's seems like soon we won't have any real food left in the "regular" stores & we'll have to go to a health food store for even the basics.
#208 of 439 Old 10-05-2003, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Those toddler 'tv dinner type' meals by gerber that are shelf stable.. my mom bought one for ds as a 'treat' and as soon as she peeled back the cellophane covering the 'chicken and wagon wheels' the cat came running! DS wouldn't touch it, but kitty LOVED it!!

I have to admit, as disgusting as it usually is to me, being pregnant, the one GROSS food that i can't live without is Tostitos Salsa Con Queso.... that jar of cheese whiz with bits of 'salsa' sprinkled in it (looks like vomit, smells like vomit, but tastes great on a tortilla chip!!!)

ANd Chocolate milk.. I drink it by the gallon these days. I'm so ashamed!!
#209 of 439 Old 10-05-2003, 11:28 PM

Don't be ashamed, DandelionCrown, my first pregnancy, I couldn't drink regular milk (made me gag), but drank chocolate milk like crazy. I also couldn't stomach prenatal vitamins-natural or otherwise. The only thing I could keep down were children's chewables-and I don't mean the ones from the health food store-talk about gross!

I have to agree that the colored and flavored french fries and ketchup are super nasty looking-hey maybe you could buy them for your kid to eat TOGETHER! Mmmmm.
The colored goldfish gross me out, as do colored Oreos and animal crackers.
#210 of 439 Old 10-05-2003, 11:34 PM

talk about ashamed....when i was preg and sick, the one thing I could keep down and love it the whole time were those lil choc donuts like from nickles or dolly madison/hostess, whatever. ugh yuck.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page